Neighbors During the Virus Scare Ch. 01

Story Info
Neighbors meet during the virus scare.
4.9k words
4.57
9.7k
15
6

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 04/02/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is written off the cuff as the virus scare continues to plague the world. It will continue somewhat based somewhat on what is going on and what the characters find themselves dealing with. It is not an end of world apocalypse story.

All participants are at least eighteen years of age. Right now this story is in romance but may end up crossing over into other categories as it goes along. If it's not your thing, move along there is plenty to read that maybe your thing.

*****

I had just left First Class Outfitters on the verge of tears after trying to purchase my first handgun. I'd never owned a gun as an adult. My father being Air Force, he had made sure all of us kids grew up respecting guns, we were taught safe handling and shooting. I'd been on the phone with my dad last night talking about what all was going on with the threat of the virus. Dad believed the threat of unemployed people and food possibly becoming scare, could be a problem if it was prolonged.

"People are already losing their minds over shit tickets Maddy," dad had said. My whole life he'd called toilet paper shit tickets.

I was off work as it stood till at least mid-April, as all of us teachers were out with no students, third grade was on hold for me and my students along with the whole school. Dad again had his grumblings about me leaving Las Vegas and moving to Texas to teach as usual. Dad had told me that during what could become turbulent times, I should invest in a firearm since it was probably not safe to try and drive or especially fly home right now and having no family in the area.

The salesman at First Class had treated me exceptionally poor, like I was a fool at best. He seemed to go out of his way to talk down to me, I'm not sure if it was due to being a first-time buyer, a woman or both.

Pulling into my carport I noticed my neighbor sitting out under his carport as usual most afternoons when he came home from work. We'd never actually spoken, since I'd moved in two months ago, but he was cute as hell and always waved when he saw me with a big smile. Just what I needed the hot guy next door to see me crying.

I sat wiping the few tears that had escaped looking down, when I looked up, he was standing at the edge of his carport looking at me. Our houses were only about fifty or so feet apart, so he had a good view. I straightened myself and tried to get out chin up.

I'd pretty much succeeded when he asked, "Madeline are you ok?"

I nodded I was, but accidentally dropped my keys and tears burst forth, I guess my dropping the keys broke the damn I'd been trying to hold in. He stepped forward but stopped,

"I'm sorry Madeline. Is there anything I can do to help?"

That made break completely into sobs, no I wasn't ok, but I couldn't say it. I was in full blown tears when I felt strong arms pull me to him. "Let it out," he said, "let it all out, you are ok right now."

I dropped my purse and just caved into his hug. God, he felt so strong and solid. I managed to pull myself somewhat together after a minute or two of being held and my hair gently stoked. I finally broke the hug. "I'm sorry," he said.

Wiping my eyes, "what for," I sniffled?

"I'm sorry for whatever has upset you and I had no right to just grab you. I... just did not know what else to do to help."

I could see the sincerity in his eyes. God they were a rich brown like someone mixed cinnamon and honey together. "Don't be sorry, you didn't do anything, and I do appreciate you letting me mess up your shirt with my tears," I said trying to smile.

He looked down and chuckled, "What's a little makeup on a t-shirt? Care to get off your chest what has you upset? I got two ears and they both hear pretty good," he said with a smile.

"I'm just being silly I guess."

"Nonsense, nobody ever sheds tears because they are being silly. Tears are because someone hurt them or upset them usually. Offer stands I have a fresh picture of tea and an extra chair."

"Oh I should not bother you, I don't even know your name," I laughed wiping my face.

"Travis, he said extending his hand." It was so large, rough and strong but so tender at the same time.

"Madeline," I said, "but you knew that. How?"

"I have two good ears," he said with that heart-warming smile. "I've heard you on the phone, you answer it saying this is Madeline."

I laughed, "I guess I do. You can call me Maddy my friends do."

"Well Maddy, if you wish to talk or just sit and not talk, come on over," he said and headed back to his carport after bending down getting my keys and purse for me.

I made it in the house now smiling, the hot guy next door had to be around forty so my age. He had the sexiest voice, like that guy from the beer commercials with the mountains to go with those large arms. I'd seen him sleeveless; I'd been out once when he ran in the morning wearing a muscle shirt. My god his eyes though, my mom called them bedroom eyes, you look into them and think just take me to the bedroom. He felt solid for a guy who work a blazer and button up, his hands like those of someone who worked outdoors.

