All Comments on 'Never Welcomed Home Pt. 02'

by Slirpuff

Sort by:
  • 211 Comments (Page 2)
etchiboyetchiboyover 6 years ago
Technical historical inaccuracies ... And that stupid telephone call !!!

Most of the story seems to occur early '70s to mid/late mid '70s. If so, there were very few movie rental places. Also, selection of commercially produced movies was very limited until the early '80s.

Also, video tape players were hideously expensive... at least $1000. Only people I knew who had one were upper middle class families, like doctors, dentists, lawyers, senior white collar professionals, etc. People who were making at least $40,000/year (a lot of money back then when average salary was well under $10,000/year. Remember, they were barely scaping by financially.)

It was akin to the first people on the block that had a TV in the '50s, or color TV in the mid '60s... all the kids in the neighborhood would go over to the one kid's house who had a TV, or in this case a VCR. These people did not seem in that economic category.

Therefore there was very little "video babysitting" back then. Sure, "broadcast TV" might babysit, but video babysitting was highly unlikely.

The term PTSD did not come into general medical use until 1980 (and some psychiatrist/therapists wouldn't use it for years), and had very very limited use among mental therapist until then. It probably would not have been used by "working" therapists, rather would have been floating around academic clinical settings. Most "working" clinical descriptions would have been "gross stress reaction" , "stress response syndrome", "combat stress reaction", or even plain "battle fatigue".

And on a different note: what the hell was the non-responce to that telephone call? Big fat lying. Hunh?!!! And letting slide that Jerry might have been a better lover??? OK, the lover thing, he just maybe he wouldn't bring that up directly with her, but there should at least have been some internal dialog.

Old_biker_dudeOld_biker_dudeover 6 years ago
My 3rd read

Still hard to read. At 70 yrs old I lived this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
win

you never win. it's a lifetime conflict. slap hapy papy #9

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
.telephone call

Few historical inaccuracies, no response the the telephone call was annoying,otherwise very enjoyable.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
The problem with our demons- little fuckers,,,,,,

Our demons comfort us when no one else will. In your darkest hour, call on me to fight the demons together. However, as Snow White said when she was sitting up in bed and the 7 Dwarfs were looking at her,,,,,,"$50 each, or $500 for all of you at the same time"

The NavigatorThe Navigatorover 6 years ago
"Thank you for your service!"

'Most every day when I go out I wear a dark blue baseball cap. On its bill are 'scrambled eggs', above it are three rows of ribbons, and it says "WWII - Korea Veteran". I am always amazed -- and pleased -- when some one looks at me and says, "Thank you for your service."

It happens almost every day. Sometimes people will go out of their way, maybe walk across the parking lot, just to say thanks and shake my hand. Once, it was a 5-year-old boy, with his dad standing off to the side, prompting him.

It always pleases me, not the personal praise, but the fact these people are truly patriots demonstrating their very personal feelings. Bless them all.

somewhatniceguysomewhatniceguyover 6 years ago
it takes guts

to forgive and even more guts to re-kindle the love...so all is well...nice one this

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Anonymous 01/07/2018

Up yours. Unless you lived through those time shut up and keep your crappy thoughts to yourself.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Anonymous 1/07/18

You’re an ass! Those who went and were spit on for wearing a uniform home will never forget the treatment they were given. Those who spit on our troopers yet grew up later never forgave themselves for the way they treated the boys who managed to come home.

If you weren’t there you will NEVER understand why we haven’t forgiven.

Just remember this......the “greatest generation” was treated as hero’s and were given parades (our fathers), we expected that people would appreciate us when we returned. Instead we were made to feel shame that we had the audacity to uphold what we believed in. And remember this we were 20 years old and have had to live almost half a century with the hate of people like you.

And so ..... back at you ... jerk!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Excellent story

Except, as several mentioned, the secret phone call. Sort of left a bad feeling.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Fantasy

In the real world Becky would have married Jerry.

brianelabrianelaabout 6 years ago
The right story name

Fiction or not there are pieces of fact in this story. I served in Vietnam in 1966-67. I was also there for the battle of Long Tan. It took me years to get over it. I married a wonderful woman 27 days after I returned and have been with her ever since which is nearly 51 years.

