My Sister's Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"'More than anything in the world,' he whispered to me in reply."

I could tell she was about to cry again, so I held her hand, giving it a squeeze, desperate for her to go on with it and not start sobbing and leave me hanging.

"'My name is Mary Flynn O'Grady, and I'm the granddaughter of Irish immigrants and the older daughter of a hatmaker and a seamstress. I'm from Philadelphia, I don't come from money, and have nothing but myself to offer to anyone who might be interested in me.' I was on the verge of tears as I rose to go, but he snared my hand, holding it with great tenderness. My heart was racing as I turned back to see his face, his steel blue eyes looking at me with such love and warmth.

"'Why are you going, Mary Flynn O'Grady?' he asked me. "For I want nothing more from you than you yourself. We could be together in an unheated hovel, but if I had you, my heart would be happy as I worked to improve our lot and better our station to give you the life you deserve.'"

I wasn't usually the romantic type but that still caused my eyes to cloud at how sweet it sounded. Perhaps even too sweet, as if he'd practiced the words, trying to trick or take advantage of her. Mary obviously didn't see it that way, though, as she continued.

"Clara, my tears flowed, uncontrollably, as I nodded, unable to say a word. He gently pulled me toward him before reaching up and wiping my cheeks with his finger. I took it in my hand and held it there, feeling the burn scars from his crash."

"He was burned?" I asked, giving an involuntary shiver that I hoped she didn't feel. I'd seen some of the men who'd returned from the war with such hideous scars and I couldn't imagine looking at them, much less actually touching them. I was liking this man less by the second.

Fortunately, Mary didn't notice and she nodded in reply. "Captain Walsh was a flier on a reconnaissance mission whose plane was aflame as he tried to land it behind our lines. The ground was too rough and muddy but soldiers nearby pulled him out with his legs burning and his hands and arms burned where he tried to snuff the flames. He lost his right foot and part of his lower leg, but the doctors were able to save the rest and most of his fingers. He received a medal for bravery and a commendation and promotion for his actions. I later found out that they wouldn't have let him fly again as a result of his wounds, but I didn't know that at the time."

"Mary! What did he say?" I demanded.

"'Mary Flynn O'Grady,' he said to me, 'you would live in that hovel with me?'

"I nodded and he smiled, showing he'd been teasing me. 'Mary? May I call you Mary? Our home will be warm and beautiful, a happy place for our children, for I'll be joining a law firm as soon as I pass the bar exam and we'll never be cold or hungry and you'll never want.'"

"He's a lawyer?" I exclaimed, suddenly excited for her, with all my past doubts snuffed like a candle. Lawyers in Philadelphia lived in the largest, finest homes, and often had maids and servants. Some even had chauffeurs for their automobiles and gardeners for their grounds. "Mary, you're going to be rich!"

Mary jerked away from me and, for just a moment, I thought she was going to slap me. "Clara Rianne O'Grady! Shame on you for even suggesting such a horrid thing!"

She stomped off toward the post office, and I had to hike up my skirt a bit and run to catch up.

"Mary, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to suggest anything bad."

She looked at me under her brow, obviously still angry at me, but a crinkle formed at the sides of her mouth, then dimples, before she finally started grinning and gave me a hug. "Be careful, Clara, and never cast aspersions on people. If I end up with Captain Walsh, as I hope and pray, it'll be because, and only because, we love each other as much as I already love him."

She paused as a strolling couple passed by us. When they were out of earshot, she continued, "I would care for Captain Walsh just as much if he hadn't a penny to his name, but that he will be engaged in a moneyed profession is a fortunate side benefit about which I definitely won't complain."

We hugged and made up before mailing her letter and heading home.

***

Chapter 2

It was 10 AM sharp when we received a knock on our front door about a week later. The hall clock was tolling the hour as I opened the door to see the most gorgeous man that I, at age 16, had ever seen. He was tall with a trim, athletic build, and curly dark hair that matched his swarthy complexion. He was clean-shaven except for a moustache. His dark eyes settled on my own, which were opened wide, and the corners of his mouth turned up to highlight the hint of dimples on his cheeks.

