Nature or Nurture Ch. 40-42

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But now she has moved into an apartment of her own, though still in the Chinese quarter, and still they are usually together. Sometimes it is almost as if they want to take the other's hand, and they walk together a lot, and move like one person, but they are not very obvious about it, and Adison wonders whether they are still a bit shy towards each other, or whether they don't want to embarrass the others with their intimacy.

For it seems clear to her that something is going on between them.

But tonight, Maud seems less than happy, and Bruce is affected, too. Adison can practically feel the hurt radiating from the two of them, and she feels it is her duty to help their good friends.

When they reach their door, she asks both of them, 'You want to come in, tell me about it?'

Maud overflows silently, and Bruce nods, a total change from his usual cheeriness. When they are in the kitchen, Catherine gives all of them a kiss, then walks to her father to have him take her to bed, which he does without a word passing between them.

Mina and Victor seem to be out, they have indeed taken to working evenings in the workshop, with Victor manning the practice in the afternoon and Adison in the morning, Victor can sleep late and he does, matching his schedule to Mina's to be together more often.

Adison makes a cup of tea for everyone, including Vincent, and then she sits with her friends and says, 'Tell me about it.'

By now, Maud is very upset, and Bruce holds her in his arms, see, there is something going on, and he tells Adison, 'We are in love, have been for some months now, and we want to marry, but my parents do not want to consent, though they like Maud, but she is not Chinese.

And her parents do not want to consent either, though they have never spent much time with her, she was raised by her grandmother because they were always at work in a factory. Her grandmother approves, she wants Maud to marry whom she loves, but her parents don't want her to marry a Chinese man.

I'm twenty-one, but Maud is still twenty, and though she will be twenty-one in just three months, it still feels wrong to marry without our parents' consent. You know how important my family is to me, I do not want to fail them, but I love Maud and I want to marry her.'

Of course that was to be expected, marriages between separate groups were rare, but his parents should understand that a man like Bruce is not going to be traditional about love. And it sounded as if Maud had her most important family member on her side.

'Have you talked to master Man about this?' Adison asks.

Bruce bows his head and admits, 'I have not. I'm afraid he will see things my parents' way, and throw me out of our quarter. Frankly, I don't know if I can live anywhere else, I like acting, I like poetry and talking English, but when all's said and done, I'm still Chinese.

But Maud only looks English, in her heart she is as Chinese as I am. She loves the community, she is learning the language, she is adapting. She cannot live as an outcast either.'

'I feel for both of you, I have seen you bloom since your move, Maud. You are clearly very happy there. And I've suspected there was something between you for some time now. Somehow I think master Man will be understanding, though I don't know him better than you of course, Bruce.

But I truly believe he may be willing to help you.

If he backs you up, will you be all right?'

'Yes, if he can talk my parents into accepting Maud, I'm certain the community will follow, and that is good enough for you, isn't it?'

She looks at him, the infatuation now clearly visible.

'My parents were never there for me, and my grandma agrees. If your parents are willing to accept me as their daughter-in-law instead of their adopted daughter, I will be perfectly happy.

It is very hurtful to me that they treated me like their own daughter, but when Bruce asked permission to marry me they didn't want me anymore. I love them.

If they cannot be convinced we will be separated forever, I will have to stay single and he will have to marry whomever his parents choose for him. We will all be unhappy.'

By now, Vincent has come back to the kitchen, and he has heard at least half of the conversation. He clearly feels for his friends, and he supports Adison that master Man is their best choice for an ally. Somehow, the old master seems a lot more flexible than the people who look up to him.

Though they cannot do more for their friends than listen to their story and show their sympathy, it is nonetheless a relief for the young couple to share their pain.

With a good ending not at all certain, Adison still wants them to know she at least approves of their attachment, and she tries to express that as tactfully as she can, which both appreciate despite the circumstances. They are a very cute couple, and Adison thinks they have every chance to be happy together, despite their totally different backgrounds.

