My Journey Ch. 02 - Katherine

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Oh no, it wasn't that short but the last time I saw Mary Beth in March, it was just past my shoulders. It has been just over a full year and a half since we graduated college. I saw her a few months ago in March but I couldn't wait to see her, to hold her and kiss her.

As I pounded the pavement and listened to a mix tape that included Styx, Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, Def Leppard and Journey. I thought back to our conversation earlier this week. She did say was very excited to see me but didn't confirm her schedule for Friday or what her Sunday plans were. I only assumed we would go to church with our parents but hoped to spend the day together.

I finished my long run and headed right to the shower. Clothes and all I jumped in letting the shower rinse the sweat away. I dropped my shirt and sports bra, then my shorts and spandex.

I let the water flow on my head relaxing as I was just breathing. I washed my hair and then slowly ran the loofah over my body, cleaning the sweat and grime paying special attention to my arms and legs. That Georgia red clay can be a pain in the ass but then again the one Sergeant always said that Ft. Stewart laid either on sand or on red clay so deal with it.

I took time this morning and shaved my legs, armpits and groomed my 'V' hoping MB and I would find time to enjoy each other.

I dressed in my BDUs with time to spare. I wasn't as fond of the new lightweight BDU's. They had button tabs on the side which gathered some of the materials in, making them seem more form fitting. I wasn't a fan. I was scampering out the door and saw out of the corner of my eye the red blinking light from the answering machine. I stopped, turned around and pressed play.

You have two new messages the mechanical voice stated.

"Katherine" It was Mary Beth, "I know we spoke until late last night and I am sure you are already at work but I wanted to tell you that I can't wait to see you this weekend. I miss your smile and touch. Bye!" End of message I smiled and pressed the delete button. Next message "Sorry, yes I love you. Bye! End of new message. To delete...

Yep, that's Mary Beth still as silly and loving and maybe just as uncertain about things when I first met her in the 6th grade.

I slammed the door shut ensuring it was locked. I ran down the steps and jumped into my Jeep and headed to the headquarters building for training formation.

My primary job was a floor RN on the PCU at Winn Army Hospital. However, being in the Army, we also need to be prepared for combat training as clinicians. So we are attached as needed to the mechanized infantry division at Ft Stewart. We have a required week of training alongside our LPN, medics, and other clinical staff every two months. My nurse manager arranged my schedule for me this week to have me in the training week, so I could take a few days off for Rich's and Jilla's wedding.

As the last announcements were to be made about the training that needed to be completed this week, our commander, Captain Meyers, barked, "Lieutenant Dougherty, report to my office in ten minutes. Dismissed!"

The formation was dismissed and CPT Meyers went inside. I checked my watch to see what time it was and started the ten minute countdown. I asked my Sergeant if he had any thoughts or had heard any rumor mill bullshit. He denied any knowledge suggesting, end of month crap? Maybe, I thought, Saturday is the end of the month.

I walked into the Medical Company Headquarters building. Then directly to the administration office, which was outside of the Commander's office. I paused asking the Administrative Clerk if she knew why the "Old Man" wanted to see me. She just shrugged but pointed over her shoulder out the window.

I looked out her window and my eyes opened wide.

"Oh!" I gasped. The Hospital Chief Nurse' vehicle was out front. The driver stood at the back door meaning she wasn't in there. Whispered, "Is she in there?" She just nodded. I looked at my watch, panicked slightly, took a deep breath, exhaled and then knocked on the door precisely at the ten minutes mark.

"Enter!" He barked.

I opened the door, walked straight to the front of his desk, and reported in proper military manners. "Sir, Lieutenant Dougherty reports as directed."

I waited and when CPT Meyers returned my salute, then I dropped mine.

From behind me, I heard Col. Krajnek, "You are out of uniform Lieutenant. As of Sunday, the first of the month you are no longer 2nd Lieutenant Dougherty. You have been promoted above the zone, ahead of your peers, I might add, to 1st Lieutenant. Congratulations Katherine!"

This was high praise coming from a career Army Nurse and someone of Col. Krajnek's stature.

"Ma'am, Sir," referring to my leaders in proper manners and protocol, "I am honored and humbled to be recognized by the promotion review board. I am so proud to serve under your command."

