Mysterious Stranger

Story Info
Bookstore owner has a crush...and gets a big surprise.
9.6k words
4.67
24.6k
23
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The bell above the carved wooden sign gave out a trill as the door was opened. Natty looked up from the dusty old periodical she had been perusing this past half hour. She gave a little gasp.

Him.

Again.

He had come into the shop every week for the past few months. Natty's assistant Viv teased her constantly about having a crush on him. Tall, with dark hair and piercing eyes, Natty had to admit he was crush worthy. She watched him for a moment as he looked at the window display that Viv had changed yesterday. Then he opened the door.

The drowsy air was wakened with the intake of wind and snow. He banged his feet on the doormat and stepped inside. Natty felt a slow tingling feeling deep inside. He turned to face the high counter behind which Natty sat, and smiled. Natty's eyes opened wide, and a small smile tugged at the corner of her lips as if smiling had suddenly become contagious.

"Can I help you?" Her voice sounded small and childlike in the relatively large room they were in. She glanced at the clock, noting that it was nearly closing time.

"Yes." The man's voice was rich and deep like butterscotch with the hint of an accent and it curled around Natty, making her feel warmer. "I'm looking for a first edition of this." He held up a copy of Beauty's Punishment and Natty felt her cheeks redden.

"The Sleeping Beauty Trilogy." She said softly.

"Yes. I noticed that you had a rather large section of erotica in your shop. Some really beautiful things."

She nodded, bemused. It was a pet secret of hers, this enjoyment of erotica. She felt as if he had read her hidden thoughts. "I don't have a first edition of that, but I can try and track one down for you."

"That would be lovely." He looked at her for a moment. "Would you care to come have tea or coffee with me?" His voice was persuasive. She looked at the clock again and back at him. A little shiver ran up her spine. As if sensing her hesitation, he spoke again. "I promise I don't bite." The accompanying warm smile was too much for Natty.

"Well, I was going to close up in ten minutes..."

"There's a great shop just around the corner." His voice was persuasive, and Natty nodded.

"I know that place. I've heard they do a great Earl Grey."

"Perfect."

She slipped off her stool and went around to the back of the shop to grab her coat and lock up, feeling as if she were in a trance. In a moment she was beside him, her hand on the light switch. "The alarm gets set outside. I don't need the door open for that." She explained, pulling the heavy wooden door firmly shut with a satisfying clang. Her fingers flew quickly over the keypad of the alarm and in moments she stepped back into a circle of light from an overhead lamppost. The snow was fine but she could hear it scrunch under the soles of her boots.

"My name is Bram." He took her arm and guided her along the narrow walkways of the city. She resisted at first, but grew accustomed to the feel of his firm hand on her arm. It must be some European thing she mused. He spoke little, merely pointing out treacherous spots in the rutted sidewalk. She wondered at herself. Normally at this time she'd be heading home to her apartment, some dusty tome carefully wrapped up in oilskin, humming a tune and planning what she would have for dinner. She was a creature of habit. She liked her daily routine. Get up, get washed, get dressed and go to work. Day in the bookshop, maybe lunch on the small green space across from the shop, then home to read.

Yet here she was, being guided through the streets of the city by a perfect stranger. She blinked as a snowflake fell on her eyelashes and looked up at him.

"Almost there."

In a few short steps they were at the bright entrance to the Russian Tea Room. He held the door for her and she scurried through, wiping the snow off her coat.

"Table for two. Someplace quiet." His voice cut through the idle chatter around them and the small, dapper man behind the counter nodded.

"Yes sir. Right this way." He led them through the labyrinthine of rooms, pausing here and there to have a word with a customer, or to drop a small joke into the conversation. Finally they came to a small room with an exquisitely carved table and chairs. The small man bowed, and Bram spoke to him quietly. He nodded and whisked out the door, pulling it firmly behind him.

"I ordered for us. I hope you don't mind."

"No, not at all." She leaned back in her chair, trying to forget the oddness of her actions.

"You're not uncomfortable?"

She laughed nervously. "Maybe a little."

"Don't be." His hand came across the table and encompassed hers. She felt the warmth of his skin permeating her body.

"Don't you want to know my name?" She said.

"Yes, of course."

"Natasha. But people call me Natty." She looked around the small room, at the various pictures and articles festooning the walls. "I've never been here."

