Nalcara's Shackles Ch. 10

Story Info
A bard comes to town, and trouble comes to the shop.
6.7k words
4.92
830
1

Part 10 of the 11 part series

Updated 02/18/2024
Created 02/05/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
pbflyboy
pbflyboy
44 Followers

Then

Nalcara sighed as she looked across the rooftops of Carpenden. It was not a huge city but it was large enough. They had most certainly come through this way, but where had they gone? And how long ago? She had to be catching up. She hoped. Slipping to invisibility, she stepped off the roof of the stable she'd spent the night in, and began to weave through the buildings around it. She would need to start checking the inns for some trace of her quarry's passage, and perhaps there destination. Fortunately for her, Jix seemed to make an impression where ever she went.

Nalcara had spoken with dozens of boatmen who'd ferried them down the waterways flowing south. "Yeah, I member the green fairy girl." One old timer had told her. "Tiny thing, but she wern't afeared 'o' nuffin'. Saw her fly out by herself ta take care 'o' some bastards shootin' at us from the bank. Dunno what she did, but they didn't like it."

Several of the wealthier families along the route remembered the mage and her fairy as well. The adults spoke of the mage and the work she'd done for them. The children had different stories. "Jix? Yes! When Garand was being mean to us she made him small and scared him away."

She'd heard of their new companion from a caravan that they had traveled with. "Oh, aye. Tallish girl. Blonde hair. Traveling with the mage and her fairy. Did most of the talkin'. Though the green one put her two copper in pretty regular."

"That sounds just like her." Nalcara said. "Do you know where they went."

The man shrugged. "They split with us at Highhelm. Headed 'cross the mountains I think. South."

South. Always south. Nalcara took some dim satisfaction in that they were running out of land. She worried they might be headed to Absalom, or worse yet, across the Inner Sea, but she would cross that bridge if it came to that. For now, she focused on the next clue.

The atomie cruised stealthily around town, surveying the local inns, before landing behind one and assuming her human shape with the 'alter self' spell. A 'disguise self' was also necessary, as her clothing didn't adjust, but it made her indistinguishable from any other woman out for a stroll. And so disguised, she could interview innkeepers without causing a scene.

"Sorry. No green fairies here." The barman said. "Heard about one bein' in town, but didn't come in here."

"I see. Well, thank you for your time." Nalcara hadn't learned anything useful. None of the inns recalled an atomie passing through. The trail was growing cold, and she wracked her brain for any shred of a lead. "Are there any magic shops near by?" Sarah was a wizard after all. Maybe she stopped for supplies.

"Oh, yeah. There's that elf on the edge of town." The barman replied. "Couldn't tell you where, exactly. Never been. And I guess there's a new one near by, just opened up. Guard can probably tell you where.

New mage in town! Opened a shop! Eldest, could it be? Nalcara stammered another thank you to the confused barkeep and rushed out the door. Once outside, she scanned the street for a guard's uniform. It took her a few blocks to actually spot one. "Excuse me, good sir, but I'm told there is a new shop for magic around here." She struggled to keep her voice calm and polite. She could be so close! Was she? "Could I trouble you for directions?"

"Of course, ma'am." The guard was a somewhat hulking young man, but pleasant enough. "Two blocks up and one over. But you're in luck. That's the mage, over there. Just follow her. Looks like she's headed home."

Nalcara's breath actually caught in her throat as she turned to follow the guard's pointing finger.

Now

"Good morning, Terra." Narani said as she strolled into Leather Bound. She was dressed simply, in a snug blouse and breeches with her Calistrian holy symbol hanging in modest cleavage. A whip coiled on her hip and leather boots completed the ensemble. "Is Sarah ready for me?"

"Hey Nara." The girl replied brightly from behind her counter. "She ought to be. She's been working in there since before dawn... and it's... oh gosh, I'd better get her some lunch. She forgets to eat when she gets like this. Just go ahead and knock on the door. Tell her I'll be in in a bit."

Narani chuckled. "She's lucky to have you." She moved toward the door. "Most days I'd have been more than happy to let my superiors starve."

"Well, I do like having a job." Terra replied, slipping out from behind the counter. "And, you know, no magic shop without a mage."

Narani rapped lightly on the door she knew led to Sarah's workshop. Receiving a vocal reply, she entered, finding the room warm and steamy, stemming from a bubbling cauldron over the fireplace. "Ah, I see your plan." The cleric purred. "You keep it so warm in here, you expect me to start shedding clothes to stay comfortable. Clever. Shall I just strip now?"