Col Krajnek and Cpt Meyers asked me to sit and chat for a while. We spoke lightly for the next twenty minutes finishing the conversation. Col Krajnek made a statement that in a few months she and I along with my nurse manager should meet to discuss the next steps or long term phases of my nursing career.

I was dismissed back to work, not at the hospital, by CPT Meyers telling me in front of Col. Krajnek that I was to "knock off" before noon so I could get to the airport on time.

I was proud, giddy and smiling from ear to ear when I walked out of his office. The Administrative Clerk looked up at me and extended her Congratulations. I then looked at the clock, just a few more hours in the training cycle remaining with my Sergeant and the medics before I cut out heading home to enjoy my brother's wedding. I needed to focus on the Common Soldier Tasks our Sergeant and medics were teaching. Reading a topographical map with a protractor and a compass isn't my strong suit.

At noon, I knocked off. Used the ladies room in the back, throwing on a pair of jeans, a lighter three quarters sleeve top and my sandals. I tossed my uniform in the back and headed north to Savannah International Airport.

Savannah International Airport only had a few gates, six to be exact but there were flights that came in from Toronto so in essence it was an "international" airport.

Sitting with a coffee, I waited at the gate for my flight to BWI with my connection to Pittsburgh. It wasn't too far of a distance from the Airport to my parents' home. I would just take a Yellow Cab when I landed at 6:20. There were always plenty of them to go around.

I smiled thinking back to Mary Beth's message this morning and I really looked forward to seeing her again. We had been talking over the last few months of what we would want to do when we saw each other. It had been too long since her surprise visit.

As my coffee cooled and I sat at the gate, I thought back on if I packed the proper clothing for a Pittsburgh fall wedding. Just one small piece of luggage checked and a carry-on bag. I loved this backpack and had bought it in San Antonio as it proudly displayed the Army Nurse Corps logo on it.

I started daydreaming recalling the amazing times Mary Beth and I had together and the bond we formed all those years ago. I was very excited to be going home and getting a chance to see her, to hold her, to kiss her.

"Class," Sister Mary Anne bellowed, walking in the room, "We have a new student at our school and I am happy to introduce Mary Beth Kaufman. She and her family just moved here from California. Let's welcome Mary Beth."

In unison we. All said, "Welcome Mary Beth". I cringed in my seat, there is nothing worse to my ears than twenty 6th grade boys and girls all saying the same thing at once sounding like a sing-song bunch of little voices.

"You can take that seat next to Katherine Dougherty, Mary Beth." Our teacher told her. As she sat down I recall smiling at her and giving her a little wave.

I was shaken back to the present day as I heard, "US Airways flight 2219 direct non-stop service to Baltimore-Washington International airport with continued service to Pittsburgh will start boarding from gate three in ten minutes. Please have your boarding pass out and when we start boarding."

That was my warning to run to the ladies room and take care of things before boarding this flight. Once that was taken care of I waited my turn until my row was called and boarded the plane. Settling into my seat, closing my eyes reflecting back.

"Class, this year the Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science is allowing sixth graders to participate in teams of two as well as individuals. I have permission slips here for you to take to your parents if you are interested in participating but I need the slips back by the end of the week." Sister Anderson passed the slips out to each of us.

I nudged Mary Beth, "Do you want to team up?" She nodded her head smiling at me. We spent hours with twenty four lima bean plants monitoring the control plants versus the test plants trying to determine natural versus electrical light on the growth of lima bean plants. We did our presentation at the local high school and then at the university.

I must have been tired, or simply relaxed, I remember taking off but then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I opened my eyes to see the flight attendant. She smiled letting me know we would be landing in Baltimore shortly.

I graciously thanked her. She bent at the knees crouching down and said, "No ma'am. Thank you for what you do. I saw your backpack. My mother was an Army Nurse many years ago in Vietnam." She smiled and continued on with her duties.

As we landed in Pittsburgh and taxied up to the gate, I reached up, running my fingers through my hair. I suddenly got very nervous. Would Mary Beth be upset that I had cut a little more of my hair off? Would she forgive me? The winter and spring months weren't bad but the summer and fall temperatures and more so the humidity are just unforgiving even if I worked in an air conditioned hospital. I still needed a little relief.