"What? Never?" he rubbed his thumb against the back of her hand and then turned it over to explore her palm.

"No. It's too expensive for me." Natty felt a slow heat spiraling out from where he touched her. This is madness. She didn't try to remove her hand.

"Have you read the books?" His voice jolted her back to reality.

"I...um...yes." She stammered, remembering the dog-eared pages of her paperback copies of the Sleeping Beauty Trilogy, resting in their spot under her bed. She wanted to bite her tongue after she realized she should have asked which books.

"What did you think?" his finger had made its way up her arm nearly to the crook of her elbow, gliding up her smooth skin and back down again.

"They're very well written..." she offered.

"When you read those words, do you long to be the captive princess Beauty?"

She made a move to extricate her arm but just then the door opened and the small man came in bearing a tray laden with delectable goodies. He set the teapot in the center of the table and gave Bram and Natty each an exquisite bone china teacup. For a few minutes Natty was spared as the man fussed about pouring the tea, but all too soon he was gone. Bram looked at Natty intently.

"Do you? I sense something inside of you, Natty. Something deep, something dark."

"How would you know that? We've just met." Natty exclaimed, taking a sip of the tea and instantly blowing on it to cool it down.

"I've watched you. Does that make you uncomfortable?" He leaned forward. Natty sat stock still.

"It does, a bit." She said slowly, her eyes never leaving his as if he were a dangerous creature that couldn't be trusted.

"I'm sorry. I know it was wrong of me but you intrigued me so. The bookstore, it belongs to you?"

"Yes." Natty replied nervously.

"So you are the one who orders all the books." His face looked smug. "I couldn't help noticing the extensive collection of erotica. I assume it's of particular interest to you?"

"I...uhm..." she twisted her feet around the rungs of her chair and blushed.

"No need to be ashamed, it's of interest to me as well." He held up the parcel containing Beauty's Punishment and smiled. "This subject is of interest to me, greatly. Are you shocked, Natty?"

She lowered her eyes. "No." her voice was small.

He reached forwards and took her chin in his hands, lifting her face to him. "Yes, you are. Shocked but a little exited too. I can tell."

Her flush deepened as she was forced to look into his eyes. Such beautiful, deep eyes. Full of intensity and something more...an underlying sadness? She shook herself mentally. "What do you do? For a living, I mean?"

"Trying to change the subject? Well, this time I'll let you as you're so very sweet. I'm a photographer. Freelance. I love it."

"That must be very interesting." Natty moved backwards a fraction, and his hand left her chin.

"It is. I do some journalism work and some private work. Mostly portraits. I'd love to photograph you. With those high cheekbones I bet the camera loves you."

"I never...that is, I don't like having my picture taken."

"You would if it were me behind the lens." He smiled, a twinkle in his eye. "Come on, give it a try. I'll let you have the negatives if you hate them."

"Really?" Natty sat forward, eyes huge.

"Cross my heart." Bram made and exaggerated crossing motion across his chest and Natty laughed. "That's a girl. You only live once. Let's capture that beauty."

"I don't know..." Natty bit her lip. "I don't normally do this sort of thing." She gestured around her. "Not even go out to tea with strangers."

"But I'm not a stranger now, am I?" Bram gave a small laugh. "Here's my card, so you know I'm legit." He reached inside his breast pocket and withdrew a small card. Natty took it and read it.

"Bram Jordan. Photographer." She read. "Not a whole lot of info, is there?" She made to hand it back but Bram waved her away.

"Keep it."

Natty bent down and tucked it inside her purse. She took longer than was strictly necessary, using the moment to ponder his offer. It couldn't hurt...a part of her was thinking, then, You don't know this man! The latter voice sounded suspiciously like her mother. Natty sat back up and cleared her throat. "Well, maybe..."

"That's great! Let's finish up here then we can go back to my studio."

"What, tonight?" Natty squeaked. "I don't know..."

"No time like the present." He took a cake from the tiered tray and bit into it with obvious enjoyment. "Take the bull by the horns, Natty."

She reached out and took a macaroon. How long was it since she had been out with a man? She couldn't remember. Over a year, certainly. She had gotten into a rut. Work, read, eat, repeat. She looked at Bram from under her eyelashes.

"All right. Just let me call my friend to let her know where I'll be." Natty took out her mobile. She paused, hand poised over the keypad. "Where is your studio?"

