My Aunt Drew Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm awake. I'll be down in a few minutes."

Thus was the first week of my new existence. Up early, a hardy breakfast, a light but filling lunch, another hardy meal for supper and in bed by 8 or 8:30. After working a half day Saturday I figured I would do some exploring around the property. Scrounging in the kitchen for something to eat she put her hand on my shoulder.

"Get washed up and change. Going to town. We can eat at the Corner café and then you can help me grocery shop. Consuelo always offers but I figure she should be home with her family instead of doing my grocery shopping. Besides, with your help it will be easier getting all that stuff out to the truck."

I had the roast beef blue plate special with a glass of milk. Drew told me to have dessert if I wanted. I ordered a piece of cherry pie, Drew stopped the waitress before she could walk away.

"Bring him two, he's a hard worker and he'll eat both. Probably better bring another glass of milk."

Damned if she wasn't right, I ate both pieces of pie and downed the glass of milk as well. Grocery shopping was another adventure. I was used to gramps old wooden building with plank floors and a few refrigerated cases in the back. This was one of the newer grocery stores, not a general store. There were rows and rows of different kinds of food, an in-house bakery as well as butcher, a full dairy section and the thing that amazed me the most. Checkout counters with belts to move food forward and cash registers that weren't giant brass things.

I almost choked when they rang up the two carts of groceries, it was twice what my weekly pay would be. Drew pulled the truck to the loading area, I put eleven large paper bags of groceries in the back of the truck. When I asked about meat she told me she bought directly from local farmers, had it butchered and kept frozen in a locker facility. Domestic freezers weren't all that common then. Most towns had a butcher shop that rented frozen locker compartments. You could stop in anytime they were open and withdraw meat from your locker.

Which is what we did. Although, the young man at Schillinger's meat shop was anything but friendly. He didn't want to be there on a Saturday afternoon and it was obvious. His words were curt, impolite and snappy. I could see Drew beginning to bristle and took a step backward. When he brought out the meat she told him she wanted she snapped back.

"Let Reinhard know I'll be in on Monday to get the rest of my meat. I don't need your smart-ass attitude."

That was the only cuss word I'd heard her utter in the week I'd been there. On the edge of town was a Sears catalog store who just happened to have a huge domestic chest freezer on display. With a little arm twisting and bargaining she bought it and told them she'd be back in an hour to pick it up but would need help loading. On the way home I asked how we would get it unloaded.

"Oh, it isn't that heavy, you and me can handle it. But I'm not about to spend that kind of money and have them watch me load it. Nope, they can do it for me, I can play the helpless female pretty good when it suits me."

With groceries unloaded and put away we headed back into town. Walking into the Sears store the owner looked surprised. "You're early." He said.

Drew snapped back, "Is that a problem Earl? You and those two lunkheads at the table got nothing else to do. Load my dang freezer."

It quickly became apparent to me why she was so successful, she was no one's door mat. We cleared a space in the garage when we got home and she was right, we had it off the truck in no time. Mind you I didn't have the upper strength to handle it on my own. Between the two of us we lowered first one end and then the other, shoved it in place and plugged it in. When the compressor came on she smiled.

"I won't have to deal with Schillinger's any longer. Reinhard is a great guy but he's getting old and those slouches he has working for him are worthless. This baby will be cold by tomorrow, so we'll go pick up the meat Monday afternoon. Consuelo will love having this available, she's always running out of freezer space."

In the house she asked if I liked American Bandstand, I nodded yes.

"Good, because that's what I watch every Saturday at 6:30. I also make cheeseburgers with chips and a Pepsi. You okay with that?"

Wow, I'd hit the jackpot. "That sounds great Drew."

She laughed softly, "Now you're gettin it boy. Tomorrow night we'll have leftovers and watch Ed Sullivan. Listen Roy, I'm gonna take a short nap before I start supper. Do what you like but make sure you're back in the house by six for supper."

I was tired enough that I chose to do the same. What woke me was the smell of onions being fried and hamburger in the frying pan. I sliced fresh buns we'd picked up at the bakery as she was putting cheese on the burgers. She pointed to a bag of Jay's potato chips lying on the table. I emptied the bag into a bowl about the same time she was putting the cheeseburgers together.