My tongue was tied like the Gordian Knot and a muted "Hi?" was all I could force out, leading his smile to go full bore on me, showing me a set of perfect white teeth that shined and confirming his dimples with a vengeance.

"You must be Mary's little sister, though I must admit to having expected someone considerably smaller based on the description I'd been given. I'm—"

I noticed that he was holding a bouquet of flowers in his hand as he spoke. In shock, I was about to reach out and take them when Mary rushed past me and embraced him before he could say more. She turned her head up and his lips tipped down to meet hers there on the front porch, in full view of me and anyone else in the world who happened to be passing by. Shocked by their brazenness, I quickly grew uncomfortable as I watched them kiss, long and hard like I'd seen in a moving picture, and, feeling strange, I had to turn away before I peed my knickers.

Hearing Ma's call, Mary quickly disengaged from her Adonis and invited him inside. He walked with a slightly strange gait that Mary later explained was due to his artificial limb strapped on what remained of his real leg. His brass-handled wood cane went with him when he walked outside, but when in the house, I noticed that he rarely used it. He did, however, continue to hold Mary's hand as they headed to the living room, with me trailing along behind like a little puppy.

Mary and Captain Walsh sat side-by-side on the settee in the living room, but angled toward each other a bit with what looked to me to be precisely the prescribed 4-inches of clear space between their knees. After introductions were complete and a bit of small talk out of the way, Ma took her usual knitting seat where she could observe the young lovers while I slumped down on the couch, tucking the bottom hem of my dress so the Captain couldn't see more than my ankles. I watched as they smiled and whispered, and I listened as hard as I could, trying to hear what they said without them noticing, all the while wondering how, even as pretty as she was, Mary could be so lucky to win the heart of such a man—

It was then that I saw them, the scars on his hand, and then those on the other. There was no hair on the back of either, and the last two segments of his little finger were missing on his right hand, along with the last phalange on his right ring finger. My eyes widened in horror and my breath caught—

"Clara! I just remembered!" said Ma, rather more excitedly than seemed appropriate. "I need you to go to the fabric shop and pick up some things for me right away. The list is in my sewing room; just ask Mrs. Jadowski to put it on my tab. Run along now, dear, hurry!"

I couldn't believe my mother was sending me away and I started to let her know my displeasure, but she gave me her "Don't argue with me" look that might be deserving of its own patent in that federal office in Washington. Running upstairs, I grabbed her list and almost flew the several blocks to the brick building where Mrs. Jadowski ran her supply. Still, by the time I got home with Ma's purchases and an itemized receipt for the bill, Captain Walsh was gone and Mary was locked in her bedroom.

***

The next morning, I learned that Captain Walsh was coming to dinner that evening. My mother had a long list of chores for me that day while she and Mary spent most of the afternoon in the kitchen.

Ma pulled me aside following a late afternoon delivery. "Captain Walsh will be here at 6 PM. Dress for dinner—there's a new green dress in your closet that will be lovely on you; it matches your eyes. And do your hair, dear. Be on your best behavior this evening, for your sister and for Captain Walsh, and Clara," she added, looking serious and lowering her voice to a whisper, "if his scars bother you, bite your tongue, smile, and look at something else. I won't have another incident like yesterday."

"But Ma—"

"No, buts, Clara. He almost gave his life for our country, but was fortunate that it didn't quite come to that. We should give him our respect and appreciation for what he did lose and for the pain and suffering he went through as a result. He was fortunate that your sister was there for him to help him get through it, so now we best be there for him and for her to get wherever they're going with their relationship. Understand?"

"Yes, Ma," I droned.

Ma had outdone herself with the new dress, which was shorter according to the new style, and, when I was dressed, I was convinced that I'd never been prettier. If I could avoid looking at his horrible hands and keep my smile, Captain Walsh couldn't help but notice me.

Except whereas, with my blonde hair in that green dress, I was like a daisy in a green, grassy meadow, Mary came down the steps like a rose unto herself. His attention was drawn so completely to her that he likely wouldn't have been able to state my dress color with any degree of certainty, much less that of my eyes. Pa herded them toward the dining room before jerking a hand at me, telling me to get in there, too.