"W-hat?" Sarah stammered as she turned to greet her visitor. "I didn't... I mean..."

The mage closed her eyes and took a breath, recognizing her friend's teasing. "You've got me. I don't actually need your assistance. I just wanted to stare at your naked backside bent over my desk. Hello Nara. Thank you for coming."

"Oh, don't tease, Sarah." Narani pouted before breaking into a grin. "Terra says lunch will be served shortly. Now, how does this work? I've never made potions before."

"The difficult part is done." Replied Sarah, gesturing to the cauldron. "In a few minutes, I'll hand you a vial with the base solution, you cast a spell in to it and cork it. How many healing spells do you have available?"

"I asked Calistria for four of the lowest tier. Cure lights, as the adventurers call them." Narani replied.

"Very good." Said Sarah. "I should be able the finish off the rest with the spells I have prepared. Will two of the potions be appropriate compensation?"

Narani accepted a lightly steaming vial the mage offered her. "Most agreeable. We don't have a potion-maker at the shrine. All our potions are purchased." She eye-balled the liquid before casting her spell in to it. The substance illuminated briefly before settling to a translucent blue-green. "Huh. That's it?" The cleric held the glass up to the light of the window before corking it. "Looks like a potion to me."

Narani finished her work quickly, setting two of the new potions down on Sarah's workbench, and slipping two into her belt pouch. "Wonderful! Next time you do this, let me know a day or so in advance, so I can ask for the proper spells."

"Of course." Sarah smiled back. "I know how that works. Thank you for your help. If we keep this up every few weeks, we should be able to build a fair stock of potions."

"Indeed." The cleric returned. "There was one more thing I wanted to discuss. On Fireday, a bard will be performing at the Maiden. She's a friend and member of the Society. She passes through now and again, and winters with Lara at the manor. I'd like to introduce you. She is however, quite popular, and I'm guessing the place will be quite crowded."

Sarah felt her stomach clench as her friend spoke. Crowds; people in general, still made her cringe. The Moonday meetings were getting easier, but those were populated by, for the most part, friends. Strangers, even distant acquaintances gave her fits. And in large numbers... She raised her eyes to the cleric who was gazing back calmly. She knew exactly what she was asking, damn it.

"You will, of course, be my guest and join me at Lara's table." Narani put in, anticipating the mage's hesitation. "Jean and Sini will also be joining us. And I've invited Jossi. Terra, it seems, has already been invited to join Korina with some other guards."

Sarah exhaled a long breath. "You've put some preparation in to this, so it would be rude to disappoint. Shall I meet you there?"

"I will drop by and escort you." Narani replied with a warm smile. "I am aware how difficult this will be, so I will do what I can to make it easier. I am a professional companion after all."

"I feel better already." Sarah said with a hint of her trademark deadpan humor.

Narani rolled her eyes but could not suppress a grin. "You will have the time of your life." She smirked. "Just you wait." She turned to leave. "I'll see you on Fireday."

"Time of my life." Sarah sighed when the cleric had gone. "Some how I doubt--" *clonk* The mage started as a block of wood that had until that point, been seated squarely on the side plane of her workbench came loose and fell to the floor. She considered it a moment before glancing out the window to the sundial in the back. "Huh." She muttered. "Right on time."

- - -

Sarah was not having the time of her life. The atmosphere around her was indeed festive. However, the Shackled Maiden was packed to near bursting. Many of the trademark dungeon accoutrements had been moved aside to make room for the extra people. The mage's nerves were practically humming. Granted, it could have been worse. She sat at the Lady Silver's table, which was a small buffer from the greater mass of people. And there were many familiar faces sprinkled through out the crowd. Terra was visible with Captain Tarnhoff at a raucous table nearby. The dancers had been conscripted as waitstaff for the evening. In fact most of the Society seemed to be here tonight, though it was odd to see them with their husbands and families.

Then there was the headliner; the bard that had drawn such a large crowd. A voluptuous, dusky-skinned woman named Katerna Starfall. She was certainly a distraction. Her wit was razor sharp. Her voice was crystal clear. Her outfit was cut to accentuate the form underneath. She worked the entire crowd effortlessly. If Sarah allowed her mind to relax, she could almost forget where she was. Almost.

"She's really good, right?"

Sarah glanced to Jossi, seated to her left. She had been working to make conversation all night, and the mage had been struggling not to disappoint her. "She does have an impressive vocal range. And the influence she's had on the local dancers is obvious. Her humor is a little... base for my taste, but I suppose for a tavern crowd it's perfect. I can see why she's popular."