While watching Martha and the Vandellas lip sync Heat Wave we devoured the burgers and chips. I hadn't had a pop for weeks, so an entire bottle of Pepsi was a treat. In the past it was always a glass for me and a glass for mother. Sunday I spent exploring the property, including an old dilapidated shed. Inside was it dark and musty smelling, pushing the doors open enough to let in some sunlight my heart stopped for a moment.

In the corner was a 1949 Ford coupe. I happened to know it was the first full size new design Ford produced since world war two. How did I know? My grandpa had one just like it in black. This one was brown with chrome bumpers. Chrome wasn't available on vehicles during the war years, everything went into the war machine as they called it. It was coated in dust and pigeon droppings, the tires were flat and dry rotted. Opening the driver's door the fragrance of old upholstery billowed out. Everything appeared to be original, just neglected. My mind went into overdrive wondering who it belonged to and if there was any possibility I might be able to buy it when I saved enough money. I was just about to sit in it when I heard Drews' voice.

"What are you doing in here Roy? I don't recall telling you it was okay to go snooping in the shed. Close the door and leave."

I wasn't sure what the fuss was about but I also knew I needed to do as she'd told me. As I walked away I looked back, her hand was on the hood, she was bent over and looked as though she was crying. I wasn't sure how deep in shit I was, but I was in it for sure. I wasted no time in the house and went directly to my room. Even though it was late afternoon and I was getting hungry, no way in hell was I coming out to face another berating, I'd go to bed hungry and eat more in the morning.

That lasted until around seven when my bladder was ready to burst. I snuck down the stairs as quietly as possible, took care of business and tried sneaking back upstairs. As I walked in the room who should I find sitting on my bed but Drew. I stopped in my tracks staring at her. She didn't speak, she simply pointed to the chair across the room which I wisely sat in.

"I owe you an apology Roy. You were just curious, there was no reason for me to yell at you. The car, you seemed to like it."

Before she could go on I blurted, "Yes, it's a '49 coupe, my grandpa had one. Oh wait, he was your dad, sorry. Anyway I know all about it."

With a sad smile she spoke, "That car belonged to my late husband. I brought it with me when I bought this place."

"But wait. I thought you had never been married."

"That's what my folks and your mom believed, so I let them. After two or three waitress jobs along the way, saving a bit of money at each place, I ended up in California where I married a realty developer. A very successful developer by the way. His weakness was surfing, he was passionate about it, it's also what killed him. The beaches were closed but he and his brother just had to ride the huge swells coming as a storm approached. Talk about a tragedy, they both died that day."

My mouth was hanging open, "But how did you get here if you lived in California?"

"I was the sole beneficiary of his wealth and no idea what to do. His dad offered to buy the business and I accepted. I came here with enough money to buy this property, start the business and build it to what it is today. I could probably live off what I have invested, but that's not me. I need to work, and I wouldn't think of abandoning the people who work for me."

I no longer felt like I was neck deep in alligators, but I wasn't going to push it either.

"Thanks for telling me Aunt Drew. I mean Drew. I won't go near it again."

"Aren't you hungry Roy? You didn't come down for supper."

"I'm starved, but I thought you were mad at me."

She stood and beckoned me to follow. I finished off the leftover fried chicken from Friday's lunch and was looking for more when she laughed.

"Holy cow, do you have a hollow leg? There's some chocolate cake in the pantry, have some of that."

I was wolfing the last bite when she stood, walked to me, bent over and kissed the top of my head.

"Sorry about earlier Roy, sleep well. We got work again tomorrow."

At work we settled into the regular routine, me working with the ladies and Drew running the entire show. While eating breakfast one morning she brought up the '49.

"If you want to tinker with the coupe I don't mind. Alvin would want that. Letting it sit and rot isn't something that would please him. I'll make a deal with you. I'll have new tires put on it and you pay me back with half your paycheck each week until they're paid for. I have the money and could make it a gift, but there's a lesson involved. What we get for nothing doesn't have the same value as what we pay for."

