My Name is Dave, Not David

Story Info
Dave tells life story to reporter, tries to figure out AFD.
5.2k words
4.37
8.4k
10
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

APRIL FOOLS 2022

Humor and Satire

The main character, Dave, has Asperger's, which is a previously used diagnosis on the autism spectrum if you've never heard of it. Dave is a higher functioning adult, but he is still socially awkward.

*****

"Hello, my name is Dave, and I'm speaking into this microphone so I can tell this friendly reporter, Ida, everything that's happened in my life. She wants to write a story about me for the newspaper, but the first thing she wanted to talk about was April Fool's Day pranks because today is April 1st. I explained that I can't jump around; I have to start at the beginning, from growing up to being married ten happy years with five children.

My name is Dave, not David, and my last name is Weber. My first memories were from before I started school. I remember seeing doctors and visiting hospitals. I remember being angry a lot until my sixth birthday when my dad took me to a movie, which changed my life.

The film was 2001 Space Odyssey, made by Stanley Kubrick. Even though the main character was named Dave, like me, I liked HAL 9000, and I wanted to think like him and sound just like him.

I saw the movie dozens of times in the theater, but sometimes I got mad because people talked during the movie, and I finally blew up and had a meltdown. Dad said I couldn't go to the movies anymore, so he bought me a 2001 Space Odyssey VHS tape and let me use a spare VHS player he had at work. After I started watching the movie at home, I really began calming down and not throwing fits; instead, I acted and spoke like HAL 9000, calm, quiet, and emotionless.

I memorized all the lines in the movie, and I began reciting them to all of my family and acquaintances. The word friend is missing because I have no friends, only acquaintances, which means teachers, classmates, and people I say hi to in our neighborhood. Family consisted of Mom and Dad, my older sister, and my two younger brothers.

I began communicating with my Mom using modified quotes from the movie; for instance, if Mom asked me to do something, I would reply, "Affirmative, Mother. I read you." Sometimes I couldn't help it and had to say something clever, like the time I found my Mom cleaning my room and asked, "Just what do you think you're doing, Mother? Mom, I really think I'm entitled to an answer to that question." Dad had to explain that one to Mom so she wouldn't lock me in my room.

My mom eventually learned how to deal with me when I was ten. I followed her into the kitchen and talked nonstop about computer games on the Internet, and she replied that I wasn't making any sense because she didn't like Internet games. They made sense to me, so I continued talking. When she got tired of my voice, she surprised me by saying, "Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye," a line from the movie by HAL9000. I stared at Mom before leaving the kitchen, and she had a big smile on her face. After that, we communicated as equals, and Mom's HAL 9000 voice was better than mine.

My older sister, Violet, never talked to me unless she was angry about something she thought I'd done, and then she screamed at me. My typical response, which made her even more enraged, was, "Look, Violet, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you should sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over." She usually screamed even louder, then went to her room and slammed her door.

In 12th grade, I went on five dates set up by two football players, Rick and Bob, who I helped pass geometry. Rick explained how I should act with the girls, and Bob told me what I should ask my date to do for me on 'Paradise Hill.'

After the movie let out, I parked on the hill overlooking the town, and I asked the question. The first three girls said 'NO' and made me take them home. The fourth girl made me laugh when she said, "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that." I thought that was funny because that was a HAL 9000 line from the movie. She still made me take her home.

The last girl I dated in high school scared me. Her name was Mona, and when I asked her the question, she said, 'Okay,' scooted next to me and unzipped my pants. I freaked out, jumped out of my dad's car, and told her to drive herself home. I took off running and ran home, over five miles away.

My dad's car was in the driveway when I got home, and when I saw Mona sitting on our couch, I got scared and tried to leave, but my mom grabbed my arm and used her best HAL 9000 voice ever, saying, "Dave, Mona needs to communicate with you."

I stopped struggling, and Mona began talking, and she told me how the football players weren't my friends, and she answered yes to my question because she was easy and wasn't ashamed to admit it, then she thanked me for the date, and dad drove her home.

I didn't date anymore, and I still don't understand why Bob said to ask my dates to 'choke my chicken?' What does that have to do with dating?