"Uh," The young engineer blinked, having gotten a bit more than she expected. "Glad you're enjoying it?"

"Analysis helps Sarah cope with the dearth of people here tonight." Said Narani from Sarah's other side. "I do apologize, Sarah. This is even more of a crowd than I expected. I'd like to introduce you to Kata before I escort you home, however."

"I'm doing fine." Replied Sarah. "I'd, of course, be happier locked in my workshop, but sitting between the two of you, I can 'cope' a while longer."

"Cope with my performance? I'm not really sure how to take that." The bard breezed over to the Lady's table and deposited herself in an empty chair, tossing her long, dark hair over her shoulder. Her chair apparently, as she immediately took a long pull from the mug there. "Ah well. If you can't take a critic, you shouldn't be an entertainer." She scanned over the table. "Nara! Good to see you! And Jos! Invent anything diabolical lately?" Her gaze stopped on Sarah. "You, though, are new. And you are?"

Larenia, two seats away from Sarah, but right next to the bard, came to the Mage's rescue. "Oh! My manners! This, Kata, is our new resident wizard, Sarah Wright. Sarah, Katerna Starfall. And I believe Ms. Wright is coping with this immense crowd you've drawn, not your performance."

"Correct." Confirmed Sarah, extending a hand. "A pleasure."

"So you are the one!" Said Katerna, taking the offered hand with a broad smile. "Lara, Kasu, and their girls have all spoken highly of you. And the magic toys you've been making, though as a songstress I find a device that steals your voice slightly offensive."

"Most who wear it do." Replied Sarah. "Which is the point, I guess."

"And you have a fairy companion, I'm told." The bard went on, her expression tightening slightly. "Is she here as well? I should very much like to meet her."

Sarah felt the good cheer around the table catch for a second at the mention of her missing friend, but she smiled and answered. "Yes, Jix. She's an atomie, and will likely be sorry she missed meeting you. But she is traveling currently. Family business."

Katerna's face seemed to relax. "I'll be honest. When I heard there was a mage with a fairy, I was expecting you kept her as a pet. I've known fey. Most are intelligent creatures. But if she's traveling without you, well, I'm pleased to be wrong."

"Good of you to be concerned." Said Sarah. "But no, I consider Jix a friend. She is not my pet or my prisoner." She gestured to the others at the table. "Unless, of course, she wishes to be. And even then, turns are taken."

"I take your point." Katerna grinned impishly in reply. "An enticing picture. It is, indeed, a pleasure to meet you, Sarah Wright, and I look forward to speaking with you again. But, the crowd grows restless." She stood and drained her cup. "Break's over!"

"Are you going to play your fiddle tonight?"Jossi asked, a little excitedly.

The performer's face fell. "Oh, no, I'm afraid not. The road is a dangerous place. I was attacked one night and it was smashed. I haven't been able to replace it yet. It was a special instrument and such craftsmen are hard to find."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Said Narani, her brow furrowing. "I know how attached to it

you were. It's been with you since I've known you. What happened?"

"Some oaf stomped on it." Scowled the bard. "I don't know if he was a thief, a slaver, or just a thug. Doesn't matter. I gathered up the pieces and used magic to try and fix it. Mending." She nodded to Sarah and Narani. "But it was no good."

"Do you still have the pieces?" Sarah asked.

"I... do." Katerna sighed. "It's like an old friend. I haven't been able to bring myself to dispose of them. But I suppose I'll have to eventually."

"Bring it by the shop tomorrow." Said Sarah. "We'll see what we can do."

"You think you can fix it?" The Bard raise an eyebrow, but looked hopeful. "It's in pieces."

"Sarah's pretty good with stuff." Jossi gushed. "I bet she can just 'fabricate' it back together!"

"Uh, I've haven't had enough experience with musical instruments to do that." Demurred Sarah. "But I can have a 'make whole' prepared."

Katerna's face lit up. "Make whole'! I should have thought of that! And you can cast it?!" She suddenly schooled her expression, closing her eyes and reopening them with a still happy, but much less exaggerated expression. "And how much will this cost me?"

Sarah let her eyes drift over the restless crowd, and the hopeful faces of her friends at the table. "In the interest of public morale," the mage said, "this one will be on the house."

Katerna could no longer hide her delight. "I will see you tomorrow then." She turned and literally skipped back to the stage to a cheering crowd.

