My Darkest Hour Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Maggie had lost hope. She knew that returning home was more of a risk than a payoff, but felt like she had no choice. She was out of options and out of time. She decided to go to their bedroom to try and find something, anything to help get a location on where Michael was. She started with the clothing that was still on the floor from the previous night. She searched Michael's pants pocket and found a crumpled up napkin.

When Maggie opened it, she was shocked to find a name and a number. The name said Taylor, and there was a local number written in pen underneath. She now had the name of the mysterious woman who had kidnapped Michael. At least, that was the theory she was going to run with.

Maggie considered calling the woman but if by some chance Michael wasn't dead, it might get him killed.

She sat down on her bed, and held her head in her hands. The last possible hope of saving him seemed like it was lost. She couldn't risk calling, and she was out of all other options. She felt an emotion that she hadn't felt in almost a century- remorse. It was her fault that he was in this position. She had pushed him too hard to try and get him to feed to the point that she didn't take his own humanity into consideration, something that she should still possess herself.

Maggie curled up into a ball and tearlessly cried. Any hope of finding Michael seemed lost. She picked up Michael's shirt off the ground, trying to comfort herself with his scent. She could feel the walls keeping her emotions at bay crumbling as she started to fall apart herself. She would never forgive herself for whatever horrible fate had befallen Michael.

Suddenly, Maggie heard a car approaching. At first, she didn't think anything of it, but she could hear the unmistakable heart palpitations of fear. Whoever had pulled up close to the house reeked of it. She sat up, and darted out the back door to see who it was and what they were doing. As she darted towards the fence she could see a car waiting in the darkness, parked by the curb. As her inhuman eyes pierced the darkness, she could see that the person inside the vehicle was breathing rapidly, and he had a firearm in his hand

Maggie could see that the driver side window was open, and she could compel him. Unfortunately, compulsion only worked if there was nothing between them. She darted over to the driver's side door, scaring the man as he screamed.

Maggie stared deep into his soul and worked her magic on him. "You will not resist me,and you will obey my every order. You will walk out of this car silently, and follow me." She commanded.

The man obeyed, and shut the car off then stepped out.

Maggie walked towards her house, and opened the door. She let the man in, and closed the door. "Sit on the couch." Maggie told him.

The man complied, and sat down. He still had the pistol in his hand and longed to shoot her, but his body would not obey him.

"You will tell me why you are here, and why you were waiting at my house." Maggie told the man.

"I was told that another vampire dwelled here after we picked up the half blooded vampire. I was working up the nerve to kill you." The man replied.

Maggie took a step back, shocked. Whoever had kidnapped Michael knew that he was a half vampire. She had suspected that they knew what he was, but was not certain until now. "How were you going to kill me?" Maggie asked.

The man reached into his jacket and pulled out a wooden stake. He held it out to Maggie, who took it.

Maggie was now the nervous one. While a human wasn't fast or strong enough to kill a vampire while awake, they could kill a vampire while asleep. If she had been asleep, the man could have easily killed her. If they intended to kill her, Michael was certainly going to die. She needed to find him, before they killed him if they hadn't already.

"Where is Michael being held?" Maggie asked.

"In an abandoned construction site, north of Salem off I5." The man replied.

"Does he still live?" Maggie asked.

The man shook his head. "I don't know." The man replied.

Maggie seethed in anger, and longed to kill the man. Even though she wanted to kill him, she had promised Michael that she would change. However, if Michael was dead she would avenge him. "You will stay on that couch. You will not move, you will not talk and you will not attempt to escape." She commanded him.

The man nodded, and remained motionless.

Maggie didn't have time to deal with him, so she would decide what to do with him later.

Maggie looked at the clock, and saw that it was 4:23 in the morning. She had an hour and a half before the sun came up. She decided to bring up Google maps to see if she could locate the abandoned construction site. After a few minutes of searching, she located what looked to be an empty lot. She switched to satellite view and it was indeed an abandoned construction site.

Not wasting any time, Maggie darted to the car, and started the engine. She backed out of the driveway, and floored it. She wasn't concerned about the police, she would just compel them to forget her. As she raced to the phone location, every fiber of her being feared it was too late.