"Vine and forty seventh. Number 774."

Natty dialed her friend Viv's number. After four rings he picked up. "Hullo?"

"It's Natty. Listen, I'm going out tonight."

"Going out! That's great, Natty! With who? A man?" Viv's voice went from sleepy to animated in a second.

"Yes. I just want you to know in case..." she trailed off, looking at Bram. He smiled encouragingly and she continued. "The address is vine and forty seventh. Number 774."

"Gotcha. I'm writing it down. Did you make sure to put on clean knickers this morning?" Viv drawled.

"Good bye, Viv." Natty said firmly and pressed the end button before he could embarrass her any more.

"You're a smart girl, to call your friend like that." Bram said. "Although you're perfectly safe with me."

Natty blushed. "Viv works with me. But she's also my best friend."

"That small blonde girl I've seen in the shop?"

"Yes, that's her." Natty said, toying with her teacup.

"Shall we go?" Bram stood suddenly and picked up Natty's coat. He held it out to her, and she slipped her arms inside, feeling a little glow of pleasure. How long had it been since anyone was that chivalrous with her? Never, the little voice inside her head said. They left the tea room and Bram hailed a cab. "Normally I'd drive, but I didn't bring the car. I like the walk to your bookshop."

The cab pulled up outside a row of shops, all very upscale looking. Bram paid the driver and helped her out, then took a ring of keys from his pocket. He led her to the shop on the far end, and above it in modern print was the title, B. Jordan Photography. Natty waited as he unlocked the door, then she was inside. He flipped a switch and the interior flooded with light. She looked around with interest. The walls were hung with black and white photographs, some landscapes but mostly portraits. Moody and atmospheric, Natty thought, strolling around the shop to look at them.

"May I take your coat?" Bram was behind her, and Natty jumped. She allowed him to slip the coat off, heart hammering in her chest.

"Thank you." She murmured, trying to appear calm. He went through a door behind the counter and in a moment soft music was playing.

"I always like to play music when I shoot, it sets the tone." He said easily, moving back beside Natty. He pointed to a picture of a dowager with a small tiara. "That's the Duchess of Nordberg. She was a pain to photograph; she kept telling me how to do my own job."

Natty giggled. "Who's that?" she pointed to a picture of a pompous looking young man who stared belligerently out of the frame as if to tell everyone he was beneath having his portrait taken.

"That's the Duchess' son, Norval. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree." He winked at Natty and she giggled again. They went around the entire shop, Bram telling her what each portrait was, giving little snippets of information both funny and serious. When they had finished Natty realized with a shock that she was no longer frightened.

"Shall we shoot some photos?" Bram asked.

Natty nodded. He led the way to the back room, and switched on the light there. The room was filled with various props, from a tall, rather imposing carved chair to the smallest wooden rocking horse. "I do a lot of portraits of children." Bram explained, seeing where Natty was looking. She scanned the room and saw, in the corner, an unusual settee. "That's called a fainting couch. The lack of arms makes it perfect for posing pretty girls."

Natty flushed. Did he expect her to pose on that? Bram moved easily about the studio, taking out a camera and positioning lights. "Have a seat." He indicated the tall chair and she sighed a breath of relief. She sat down on the chair and watched him, his hands agile and easy with the equipment. She noticed the way his broad shoulders moved under the thin material of his shirt.

"I'm going to do a few head shots of you first, to capture that dreamy look you have." He bent down and moved her face, the touch oddly intimate although Natty supposed he did that to all his clients. She stilled, keeping the position he wanted. "Why so scared, Natty?" He stepped back, holding the camera up to his face. "Those eyes are too expressive. Must get you into trouble." His fingers worked on the camera and Natty heard a series of clicks. "Beautiful. Could you tilt your head to the left a bit?" Natty tilted her head obediently and he nodded. "Good girl."

At the sound of those words Natty felt as if her insides had turned into molten goo. Good girl. Why did she so long to be called that? He moved around her, snapping photos as he moved. From time to time he would either move her face gently or ask her to move it. She felt almost drowsy, but her nerves were tingling with something completely different from fatigue.

"Right. I've gotten a lot of good shots. I'll let you take a break. Would you like a drink?" he put the camera down and smiled at Natty. She stood, stretching her arms above her head. "Never knew posing for a few pictures could be so tiring, did you?" He joked, and Natty smiled. "I have a bottle of wine in the fridge out back, would you like a glass?" He moved towards the door.