Sarah watched her ascend the steps before her attention returned to the table to find sly grins all around the table. "W-what?" The mage stammered

"That went well." Smirked Larenia, her attention returning to the renewed show. "I had a feeling you and Kata might get on but you have, once again, exceeded my expectations, Ms. Wright."

Narani elbowed the mage lightly in the ribs. "Look at you, winning friends and influencing people. We'll make a socialite out of you yet."

Sarah rolled her eyes but smiled weakly. "Perhaps." Replied Sarah. "Not tonight, though. We'll call it a work in progress."

"Agreed." Said Narani.

- - -

Sarah picked the restored fiddle up when the magic faded and turned it over in her hands. It was a magnificent instrument with a touch of magic to it, explaining why Katerna's 'mending' hadn't worked. Even with her untrained eye, she could see the craftsmanship that had gone into making it. The mage felt it might, more accurately, be called a violin, simply for the skill so obviously involved, but she was not going argue with its owner. Katerna had arrived, guided by Kasuri and Reeva who had other business, and reverently unwrapped the shattered pieces from an oil cloth. Sarah had left the bundle on the counter, and begun casting the lengthy spell while the bard paced behind her like an expectant father at the healer. The mage turned. "Looks like it worked. You will have to examine it- Oh!"

"That's what you get for doing magic out front." Whispered Terra over the counter. She was referring to the crowd of people milling behind the anxious bard. "It doesn't hurt that Katerna's popular and Reeva is magically changing clothes in the corner."

"Ah." Sarah glanced at the dancer trying out a 'hat of disguise'. "Right." She focused her attention on the bard. "So, yes. You'll have to check it out." She extended the fiddle outward. "You'll also have to restring it. I doubt I'd have gotten the tune right anyway." She raised her eyes to the bard's face.

Katerna's eyes were wide and a little misty. She reached out and gingerly took the instrument. "Gods." She whispered. "You did it." She turn the fiddle over in her hands. "Even the inscription..." The bard let out a sigh that was nearly a whimper, before stepping forward. With one arm she cradled her fiddle, the other she threw around the mage pulling her close. "Thank you."

"Hrk!" Sarah gasped, more out of surprise than anything. "My... pleasure?" Their height difference put Sarah's face at about the same level as the bard's not inconsiderable bust. The Mage had to work a little to avoid being smothered. "You should, um, reserve judgment until you get to play it."

"You are correct, of course!" Katerna released her captive. "Modest, but correct. I do believe I will acquire some string and spend a little time with an old friend. Will I see you on Moonday?"

"I will be in attendance, yes." Replied Sarah.

"Then I look forward to it. Until then." The bard made her way out the door, and much to Sarah's relief, most of the crowd followed her out.The mage released a breath that doubled as a sigh as she turned toward Reeva and Kasuri, but stiffened as another voice addressed her.

"Excuse me, Miss." An elderly gentlemen in threadbare clothes that must once have been fine, had remained as the bard's fans had departed. "Can I take what we saw to mean you can fix things that are broken?"

"Yes." Said Sarah, working to keep her smile from looking forced. "Assuming you have the majority of the object in question. I will also need forewarning to have the necessary magic prepared. What would you like repaired?"

"A sword." He replied. "Family heirloom. It was badly damaged battling a dragon years ago. My dad always said it was magnificent back in its day. If you can repair it..."

"I will certainly try." Sarah glanced over to the counter. "Please make an appointment with that young lady over there. I'll quote you a price when I see what we're working with." She glanced to Terra, who's ears had perked up when she'd been gestured to. "No sooner than tomorrow, Terra. I'll need time to prepare another spell."

"You got it Boss!" Terra replied with a smile. "Right over here, sir, and we'll get this worked out."

Sarah took a deep breath, though she couldn't help a smile. Bondage gear, women's underwear, hair removal, and now repair service. Not the business model she'd planned, but you couldn't argue with success. Glancing around for any more impending interruptions, she made her way to the corner where Reeva was fine tuning her latest outfit. "And how are things over here?"

The dancer looked up from the buttons she was rearranging down the front of the fancy gown. "Sarah! This thing is amazing! It took me a few minutes to work out imagining a whole outfit, but this is exactly what I'm looking for!" She spun gracefully around, and the complex dress dissolving, leaving her in just a set of underthings reminiscent of Sarah's designs. "I can even make it look like I'm not dressed, but my clothes are really still on!"

pbflyboy
pbflyboy
44 Followers
12