So I can honestly give this story 5 stars, well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

I have read a lot of books on Viet Nam and results at returning home and aftermath, some written by people who served there but most written by people who did not have a clue. I also watched several movies about Nam and all but 1 or 2 were pathetic. This story had to have been written by someone who went through Viet Nam or went through the PTSD or was advised and listened to someone who went through Nam and the resulting effects of PTSD. This author is great!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

What happened to the comments of 1/07/08... I personally dislike... Nationalism... Patriotism... And a whole lot of other isms... I also dislike people that think that its horrible when our people are killed... But care not a bit when ttheir people are killed... The nazis that claimed they were only following orders were prosecuted... There is no honor in going into someone else's house and killing their family and destroying their home... Simply because someone told you to.... Delete my comment if you want to... I don't care... And im 68... I was in nam... To my everlasting regret... And i didn't want to be congratulated when i came back... I was ashamed of going... And this current mess is greedier and worse... No honor in it at all...

-jaye-

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
That's the way it was

I was there - Nam - and have had to become a loner to get by. The love of a wonderful woman pulled me through although she is now with someone else. The enormity of what you had to do to come home only hits you when you look into the eyes of your own little ones - and think that probably 'he' or 'they' had loved ones waiting also (in vain). Lives you took fighting to save your own are there side by side with those of your mates who died alongside you. PTSD - You never forget and remember mainly when alone - especially that one firebase. A wonderful story that recalls so many feelings and memories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

good story i served during veitnam and so did my brother we both came home but i still suffer today with ptsd i was also spit upon when i stepped off the plane

KRD19254KRD19254about 6 years ago

Only those who went into the combat zone, who initially feared every minute it could be their last - finally becoming numb to the fears - will ever understand. War is not a TV/Movie screen that all you need to do is look forward and dodge what's coming at you. Combat is a full 360 sphere from any angle - above and below too.

As a newbie/cherry/nugget that initial fear makes you a target, a risk (as your brain is so fixated on life and the fear of death) the fear goes thru your whole body to your toe nails every time a mortar hits or the crack of a rifle is heard. For those of you that can never understand that type of prolonged fear, try to remember the split seconds just before you see an accident happen, how your legs go to jelly, you gasp a short breath as your heart misses that next few beats. That accident fear lasts only a few seconds now be in country and that fear is with every step, every breath, every waking moment until your either a casualty or your mind goes numb from exhaustion and you finally realize there is nothing you can do - if that bullet has your name on it, well it does. All you can do is minimize becoming a target, think, intuition, be ready to jump, react. And the one thought that never leaves you 24/7 is living to walk onto that plane that will get you out of this hell.

Then you come home to a different hell that no one but another Vet can understand. Family is good but they just do not know. Here is where I feel the VA fails too - they should have welcome-home seminars for families just before their Vets return - to clue family into what to expect. Not for proud families to complicate the return with hero parties, etc. The families child/brother/sister will NOT be the same person who left. They will have experienced, done, and seen things that few will ever see/do. All Vets have ghosts - not all Vets have a Ganny.

Schwanze1Schwanze1almost 6 years ago
Yeah

helluva story. Choked me up at the end with the soldier greeting.

Surprised here on Lit he didn't have an issue with being the second best lover. Would have liked to know, were I him, who she was talking with.

brianelabrianelaover 5 years ago
Vietnam veteran

I am a Vietnam veteran I was there in 1966-67. The biggest problem I encountered was that you didn't know if the Vietnam person you were standing next to you was a friend or enemy. When I returned home I was subjected to taunts and abuse as were the others with me.

I was engaged to the most wonderful woman in the world and I have never doubted her fidelity. We were married three weeks after I came home and without her I may never have been able to handle the psychological problems that I had. My greatest ally was and is my wife. We have been married for over 51 years.

Am I able to relate to this story HELL YES.

ranec1ranec1over 5 years ago
Mean As!!

Chur bro awesome story

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Great Story

I enjoyed this chapter more than I did the first chapter. This one just hit home to me a lot more than the first one did. Thanks go to the author for sharing this. Five Stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

You are a wonderful storyteller, good sir.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Why

Why was it never explained or why did he never ask who she was talking to on the phone about Jerry.Plus the fact having heard the conversation he should have walked out and just had his daughter for visits,she was hedging her bets.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Wrong

Wrong move.I know every one loves a happy ending,but with her attitude and the fact she continued shagging Jerry when she knew Steve wanted her back,he should have stayed with Carol and had access to his daughter.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Wasn't prepared for this story on this site.

Well written. It touched me, but I wasn't a vet. I like to think that as an active protester in 1968, I helped end the conflict and get some boys home sooner. Probably not. I wonder if anyone has written about those who protested the war, didn't do drugs, but we're greatly affected by the war. Became numb.na kind of non battle induced PTSD.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
2nd Chance Charlie

Earlier today I read your first four (alphabetically) stories and gave them a star and a half total and a word not to quit your day job.