CHAPTER EIGHT

"Why are you hell bent on exposing vampires to the world?" Michael asked Taylor. He had a splitting headache from the tranquilizer he had been injected with. His healing factor wasn't completely gone, as his arm had started to partially heal. The bleeding had slowed, although it hadn't completely stopped.

"Because supernatural creatures pose a threat to humans. If there are werewolves and vampires in a city this small, there must be a huge population of them." Taylor told him.

Michael held his head up with difficulty. "There are werewolves?" Michael asked. He had never really thought about there being other supernatural creatures besides vampires.

Taylor nodded as she checked his restraints. "Yes, there are werewolves. They are the main reason we started this coalition. There has been a werewolf killing innocent people in and around Salem. We managed to get video footage from a trail cam set in the woods. Now, because of you, we now have footage of both werewolves and vampires." Taylor responded.

Michael's heart sank. "Can I ask you something?" He asked.

Taylor was conflicted but nodded.

Michael took a deep breath then exhaled slowly. "Do you know why I chose this fate?" He asked Taylor.

Taylor wasn't sure that she wanted to know the answer. Still, it would give her better insight into the mind of a vampire. "Why did you turn into a vampire?" She asked.

Michael's eyes seemed to stare right through her. "The night that I met Maggie, the vampire was the night I was going to kill myself. I was going to shoot myself in the head. Earlier that day I was going to propose to my girlfriend, but I caught her in bed with my best friend. I was just going to the bar long enough to get drunk enough not to care, then I was going to end it. That's when I met Maggie. Something told me she was dangerous but I didn't care." Michael told her.

Taylor was intrigued now. "What happened after you met her?" She asked.

Michael tried to laugh then winced in pain. "She wanted nothing to do with me at first. I didn't know it at the time but she was there to feed. She finally got fed up with me and compelled me to follow her. Once she brought me to her house, she attacked me. I told her that she would be doing me a favor by killing me. She stopped attacking me, and asked why I felt that way. I told her the same thing that I told you." Michael replied.

"What happened after that?" Taylor asked.

Michael smiled weakly. "A bunch of things that I'm not going to repeat. All you need to know about that was I asked to have one last night of pleasure before she killed me. The next day she told me that she didn't want to kill me, but would if I wanted her to. She gave me several choices that involved my status ranging from human, to half blooded vampire to full blooded or even dead. The point I'm trying to make is that the reason I chose this fate was to take away the pain I feel. This curse that afflicts me, I welcome with open arms because it is better than the devastation I felt as a human. I have not ever consumed a drop of blood, and I don't want to either. The thirst is nothing compared to what I've faced before." Michael told her.

Taylor had to turn away. What he had told her resonated with had happened to her. She had even contemplated suicide in the past. Hearing what happened to him brought up bitter memories of her former marriage. She wiped tears from her eyes and started to walk away.

"Wait!" Michael pleaded.

Taylor took a deep breath and calmed herself. She turned back to Michael and walked up to him. "What is it?" She inquired.

Michael looked like he wanted to cry. "When will I die?" He asked in a shaky voice.

Taylor didn't want to tell him. They were going to kill him in less than ten minutes. Still, she owed him that much. "You have ten minutes. We have everything we need." Taylor responded.

Michael had a look of pure terror on his face. "I don't want to die alone. Can you stay with me until it's over?" He asked. Despair had taken hold of him. He wanted anything to cling onto and Taylor was the only source of comfort in this God forsaken place.

Taylor shook her head, fighting back tears. She turned and walked away as fast as she could. She hid behind a pillar, and made sure Gavin wasn't around. Luckily, he was in the car preparing to kill Michael. She started sobbing. She had been told when joining that vampires were soulless, heartless and remorseless killers. Michael had proved them wrong in less than five hours. She regretted ever telling the Coalition about Michael and regretted joining the Coalition even more. She wished more than anything that she could set him free but knew it was impossible. Gavin would kill her before that happened.

Suddenly, Taylor heard the car door open. She walked back to Michael, and attempted to regain her composure.

Michael noticed that she had been crying. He thought that she had been crying earlier, but didn't know for certain. He heard the sounds of footsteps approaching, as the man named Gavin approached him with an evil triumphant grin.

