All Comments on 'My Dad's Valentine'

by greenday0418

Sort by:
  • 18 Comments
servant111servant111over 2 years ago

Great love story… but a little over written. There are many instances where you throw a paragraph out in places where a sentence or properly placed phrase would have sufficed. This slows the flow. One example is the proposal scene. You spend a lot of text over explaining the ex wife’s valentine proposal prior to the act. It might have worked better to have him propose with some sappy text of love with her response THEN a sentence referring to his previous proposal and how very special this act will be now.

It is a great tale. A little time tightening up would make it even better.

Of course 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Beautiful story. Thank you.

woodwardwoodwardover 2 years ago

Great story!!!!!

charlie48charlie48over 2 years ago

Wonderful story, yes some mistakes and grammar but it didn't spoil the tale.

Five stars

Thank you.

Grant_GlapsvidhrsonGrant_Glapsvidhrsonover 2 years ago

5 Stars.

While this is in the Romance section, it reminds me of much of what draws me to the LW section (which Greenday0418 also writes much in). And by that I mean that nothing hurts worse emotionally than losing someone you love, whether it be through betrayal, random mayhem, or bad decisions.

There are times where people think the LW crowd (authors and readers) are just angry and bitter, but while we fight against betrayal there are things we fight for too... and this paragraph from this story symbolizes it perfectly:

"Woken up by my alarm clock at 6:00, I realized I had slept seven hours straight, and the thought of going to see Betty had me jumping out of bed. So I ran to the kitchen, made coffee, and cleaned myself up. I even shaved and splashed some men's cologne on my face before heading out to borrow some supplies from Jim Murphy, an old retired friend of Marta's and mine. I remembered something I told him at the funeral of his wife, Lois, six years ago when he was suicidal. I told him over and over will he couldn't kill himself until he had no unfinished business in his life. I made it up, but people have told me if you say something over and over, eventually someone will believe it. He owns the construction company I recommend for residential projects. I knocked on his door."

Those of us who have felt utterly alone after the loss of the most important person in our lives never wants anyone else to feel the way we did.

Beautiful V-Day story Greenday0418!

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66over 2 years ago

Gosh, what a sweet, engaging story. Perfect for Valentine's Day. Thank you! Easily 🌟 🌟 🌟🌟🌟

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Thanks, I needed that. 5*

It played with my heart.

Watery eyes are caused by too much dust from cutting wallboard.

Ravey19Ravey19over 2 years ago

Not sure about being in LW category but timing wise it's a cracking Halloween story, to my mind, as well as Romance. A few small errors but nothing to detract from this sweet tale of finding love after tragedy.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 2 years ago

Lovely story and very enjoyable. I liked the “beating Valentine’s Day” theme (I used it in my story, too), and was glad that Marta apparently found peace. Finally, since it was romance, the “no sex” tag and Betty’s statement in the story was a refreshing change from many other stories. Great job, 5*.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Not erotic at all, but I really like this story! :-)

Plus, I've got tears in my eyes now... ;')

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Greenday, I'd not seen your work before, but this one was just a delight. There wasn't an element that hasn't been used extensively, but it was executed so well I didn't notice. The humor & goodwill of the characters overwhelmed any nit-picking. Bravo! 'Really well done.

tinfoilhattinfoilhatalmost 2 years ago

A definite tear jerker for me. Well done.

Ghoti007Ghoti007over 1 year ago

Excellent. As we would say in the Navy, "Bravo Zulu!"

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Sad but lovely and hopeful.

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker9 months ago

To many memories for me to finish.. so you hit some ... Touchy places.. good story to do that.. but it brought back.. never mind... Give yea 10 but it only goes so far... Keep up coming.. your on your way to join the other group of the well thought of... 👍🤔🤷😁

Calico75Calico758 months ago

A sad but lovely story of loss and hope.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

A sudden ending does nothing to take away from this Five stars tale.

JPB NOT BOB

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usergreenday0418@greenday0418
New story submitted for ON THE JOB 2023 in Romance. This one took me two years to finish. New meds seem to help. Still no cure, but there is hope for Alzheimer's treatment to slow down the disease.

SIMILAR Stories

Save One Love 
4.9
1.5k
485
Let Go 
4.7
1.6k
836
I'm 51 
4.83
737
578
The Unicorn 
4.84
1.9k
606
More Stories