Captain Walsh and Mary sat next to each other at the dining room table with Pa at one end, Ma at the other, and me seated directly across from him trying to avoid looking into his beautiful eyes. I made a mental note to sit across from Mary in the future so I could glare at her for her good fortune instead of trying to keep myself from staring directly at it. It would also give me a better chance of kicking her shin if the need arose.

"Such a lovely, delicious meal, Mrs. O'Grady, Mary," he said, turning to each in turn, after dinner that evening. "Thank you for inviting me and making me feel so welcomed in your home."

Ma smiled and nodded to Mary before responding. "Mary, here, did almost all of the work. I just threw in a bit to help where she needed it. She deserves the credit."

"Then, Mary, I thank you," he said with a smile, giving her hand a squeeze when they touched.

I couldn't help looking at his fingers, seeing the missing segments and the scars on his fingers and hands. I watched then as Mary's thumb played over the patterned parchment that was the skin on back of his hand and I realized that, unlike me, she saw the man she loved rather than his imperfections, a man so brave that he fought through the pain to survive and, ultimately, to be with her.

Captain Walsh's voice brought me out of my thoughts when he asked, "Mr. O'Grady, may I speak with you privately?"

Mary looked nervous as Pa looked at her and then turned to Captain Walsh with a hint of a smile. "Certainly, Captain. Kayleigh, dear, can you bring us some coffee out on the front porch?"

"Most certainly," said Ma, making fun of Pa's unusual formalness as she suppressed a grin. "Girls, help clear the table while your father and the captain speak."

Our mom had finally been able to purchase nice china in recent years, so I was glad to see when she kept Mary's hands off of it as we transported it to the kitchen for cleaning. "Mary, calm down!" whispered Ma, but seeing no improvement, she finally made her sit down.

"Ma, what if Pa says no?" Mary, usually so calm and collected in her demeanor, was clutching her hands together and rocking around in a circle as if trying to decide which way to tip over. She'd always been such a rock in my life, so I almost felt sorry to see her reduced to this bundle of nerves as she awaited the outcome of Captain Walsh's discussion with our father. Worried that she might fall toward the countertop and hit her head, or worse, connect and break some of Ma's china, I reached out and hugged her tight to still her and give her what comfort I could. We continued to sway together after that, but it was much less exaggerated than she'd been doing before.

After taking the coffee set out front, Ma, much more experienced in the ways of the world and who'd always seemed to deal with more than one issue at a time, started washing the dishes as she tried to talk Mary down. "Mary, you're being foolish, dear. Your father is a wise and intelligent man, who usually sees things as they are. We rarely argue as a result, but in the rare instance when we do, I can generally make him see reason before he makes a complete fool of himself."

She said nothing more but I got the distinct impression that she'd spoken with Pa in advance and given him his marching orders on the subject. With her making me too hot and starting to break a sweat, I let Mary go. She sat down, we started fanning ourselves as we began our wait.

It wasn't too long, for they came in from the porch a little later smelling of the cigar smoke that Ma normally refused to allow in the house.

Pa went and stood in front of Mary with a stern look. "Mary, Captain Walsh has asked me if he might court you. What say you to that, girlie?"

"Yes, Pa, please?"

Poor Mary, so scared, looked about to cry but even I could see it was all Pa could do to keep from breaking out in a smile. Fortunately for her, he broke first. "I told him yes, girlie, as long as you agreed. Give me a hug first then go hug your man."

***

Mary wore a gold locket on a chain around her neck after that, and I never saw her take it off, though she admitted to doing so when bathing and sleeping. Remembering that, I removed all the towels from the bathroom one day prior to her bath.

"Cla-ra! Clara! Where are the towels?" she cried out a short time later.

Trying not to grin from my spot in my room where I'd been waiting, I went running into the bathroom, the towels in my arms.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Clara! I washed the towels today and forgot to bring them back."

She sat in the tub glowering at me, her arms crossed over her breasts, only somewhat effectively.

I handed her a towel, and watched in the mirror as she got out and wrapped it around herself.

Yes! Mine really are bigger! I thought as I grinned.

She was so toned and gorgeous, but her eyes locked on mine in the mirror, and I glanced away, embarrassed at being caught. I quickly put the towels back in the cabinet and then saw the locket, my ultimate goal, on the countertop.