Somewhat heartened, the two leave for their homes together, and Vincent and Adison stay behind, just the two of them, and they look at each other and decide not to talk about the events of the day straight away.

First, they are going to try the new boiler!

They grab a couple of towels from the bedroom, and kiss passionately, then lose their clothes. Leaving the door open in case Catherine wakes up, they walk down the hall, still kissing and fondling each other, towards the bathroom.

Once there, the new boiler is indeed lit, and they open the taps to the bath, letting steaming hot water run in, and the one for the cold water as well, filling the tub quickly with nice warm water, ready to use. When the hot water runs out, they close the taps and let new water into the boiler as Paul has shown them.

Then they enter the water and enjoy themselves kissing and stroking, until they quiet down a little and start some serious intimacies. But somehow it doesn't feel right to leave Catherine all alone in the bedroom, she is fast asleep and they haven't a clue what those ladies can do with their magic. Somehow, the moment is spoiled, and they dry off and drain the bath, then go straight to their bedroom.

Everything is dark and quiet, and Catherine is fast asleep in her own little bed, close to their huge four-poster.

But the heat they worked up in the bath is not completely gone, and they continue their ministrations on the bed, under the blankets since it is getting quite cold in the house, it's October after all.

Vincent is feeling the heat in him rise, they make love very regularly, but tonight he feels a certain tension in himself that usually means the beast is on the prowl. He knows Adison loves him that way, and he has long since accepted that side of him.

To prepare his beloved for what may be coming, he lets his control go just a tiny bit, and he can feel the difference clearly. His posture changes, and his sense of smell intensifies, he wants to taste Adison everywhere, and he licks her and even takes a nibble here and there.

She knows by now, and it turns her on immensely to feel his power grow slowly but surely. She is almost ready to help him to let it out, but first he wants to make sure her heat is up enough to enjoy the rough loving of the creature.

A few minutes of expert attention bring her to an ever higher level of passion, and her first releases, and when she is at the peak of her fervour, she kisses him greedily and strokes the scar on his temple with a fearless hand, ready to receive the wild creature she has loved since she first saw him, the night he was born.

And then he is there with her, yellow eyes shooting fire, his breath hot and all his veins pulsating, his scent intense and heady, and Adison wonders whether he is really the same person as the gentle, soft-spoken man she loves so much.

It feels as if she has not met this man for some time, as if he is someone else, someone she loves as much, but very differently. This creature she doesn't talk to, she strokes him with heat, and she grabs his neck and hair, and yes, she gives herself up to him as if he has a right to rule her, which he does by his very nature.

And then he connects their bodies, very firmly, and heat fills her, but she can still see his eyes look at her with intense love, and those eyes give him away, he is the same man, those are the same eyes, but in a way this is the essence of him, and then her thoughts are silenced by a feeling of total bliss, and their sounds of ecstasy mingle to become one, until they both arch and cry out, then collapse.

Still they do not speak, for the creature is still here with her, a rare occurrence and one she is not going to spoil with talk. He lies beside her, still breathing a little fast, eyes watching her, as they did that first time, when neither of them had yet felt passion, but both felt intense love.

She strokes him, as she did then, and he shivers under her gentle touch, his dominance gone. How can Vincent ever have feared this side of him? It is so endearing, so pure.

Eyes still on her, he nestles in her embrace, fighting sleep now, and this image brings back their first moments so forcefully, that she nearly cries with joy. She rests her head against his, and when she thinks he is already fast asleep, when she is close to sleep herself, she hears the husky voice say, 'I love you.'

And then her eyes do fill with tears, but tears of gratitude, that she has been so fortunate to have this man delivered right into her arms, for her to love and to live with. He is asleep by now, and she holds his warm, solid body against her own, and slowly falls asleep herself.

Chapter 41

The next morning, she is met by Vincent's clear baritone wishing her a good wedding day, but in his eyes she can see he remembers every second of their loving. With a cry of feeling she falls on his broad, scarred chest, careful of the fresh scar that may still be painful.

He holds her as she held him yesterday, and they lie together until a small voice wishes them a good morning.

