Nalcara's Shackles Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kasuri reached out an cuffed her employee across the back of the head. "Family establishment, Reeva." She growled. Once the cowed dancer was clothed again, Kasuri turned to the mage. "Indeed. Quite an entertaining device, Sarah. And as I am present in the capacity of financial support, I will ask; How much does a 'hat of disguise' cost?" She gestured to the object in question, which resembled a clip in Reeva's hair.

"The standard asking price is nine hundred gold pieces." Sarah replied. "With some variation depending on the hat in question. I am, however, prepared to let you have this one for eight. Reeva assisted me last Moonday, plus the standard society discount of course."

"Of course." Kasuri nodded. She glanced a the dancer, who had summoned a full suit of impractical purple armor. "Reeva?"

"Oh!" Reeva jumped, sending shimmers through her outfit. "Uh, yes! I have five hundred and forty seven gold pieces saved, so i can..."

"You can keep money for food." Kasuri growled. "I will loan you three hundred. You will repay me. I will, however, forgo interest if you share with the other girls until you debt is clear."

Sarah watched the interaction between them, as Reeva bit her lip and contemplated her offer. It seemed to the Mage that, despite Kasuri's penchant for sadism, The Mistress of The Shackled Maiden was a good and caring person. It was this thought running through her mind when she realized her right hand was massaging her left which was tingling slightly. A 'pins and needles' sensation that she had not felt in some time. Her breathe caught as she heard the door to the shop open. Her shoulders tensed as she heard Terra greet who or whatever had walked in.

"Good day Ma'am, and welcome to Leather Bound." The counter girl began. "How may I help you."

"I wish to see the proprietor." The woman replied. She was not rude; she did not demand. Her voice was clear and even. But Sarah sensed the chill in it.

Sarah turned slowly to see that a man and a woman had entered. The man appeared to be a, well, bodyguard was charitable. Hired thug seemed more appropriate. It was the woman, however that poured ice water down the wizard's spine. She reminded Sarah of Lady Celestine, in that she might have been beautiful if she would drop the sneer from her face. The woman was tall, not slender but fit, with long dark hair, though there was a single streak of grey along her left side. Her clothes were fine and flattering, if a little masculine; she wore breeches as opposed to a skirt with a long fur trimmed cloak for the chilly autumn air. And she carried a knobbly walking stick stained a dark color. Regardless of her civil appearance, Sarah felt the ominous presence that followed her into the building. And between the woman's imperious demeanor, and the the implications of her tingling arm, Sarah was momentarily paralyzed with anxiety. Fortunately, she was not alone.

"Vanessa." Kasuri spoke up, her voice dripping with an odd combination of contempt and honeyed sweetness. "Out amongst the common folk today? You must have important business to lower yourself as such."

The woman, Vanessa, turned at the sound of her name. And when she replied she didn't bother to disguise her dislike for the petite businesswoman. "Oh, it's you. I shouldn't be surprised." She glance over Kasuri's shoulder at Reeva who was doing her best to hide behind her much smaller boss. "And you brought one of you whores."

"And you brought yours." Kasuri said with a smile, not even looking at the thug who'd taken several steps back when he'd noticed her presence.

"I don't have time for... the usual pleasantries." Vanessa recovering from the bump in composure. "I have business with this shop's operator."

"Allow me to assist you." Kasuri pressed, perhaps too sweetly. She gestured to the frozen mage. "This is Sarah Wright. Sarah, this is Councilwoman Vanessa Van Tyne. The *second richest person in Carpenden." The slight emphasis on the word 'second' caused the councilwoman's eye to twitch, but the introduction did shake Sarah from her frozen state.

"Ahem, yes. G-good day, Councilwoman." Sarah worked to keep her voice steady. "And welcome to my establishment. What can I do for you today."

"I am here today to discuss your sign." The councilwoman went on.

"Don't like books, Vanessa?" Asked Kasuri.

"It's an eyesore." The councilwoman pressed on. "Not only is it shabbily made, but the graphic opposite the book is downright offensive. The council..."

"I find it difficult to believe the rest of the council take issue with either side of the shingle." Put in Kasuri with a sly grin. "Particularly Councilman Crowley."