"I don't know..." she said doubtfully.

"I'm not trying to get you drunk, sweet girl." He laughed. Natty laughed with him.

"Well, just one." She agreed, and he motioned for her to follow. She padded after him into a small room out back that served as a tiny kitchen. "Sometimes I eat here, when I have a long day shooting." He explained.

"Yes, that makes sense." Natty watched him open the small fridge and take out a bottle of white.

"Do you like Chardonnay?" he asked, pulling two glasses out of a cupboard.

"Mmm, yes." Natty nodded.

"Good." He uncorked the wine and poured two glasses, handing one to Natty. "Here's to the lovely Natty and her new career as a muse." He clinked his glass against hers and took a sip. Natty followed suit, bemused.

They drank the wine in silence for a few minutes, Bram's eyes never leaving Natty's face. She shifted on her stool a bit uncomfortably. "Am I making you nervous?" he asked softly. "I hope not."

"I'm just not used to being scrutinized." She explained. "I feel like I have something in my teeth."

"Get used to it, Natty." He lifted the glass to his lips and drank.

She felt the same languorous feeling in her limbs, as if she were floating on a warm sea. She thought his words should alarm her, but somehow she felt relaxed. Must be the wine, she thought to herself. In a few moments he refilled their glasses. Natty started to protest but he shushed her. "You don't have to drink it if you don't want to."

"It's very good." Natty murmured.

"Yes, a good year. Would you like to take it back into the studio, if you're ready to shoot some more?"

"What time is it?" Natty asked, suddenly aware that it must be late.

"Almost eleven. Do you have to be home for some reason?"

Natty thought about her small apartment which would be cold and empty. The thought of going back there seemed depressing, suddenly. "No, I don't."

"Good. I want to take some more pictures of you. I promise I'll get you home by midnight, if that's what you want."

"Okay." Natty stood from her stool and followed him back to the studio. She felt a bit lightheaded and wondered if she was being stupid.

"I'd love for you to lie on the fainting couch, if you're comfortable with that." He motioned towards the delicate looking couch and Natty nodded. "Good girl." She sat down awkwardly, but Bram moved her arms and legs, draping her over the couch until he was satisfied. She wondered at herself, alone with a man and letting him touch her body.

"For these I want you to think about the thing you most desire in life. I want to see that hunger in your eyes. I've seen it before, when you were in the shop looking at book catalogues. Now let's try for something a bit more...personal." He moved around her with the camera again and Natty thought about her fantasies. Nobody knew about them, not even Viv. The well worn copy of Beauty's Punishment. The idea of belonging to somebody, surrendering body and soul.

"Excellent. You must be thinking of something wonderful. Your eyes..." Bram bent down close to her face. Natty's breath quickened. He moved closer. "I've never seen such soulful eyes. Natty of the mysterious heart." His lips brushed hers and she gasped against him.

"I...you..." Natty stammered, sitting up. Bram smiled down at her.

"Not ready yet, beautiful girl?"

"No...I mean..." She looked beseechingly up at him.

"It's all right. I don't want to rush you." He picked up the camera and set it down on a shelf. "I'll take you home now."

He got her coat and within minutes they were inside his sleek black car heading towards her apartment. She sat there, wondering what she was feeling.

"Tell me what you're thinking." Bram asked softly, putting one hand on her knee.

"I don't know exactly." She admitted.

"Yes. You're unused to this sort of attention. I frightened you. The last thing I want to do is scare you off, Natty. Do you understand me?"

"Yes."

"Good. Here we are." He hopped out of the car and went around to open her door. She got out and fumbled with her purse, searching for her keys. On the doorstep she turned to look at him. He reached down and took her hand, turning it over and kissing the palm. "Sweet dreams, sweet girl." He said, and then he was gone.

Natty opened the door and stepped inside. Everything seemed different, somehow. It's not your apartment, Natty, it's you. She took off her coat and went into the kitchen as if she were sleepwalking. She got the ovaltine out of the cupboard and went to the fridge for milk. As she made the comforting drink she remembered his hands on her body, the touch of his lips on hers. It had been a very interesting evening. She popped the mug into the microwave and went to put on her pajamas. As she was changing she looked at herself in the mirror. What did he see that she didn't?