"Your time has come, bloodsucker!" Gavin exclaimed. He walked over to the table, and picked up the baseball bat and approached Michael. Without hesitation, he swung the bat as hard as he could, and hit Michael's leg with a sickening thud. He laughed as Michael screamed. He then hit him in the same place, watching his leg break as his blood sprayed on the floor.

Taylor turned away, absolutely horrified by what was happening. She ran behind a pillar and puked, listening to Michael's screams as Gavin tortured him mercilessly. She couldn't take it anymore. Michael didn't deserve this, and she should never have told the Coalition about them. Michael was innocent, more innocent than she ever was. Taylor psyched herself up, and walked towards Gavin.

"That is enough! He does not deserve this!" Taylor screamed.

Gavin turned around to face Taylor, his eyes wild with murderous intent. "Why the fuck are you stopping me? He deserves to die!" He shouted back. His knuckles tightened on the bat. Michael's blood dripped from his bat as more blood covered the floor.

"From my point of view you are more of a monster than him! He has yet to even consume human blood while you paint the floor with his!" Taylor screamed. Her adrenaline started pumping, getting ready for a fight.

Gavin pointed the bat at Michael, pissed off by what Taylor had said. "Don't forget which side you belong on! He may not have drank blood in the past, but he will! It is inevitable. Don't tell me you've gone soft for this disgusting leech!" He replied, spitting on Michael.

"Gavin, look at yourself! You're covered in his blood! If you kill him, you're no better than the monsters we want to expose." Taylor told him, trying to calm him down and see reason.

"What are you suggesting?" Gavin asked, enraged.

"Leave him here and we can run! The world will see them for what they are! The fate of the entire vampire and werewolf races are already sealed." Taylor told him, stepping between both Michael and Gavin.

Gavin shook his head and pointed the bat at her. "Move, now! He dies tonight." Gavin ordered.

Taylor shook her head and stood her ground, shielding Michael.

Michael was confused at the change of heart in Taylor. His entire body was in agonizing pain, and his vision was blurry from getting hit repeatedly in the head. He had a splitting headache, and had a deafening ringing in his ears. For the first time, he had a glimmer of hope that he might survive.

Gavin threw the bat down, and withdrew a large knife from his belt loop. He pointed it at Taylor. "If you do not move, you are no better than the leech scum and deserve death too. Move now, or I will kill you." He spat at her. Malice dripped from every word he spoke.

Taylor said nothing and stood her ground.

"Taylor, don't do this!" Michael pleaded. He did not want her to die in vain. He had never felt more helpless.

Taylor ignored Michael and shielded him.

Gavin's face turned red with anger as he yelled, and lunged at Taylor. He plunged his knife deep into her stomach, causing her to scream in pain. He pulled the knife out, and stabbed her again in the stomach, punching her as he did so.

Taylor gasped and screamed in pain as the cold steel impaled her. She weakly tried to fight him off, but it was no use. She collapsed to the floor, the searing pain indescribable as her blood poured out of the wound. She applied pressure to her stomach as she tried to stop the bleeding.

Gavin then pointed the blood stained blade at Taylor, and stared at Michael with murder in his eyes. "Look what you did to her! You may not have drank blood yet, but hers is on your hands. Now, you die." He shouted at Michael.

Michael closed his eyes as Gavin raised the blade high above his head, preparing himself for the final blow. Suddenly, his hands were freed as he fell to the floor. He was too weak from injuries and blood loss to stand up. He felt Gavin cut the chains from his feet, but not for the reason he was hoping.

"Look at you, a pitiful excuse for an immortal creature. Your kind are worshipped as gods, but here you are dying. You don't even have the strength to stand up." Gavin mocked him, laughing as he kicked him in the head.

Michael tried to pull himself away from Gavin and towards Taylor but it was no use. His muscles didn't obey him.

Taylor tried to reach out to Michael, but Gavin swatted her hand away.

Gavin then kicked Michael, and flipped him onto his back. He started to raise the knife above Michael's chest but stopped. He threw the knife aside, and wrapped his hands around Michael's neck. "You don't deserve a quick death, leech!" He shouted.

Michael tried to use his good hand to fend off Gavin but it was no use. He gasped for air as Gavin's hands constricted his windpipe. He clawed at Gavin's hands, but he was too weak.