"Believe what you wish." The councilwoman kept her eyes on the Mage. "I hope you can acquire a refund."

"I... made it myself." Said Sarah.

"How unfortunate for you." Sneered Vanessa. "But the council has discussed this, and I demand you remove it immediately."

"If I might interject..." put in Kasuri.

"No, you may not." returned Vanessa with something of a growl. "No one wants to hear anything you have to say."

"Councilwoman, please." Said Sarah, perhaps too quietly. "Be respectful. These are my customers."

"You're giving her a lot of credit, Sarah." Kasuri said. "At any rate, you'd be wise to request to see any paperwork before acting. I have no doubt the council did discuss your sign, but without a decree signed by all of them, Van--" Kasuri's eyes flicked to the Mage and she smiled. "Councilwoman VanTyne has not the authority to 'demand' anything."

"Nobody asked you." VanTyne hissed.

"Just offering a colleague the benefit of my extensive experience with your tactics." Kasuri said smoothly. "The esteemed Councilwoman has attempted to close my restaurant no less than seven times and has yet to produce any official parchment."

"Your 'business' is a blight on the city." Barked VanTyne. "A squalid den of iniquity."

"The rest of the council seem to differ with you on that opinion." Replied Kasuri.

"Only because those old fools are drooling over the whores you employ!" The councilwoman jabbed a finger at the still cowering Reeva.

"Ms VanTyne." Interjected Sarah, only slightly louder than before. "These are my customers. Please exercise some restraint. Now Ms. Hai brings up a valid point. Do you have some documentation of the council's decision?"

"I... do not at this time." VanTyne hissed through gritted teeth.

"I see." Said Sarah. "In that case, I will take no action at this time. If the council does, in the future, make such a decision, I will of course, comply."

"You most certainly will!" Barked VanTyne. "Then there is the question of whether the 'magic' you peddle is having an adverse affect on your neighbors!"

"I've had no complaints." Replied Sarah, her brow furrowing. "And my craft is largely limited to the confines of this building."

"I've heard complaints." VanTyne smiled rather venomously. "And I am working to arrange an inspection..."

"And who will you get to inspect, Van Tyne?" It seemed both women were giving up on the veneer of civility. "The only other competent wizard in town is a direct competitor. And I'm sure you don't want a potential conflict of interest. It could cast further doubt on your baseless claims. And you will need someone with at least a passing knowledge of magic, or you'll be even less credible than usual. I know of a bard with some magical experience..."

"Another of your cronies!" The councilwoman protested. "I saw her leaving this hovel just moments ago. She'd say whatever you wanted!"

"And I wouldn't even have to bribe her." Returned Kasuri with a smirk. "Or threaten her with physical violence, though she might not complain if I did..."

"Another of your harlots then?" VanTyne scoffed. "As if you didn't have enough. And now you've infected this place with your filth!"

Sarah opened her mouth to speak, but

"Shut up, you stupid girl!" The councilwoman snapped, barely glancing in Terra's direction. "Your betters are speaking, and a good peasant should know when to be silent."

Things in the small shop instantly became tense. Reeva backed away from her boss, flattening herself against a wall. Terra ground her teeth,placing her hand on the counter and possibly making calculations to vault over it. The thug's hand dropped to the hilt of his sword. Kasuri stepped forward, arms raised in a martial stance, a sneer twisting her face. And the councilwoman turned to face her, both hands now gripping her staff.

"That was..." growled Kasuri.

"I will..." said Vanessa with a wicked grin.

"You stay..." rasped the thug, though he wasn't sure to who.

"You can't..." said Terra, pressing down on the counter.

"Oh no!" moaned Reeva, failing to pass though the wall behind her.

"Councilwoman VanTyne, you WILL treat those in this building with respect." The potential combatants froze when Sarah spoke. She was not a great deal louder than before, but her voice, her words had a power to them that capture everyone's attention. "Now, if you have further business, I would be happy to discuss it with you. If not, I have other customers to attend."

The councilwoman turned toward Sarah, still gripping her walking stick, with her grin fading to a chilly fury. She looked ready to verbally lash out at the mage. However, when she opened her mouth. "That's... I... You..." She made a kind of rattling noise as she failed to force words out. She blink several times staring at Sarah. "What have you done to me?"