After I graduated high school and went to college, I discovered personal computers and decided that the movie 2001 was kid stuff, and I mostly stopped quoting lines from the movie. Now everything was about computers for me and writing programs.

Ida interrupted me, "What do you do at work?"

"I write code for computers."

"Dave, what do you like about computers?"

"They don't ask questions, haha." She looked like she was going to scream, so I guess she didn't like my joke.

"I'm sorry, I like writing programs and watching a line of code floating around in the air in front of me while I type on my keyboard. I like to play games, RPGs like Warcraft and Minecraft. My job is to write programs for the doctor so that I can have a big family, a big house, and a dog."

"Who's the doctor."

"I can't talk about him; it's a secret."

"Can you explain what these programs you write do?"

"Oh, things like making a rocket at point A take-off and land at point B 7000 miles away. But I can't talk about them."

"What was college like for you?"

"I liked college, and I made a lot of friends."

"How did you know they were your friends?"

"They all wanted to sit next to me when we had tests, and some of the girls that liked me thanked me for helping them pass and kissed me on the cheek. I don't remember helping anyone, so I think they confused me with someone else."

"Did you have a roommate?"

"My college roommate, Rich, locked me out of our dorm room once a week, usually on Friday or Saturday. I guess he did this because he was taste testing something, called the flavor of the week, whatever that means.

I asked him once if I could taste the flavor of the week, and I thought he was going into shock, he was wheezing so hard. When he could breathe again, he held the door open, so I could see a girl sitting on his bed wearing only panties, and Rich said, "Dave, meet the flavor of the week." I could see her nipples, and I remembered my sister screaming at me when I saw hers, so I left the dorm quickly.

Whenever the door was locked, I snuck into the library before it closed and hid in the back until the lights went out, then wandered around reading books before sleeping on the couch in the head librarians' office. She was pretty cool once she understood my dilemma."

"How did you meet your wife?"

"I was out for a walk, and my normal journey went past a fraternity house, and they were having a party, and they must've been drinking because people were staggering in and out the front door and falling down. I continued walking down the sidewalk, and someone grabbed my leg. I stopped to look, and this girl was on her side, grabbing my pants leg with two hands and saying, "Help. Help," over and over. I asked her if she needed help standing, and I helped her up, but she fell again and threw up on my shoes. She started choking, and I remember the nurse at my first aid class telling me, "When people drink too much, they throw up and choke, so you have to help them." So I picked her up and carried her back to my house and was going to put her in my bed when she started gagging again, so I carried her into my bathroom and held her head over my tub, and she threw up some more on our clothes."

"Dave, why didn't you let her throw up in the toilet?"

"That's for going number one and number two, and the tub is a much bigger target."

"Okay, I see a little logic there, so what happened next?"

"She had puked all over her clothes and mine, so I couldn't put her in my bed smelling like that, but I was nervous because my mom always told me, "never undress a girl unless she asks you to do it," and I didn't know what to do."

"What did you do?"

"I called Mom, explained what happened, and asked her, "What should I do?" She told me, "As long as you didn't play with her, it's okay to undress her, wash her and dry her and put a T-shirt on her while you washed her clothes." I didn't know what she meant about playing with her, but Mom said I could undress her, so I did. After rinsing the tub out, I got her clothes off, but I couldn't hold her up to clean her under the shower. So I gave her a hot bath with bubbles and strawberry shampoo. She has pretty hair, and I dried it carefully with a towel. After I dried her off and put one of my T-shirts on her, I tucked her into my bed and put her clothes in the washing machine. She was breathing okay, but I was afraid she might throw up again, so after I cleaned up, I grabbed a pillow and lay down on the floor to watch her if she got sick again."

"Why didn't you lie on the bed's other side?"

"I couldn't do that, because we weren't married."

"Of course, only you, Dave. So what happened next?"

"I got up and dressed for work...."

"I meant with the girl."

"I got up and dressed for work, and she woke up, holding her head and making awful sounds. I asked her if she was okay, and she groaned. I explained that her clothes were in my dryer, and then I said I have to go to work and asked her to close my front door when she left."