I put up a few items that I had left on the counter from shopping earlier, before heading to the 'asshole barn,' that was what I was calling First Class Outfitters from now on. My mind was on him as I changed debating on accepting his invitation. I had a couple beers in the fridge maybe he'd want one. A quick peek out the kitchen window, yeah, he was sitting there in his rocking patio chair.

'Ok Maddy get ahold of yourself and just take two beers over. He seems genuinely nice, not like your ex,' I thought to myself.

"Hey Travis," I said going over.

"Well hey there back Maddy, he said standing up as I came under the carport."

"I found a couple beers in the fridge, thought you might like one," I sat down offering him one, then he sat down. That gesture may have been lost on others but not me, he was a gentleman.

"Well now how did you know my favorite kind of beer?"

"Oh really?"

He grinned, "Yes ma'am free and cold," then let out that warm laugh of his.

"Oh you are silly," I said smiling so hard my face hurt. "You mind I asked handing him mine" He twisted the cap off and handed it back to me.

"To new friends," he leaned his bottle against mine.

"New friends."

"So may I ask what had such pretty green eyes full of alligator tears?"

I sighed, "I tried to buy a handgun today, but the guy was a jerk at the store."

"Oh sorry to hear that, you should go to Fist Class they are really good there," he said.

"Asshole barn," I said.

"Huh?"

"That is where I went, so I started calling it "Asshole Barn."

"No kidding? They treated you bad?"

I nodded.

"What are you trying to buy?"

"My dad told me to go, said they would let me handle a few normally then I could decide. The guy was a total jerk. Maybe because it's my first gun or I'm a woman or something. My friend has a Glock, she said they are nice, so I was wanting to look at them."

"Be right back," he said standing up and going inside.

Coming back he had a thick case, spun the combination locks and opened it up. "Here are some of the most common Glocks he said. You looking for home only, or maybe getting a permit and carrying it?"

"Could I carry in my purse."

"Well I'd get a purse designed for carry and they do make a nice selection. Well I suppose most them would look good with my shoes," he said holding up a massive boot and dying laughing which made me laugh.

"Here, let me clear this one and see how it fits you, that's a 17."

"I handled it a bit, seems a little long on the top for me," I said.

"That one is too small," I said pointing at one. "Story of my life," he said chuckling a bit.

I play smacked his arm, "Silly."

"That is a 26, here try this it's a 19."

I handled it a bit. "I like this one better, but I like the handle on the first one better.

"Ok so the grip is too short on the 19," he stood up, raised his shirt a bit and took a gun from inside his pants. I 'd never even noticed he had one. "Here this is a 19X. It has the grip of the 17," he pointed at the first one he'd showed me, "and the slide of the 19, the second one. This is my favorite."

He cleared it and handed it to me. "Oh I like this, but it's brown."

"Yeah all the 19X's are brown. You could have it cerakote any color at some point for a few bucks. I assume you are wanting it now with all the goings on? I nodded. "So what did the asshole look like that treated you awful?"

I described the guy. "Huh... That's Charlie he's kinda new there. So you still wanting a gun?"

"Yes."

"Well I noticed you handled them pretty well, you have shot before haven't you."

"Yeah my daddy is retired from the Air Force he made sure us kids knew how to properly handle and shoot pistols and rifles. He taught my daughter too"

"Well now, that is a good dad for sure. You thinking the 19X?"

"Yeah I like the feel of it."

"Well they run $629.99 new."

"Wow! Well, it is an investment, and I feel comfortable making," I said.

"Wanna buy it tonight?"

"I'm not sure, I don't want to be treated like that again."

"You won't. I give you my solemn word."

"Then yes I would."

He packed them back in the case and put the other in the holster in his pants and took them in. "Excuse me," he said pulling out his phone. "Hey Thomas," he spoke to the person on the other end of the phone. "You aren't at work, are you?... Uh-huh. Well I have a friend got treated like dirt by one of your employees today."

Oh god he was talking to the manager it sounded like.

"Yeah that new kid Charlie, said he talked to her like she was dirt. Ok brother. No, I'm gonna take her over myself and get her taken care of. Huh? Oh you bet man take care."

He turned and his cheeks flushed a bit. "I'm sorry Maddy I did not mean to speak out of turn. I mean if you want, I will go with you and they will treat you right. Thomas will be adjusting Charlie's attitude also."