"I've asked you several time to be civil in my establishment." Replied Sarah, her own expression now rather cold as opposed to nervous. "And I thank you for complying."

All of the room's occupants were somewhat shocked by Sarah's shift in demeanor, but Terra stood frozen at the counter, her eyes wide. She'd seen her housemate's mood change like this before, though not often. What shocked her specifically was the echoey, ethereal cadence to her companion's voice just now, which she had heard much more regularly. When she cast the 'tell-me' spell as Jix called it. She had felt it's power for for herself on rare occasions and was aware how difficult it was to resist, once it had taken hold. And it seemed she had just cast it on the councilwoman. Oh dear.

VanTyne stood staring at the mage, possibly fuming, though it was quite difficult to tell. Her hands worked. gripping and releasing her walking staff. Her face worked somewhat randomly, as if she was trying and failing to be furious. Finally she spoke in a low whisper. "You... Muh-madam, have done some sort of spell on me. What have you done... If you please?" She finished with gritted teeth.

"Once again, I have merely asked you, a member of the city council, to act in a civil manner, in my establishment." replied Sarah. "Unnecessary, as I'm sure a respectable woman such as yourself wouldn't dream of doing otherwise, but it is important to make one's position clear. Now, do we have any other business today?"

"We...do...not... at this time." returned the councilwoman. "But I'm sure we will... associate again in the future."

"Then I look forward to speaking with you again." replied Sarah. Her delivery was, as usual, deadpan, and it was impossible to gauge her sincerity, but those present all had their suspicions. "A pleasant day to you Councilwoman."


VanTyne's face screwed up for a moment as she tried to calculate a reply. In the end, the best she could manage was: "To you as well." She turned and marched toward the door, throwing a furious glance at her thug as she passed. "Come you...s-sir..." Her own words caused her step to falter for a moment, before she recovered and swept out the door.

The thug blinked, taken aback by her words as well, before giving a confused look to Sarah.

"You are in the building also." said the mage.

The thug blinked again, before nodding and scurrying out.

As the door shut, Sarah took a deep breath, allowing the tension to drain from her body. More than she had realized apparently, as her knees wobbled for a moment. She felt an arm on her shoulder, quickly though as Terra arrived at her side. Sarah did not notice, however, whether or not she had vaulted the counter to get there.

"Got you boss." Terra said, though it seemed unnecessary. She took a moment to make sure the wizard was stable. "That was... something Sarah. Thank you for sticking up for me. But are you sure that was a good idea."

"We shall see." said Sarah. "Something had to be done."

"In my opinion, you handled that masterfully, Sarah." put in Kasuri. "I am impressed. Any complaints from her will mean she will have to admit that she was trying to act... less than civil. And I assume from your wording that the magic will have no effect now that she has left. Well done." Kasuri shifted her feet. "And I must apologize. My presence caused some escalation to the situation."

"On the contrary," returned Sarah, "I am grateful for both your presence and your council. She was going to be a difficulty anyway, I think. This went as well as it was going to."

"I suppose it did." said Kasuri. "Still, there was a threat of violence. I do not know what she intended..."

"I'd have poked her in the eye if she tried anything."

Sarah grinned weakly. "Now that might have been an ill advised course... of..." She blinked, looking around the room. Kasuri and Reeva looked confused. Terra's confusion was present, but the was also a grin creeping onto her face. Because like Sarah, she recognized that disembodied voice. "Well." said Sarah. "You certainly took your sweet time." She raised her eyes to the ceiling entrance to Jix's lair and extended an up turned hand. "Welcome home. We've missed you."

There was a hum and a greenish blur darted downward, circling Sarah twice before lighting in her palm. "It's good to be home!" Jix said. "I've missed you too!" She looked around, taking stock of those present. "Terra, Ms. Hai, uh, dancer... girl..."

"Reeva, Jix." Sarah said with a grin. "Though she is a dancer."

"I don't mind." said Reeva. "I'm usually part of a set anyway. And it has been three months."