Vincent invites Catherine in their bed, and she climbs in and sits on his other side.

'You do heal fast,' she remarks, touching the fresh scar lightly.

'And how's the burn?' her father asks, 'You are not going to follow my bad example, are you? Getting hurt all the time, collecting scars?'

'Spare me,' Adison says dryly, 'one hopeless case who insists on catching weapons with his chest is bad enough. A forewarned toddler is hopefully a forearmed one.'

'It's fine,' Catherine replies, 'and I'm not going to get hurt again, now I know what the light inside people means, I will see them coming, and I'm going to hide. That is easy for me you know, since I am so very tiny.'

But today, they do not think of threats and hurts for long, today Vincent and Adison are getting married. Catherine is in a flutter, she will be going with them to church in her prettiest dress. Adison is a bit sad that Victor and Mina will not be with them, it is just impossible to get married at a time that Mina can be outside.

And anyway, Mina would feel quite uncomfortable in church, which the others completely understand. In fact, Adison would have preferred not to get wed in a church either, but it is impossible to get married without doing so, so there is not much help for it.

But Victor and Mina will of course join the party tonight, and anyway, marriage is not that important to Adison, nor to Vincent. They were destined to be together, married or otherwise.

The nearest church is actually quite a picturesque one, rather small and traditionally built, with a tall stone wall around it, overgrown with ivy on the outside, but meticulously kept on the inside.

The tiny garden surrounding the building is very old-fashioned, with pampered rose-bushes, and a rambling little path with stone seats. Of course it looks a bit dreary now, with all the plants bared of leaves, but Adison can see it is a tiny bit of heaven in summer, and it is certainly a haven of peace in the busy town.

The building itself is made of rough natural stone, with tall burned-glass windows, colouring the white-washed walls inside the church red, blue and green.

Before a rough stone altar, with Catherine looking on reverently, Adison and Vincent are married by the parish priest, a friendly older man in an impressive robe of office. When the ceremony is complete, they kiss, and then Catherine congratulates them, forgetting her status as toddler for a few moments.

They are outside again within half an hour, and celebrate together in a coffee house, and this time Catherine enjoys an enormous slice of pie, since Vincent and Adison do likewise, though Adison and herself drink tea with their pie, not coffee.

They finally talk about the revelations of the day before, how it seems as if everything they have experienced with the so called enemy is connected to the existence of magic. Vincent cannot remember having seen Cathy use magic, ever, but of course he doesn't remember much, just a few flashes.

He vaguely remembers using magic himself as Heathcliff, but connected to inflicting pain, and in a very small way, not as if he had a stash of power that he could consciously use. He'll have to ask Paul, or someone else acquainted with magic, it may be important.

Catherine wants to know what Vincent remembers of Cathy, and the funny thing is, that she talks about her natural mother by her first name, she does not call her mother, it seems that is now Adison's right. Of course Adison can't help being pleased by that, everybody knows the stories of horrid step-mums, and step-children who idealize their deceased mother, but Catherine is so willing to accept Adison in her life.

Vincent really wants to know more about magic, and is eager to take the old boiler to the craftsmaster to be able to ask some questions. Adison is stuck on the idea of having hot water in their practice, so she really wants to come, and she mentions the swords, thinking of the playwright yesterday and his fencing friend.

'They'll be glad to have it delivered,' she surmises, 'they'd have to hire at least two extra men to lift that beast.'

'Victor suggested I might ask Bruce who has a cart for hire in his community,' Vincent offers, 'I think that is a capital idea. Why don't we visit straight away, I'm sure master Man will want to meet Catherine while we're there.'

And since Catherine is very curious to meet a real Chinese master, the one who has taught Adison magic instinctively, they finish their feast and walk towards the Chinese quarter.

Catherine's two year old body cannot walk that far, and when she gets tired Vincent carries her, the three of them a happy family, despite a drizzling October rain.