"So you were going to leave her in your house and go to work."

"I have to go to work because the doctor is expecting me. But she wasn't gonna let me go to work because she wrapped herself around me and started crying and begging me not to leave. She didn't scare me like Mona did, but she wouldn't let me explain that I had to go to work, so for the very first time, I called the doctor.

I asked him if I could take off today. He was very upset and made me tell him everything, starting when she grabbed my leg. When I told him the part about calling Mom, he started coughing, said he was choking on something, and told me to take the day off."

"All right, so now you're off the whole day; what happened next?"

"I got her clothes out of the dryer, and she dressed, and I made her breakfast, just toast because her stomach was still upset. She finally told me her name was Susan, and I told her my name was Dave. She asked if we did anything together, and I told her of course and explained that I carried her to my house and she threw up on me, so I bathed her and put her in my bed, watched her all night. Then she started crying and saying I was the only man who treated her like a person instead of a piece of meat.

I got nervous when Susan jumped in my lap and kissed me, right on the lips. She kept kissing me and then told me, "Kiss me like I'm kissing you," so I did what I was told and stuck my tongue in her mouth, and that felt strange, and I felt tingling down below and then she took my hands and placed them on her breasts, telling me it was okay to touch them. Momma always said if the girl told me I could touch her breasts, then it was okay."

"Have you ever touched a girl's breasts before?"

"Never, and they felt soft, and she let me unbutton her blouse so I could feel her skin with my hands. Her breasts were nice and warm, and her nipples were big and stuck out. Susan stood up, took off the rest of her clothes, and then asked if she could undress me. She was naked, so I guess it was okay if I was naked. When she pulled my pants down, she whispered, "Oh my, you're hung," but I thought I was standing. She pulled me down on my bed, and we stayed there until I heard the afternoon school bus dropping kids off on the corner."

"What did the two of you do in bed?"

"I don't think I should talk about that, but Susan kept praising me for having staying power which didn't make sense since she was on top, and I couldn't get up anyway. We did a lot of things that I liked a lot, and when it got dark outside, I asked her if she had classes the next day? She told me she had a job and only went to the fraternity because she thought she was too ugly to get a real date. Look, here's her picture. Do you think she's ugly?"

"Not at all; she's very, um, nice."

"So I told her that anyone who said she was ugly was not her friend and if she wanted someone to kiss her and tell her she's pretty, then she should live with me, and I would be her boyfriend until we got married so we could sleep in the same bed."

"Wow, I'll bet that got her attention. What did she do?"

"She started shaking and crying before saying, "But you don't know all the ugly things I've done, and all the guy's I've had sex with. I'm nothing but a whore." Her saying that made me mad, but I didn't know what to do.

"I guessed that what we did all afternoon was sex, so I asked her, "If we get married would you do any

of those ugly things again?" Before she answered, I asked a second question."

"Which was?"

"I asked her, "If you were my wife would you promise to do the things we did today only with me, but we could do them any time we wanted to?"

"She hugged me tight and whispered that she promised not to do any of those ugly things again unless they were with me, and she was sure the only man she'd want to have sex with was me.

So, now that we settled that, I called the doctor and asked for the rest of the week off, and after explaining what happened after the first time I called him, he had another coughing attack and hung up. I think he needs to see a specialist for that cough. I asked Susan if she liked her job, she said no, she hated it. So I told her to quit, and we could start having babies. The next day she quit her job, and I bought her a big ring and then took her to meet my Mom and dad. Mom and Susan disappeared downstairs, so dad and I went down to the barn to see the horses.

Later on, Mom hollered for dad and me, and she took dad downstairs."

Susan asked me, "Will your mom take you down to the basement too?"

"Probably, she likes having all the facts before deciding."

My dad came up the steps as mom called out, "Dave, come here, son." She met me at the bottom of the stairs, with her arms crossed, and asked, "'Dave, did you do it with her?" She was using the voice, so I answered my Mom and told the truth, "Yes, Momma, but Susan told me it was okay, and I wouldn't get in trouble because I had permission, and she showed me lots of things that made her happy."