"Three months?" Jix said. "No. It's been, what two weeks since I saw you at Moonday? You were tied to that... thing? I may not remember you name, but I remember... uh, other things..."

"Thanks, I think?" Laughed Reeva.

"Wait, wait..." said Terra. "Two weeks!? Jix, it's almost winter. The leaves have fallen."

"Ah. This was a concern." Another green shape drifted down from the ceiling. "Time gets a little... wobbly between planes." Nalcara elaborated. "And First World is especially strange. To us, it was indeed only about two weeks. But it could just have easily gone the other way so I did not bring it up. Suffice it to say, we did our best to hurry." Nalcara hung in the air, looking a touch uncomfortable. "Greetings."

"Welcome." replied Sarah. "Thank you for returning Jix in good condition." She glanced over to her other guests. "Kasuri, Reeva, this is Nalcara. Nalcara, Hai Kasuri and Reeva."

"A pleasure." returned Kasuri with a slight bow. "Well, Reeva, it appears other business has arisen for Ms. Wright so we will take our leave. I'll return tomorrow with the coin for your device Ms. Wright."

"Of course." Sarah replied with a smile, though her eyes had stayed on Jix. "In that case, you may take it now. I thank you again for your assistance today."

"I was glad to be of service." returned Kasuri. "On multiple levels. Jixia, it's good to see you home. I can think of at least one halfling who will be quite glad to hear it."

Reeva followed her boss to the door. She slid the magical hair clip in as she did so, and her outfit shifted to exaggerated adventuring attire. "Bye Sarah, Jix, Terra! Thanks! See you Moonday!"

As the door swung shut behind them, Sarah moved to the counter. "You can close up when ever you like, Terra. I think I'll take the rest of the day off. I can't wait to hear about Jix's planar adventures." She glanced up, as Nalcara shifted in the air, drifting closer to the reunited partners. "Oh. and what are your plans, Nalcara? I'm sure Jix told you, you're welcome to stay as long as you like."

"I don't believe she was quite as sure as you think." replied Nalcara. "But about that..." She looked down at Jix, who seemed to be shrinking slightly under the other fey's gaze.

"Yeah, well... S-sarah, before an-anything else... we need to talk... about stuff." Jix, who had been her brash and effusive self when she had burst into the room, now looked as though she wished to disappear into Sarah's palm.

"Of course, Jix." said Sarah, her brow creasing. "What is it?"

"We went to the other wold and found some of my family." Jix began. "My mother, and three of my brothers, and two sisters. I was so happy to see them, but..." She swallowed. "But they are refugees there. They didn't have anywhere to go. They had to live in a hole. And it's dangerous there! Some of the other fey are mean, and some like to eat sm-smaller ones! I mean, Ma and Uni and Brax, are all right, but the little ones; they don't have swords yet, and Tlipa can barely fly." Jix was getting a little manic as she spoke, though her next words came out barely a whisper. "Then I thought of my lair, and there's lots of room, and it's safe and... and..."

"Oh." said Sarah. "Oh! Goodness Jix, I was afraid you were telling me you were leaving again! Of course they can come here! This is your home! We have more that enough room for six atomie..."

"Uh, seven." said Jix, glancing up at Nalcara.

"Seven then." confirmed Sarah with a smile. "And besides that, I should very much like to meet them."

"Jix's body sagged as she let out a long breath. "I'm... really glad you said that." Jix looked up with a weak grin. Then, before Sarah could respond, she turn to her ceiling lair entrance. "Okay!" Jix shouted with a wave. "She says it's all right!"

Then, with a clatter that was both familiar and much louder than usual as five green shapes of varying sizes descended from the passage in the ceiling. Sarah, at first thought she had miscounted, appearing to be one short until she noticed the lead atomie, who looked very much like Jix, barring the shorter and much less wild hair, was carrying a child in her arms.

"Sarah." Jix began. "This is my Ma-- mother, Althea Bramblehome. Ma, this is my partner Sarah Wright, and our companion, Terra Blackshield. She lives here too."

"I greet you, Sarah Wright, and thank you for allowing us unto your home." Althea said, giving a slight bow.

"Our home, Althea Bramblehome," returned Sarah, with a bow of her own, "and you are most welcome."

12