With new tires on the car I could at least move it back and forth in the shed. I drained the gas tank and carb, put in new fuel and tried to start it. Foolish me, I hadn't given the battery a thought. It took me another two weeks to be able to afford a battery without any help from Drew. When I walked from the farm supply store carrying the battery I felt like I was on top of the world. Pushing me aside to sit in the passenger seat she handed me the keys.

"You're driving Roy. Keep it between the white lines."

I bought the battery on Saturday, Sunday afternoon just after three the engine came to life. I was beaming inside, I couldn't stop smiling. Putting it in gear I slowly engaged the clutch hoping it would move, as it inched forward I let out a hoop and holler. Put it in reverse and back in place. As I closed the door getting out I heard soft clapping to my right. Drew was standing with a grin and chuckling softly.

"You did good Roy. It reminds me a lot of Alvin. He wasn't much taller than you and was slight in build like you. He had a little more bulk to his body, but you'll get there. If it's running I suppose we should register it."

As the days turned into weeks I became acquainted with all the different aspects of the business. By late summer I was working with Drew more than anywhere else. It was as if she was training me for something I wasn't aware of. By fall I was taking orders and scheduling deliveries. The more I did the happier Drew seemed to be. Some of the older workers began asking about me, who I was, why was I living at the house, was I related? Drew settled it one day at lunch. Standing to get everyone's attention she started.

"I'm aware there have been numerous questions about Roy. I'm going to explain and from here forward I don't want to hear anymore. Number one. Roy is a guest in my house whether others like it or not. Number two. He's being trained to help run the business in the future. Number three. Who and what he is to me is none of your business. That's the long and short of it. Back to work."

I didn't hear another word about it that day and I don't think she did either. Her answer caught me off guard to say the least, and yet it didn't. From that day forward the relationship between us changed as well. She was a softer person when others weren't around, more engaging in conversation. I also noticed that she was more inquisitive of my past as well as what my aspirations for the future were. With the push on for holiday flowers it was a mad house, long hours, strenuous work and not as much sleep.

The week before Christmas was the last delivery until the first of the year, it surprised me when we didn't go out the Monday of Christmas week. I stood at the door expecting Drew to walk into the kitchen. When she did she was still in her pj's and slippers. I shrugged my shoulders and put my arms out to the side in a 'what gives' gesture.

She smiled. "You didn't read the notice on the bulletin board did you? You never read the notices. We're closed until the first other than deliveries next week and checking the greenhouses each day to make sure they're warm enough. We'll do that after breakfast. I'm afraid you're stuck with my cooking this week and next, Consuelo is off the same as the others."

"Who's going to cut and put the orders together if everyone is off except the drivers?"

She pointed at me, "We are Roy. You know what to do, between the two of us I think we can handle it. One more thing, you're taking me to Christmas Eve service at the little church on the edge of town. Do you have Sunday clothes?"

"The only nice clothes I have are the ones I graduated in."

She scoffed, "Those will never fit, you've gained at least twenty pounds since you got here. You've gotten taller as well? You look an inch or two higher than before."

"I don't think so. I don't feel any taller."

"Well the length your pants says otherwise. Stand right there, I'm gonna get my tape measure."

Patting me on the shoulder after measuring my height she turned me around.

"Sixty-six and a half inches. You told me you were five foot five when you left home, you've grown an inch and a half. Good job Roy. Hard work and good food were all you needed for that growth spurt. You're growing into a man. Isn't your birthday in February?"

How did she remember all that stuff, furthermore why was it important?

"Yes, it's in February. Why?"

"Just making sure I have my facts right. By the way, we're going to town today and buy you some dress clothes, it wouldn't hurt to get some different work clothes either. Your pants are too short and your shoes have worn out."

I was glad we were going to town, I wanted to get her something for Christmas but didn't want to try and find something when we went grocery shopping. J.C. Penney was having a big last minute Christmas sale where we picked out new slacks and shirts for me along with some flannel shirts and new jeans. We were standing at the edge of the women's delicate's, as she called them, turning to me she said.

"Wander around a little on your own, I need to shop in here. I'll meet you by the front door in twenty minutes."

During our shopping she had stopped near a table that had silk scarves and commented how nice they were before we moved on. I used my twenty minutes to buy her not one, but two scarves. I had them wrapped right away and was reaching to take the box from the lady when Drew walked up.