"Son, when you look at her, what happens inside?"

"My heart speeds up, and I feel all tingly down there. When she smiles at me, I try and smile back."

"You gave her a ring, Dave. Do you really want to marry her?"

"Yes, mam."

"Let's go see her, son."

Momma asked Susan, "Do you have any family nearby or even across the country?"

"No, ma'am, my parents died when I was young, and my only aunt raised me, but she passed two years ago. There is no one else that I'm aware of."

"Well then, welcome to the family. We don't have much use for a fancy church wedding, so tomorrow we'll all go to the courthouse and get you wed so Dave can sleep in his bed."

"And that's what we did, and after ten years being happily married and five kids, here I am."

The lady pulled the microphone away from me and asked, "Now can we talk about April Fool's day pranks?"

"You're editor said you wanted me to tell you how I captured a dangerous killer who was holding a hostage for the police?"

"Later."

"All right, but I never did any pranks, so why are you asking me? You should talk to Charlie, my neighbor. He does jokes on everyone in the neighborhood."

"I've heard about Charlie from other neighbors. Does Charlie ever pull pranks on you?"

"I don't think so; what would a prank look like?"

"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! Let's go for a walk, Dave."

We walked outside onto my front yard, and she asked more questions, "Dave, since Charlie moved here, has he ever dumped water on you? Have your pants ever split wide open? Have you ever drank anything on April 1st that tasted strange or bad?"

"No, no, but right after Charlie moved here, he handed me a beer glass and asked me to take a drink and describe the taste. The beer was hot and smelled funny, so I dumped it out and gave Charlie his glass back.

"What other things has Charlie done on April 1st?"

"Three years ago, he put a box in my front yard, but I didn't touch it since it wasn't my box. When it looked like he wasn't going to take it back, I knocked on his door while he was eating dinner and asked him if I should call the police to remove that strange package from my front yard? His eyes got big, and he ran over to my front yard and knelt next to the package. I followed him and watched him slide his left hand under the box before picking it up and standing."

"Did you ask him what was under the box?"

"No, it wasn't my box."

An uneasy silence broke out because the lady wasn't talking, and I didn't know what to say.

"Are you the only one in the neighborhood he pranks?"

"You mean like the tube on his finger, and you put your finger in the other end or shaking hands and shocking someone, that kind of jokes, or a cushion that makes farting sounds?"

"No, I mean big pranks, where afterward someone wants to fight with Charlie."

"Hmm, let me think." I walked back and forth in my living room at a steady pace calming my mind and trying to remember.

"Yes, two years ago, Arnold Johnson and his family lived across the street, and he had a big fountain in his front yard, and on April's day that year, the water in the fountain turned red, but Charlie didn't turn the water red; it was Pam."

"Who's Pam?"

"She's Charlies' wife, and I guess she was helping Charlie do his big prank because he was busy. After she dumped in the color, she rang Arnold's doorbell and hid behind his car. Arnold charged over to Charlie's front door and banged on it with his fist. Pam followed him and looked like she was crying.

When Charlie opened the door, there was a lot of pushing and yelling, and the police came, and Arnold's wife came out wearing a bathrobe, so I put my headphones on and watched a movie. The Johnson's moved a month later."

"Dave, honey, Charlie's driving the bowling team down to the bowling alley for our weekly match with Jefferson Street. Oops, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt."

"Not at all, Susan. Dave is having a really good day working on the story."

I asked, "Is Pam bowling today?"

"She sure is; we're going to clobber them today. Bye Dave, love you," and she blew me some kisses.

"Dave, is this the Pam who's...."

"...Charlie's wife. Yep. She's a good bowler. I guess Charlie's going to bring Sue home while Pam bowls."

"Why is Charlie bringing your wife to his house? I thought she was bowling."

"My wife Susan is bowling today. Sue just looks like my wife. She's married to David Helms, who owns the gym in town. We'll have to go over to Charlie's in a few minutes so that I can make a video for Arnold."

"Dave, you have totally confused me."

"I can talk slower if you want, but all I can tell you is what I know. When Pam bowls, Charlie brings Sue home and pretends she's Susan, my wife."

12