Bruce is at home, with Maud actually, they are reading together, something Bruce really enjoys and Maud has learned to appreciate. Originally a working-class girl, she is developing fast, and Adison has seen her acting skills improve along with her expanding interests, though she could not yet hold her own amongst the crowd that Vincent will soon move to.

Bruce immediately agrees with the scheme, in fact he offers to hire his father's cart and little mule for a minor fee. Vincent is glad to include him in the trip, for if he is to test a weapon, it is best to have a worthy opponent. Adison can fence a little, but not enough to really put pressure on Vincent, or on a weapon.

'And I'm in the market for a superior sword,' Bruce says, 'the weapon I practise with is not good enough if I want to try to approach your skills, Vincent.'

In the meantime, Maud enjoys playing with Catherine, she is clearly very fond of children, and though she is not in on the secret, Catherine does not mind playing the toddler with this sweet young woman.

Maud seems much happier to Adison, and Bruce is his usual self, positive and good humoured.

Without having to ask, Bruce tells her they have visited master Man this very morning, and were received well: master Man has promised to talk to Bruce's parents and try to convince them to allow their son to marry an English girl. Maud fits into their community perfectly, and Bruce has always been different, they can hardly expect him to change all of a sudden.

Whilst their community thrives by following traditions, there is an outside world and it's changing rapidly every day in these times of progress. Bruce's interest in this strange and, to most members of the community, frightening world, and his connection to an English woman, will help the community to stay abreast of all the developments, Maud and himself can be the link between the old and the new.

Hearing this makes Adison very happy, she knew master Man would be reasonable, it wouldn't do to force Bruce to marry against his feelings, he is very useful to their community as he is.

They arrange to deliver the boiler late the next morning, and head towards the community centre, where master Man, of course, is not surprised by their sudden appearance. He is very glad to see especially Adison, since Catherine arrived they have been busy and they have neglected to visit, but master Man does not reproach her at all.

After greeting Adison, and Vincent, the old Chinese master greets Catherine as if she is an adult. 'My dear child, I am happy to finally meet you. I've suspected your existence for a long time, and I'm glad everything turned out well.'

Of course Catherine doesn't need to concentrate to see magic in him, and his is the brightest inner light she has seen so far. This man is a proficient magic-user, no matter what he calls it himself.

'You have a strong gift, my child,' the old master tells her, 'although it has not awakened yet. But that may happen sooner than it usually does, it will be a good thing if you find guidance.'

Adison tells him what they have learned about magic, and the poor old man seems totally distraught.

To have the powers he thought were gifts of his gods explained by an innate talent that can be controlled and developed, is quite a shock. But he is not a master for nothing, he recovers quickly and promises to discuss everything they have told him with the other elders. He pleads them to include Bruce in any instruction they receive, as his intermediary, and this is of course no problem for them, Bruce is already part of their inner circle.

They find that master Man actually applauds Bruce's intent to marry an English girl, apparently the elders greatly appreciate his involvement in the world outside, realizing its importance to their staying informed about it and connected to it.

Adison suspects that the elders have total control over their community, and however much she herself would dislike that, in this case it will suit Bruce very well, for his parents will certainly relent and accept Maud into the family willingly if the elders say that is the best thing to do.

They talk for another half hour, and then return home, where Mina and Victor congratulate them and give them a beautiful new suit and a lovely dress to wear to the party that night. Adison wouldn't know what to buy for herself, but with Victor and Mina choosing, she is certain she will look like a princess.

The party that evening is the best ever, with all their friends, in the theatre they love, they will be sure to return here often, to watch the new show and to see all their friends.

Of course they don't feel any different for being married, but all in all Adison is pleased to have Vincent officially hers, and she looks forward to introducing him to her father, two weeks from now.

The next day Bruce drives up with a sturdy cart pulled by a little mule. Maud is with him, to stay with Catherine. They have decided to let her in on Catherine's secret, too, for if she is marrying Bruce she will become part of their circle and they cannot keep her in the dark. So that is what Catherine will be doing this morning, though she is a bit disappointed to miss out on a chance to meet that nice guy once more.