Nature or Nurture Ch. 40-42

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She has contemplated throwing a tantrum when she found out she could not come on the trip to take away the old boiler and they weren't even going to tell her why not, but somehow that seemed a little childish.

But watching Maud's face as Catherine recites some Shakespeare will be fun, too, and maybe they can play with the farm animals as well, Maud will not use that against her, she's too sweet for that. She's certain Victor will tease her heartlessly if he finds out she still likes to play with toys.

And she's also certain that nice guy, Lukas, would never make fun of her. Let's hope they want the rest of the boiler system installed, then maybe she'll see him again.

It is quite a trek to the craftmaster's house, straight through the city, into another middle class neighbourhood, and a very pretty one.

A lot of people would call this neighbourhood run down, but to Vincent and Adison the houses are large and beautiful, though some definitely can use some upkeep, and the streets are lined with beautiful old trees, something their own neighbourhood lacks.

Paul's house certainly doesn't lack care, it is in perfect condition, and the beautiful dragon-shaped door knocker gives them a good idea of what they will find inside.

But of course the truth far exceeds their expectations.

As they knock on the door, it is opened by the smaller guy, Lukas, and Vincent points at the boiler on the cart outside.

'We thought we might bring the boiler as well, I suppose you'll need help to lift that brute inside.'

As soon as Lukas and the taller guy, Paul, have decided where to put the beast, they help him lift the monster inside.

Of course they notice straight away their help is not needed, Vincent can lift it on his own without problem, since he has slung carrying straps around it, but it looks better if they carry it together, no-one will ever forget the sight of one man lifting such a massive metal object on his own.

As they take the monster inside, Bruce stays back with the cart, wondering whether it is safe for the little mule to tie it to the fence for an hour or so.

But before he has it unhitched, one of the guys returns and offers to put the mule in the backyard to graze in safety for some time. That is a magnificent idea, and Bruce is glad this man recognizes a Chinese cart-driver as human, all too often people just ignore him.

In an excellent mood suddenly, he grins and offers the guy his hand.

'Hi, I'm Bruce. I'm glad you can put up the mule, for I'm not going to let Vincent try out a whole new kind of sword all by himself, but I cannot let the mule wander either, my dad would kill me. Or try to.'

Of course a stranger will not understand the humour in that last statement, but this fellow, Lukas is his name, will soon find out that Bruce takes some killing.

He follows Lukas inside to the basement, where there are so many wonders to see that he is really surprised that Vincent can ignore everything around him to concentrate on something the other guy is showing him.

Adison is certainly looking her fill, and Bruce follows her example. They are in a large space, the entire basement of the house, with walls of red brick, and columns of the same materials supporting the house that stands on top.

There is a large work-bench over one whole side of the space, and the others are largely occupied by wooden cabinets, like the one in the practice, only well worn and obviously used to store parts instead of pills. Tools are hung on hooks on the wall behind the work-bench, and a furnace takes up a lot of space against the outside wall.

Though it is rather cold outside, the inside of this space is comfortably warm, and the basement smells of smoke and a penetrating odour which is probably heated metal.

But though this is clearly a workshop, it also looks like something out of a fantasy, for there are copper and bronze creations everywhere. Boilers, engines, fountains, ornaments, anything made of metal, it is here, in various stages of development. Cogs and wheels too, though neatly stacked, not cluttered.

When Vincent calls his name, Bruce finds it hard to pull his attention away from the workshop, but he realizes Vincent wants him to look at the swords, and in his voice Bruce can hear excitement, so he walks over.

Minding his manners, Bruce first shakes hands with the other guy, Paul, and the gorgeous lady, Melissa. Then Vincent hands him one of the blades, with a distinct glint in his eye.

Bruce's first impression is that it is beautiful, very much so. It has the shape of a saber, but with a little more breadth, a sturdy weapon, but still incredibly elegant, slim and beautifully decorated with, of course, dragons.

It is clearly steel, very bright, and without the folding that the best steel swords have. The edge is very keen indeed, and the quality of the steel seems very regular throughout the blade, as with one that has been worked for a very long time to get rid of the impurities, though the folds that result from that process are absent.