An author that I REALLY enjoy has favorited you and I wanted to know why, so I read your two HIGHEST rated stories and gave them 5 stars each.

Like any GREAT baseball player, you've got it in you to clear the Green Monster, but WOW, you can go down swinging.

Keep it up - you've earned vindication from an anonymous nobody, but keep it up.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Correct

Anonymous4/2/19as it correct,he should never have got back with her,daughter or not,she was just a selfish bitch.Any way if Jerry was better than Steve in bed there is no way she would have taken him back.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
This series is

probably this author's best writing....Truly well written in every respect. The characters are beautifully developed, and the plotline is well conceived. An excellent example of the writer's craft

george6969george6969over 4 years ago
Vet thought

This is a well written story. Even though I as a veteran could not get over my demons. I am moved by the story and the welcome and hearing sometimes Thank you for your service. The secret is some of us will not show our feelings till we are alone. But for me I thank the veterans and the troops serving today and the families who have supported them.

BarryJames1952BarryJames1952over 4 years ago
Well earned 5*

Great story and almost perfectly told. I wish you had addressed the overheard phone conversation. After hearing he wasn’t as good in bed as the other boyfriend you just let it drop, unless I missed something.

jimjam69jimjam69over 4 years ago
Very good

Well done all around!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
The phone call was Slirpuff being Slirpuff

In most of (his, her) stories the man has to be belittled , no matter what. In the majority of ( his,her)stories the man is almost always second chose. Like in this story Jerry is a better lover then Steve, and she doest trust Steve. So I have to ask < why is she living whit Steve in the house his grandmother left him, if Jerry is so much better? That comment ruined the entire story for me. All the work that Steve did to better himself went up in smoke when he heard that he didn't measure up to Jerry when it came to sexually satisfying Becky. Dump the bitch get visitation with the daughter and moveon with your life. No man would stay with a woman that just settled for him. That is Slipuffs m.o. After (he,she) slipped in that phone conversation, a good story became not much. What man would babysit his child while the woman he loved went out to fuck another man? not in my world. That's why I always call Slirpiff ( he,she) tries to write as a man but thinks as a woman.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Second Time Around

Yeah, Slirpuff's characters have some similarities. Still a really good story.

WilkerbeastWilkerbeastover 4 years ago

A properly written story. It held my interest, it didn’t fall apart, and I was able to follow along and become a part of it. I am retired military veteran, and while not exactly the same as Steve, I could relate to a lot of his experiences. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Thanks

After having read scores, maybe hundreds of Literotica stories this is the first Nam story. Although I wasn&rsquo;t AG lifer (retired back in 82) and not a ground pounder this continuously brought back memories &amp; tears. Thanks for a well written memory.

Served with 1st Cav (AM) 1970-71)

NitpicNitpicalmost 4 years ago
Whilst

Whilst the author has given this story a happy ending,she should have married Jerry.As for the way she treated him despite his best efforts,he should have only had contact with her so he could see his daughter.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Good Story

It kind of irritates that someone who has not written anything tries to correct an author as to story line. I was not thrilled with some parts, but liked the completed package. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
4 Stars

Sorry it hit way to close to home For Me ..

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
That Hit Close To Home For Me, Too

I won't go into how much I saw me in your story...but my two sons are Marines. Together they have 7 tours of Kuwait, Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan under their belts. It is hard to describe the things they saw and did in war. But one saw a recovery helicopter vaporized in the sky over his head while he was engaged in a brutal fire fight. He came back to us missing a chunk of one foot. Both boys suffer from PTSD. My oldest son and his wife sleep in separate beds because he almost did serious physical harm to his wife in his sleep.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

This was a nice story but the reconciliation is pretty much a joke. Its unrealistic because Steve never demanded to be treated with respect. He was so desperate to be forgiven that he just took all that Becky threw at him. I totally get that reaction, I really do. At the same time you have to demand consideration if you ever want a partnership of equals. Even if its just being a coparent.

Becky got off on controlling and denigrating him. She said so. I see no reason why she should love him considering she doesn't respect him at all.

So despite this all of a sudden with Steve being a doormat she is just going to stop? Give me a break. Becky has her own issues, no way she just decides to give way. Doesn't work that way. Not in real life. Relationships take work on BOTH sides.

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 3 years ago
Very Depressing Until ...