I laughed to myself recalling how she was very stern in her warning last year that I wasn't to get my hair cut too short. "You might be in the Army but you are still a girl; my girl Katherine."

I was extremely nervous as I patiently waited for the passengers ahead of me to deplane. Finally it was my turn, I grabbed my backpack, slung it over my shoulder and walked up the aisle, then off the plane and up the jet way.

As the jet way became the terminal, I saw a plethora of red, white and blue balloons being held by a young man and a younger girl holding a sign almost as big as she was; it read "Welcome Home Katherine!"

I started tearing up as I saw my father, mother, Will and Erin standing there waiting for me. My emotions were at the brink as I walked over hugging them all at once.

"Father, Mother!" I sort of squealed. "I would have taken a cab home. But I am happy to see you all!"

"Nonsense" my father said with a smile on his face.

We hugged once more and then headed towards baggage claim. On the drive home, Erin was just a chatterbox telling me all of the goings on of the wedding preparation.

The parties she attended, her dress and how she needed to practice walking down the aisle and how Ms. Jilla, my brother's fiancée, instructed her on putting the flowers on the floor. Ah! The important job of the flower girl.

Then she told me about how she would go to a hair stylist for Saturday. She was so grown up for an eight year old.

She paused, taking a moment to catch her breath and then she said the cake tasting Ms. Jilla, took her to, was really good and she hoped that the cake tonight would taste just as good.

"Erin!" my mother shouted, "Hush now."

Will just started laughing. I looked at him and he was giggling like a young boy covering his face with both hands. "I knew it" he said, "Mom; I told you she couldn't keep a secret! We should have left her at home."

I immediately looked at Will then to my mother, "Mother, what are you doing?"

"Oh nothing of your business Katherine Dougherty" My mother continued, "You just mind your business young lady."

"You didn't need to plan anything. This weekend is about Rich and Jilla."

She looked over her shoulder and said, "Just a small gathering to welcome you home, so let your old mother have some fun."

She then said in a softer voice, "Let me be proud of you."

It wasn't but a few minutes later that we turned down the street of my childhood home, my parents' home. As we approached the house, I saw cars lining the road on either side, I exclaimed, "Mother!"

My father just laughed at my comment as he pulled his car into the driveway and honked the horn. Erin opened her door and ran down the front yard screaming that I was home.

Mother and I just smiled, laughing as I said. "I guess she is a little excited that I am home."

"You have no idea Katherine," my father replied. "She has been going on and on about her big sister, the Army Nurse.

I followed my mother and father into the house, dropping my backpack. I saw my father carrying my suitcase upstairs. I made my way from the front foyer into the living room seeing the crowd of people that flowed from there into the dining room.

There were friends from church, Patty and her parents, Jenna and her mother, Fr. Krys, and some neighbors from down the street. I took a few steps farther into the room greeting everyone. It was as if the crowd split in half as I walked two more steps into the center of the room. It was then I saw her.

My eyes lit up; there was a swell of emotions that overcame me. She was hanging in the background, standing with her mother. Out of my peripheral vision, I saw Jenna smile.

Mary Beth winked at me, smiling from ear to ear and mouthed to me "Hi"

It took another minute or two to greet the twenty, or so, people my mother had invited. All of the guests in the living room were treated with a hug, a handshake, or a kiss on the cheek. I was very purposeful in doing that so when I kissed Mary Beth's cheek, it wouldn't be out of character.

In what seemed like a long excruciating amount of time but was mere minutes, I finally made my way back to Mary Beth and her mother. I took my time in greeting her mother, giving her a longer hug and a warm thank you for coming. Just like other guests.

I hugged Mary Beth then leaned into her ear whispering "I love you so much!"

I heard my mother call from the kitchen that the food everyone had brought for the meal was ready for serving and asked if Fr. Krys to say the blessing.

I met and chatted with old friends from church, our neighbors, and my friends. We talked, laughed and smiled as many friends asked about my job, my travels and how I found the church community around all those southern Baptists. I just laughed and explained that folks from the Army weren't just from the south.