"Oh are you sure, I mean it's almost six you..."

"Oh I'm sure," he said with a smile. "If you want, grab your purse and we can go."

"I can't believe you called the manager on him."

"Thomas is the owner of the First Class he has twelve stores in total."

"Oh wow. Let me grab my stuff," I said heading to my house.

I grabbed my purse, keys and went back over. He opened the truck door for me. "Thank you," I smiled. I had never had a man open the car door for me, my dad always had my mom and us kids, but grown I had not the pleasure.

"Welcome," he said with that heart melting smile.

"Nice truck, I love the Raptors, never been in one before."

"It gets me anywhere I need I reckon."

It was about fifteen minutes over to the store and we made pleasant small talk. Each learning a little about one another. I learned he was a local hiring manager for a rather large company that had over a hundred offices spread across the U.S. I asked about his love of guns him being in shape such great shape, with being an officer worker. He'd been in the Army for nearly ten years till tore the ACL in his right knee. Divorced after 15 years of marriage, his version she was a whore and he wasn't. Sounded like my marriage just reversed.

He opened my door when we got there. "Um Maddy, I'm sorry I should have asked I guess before opening your door."

"Goodness why?"

"Well, I know some folks now days think that is sexist, it's a habit for me, if I don't do it Granny would come back from her grave just to smack the back of my head."

I laughed, "Oh lord not me. I was raised by a gentleman and really appreciate the effort of you doing it."

That put a smile back on his face and in we went. I stopped and let him open the store door. Ok so he's hot, sweet and a gentleman. What is wrong with him I wondered. 'Stop it Maddy, don't look for the bad,' I heard my dad say in my head.

"Hey'a Travis," a guy behind the register called to him.

"Hey Mike. Is Joey here?"

"No he's off, let me call David up here for you," the guy said and got on the phone.

"They seem to know you"

"I do spend a bit of time and money here. You know they say money talks."

"Bullshit walks," I whispered to him, causing us both to laugh.

"Hey T what can we do for you today," a young man came up asking?

"The lady here would like to buy herself a 19X."

"Awesome. If you will come with me." He led us to a glass display and took one out.

"Can you take the lock out and let her get a good feel of it?"

"Yeah T, for you no worries. Ma'am if there is another firearm you are interested in just says so, I can get it for you to try out."

"I like it. It's just brown," I laughed.

"Well I do the coating here. I can make it any color you want."

"How much?"

"Well with the T, discount only $50.00. But I'd have to keep if a few days."

"Thanks David," Travis said.

"Can I get it done later after things settle down?"

"Oh yes ma'am no problems at all."

"I will take it," I said.

"Great let's just get you started on paperwork." He led us over to some tablet's mounted on stands. "It's all electronic just sign in with your name and zip code it will register you. Do you have a carry permit?"

"No. Is that a problem?"

"No ma'am I will just need your driver's license. If you have a permit, we don't have to do the background since it's already done."

I gave him my license. "Great I will get started on my end while you fill that out. If you need any help, I'm sure T can help you. We can't as it's against the law, but he's filled out a couple hundred probably."

It was pretty easy. I looked at the purses while they checked my background. "These are nice I said and picked up one. My god it's expensive."

"Yeah a bit pricey but you'd get a discount."

"Because of you," I asked?

He blushed a little and nodded. "Well I know who to bring when I come," I smiled and felt myself, without thinking lean against his side a little. He did not pull away either. God this felt so good.

David waved us up to the front. "Ma'am, I'm sorry, but they put it on hold for a few days?"

"What does that mean?

"With all the new buyers flooding shops, they cannot keep up with requests, so they have us hold it for a few days till your background is good. Then we can call you to come get it."

"Oh great," I said feeling defeated again.

"David, I want another one." Travis said.

David laughed, "Ok T."

"You're buying another," I asked?

"Shhh, you can leave with one today. Once yours clears you can give me mine back. I would like to have another anyway. May give it to my daughter when you get yours."

"You can't just buy a gun for me to have for a few days," I said.

"Why not?"

I laughed; "you are quite a man. But seriously you should..."

"I want another Maddy. I'm buying one you can use it or not," he smiled down at me, he had to be 6'3" to my 5'2".

