All Comments on 'My Brother’s Best Friend'

by lisarowe

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

use of the ‘latinx’ label is despicably racist, as it pretends as if all people of Latin heritage are equivalent, when the cultural differences and beauty of people from Spain, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, central and South America are all wildly different and unique. Using ‘latinx’ in your writing implies you see them all as equivalent, just as racist as someone saying ‘all black people look the same’ or some other equally offensive collapsing of culture differences.

muskyboymuskyboyover 2 years ago

I gave you a 5 because I want to encourage you to continue. This is not a story, it is an interesting premise, and the beginning of a story. i think you should have written at least one additional extended scene before submitting for publication. Hopefully you have the entire story at least outlined so you can submit often enough to keep readers interest. Accurate tags and submitting in the correct category are very important also. Readers follow specific categories and if you have submitted to the incorrect category you will have difficulty developing loyal readers or higher scores. Good luck.

lisarowelisaroweover 2 years agoAuthor

@muskyboy Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I know it isn’t quite there yet. I just got so excited by the idea and what I have that I kind of jumped the gun and wanted to share it already. However, now I don’t even have the inspiration for it anymore. Life, especially college and only the 3rd week too, has made me sad. I’m really angry at myself for not at least getting to the sex part so that I wouldn’t leave any readers who were interested hanging. But no. Hopefully this will just fall into the abyss until I update it myself for me. And maybe someone will find it again.

lisarowelisaroweover 2 years agoAuthor

@Anonymous I was not aware that the term was offensive and I apologize and will no longer use it! Thank you for correcting me, but please understand that my attention is not to be racist. And I don’t like the tone you are using with me (although it is hard to tell tones through text at all). I stated in my author’s note clearly that I am not part of the Hispanic community and would love to be informed to make sure I am accurately depicting the characters who are in my story! But please be kind about it instead of coming off like my intention was to disrespect. I may be igorant, but I a not bigoted. Thank you for your comment though and making me aware!

FlynnTalwarFlynnTalwarover 2 years ago

Lisa, I gave you 5 stars because I like your writing style and the premise could go anywhere from here. Reading about Ricardo and her dad made me feel suffocated so you got that vibe right. Her bro is especially a hypocrite.

Try to set it up for a twist later on if you can think of one. I've been writing for 25 years, some professionally, so I want to say don't give up even if this one doesn't go how you intend. You're just going to get better.

Kudos on interracial relationships; I'm doing the same thing with my stories here because there's simply not enough unfetishized representation, especially portraying women. From one WoC to another, keep it going!

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Not much of a story

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous