My Magazine Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That is not the language for a young, unmarried woman Gina. Do you have a suitor yet?"

But without waiting for the reply he said: "How is it that Jenni has more influence here that I do?"

Gina gave no reply.

Nico told Jenni again that he was very sad they were leaving. It had made him feel younger being surrounded to so many young people. Jenni and her people were becoming like family to him and Katarina.

"You are going because you have heard that I am having difficulty in raising the finance to go ahead with my redevelopment block? I am still trying but my friends and family say it is too much money with having to buy that extra land. But Jenni, you know me; I will get them behind me. You know that's true, don't you Jenni?

"Yes Nico, the family will eventually get in behind you I am sure. Then your friends will see that solidarity and want to be part of your grand project. But Nico, dear Nico, that's not why I am leaving. We are going because I am selling the magazine."

That stunned Nico for a long moment. He sat, mouth open, looking at Jenni horrified.

Almost choking, he said: "Jenni how could you? That magazine is like a baby to you and will grow into a wonderful publication. I cannot believe that you would do such a thing."

"Tut, tut Nico, we are all going back to Zephyr Media in South London and taking the magazine with us. That's why I want to talk to you about."

"Nico although I'm negotiating to sell the magazine to Zephyr Media, I will be in charge of all magazines, including my baby. It is my intention to bring all of the publishing and business activities of Zephyr Media - but not the printing and distribution activities - down to the area of your property, if we can get more land."

"I suggest you immediately buy the Shaw property - it will be a good investment for you, and perhaps pay a deposit on the purchase now and the rest payable in instalments over the next two years, with the agreement allowing you to pay off the purchase sooner if you desire.

"And?"

"There will be another purchase of the Rubens and Johnstone properties right alongside your holdings. This process is underway now with documents being drawn up."

"Well, I know Stjepan Kecic wants to sell the Shaw Building but I didn't know the other two properties were on the market as we were all waiting for an offer we couldn't refuse."

Jenni thanked Gina as she placed a bacon sandwich and a cup of black coffee in front of her.

Nico looked suspiciously at his sandwich.

"Does the bacon have plenty of fat on it," he demanded.

"Yes Nico - yours is fatty and Jenni's in lean as I suspect she prefers it."

Nico smiled at Jenni.

"My granddaughter - she has all the skills, with food, with people and is well trained, top of her class I believe. You should employ her. Don't wait Jenni."

"You are a non-stop rogue Nico," she sighed. "Now eat your sandwich like a good boy."

Gina clapped her hands gleefully.

"Good on you Jenni. You know the way he has to be treated; Katarina taught me."

"That's why he married her," Jenni giggled.

They all laughed causing Peter the chef standing outside the kitchen door to call out to kitchen staff.

"They are very happy. She likes her sandwich!"

Nico asked if Jenni had any other reason for inviting him to coffee other than to order him coffee and a sandwich.

"It concerns the Rubens and Johnstone properties. A conditional agreement to purchase exists between a nominee company and Rubens and Johnstone. The company has an option to purchase both properties at current valuations plus seventy-five percent."

Nico whistled.

"That would total around a mil."

"Actually $1.728 million."

"Christopher Columbus!"

"I want you to buy those two properties Nico and hold them for up to two years."

"Christopher Columbus! Jenni I'm sorry but I will be committed over the Shaw property - Katarina and I have decided to buy it along with Janus even if other family members don't come in with their money. We are not made of money you know."

"I don't want you to put up a cent for those other purchases Nico. I just want you to be chairman of the nominee company that's already in existence. The other directors will be Sue Boyd and Garth Oliver."

Nico's eyes bulged.

"You propose that I be chairman of a company and with that lovely lawyer lady of yours; I'm dreaming."

"Where the money will come from is secret Nico. Garth as a director and secretary of the company will hold just one hundred shares, and you and Sue are not asked to take up shares."

Nico looked puzzled.

"Why don't the people behind that company simply walk over and offer Mr and Mrs Rubens and Mrs Johnstone cash. It's so much easier and with cash you get a better deal."

"Because things are a little complicated Nico. The targeted tenant doesn't know it wants to relocate here yet but wouldn't look at any proposal unless the adjoining land to yours was secure and part of the deal. Formation of the nominee company will allow all of this to happen. If that deal goes ahead you and your family will be invited to take shares in a new company to jointly own all amalgamated parcels of land or alternatively they can walk away with pockets of cash."

Looking thoughtfully, Nico asked Jenni if the proposed tenant and a possible ultimate major shareholder in the final land owning company was Zephyr Media.

"You will find out in due course Nico. As chairman you will simply be a frontman, although you actually will be deeply involved in negotiations."

"Yes, yes I can see that Jenni. I am a business man. But Jenni, the money behind the nominee company is yours isn't it."

"Be a good boy and finish your coffee Nico I would like another one and that's quite enough business chat for today, don't you think Mr Chairman?"

She watched as Nico mouthed the words Mr Chairman.

"I've never been a director although I am sort of one as the head of our family trust. Never did I dream I would be chairman of a company."

"I know Nico and it's was time you were; you have all of the abilities."

Tears came to Nico's eyes, and he began patting his moustache furiously.

"Thank you Jenni. I am humbled."

"Oh don't thank me Nico," she said airily. "Thank the lovely Sue - it was she who wrote your name into the documentation."

"How is it that you know that Jenni?"

Jenni swung around in her chair to hide her grin and to wave to attract a waitress but just at that instance Gina came around from behind the work station carrying two cups of coffee and headed towards Jennie and Nico.

"When we finish here," Jenni said to Nico. "We'll have to walk over to my solicitor's office. Sue has papers for you to sign. Of course you may wish to take them to your own solicitor first?"

"No, the first priority of lawyers is fee extraction. I trust Sue, my fellow director."

Back at the office everything seemed to be in a jovial mood.

"What's happened?" asked Jenni.

"Rhonda just told us that Ron Wiggins phoned to say that the confirmed sales of the two print runs of our first issue amounted to all but 1004 of the total magazines sent out for sale," said Viv. "Rhonda quoted him exactly as he said it: 'Everyone here thinks that's fucking unbelievable'. I thought Ron had a clean mouth?"

"Yes, quite. I guess he was simply quoting David Brooks."

"Oh him did you know ..."

"Thanks Viv - if you have gossip tell Rhonda, it may be something for her column.

"By the way Viv - I have two things to discuss with you, both personal. Let's go for a walk as walls have ears around here."

Rhonda waved out as Jenni appeared. .

"I have some good news from Ron."

"I know - it's sweeping The City," Jenni laughed. "Give me ten minutes with Viv first."

Viv was not at all worried. She sensed that this was not something bad for which she was responsible as Jenni did not have that glint in her eyes.

"Two things Viv - my vibes tell me that you should think about insisting being called Vivian by everyone as you are about to become editor of a prestigious magazine. Viv seems um... um a..."

"A little common?"

"Well I wouldn't go that far but think about it. It's just a suggestion, definitely not a request. Do what you feel is best Viv."

"Jenni please call me Vivian."

"Wow that was quick. The other thing is equally as intrusive I guess. Just after 3:00 today a young woman will arrive to see you. She is interested in becoming your PA. She's Nico's granddaughter."

"Oh Jenni! I'm going to have to dig in over this I'm afraid. I decide to make my own decisions."

Jenni patted her on the shoulder.

"Good, good. I want you to exhibit that independent streak that I knew was there. You are my protégé but not my 'yes' woman. I would have been very unhappy if that not had been so."

"You mean I don't have to employ this young woman?"

"That's correct; it's entirely your decision; you are required to consult me only over employment difficulties."

"But you and Nico are ... are so close."

"So?

"Well, I sort of assumed ..."

"That you were required to press the rubber stamp?"

"Yes."

"Don't disappointment me Vivian."

"I won't now that I understand the position. I shall seek someone that she and I fit like a glove, just as you and Rhonda do. Poor Nico, he's going to be so disappointed."

Jenni smiled and said nothing. It was no longer up to her. She'd 'had a word' and that's all she'd told Nico that she could do."

Just after 3:30 Vivian appeared and Jenni, who was working on accounts with Rhonda ready to be sent off to Garth Oliver, looked up and invited Vivian to enter. Jenni pulled off her reading glasses and asked in a neutral voice, "How did it go?"

"She's a bit impetuous Jenni," Vivian confided. "And has rather a bossy streak I suspect. But I guess as you assumed she'd a brilliant counter-point to me, she has the administrative skills and an eye to detail."

"And so?"

"She's mine Jenni. I want her. What do I do now? She'd waiting in the office."

"Send her into Rhonda who will get the relevant employment details and get them off to Garth Oliver's office to process. I think Linda is doing all the work of his smaller clients like us now."

"By the way, you have scarcely related to Nico and I think you should do so. Here's his office and home phone numbers - he doesn't trust cell phones. Phone him and if he answers just introduce yourself and say that you have some great news for him and then put Gina on the phone. Thereafter he'll think of you as someone really special."

"Gosh Jenni how do you know all this? I only landed my boyfriend Samuel because we got the last two seats in the bus on a camping trip. I never quite know how to relate to men. They seem so complicated?"

"Ah Vivian, if only you knew. Almost all men fall into the five-button category. Phone him now and you'll be pushing Nico's button that is programmed to make him react first and foremost to wife and family. Don't for goodness sake accidentally hit button five for any man unless you're ready."

"Why what does that mean?"

"It sends him the silent signal that to his ears sounds like a purr, with a sweet little voice telling him, 'Take me!'

"God and how can I guarantee that I'm pushing the right button?"

"Fortunately the buttons are interactive with your mood - be business-like and you push the business button."

Savvy?"

"I think so but I'm a little nervous. Until now I hadn't realised that pushing buttons could be so complicated."

"Oh sweetie. I am going to have such a lovely time watching you grow into this position as editor."

An hour later Jenni went out for a walk and to make some confidential phone calls.

Nico and Gina were sitting on a seat, chatting. They jumped up when they saw her approaching.

"We were waiting for you to thank you," Nico said gravely.

"But I did nothing, beyond arranging the interview. Anyway, how long have you been sitting here waiting for me?"

"Almost an hour, but we would have waited for as long as it takes," Nico said.

Jenni sighed.

"I thank you with all my heart Jenni. When I first met you I sensed you were wondering about me. Thank you, thank you."

"That is true Gina. But all that I was wondering was thinking what a bright, personably young woman was doing waiting on tables. You looked to have so much more potential."

"That's right," Nico said. "Gina has so much potential."

"Gina it's over to you how you will progress. I wish you well. I guess Vivian has asked you to start on the last week we are in this location - which begins in only a fortnight's time?

"No she said after you have moved."

"I'll talk to Vivian about that. I think you ought to spend a week working alongside my Rhonda to learn about some of the things she does. It's Rhonda's job that you will be stepping into.

"That's good, Vivian will get back to me?"

"Yes."

"This Rhonda, I have not seen here. Is she good at her job?"

"You'll like here Gina. She is an incredible woman and is extremely good at everything she does. It is because of Rhonda that sometimes I appear to be doing the work of three people."

"Does she know that, Jennie?"

"Yes although perhaps it can never be acknowledged enough. I think by that question Gina you are going to fit into our organisation very well indeed."

"Gina is my granddaughter," Nico said.

"Bye and keep busy Nico," Jenni smiled..

Walking towards one of the vacant buildings awaiting demolition, Jenni's first call was to Sue.

"Is everything in order?"

"Yes," Sue said.

"My word, I've met that Nico friend of yours twice now and isn't he something? He gives me the impression that he is mentally seducing me, but in a rather gallant old-fashion way, if you know what I mean."

"Indeed I do. I think he is harmless because he's under the thumb of a very tough wife."

"Well, back to business. My partners along with me wonder if you should have made a greater in-depth study of this whole project before committing such a sizeable amount of money. What gave you the confidence?"

Jenni replied that she'd phoned a real estate commercial property specialist Peter Upton. She outlined the deal to him and asked to if he would drop everything and check out the soundness of the proposal for her, She would pay him £200 for the half an hour's work.

"Peter said he was rather busy but I said I wouldn't have contacted him if I was sitting on my arse in the sun. He laughed and that appeared to turn his motor on. All we needed to do was to fax him the details of the property titles in question and he'd complete his appraisal. I said all I really wanted was confirmation of the value of the properties now and a considered opinion of what they would be valued at covered by a three level building in two years' time. If that only took him ten minutes to produce that, then so be it."