Sure enough he filled out the paperwork and they took us to the counter. David said that Travis' was good because he has a carry permit. "Maddy did you want yours coated," Travis asked.

"Here," David said handing me a photo album from behind the counter. "This is my work; you can see the colors and see if you like it."

"I do like the pink... But a pink gun?"

"I do about twenty a month for ladies in pink or purple mainly," he said.

"Really?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Do it, Travis said.

"Ok. Pink then."

"Awesome. I will call you when they release it, then call you when I finish it. I will put it at the head of the line so maybe three days after. I want to make sure the coating is set up."

"Hey Travis, a guy came over, you seen these?"

"Yeah, but I haven't looked into them, are they worth anything at $10.00"

"Oh yeah, they aren't as good as the Hex mags you normally buy, but they are made in Texas, great warranty. May not be the best end of the world mags but can't hurt to have a few set in the cabinet you know? Maybe good range mags, and I think you will like the design of the follower they have in them. They are pretty tough and have got great reviews."

Travis took the magazine from him and looked it over, then dropped it on the floor and stood on it. Picking it up and looking at it. I was shocked they did not say anything to him about him trying to hurt it.

"How many you have?"

"We got a shipment in around two hundred."

"How are you one ammo in here," Travis asked?

The guy lowered his voice, "Thomas had me put back a thousand of it and 9mm hydra shock for you when it came in."

Travis laughed, "Thomas always looking out. Ring them up, give me twenty of those mags and get the lady that purse over there," he said pointing then looking at me. "It was the top one, right?"

My mouth fell open, "Travis that's too much. I can't take that."

"Guess I will carry it if you won't," he said.

"Travis for real!"

"Consider it a housewarming gift since I wasn't a good neighbor and made sure you were welcomed to the neighborhood."

David laughed, "He is pretty stubborn ma'am when he sets his mind to it."

"Travis... How can I repay you for all this?"

"You know I guess I never thought about that Maddy." He looked like he was deep in thought. "Well I wouldn't mind a home cooked meal one day and we could call it even," then gave that smile.

I found myself leaned against him again and laughed. "You aren't going to take a no on the purse, are you?"

"If you really say no then I will, I won't overstep Maddy."

"If I can have a hug when we get home it's a deal," I said before I thought.

"A hug huh? I will owe you change back if you pay me that much'" he said smiling and then that warm rich laugh.

My jaw dropped to the floor when they rung him up over $1,400.00 dollars and he paid cash from a roll out of his jeans.

"Kelly, come over here and help us take Travis' stuff out," David said to another guy in the store.

The guys carried the stuff out and loaded it up in the truck, he shook their hands and they thanked us. I did not realize how much ammunition he bought till they took it out apparently two cases. Again he opened my door.

"Travis you are too much," I said.

"Maddy I'm gonna be gone for a few days, tomorrow thru Wednesday, I want you to be able to protect yourself. I mean... Um..."

I reached over and patted his hand. "Thank you."

He smiled really big, "You can always call me if you have issues or you know need help when I'm home, overflowed toilet or stuff, ya know. Well or even when I'm at work, I only work a few miles away."

"Hmmmm... That would mean I need your number," I said almost giggling I realized. God, I felt like a teenager falling for the football star. He gave me his cell and work numbers, I programmed mine in his phone as he drove. "It's not home cooked, but I'm hungry, you wouldn't want to hit the drive thru at Whataburger would you," I asked?

"My favorite burger in this town," he said smiling.

"My Treat T. Is if ok if I call you T?"

"You can call me anything, just don't call me late for super."

I laughed, "You are so much like my dad, he says the same thing."

"Oh? Well he must be one great guy," then he died laughing.

I had to remind him it was my treat at the pay window, and he blushed. "Maddy, I've never had a woman buy me dinner."

"Oh come one."

"No ma'am never. I mean when I was married it was a joint account. But rather dating, friends hanging out or business diners I never have." He was red faced still.

"Well maybe I will buy you a nice dinner when all this is over since you have done so much for me," I said. "But I still owe you a home cooked meal," I haven't forgot."

"Oh I was joking about that you don..."

"Oh I'm fixing you dinner. I want to, if you will come."

"Well now how could a fella turn down an invitation from you? Maybe I can fix you dinner sometime too. I fire the grill up now and then, hate cooking for just one. End up just opening a can of beans or something then throwing out the food to cook I bought because... Well cooking for one sucks."

12