"I told you twenty minutes Roy. Where you been?"

I surprised myself by having an answer instead of cowering. "I needed to have a gift wrapped."

She gave me a smirk, "A gift? Who do know that you bought a gift for?"

I could feel a tear welling in my eyes, I looked down and walked past her to the front door. I was just outside the building when I felt a tug on my arm.

I looked at her and said, "What."

Pointing to the gift-wrapped box she said, "That's for me isn't it. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset. Let me make it up to you, I know you like fried chicken, Dizzy Deans Tavern has an all you can eat chicken tonight. Why don't we go there after we stop at the farm store?"

At the farm store we got a pair of boots and a winter coat for me and an insulated vest for Drew. I commented on the vest on the way to the tavern.

She laughed, "Yeah, it helps keep my (she was patting her chest) my uh, my ta-ta's warm.

I laughed a little, she slugged me in the shoulder and scolded. "Don't laugh, you aren't a girl, you wouldn't know."

It was the first she'd shown me affection of any kind, it was as if I was being accepted into her otherwise dark and lonely world. A world I knew all too well. I ate like a hog at the tavern, after my third plate of chicken the owner stopped at the table and looked at Drew with a smile.

"Don't bring him in here for chicken anymore, he'll bankrupt me. Just pullin yer chain kid, you're welcome with Drew anytime. But next time eat before coming here."

All three of us were laughing as he walked away. Drew yelled out "Another Pabst please."

He nodded and kept on walking. Two minutes later a cold bottle of Pabst Blue Ribbon was sitting in front of her. Following a substantial swig she pointed the bottle to me.

"You want a swig?"

I was embarrassed when I answered, "I've never had a beer. I don't know if I like it."

Sliding the bottle to me, "Now's as good a time as any to find out. It's an acquired taste so it may take more than one drink to know if you like it. Go ahead, take a sip."

Ugh, that was nasty. I set the bottle and slid to her.

"No, I don't like it."

There was a devious look in her eyes when she said, "Mmmm, you might, time will tell."

On the way out of town she stopped at the Boy Scout Christmas tree lot. Walking through it she talked to me.

"I haven't had a tree since I moved here, maybe we should get one this year. I know where the ornaments are, I don't think I have any lights that work anymore, but hey, we don't need lights."

With a tree in the bed of the truck we drove home. I had the tree inside and secured in an old stand when she said she wanted to wait to decorate until it warmed and the branches filled out. I watered it and sat next to her on the couch.

"Drew, can we make a popcorn string tomorrow after we're done in the greenhouse?"

That question prompted another surprise, reaching over she took my hand in hers.

"Your mom did that didn't she." I nodded. "Yeah, as girls we did that every Christmas. Sure, we'll do a popcorn string or two." Then she laughed. "What about a paper chain? I have lots of construction paper and we can make some paste. I haven't done that since I was a small kid."

I fell asleep that night with a feeling of belonging somewhere, something I hadn't felt in years. We made two popcorn strings and a paper chain the next afternoon. Supper was Oscar Mayer wieners and baked beans Consuelo had made the day she left. 'None of that stuff from a can' Drew had mumbled as she warmed them. The next three days were days of relaxation, we would sleep until around seven, have a leisurely breakfast, take care of things in the morning and have the afternoons to ourselves. The guys made deliveries on Monday and Tuesday, with Christmas on Friday nothing was scheduled until the 28th. Drew had commented that New Year's Eve generated a lot of business with corsages and such.

On Christmas eve I was bathed, dressed and ready to go by seven. The service began at 8 and I didn't want to be a reason we might be late. You might say an early present for me was when Drew walked into the living room. I wondered where the hard working take no prisoners person had gone. In front of me was a woman, a good-looking woman. Her dress was red with little green hollies throughout. (It was 1963)

I'd never seen her hair styled before, or makeup of any kind. It was common for her to wear earrings, but never anything as fancy as what she had on. What caught my eye the most was the shimmer of her stockings and high heels. They had to be at least three inches, I remembered mom had a similar pair. The service was short and sweet, everyone was invited to stay for punch and cookies. As we headed for the basement she took my arm.