Suddenly, a gust of wind ransacked the place as Gavin suddenly collapsed onto the floor. Michael then felt icy cold arms wrap around him, and pull him away from both Gavin and Taylor.

"No, save Taylor!" Michael exclaimed. He tried to swat away Maggie's hand but his body would not obey him.

"Are you nuts? Look at you! They kidnapped you and were going to kill you! I had another one show up at the house!" Maggie replied.

Michael shook his head. "Maggie, put me down! Save her!" He pleaded.

Maggie stopped, beyond frustration. Michael was mortally wounded and needed blood. He would not survive the night with his wounds. She reluctantly walked over to Taylor and set Michael down beside her.

Michael shook Taylor, forcing her to stay awake. "Stay with me!" He exclaimed.

Maggie was bewildered as to why he was trying to save her after what she did.

"Taylor, take her blood! She can heal you!" Michael told Taylor.

Taylor shook her head no, and held Michael's hand. "I deserve this. Everything that has happened to you was because of me." She felt so sleepy and cold. She no longer felt the pain of the wounds as she had lost sensation in the lower half of her body.

Michael shook his head this time. "You can repay me by not dying! Take her blood, I'm not giving you a choice! You won't turn." He told Taylor. Michael then looked up at Maggie. "Please, save her! I'll explain afterwards." He pleaded with her.

Maggie sighed in frustration, then bit her wrist, drawing blood. She then poured the blood onto Taylor's stab wounds. Within seconds, they were healed. "She will survive. Now, we need to get the hell out of here! The sun will be rising in less than an hour!" She exclaimed.

Suddenly, Gavin stirred behind them. Maggie turned around and grabbed him, as quick as lightning. She held him against the ground beside Michael. She had used restraint when she punched him, only knocking him out which was why he had regained consciousness.

Maggie suddenly had an idea. Michael was going to die without blood, and needed it urgently. In her eyes, the man had done more than enough to justify his death. "Michael, you need blood now! You will die without it! Take his blood!" Maggie ordered him.

Michael wanted to argue, but knew she was right. He grabbed Gavin's wrist and prepared to bite down.

"Wait!" Taylor said suddenly.

Michael looked at her, confused. "What is it?" He asked.

Taylor began to shed tears. "Don't taint yourself with his blood. Take mine, I offer it willingly. I don't deserve the second chance you've given me. Please, allow me this. I am so sorry for everything I have done, and I couldn't ever begin to make things right." Taylor pleaded.

Michael looked to Maggie for guidance, and she nodded.

Maggie looked down at the man in her chokehold. With one twitch, she snapped his neck and his heart ceased to beat.

Michael took Taylor's arm, and secured her wrist firmly.

"I am sorry, this is going to hurt." Maggie told Taylor.

Taylor nodded, then brought her wrist to Michael's mouth.

The beast inside Michael finally broke free. He bit into Taylor's wrist, cutting her artery clean open and spraying blood in his mouth. The taste disgusted him, but was simultaneously the most delicious thing he ever tasted. The fire in his throat was finally quenched at last, as Taylor's blood filled him.

Michael felt his strength returning, and his wounds began to heal very slowly. His broken bones were still protruding out of his flesh, but slowly returning to their proper place.

Maggie cut open her wrist again, and poured it on Taylor's wrist causing it to heal. She studied Michael, and realized that his wounds were healing too slowly. "Michael, you need more blood to heal. She cannot give you what you need. You need vampire blood too, or you will die from your wounds. You will bleed out before you heal." Maggie told him. She cut her wrist open, and let Michael drink her blood.

"In the future, vampire blood will not work long term, and does not quench the thirst like human blood will. It can temporarily give you increased strength and regeneration, but the effects will fade within an hour. You will need to feed regularly to maintain your healing factor." Maggie explained as Michael finished drinking her blood.

When Michael was fully healed, Maggie was satisfied. "Now that everyone is alive more or less, we need to get the hell out of here! The sun will be rising soon and I still need to destroy the evidence." Maggie informed both Michael and Taylor.

"We had gas cans that we were going to use to burn the place. We could use that to destroy the evidence!" Taylor suggested.

Maggie nodded. "That will work. Do that while I gather the computers and cameras. I assume that they were here for a reason." Maggie told them.