I ignored the question that arose several times about finding a good catholic man at the socials that I attended when not working.

As I finished my small plate of food, I went to stand trying to signal Jenna, Patty and of course, Mary Beth for us to chat and game plan tomorrow and Sunday but I failed. My mother was on top of every move I made wanting to take care of all my needs.

I had tried three times to get Mary Beth alone but had failed in all three attempts. I was getting frustrated. The food was amazing as was the cake and I finally found a moment to escape. I sought out Rich and Jilla begging them to step outside and chat with me for a brief moment.

We stepped outside and I apologized to them, "I am sorry for this 'event'. If I had any idea Mother was planning this I would have pushed back on her. This is your weekend; I do not want to take the spotlight away from you two."

They were both gracious in their responses, Jilla laughed and rolled her eyes, "Moms will be Moms."

"Guys, one more thing." Damn I was nervous. "Look I don't have a date or a plus-1 for the wedding and reception. Would you, umm, mind if Mary Beth came with me, you know, to, umm, keep me company?"

Rich smiled, leaned over and hugged me, "Absolutely, we know you two are damn near inseparable."

And with that they went inside. I turned away just looking off into the backyard, standing there enjoying the cool Pennsylvania fall air, just breathing. I heard a door open then quickly close behind me and as I went to turn around I heard a whisper, "No, don't turn around."

She started speaking, "You cut your hair a little more."

"Sorry the heat is ..."

"Shh no talking Lieutenant."

Then I felt her hand on my arm, I shivered, I moaned and exhaled. "Don't turn around, people are watching us. I was told to come find you; your mother was looking for you. You are the guest of honor and can't go missing."

After a few seconds, I broke the silence, "MB, I love you more than you know. I have missed you so much. March was such a sweet surprise but I have missed you so damn much."

She laughed, "You don't listen well Lieutenant. Let's just enjoy the moment Kath"

Mary Beth then leaned up against me, shoulder to shoulder, both staring out into my parent's backyard. I lowered my hand to her side just briefly touching her. There it was, that electric shock, my nipples hardened, I was quivering inside. I heard her exhale. She hummed and I could visualize a huge smile on her face.

"MB" I said in an excited voice, "I have an idea. Go get the girls, quick. Meet me out here in three minutes with them and your purses."

I turned and walked inside to find my father. Literally, three minutes later I gave my father a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you father. I will not be late."

I went and found my mother. She wasn't thrilled but understood I missed my friends. She told me she loved me and that we would spend time together this weekend.

I walked out the backdoor finding Patty, Jenna and Mary Beth saying, "Let's go girls, my father has everything taken care of. We are going to catch up over a glass of wine."

We walked down the back steps and to my father's car. I unlocked the passenger side door and then the backdoors for the girls to get in. Jenna quickly grabbed Patty's hand pulling her towards the backseat.

Patty had an inquisitive look on her face but climbed in the back seats without too much commotion. Mary Beth climbed in the front seat and I pulled out of the driveway Jenna inquired as to her mother getting home and where we were going.

"My father will take care of your mother; well Liz will get her home. The first stop is coming up. I just need to find something first."

I was purposefully cryptic. As we turned onto the main road I drove a few hundred feet then signaled turning into the now empty and dimly lit parking lot of the repair shop.

I pulled into a spot far in the back, away from the street, far away from any overhead lights, turned off the car, opened my door and jumped out. I thought I heard Patty's voice start asking a question but by the time I got around to the other side of the car, Jenna must have hushed her.

There she was, now outside of the car standing, in front of me. She was really here, in the flesh, we were together again. My heart was racing.

A sly smile on her face. I took two steps closer to her. I could barely see her eyes due to the darkness. We slowly wrapped our arms around each other.

"Hmmm yes Kath." I heard her whisper in my ear.

My hands moved from her waist, up her back, pulling her closer if it was possible. Simultaneously, she wrapped her arms around me pulling me into her as close as two people could be.

We just listened to each other breathe. Our lips met in a soft gentle and loving kiss. Then another, soft, gentle kisses, my lips welcoming hers, missing hers. I could feel my nipples tightening and hardening.