Now Bruce lifts it, and he knows that his eyes show the same glint as Vincent's. The balance of this blade is unique, slightly different from any blade he has ever handled, and his trained body immediately tells him this is superior.

Taking a little space and careful of people and works of art, he moves it around, and that is the moment that Vincent observes to their host, 'I've felt free to invite a friend, for if we're to try these weapons it is best to have a real opponent. Do you have a space that is a bit higher, maybe?'

Everyone looks up, Bruce as well, it is not that low a ceiling, but there are creations everywhere in this space. Vincent must be planning to go all-out on him, and that realization gives him a buzz of excitement, that is some time ago, with blades. Bruce knows he cannot beat Vincent anymore, not unarmed, and certainly not with a blade.

But he also trusts his own skill to keep himself safe, though he is much less strong, and less skilled with a blade, Bruce is still at least as fast as his sparring partner, so he will give him some opposition. With these perfectly balanced swords, it will be a fight worth looking at.

Paul offers, 'We can use our living-room, it is very high. We'll move some furniture.'

He is looking forward very much to watching a nice fight, that much is clear, his eyes sparkle and he even smiles.

As they walk up a flight of stairs, Adison observes, 'The boiler is working perfectly, Paul, and Lukas of course. And I am under orders of Victor to ask what one of those vehicles you used will cost him, bicycles he says they are called. You'll want one too, Vincent, it's a long way to St James', and it would pay itself back within six months. Wait until you see it.'

Bruce wonders what a bicycle is, they must be good business, for it clearly pleases their host that Adison and Victor want one really badly.

'You'll get the chance to try one later, most people do like it.'

By now they've reached his apartment, and all three of their hosts look expectant, so Bruce really wonders what it will be like, it cannot be that impressive in a house like this.

But as Paul opens the door and they file in onto a landing of cast iron instead of into a narrow hall as he expects, he realizes this living-room is two stories high. Not the perfect place to spar, that would be an old factory, not a living-room with wood panelling and valuable furniture, but better than Vincent's basement.

As he looks around, Bruce is stunned to find the place magnificent, everything is made to perfection, highly ornamented but in excellent taste, and of the best quality materials. But he has little patience for beauties, he wants to try this sword that lies in his hand as if it's grown there, he pleads all his gods to not have it fall apart after a few blows.

Their hosts are pushing the furniture to the lower ceilinged sides of the room, and Bruce reluctantly puts the sword down on a Persian rug, and joins Vincent in a warming up. No sense in straining a muscle for being too hasty to prepare well.

After five minutes they feel they are warm enough, and the furniture is safe. They look around to form an image of how far they can extend their weapons, and Bruce how far he can jump without risking damage to the interior, he even eyes the Gothic chandelier, it wouldn't be polite to use it, but Bruce has to admit he is tempted.

Vincent takes the greeting stance, and Bruce mirrors it, also a mixture between English fencing and martial arts, of their own devising.

Without warning, Vincent lunges with his weapon, a lightning strike, but of course Bruce is way ahead of him, he used to be the best fighter in town after all. Avoiding a first strike to his weapon, he jumps backward, and he can see his spectators relish his unexpected move.

No more gawking at anything, Vincent is the target now, and if the swords fail, they will. Bruce strikes even faster, meeting a solid block, steel striking steel with a beautiful ringing sound.

Concentrated on his opponent, everything but Vincent disappears from his notice, he will need all his skills to prevent from being hit, and maybe, just maybe, to get a hit in himself.

The following exchange of blows is so incredibly fast that the fighters seem to blur, the swords striking one another time and time again, each strike narrowly missing the one it is aiming for.

Bruce suspects Vincent is pulling blows a little, he is at full speed and full skill, but he is so immensely strong that the hit Bruce just took on his sword would have left his sword-arm paralysed if it had been all-out.

He does not feel insulted by this, without protective clothing Vincent would be certain to hurt Bruce if he used all his force, no-one can fight the supernatural. But there is one thing in which he can still best Vincent every time, and that is acrobatics.

The next swing his way, Bruce evades with a backflip, reaching incredible heights, and Vincent closes with him with a similar jump. Swords clash, and Bruce reaches the stairs easily, with Vincent following, but lower.

A series of jumps leaves his taller and much heavier opponent fighting for breath, and after another half hour of intense fighting and jumping they greet and immediately check the swords for damage, Paul and Lukas closing in curiously.

There is none at all, not even a scratch, the blades are still keen enough to split a hair.

'That was great fun, Bruce,' Vincent observes, 'we should spar more often.'

That's easy for Vincent to say, he's not risking his very life crossing blades with a demon.

'I'm sure you think so, friend,' Bruce replies, 'but to me this is getting hard work. You're better than me, if this was for real I'd be a dead man. You're holding back.'

Vincent acknowledges it with a slight bow, as Bruce continues, 'I wonder if I can still beat you unarmed, I hope so, but I have little chance. I fear. Though every master wants one pupil to eclipse him, and you're mine.'

'Thank you, Bruce, praise from one's master is praise indeed,' Vincent says with the modesty of a student talking to his master.

Then he observes, 'This sword, it is unmatched. How was yours?'

Bruce wants to cry out that it is the best sword he's ever held and that he wants it at any cost, but if he admits that, it may drive up the price and he'll not be able to afford it. He doesn't make that much at the theatre, and some of that goes to his parents.

So he says, 'Outstanding, I've never held a better either, the balance is somehow different, and it is lighter than usual. You told me it is steel, craftsmaster, but it isn't folded, how did you make it so uniform of quality then?'

Paul answers proudly, 'I've found a way to make steel in small quantities, and it has more regularity inside than the usual steel that blades are made of. It will keep the edge longer and it won't break.'

He is right to be proud of that, and Bruce can see that Vincent is impressed, but his friend observes, 'I can easily believe this steel is of a high quality, but the main question is, how did you know how to balance a sword so well? It's balanced just a tiny bit differently, I've never held a blade that suits my particular style of fencing so well.'

Paul shares his trade-secret freely.

'I designed it together with a swordsman, also a smith, who uses a style much like yours.'

'Well, one thing is certain, and that is that I want this sword, and I want one for Victor as well.'

'Well, you're not going to buy this one,' Bruce says, 'for this one is mine. I'm not letting go of it.'

Vincent thinks for a moment.

'All right then, what if I buy this one, and order one extra, slightly longer and slightly heavier, I'd like that even better, I think. How long would that take to make?'

After a slight pause, Paul replies, 'I guess I can have it ready in a week, unless you want specific ornamentation.'

Vincent shakes his head, and states, 'I would prefer to have it as unmarked as possible. I've had to leave a blade on the scene of a fight once, and I wouldn't want to lead anyone to your business with difficult questions.'

Paul doesn't even twitch, Bruce supposes he has had some dealings with trouble as well, and confirms, 'One week it is, then.'

'Done, I'll have this one and another one made to size. I'll pay what you ask, this sword is worth it.'

Vincent can afford any sword he likes, he has a better salary than Bruce, being the lead player, and Adison also has a fine career. But Bruce needs to consider his finances.

So he interjects, 'But I want to know how much it will set me back, I am not the lead player of the company, I've only a tiny salary.'

Paul's smile heartens him, apparently the craftsmaster knows he's going to like the price, and the amount he mentions is indeed almost ridiculously low for a steel sword of such beauty. Bruce cannot keep his relief from showing on his face, but now Vincent protests.

'That is way too cheap for such quality! I know Bruce has a family to keep, but I'm not going to let you murder your own business. You need to ask at least double that, that is the normal price for a sword of such pure steel.'

But Paul explains.

'We will make money on the swords, Vincent, don't worry. Besides, you have already brought me some good business, buying a boiler.

The doctor has given me a lot of good bronze at a very friendly price, and you have saved me the hire of a few strong men to take it inside.

Plus, I'm going to let you try a bicycle later, and you will want one, and those are a lot of work and they will cost you very, very dearly. So please take the swords for the price I ask. Throw in a set of free tickets to your show to relieve your conscience.'

Well, now Vincent doesn't seem to feel like a thief anymore, and he asks how many tickets the craftsmaster wants. They agree on a date for the tickets, and Paul promises faithfully to raise the price for his next swords to at least the usual.

But Bruce will have his sword for a price he can afford, because his friends have bought a boiler. And will they truly buy an expensive bicycle, whatever it is? He is starting to get curious about it, there are such unusual things in this beautiful house.

Business concluded, they get a tour of the boiler system, starting in a tiny cellar with a large boiler that can be stoked. Adison sees the resemblance to their own new boiler, but theirs is heating their bathroom quite a lot and this room is downright cold, how can that be? She asks, and Paul admits to keeping the room cold with magic.

'But isn't that dangerous, keeping the heat trapped in the boiler, couldn't it get too hot and explode?'

Now he looks as if he is impressed with that insight, and he explains how the boiler has a vent that will prevent overpressure, getting rid of dangerous heat outside, in summer, or into the workshop in winter.

That sounds logical, in winter the heat is welcome in the workshop, where they spend a lot of their time.

They proceeded to the kitchen, admiring the beautifully ornamented boiler with the tap for hot water, then to the bathroom. Adison is very much impressed by its opulence, it has a larger bath even than their own, made of bronze and again, beautifully ornamented.

The walls are covered in mosaic, entire landscapes from what seems to be ancient Greece, complete with a naked and rather excited satyr, endowed with a sizeable man-part. Rather indecent, but very beautiful.

Adison doesn't mind the satyr, but Bruce seems a bit shocked, of course he is from an even more restrictive culture, and he may still be very inexperienced in these matters.

The bedroom is one floor up, beautiful but a lot more subtle than the rest of the house, muted whites with texture rather than ornamentation. It is heated by the pipe running through it, and that gives a very comfortable, odourless heat. Paul explains that in summer, he puts a spell on the piping to keep the heat in the pipes, saving fuel and keeping the room cooler.

Another stairs up is a shower, and the pipes are spelled to keep this floor cool, since it is not used at this moment. Though the initial cost of this heating system is substantial, it saves a lot on fuel but also on time, for one only needs to stoke the one boiler, and one furnace for cooking. Of course Adison thinks that if she ever learns to master magic, she will put spells on their own pipes as well, saving even more fuel.

Having seen everything there is to see inside, they go out into the street, and Melissa and Lukas demonstrate the bicycles. Bruce has never seen one, but he immediately sees the use of the contraption.

They all try one, and of course Vincent and Bruce manage right away, they are both athletes after all. Adison is having trouble, not because she is clumsy, but she is just a bit too small to use one of these bicycles easily. She does manage, though, with some help, and she really wants one.

'It has given me total freedom,' Melissa says, 'I ride it all over town to inspection sites, even totally by myself.'

'Aren't you afraid to be waylaid?' Vincent asks, observing her very feminine figure on the bicycle, 'there are a lot of neighbourhoods where a lady on her own would be harassed even on foot.'

'I may not be a sword-fighter like you two, but I can defend myself quite readily,' Melissa simply answers.

'Let me guess,' Vincent says mildly, 'you use magic. Am I right?'

She nods.

'I can stun even you in an instant, and without sight you wouldn't see it coming.'

'But Adison would?'

Melissa nods, and adds. 'You have talent, though your body is taking all the power, but you may have sight as well. We can help you test it, we'll show you some magic once we're back inside, not out in the open. There is much to tell you, if you want to be safe from magic-users, maybe too much, seeing how busy you are already.'

Of course that is true, Adison has her days well-filled, and so have the others, but this is very important, so they will have to make time for it, it is not for fun, this is a matter of life and death.

When the bicycles are put back into the shed, they go back into the workshop, where Melissa demonstrates the fireball once more.

Vincent can see her use the magic, and so can Bruce. On Lukas' advice they look at each other, and they can see their talent, just as any enemy mage can see it.

After that, they drink coffee, with chocolates, a treat they have never thought of buying for themselves, but that will certainly change. Adison takes tea, of course, but she enjoys the chocolates nonetheless.

They talk magic for almost an hour, and arrange to exchange lessons, magic for fencing. Paul measures Vincent for his sword, a very exciting idea to her brand new husband, to have a really superior weapon.