Reaching for it, my hand was just inches away when Mary caught my wrist. I looked around at her in surprise to see her chuckling. "Clara, you only had to ask. Go ahead, take a look."

She let go of my arm and smiled as I opened the locket to see a small picture of Captain Walsh.

"I always keep him close to my heart," she said, "just as he's always in it."

***

Captain Walsh stayed in Philadelphia while he completed his studies to take the bar exam. Mary and he spent time together nightly, sitting on the porch with Ma or me a few feet away, or walking around our neighborhood with me often trailing some distance behind, just close enough that I could hear their conversation without them realizing it, all while looking at him with puppy-dog eyes. I hated Mary for her good fortune in winning such a man, so I took great pleasure in simply clearing my throat to keep them from doing more than holding hands even as my heart ached, knowing that Mary would win in the end and I would be left with nothing but a memory of my first love that never truly was.

I was quite jealous of Mary during that period, for I so wanted Captain Leonard Newman Walsh to notice me, but I was his love's little sister. As a result, he only looked at me like that small yappy puppy, always chasing behind her, nipping at her heels. He never scratched behind my ears, or anywhere else, for that matter, but he did pat me on the head once, which made me so angry I wouldn't speak to him for days. Or at least until the next day, anyway.

As the summer passed, my frustration grew as their good-night kisses became longer and more passionate and Mary's feet walking practically inches above the ground told me that their time was short.

The situation came to a head in early October, but this time, Mary wasn't nervous as Pa and Captain Walsh went outside to sit on the front porch, once again smoking a cigar, the aroma from which filled the front room through the open windows. They were also drinking cognac; I knew, for Pa called for me to bring the glasses. Captain Walsh had brought a bottle back from France for a special occasion, and I guess they figured this would be as good as any since it would be illegal in just a few more months when Prohibition started.

"Thank you, girlie," said Pa, with Captain Walsh saying the same but addressing me by Clara instead. My heart raced at hearing him say that, but I wasn't able to enjoy the smile he gave me for more than a moment as Pa instructed me to run along.

I closed the front door quietly so Ma and Mary wouldn't hear, and then lingered, dusting furniture near that front window for a few moments afterward, listening to the discussion outside.

"So you love her?"

"Yes, sir, with all my heart."

"Respect her?"

"More than anything in the world, sir. And I'll do everything in my power to take care of her always, too."

Pa was silent for a few moments before I heard him say, "To health and happiness for you both, now and always."

The glasses clinked and I ran with tears in my eyes as I realized that was Pa's way of agreeing.

***

Chapter 3

Mary and Leo married two months later in late November 1919. They traveled by train to Niagara Falls, where they spent a week honeymooning before traveling on to Chicago for another few days, stopping for a while in Columbus, Ohio, to see his family, and then on to Washington, D.C. on their way home. After spending Christmas with us, they announced that they would be moving to their new home in Columbus, just after the start of the new year. Captain Walsh had taken a position with a law firm in that capital city, not too distant from his mother and brother.

I'd known it was coming, but the realization that my sister would be leaving me again, and this time, taking Leo away with her left me in a funk. I received word about that time that I'd received my teaching certificate, but schools hired on a yearly basis, so I applied for positions with local schools without success, even with Sister Jana Katherine's endorsement. Barring a crisis, it would be May or even June before I'd be accepted for a full-time teaching job for the fall, so I took jobs tutoring students in the area while watching the days on the calendar creep by.

I'd avoided the boys in the neighborhood without much effort to that point, but they finally started noticing my fuller, more mature figure. Billy Briggs, my old play pal, was among them, having returned home after having spent time in the army before being released without ever going overseas. While there was no interest on my part in Billy or any of the boys (as opposed to men like Mary's Leo), Ma said that wouldn't always be the case and that I should be starting my hope chest.

Pa bought me the chest and finished it, and Ma made me a set of linens that she called a trousseau starter set. Pa's job was done, but Ma had much more to do, instructing me on other things I'd need in time when the boys finally became men and the men finally attracted my fancy. I think Pa was glad to be left out of it, and, at the time, I envied him for that since I felt Mary's Leo would be the only man who would ever interest me.