"He phoned back thirty-one minutes later, asking if he could call and get the payment in cash. Peter confirmed the current valuations of the property and told me once developed as I had outlined, in two years' time the land value could easily be 110% to0 120% greater than now. I indicated I was considering immediate purchase and he suggested I offer 75% under current registered valuation and the owners might jump at that because they know no developer was in sight yet."

After listening to that, Sue asked: "What if he's wrong, too optimistic?"

"Then my attitude would be "Too bad, at least you took a calculated risk my girl."

Sue had another reservation.

"When the time comes to negotiate with Zephyr Media or anyone else who comes along, you will be prepared to let the old flirt Nico to go in to bat on your behalf? He will be out of his depth, scared shitless if you will pardon my French."

"Sue don't under-estimate Nico. To him a deal is a deal, and how one gets the result is the same whether it's one dollar or one hundred dollars. It is quite likely he'll pull in three mil for me."

"You're unbelievable Jenni. How can you trust a man like that?"

"It's because I'm almost family. Ask Nico and he'll tell you that he'll be doing it for my Jenni. There are some people you really can take a face value with confidence."

"But he's all puff and wind, Jenni - can't you see it?"

"That's exactly it, Sue - with Nico what you see is what you get, not like the fat cats stuffed into tight suits and you and your colleagues act for, and often they get burnt. Nico is a self-made property investor and he didn't get there by accident."

"I know what you mean Jenni and good luck to you. I'm glad it's all your money at stake. I tell you what, you appear to like a gamble. You get more than £3 million and I will personally pay your legal fees - no freebies as we're a partnership here. Then Nigel and I will take you and the partner of your choice out to a five-star dinner."

"Who's Nigel?"

"My husband, silly."

"And if I lose?"

"You pay double frees and you and the partner of your choice take Nigel and me out to a swanky place for dinner."

"Yes agreed with one minor amendment which is, either way, Nico and his wife come with me and whoever loses also pays for them."

"That's fine with me Jenni."

Jenni, preparing to end the call, said, "Oh, my party prefers northern European food. Goodbye, Sue."

Jenni's next call was to Garth Oliver.

"Is she sitting in your lap?"

Garth seemed not to hear.

"I'm terribly worried about this project of yours Jenni. It's got risk and disaster written all over it. I feel it in my bones."

"That's why you are an accountant, Garth - seated in your comfort zone and preparing to wind up the financial affairs of people who fail or get ripped off. Don't you have any clients who rise and shine?"

"I thought so Jenni. But since you've tumbled back through the jaws of Zephyr Media you have plummeted down in my estimation. You take too many uncalculated risks."

"Name one uncalculated risk that you know I have taken."

"Well, um ... well, you know what I mean."

"Are you two screwing yet?"

"Jenni!"

The shout was so loud that Jenni pulled the phone away from her ear.

She replaced it and said, "Take a risk, Garth. You really need someone underneath you to wind you up to reality. If you don't make a pass she will assume that you're queer."

"Jenni," whispered Garth sounding mortified. "She's here in the same room with me."

"Draw the curtains and tell your receptionist to take a very long lunch Garth. Bye."

Jenni walked passed Leo's and noticed a woman who looked slightly familiar.

"Maria?"

Maria Hopper turned around and smiled.

"Hullo Miss Giles. Fancy seeing you here? You've been on TV, you know."

"Yes I know, Maria. Please call me Jenni. My what a lovely dress."

"It belongs to old Mr Brooks' girlfriend, but they are overseas. But her underwear doesn't fit me."

"Nor your mother, from what she said to me."

"No that's true. Both of them like their women - lots of them Jenni."

"So I gather. Where do you fit in?"

"I only service young Mr Brooks when he comes across without company, but never his father - he's too wrinkly for my liking."

"Really?"

"Yes Jenni. You should know money can't buy everything."

"What a refreshing attitude - extra-marital sex but I still remain choosy. What a story. Look, could I send someone over to interview you sometime - your identity would be kept secret."

"Please yourself Jenni, only there's not much of a story in it. Several of my friends over on the island and over here do it. It's no big deal."

"Perhaps it's not Maria but I believe what you women say about your approach to such extramarital relationships will interest many women rather intensely."

"This extra-whatever you said - does that imply we have more sex than women not like us?"

"Who knows Maria? Who knows?