Great story, but I cannot figure out WHO the Loving Wife is. Sweetie, despite being told she had a hall-pass during Future Hubby’s overseas service, there is no hint she ever USED it. Nor after his return and plummet into the dregs. After she divorced Our Fallen Hero, she started up, at some unspecified time, a serious relationship as a single adult woman with a consenting single adult man (Jerry) and, perhaps, a few others (but probably only Jerry!). No evidence of any adventurous behavior, quite the opposite ... her focus was presented as being on her daughter rather than catting around.

ifeanyiifeanyiover 3 years ago
Wow

I thank you for this story. 5 stars!

cvmawirenutcvmawirenutover 3 years ago

Came home from Vietnam in Dec. 1969 with many issues similar to what Steve experienced. Like Steve I go to airports to do 'Welcome Homes' that Nam vets were a little tardy getting. This is a great story well told and a definite 5*

brianelabrianelaover 3 years ago
A Long time coming

This story brings back memories, some good many bad. I am an Australian Vietnam Vet (1966-67) With memories of Long Tan. The one thing that peeves me the most is that it took over 26 years for that welcome to come.

MarkT63MarkT63over 3 years ago

Great story!!! Praise for ALL of our veterans!!!

muskyboymuskyboyover 3 years ago

I am a Vietnam vet.. This killed the story for me..."Jerry was good in bed, maybe better than Steve. But, I've got a history with Steve and even though I don't fully trust him yet, I think he's the one I want to be with."

No way a guy comes back from that statement, ever!

dgfergiedgfergieabout 3 years ago

Great story,I still think back to my service in the Arm 64 to 67. I fortunate not to go to Vietnam and they were doing a real build up in 67. Sad to think of the 50 thousand our politicians killed over there. Yes I blame the politicians because the war was being fought from DC they were telling the generals what to do. I also was wondering about phone call he overheard, that was never expanded on that would have been difficult to hear let alone recover from in his fragile state. Good writing, brought tears at times. Another sad thing about the draft back then? It was economic draft, if you were in college you didn't go. Or if your were married and had kids. Not fair. You also didn't see many politicians sons over there. Quit voting for incumbents! Vote for term limits!!! Please!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Excellent story and a true loving wife.

I was born in 1955, so by the time I turned 18 in 1973, while you still had to register for the draft and numbers were drawn, no one was actually being drafted. My number was such that I would not, thankfully, have had to serve.

But that war set me on a course where I found it impossible, from then on, to trust my own government, irrespective of the party in power. My sister’s boyfriend had an older brother.....very, very nice guy who treated everyone really well. I played cards with him many times. He volunteered in 1969 and was sent over in October of that year. He returned, or should I say, parts of him returned in a box a month later. I was still in grade school at the local Catholic Church. I was one of the altar boys selected to serve mass at his funeral. To say it was hard is an understatement. Then, four years later, Nixon’s “peace with honor” essentially meant that 55,000 Americans died for absolutely no good reason. At 18, I was livid that my friend was one of those 55,000.

I have not supported any war or “police action” undertaken by the American government since then, and there have been too many to count. If politicians are so set on war, let them send their own family members to serve. You’d see a hell of a lot less fighting if that were the case.

Mr_Sap24Mr_Sap24about 3 years ago

Thanks for that story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

A great story with a few great messages. Thank you for your story! 5 stars

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Truly excellent story. Struck a number of chords with me. It took 9/11 in the US and the Falklands war for the UK for the military to earn the overdue level of appreciation it deserves from the media and the public.

Carnes8004Carnes8004almost 3 years ago

As a veteran of that Era, and of Desert Storm, the difference of how we treated was like day and night. I went through the depression, nightmares, isolation, short temper problems, and divorce, before my doctor at the VA, picked up on some of my problems and got me into the PTSD programs.

I could feel what Steve was going thru.

To all my comrades Before me, with me, and after me, THANKS, and WELCOME HOME!

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69almost 3 years ago

Flew to many out....

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Great story. Had all the worst parts of war and the effects.

Phone call completely changed it for me though. I expect done by the writer on purpose, as it completely change the complexion of the relationship. Possibly a tool to add derision, since the writer didn't follow-up on it.

Heckofa ride though.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Going through all the carnage and the loss of friends / comrades, the treatment of Vietnam vets upon their return bordered on criminal - certainly inhuman. The solders returning from the middle east have suffered through as much or worse, the only bright spot is they have been given a little better welcome home. Sometimes all it takes is a story like this to remind us of all we owe these men and women who put their lives, families and futures on hold and at risk for us. THANK YOU ONE AND ALL NO MATTER THE CONFLICT FOR EVERYTHING YOU DID FOR US AND THE INNOCENT CIVILIANS YOU AIDED.

somewhere east of Omaha

MightyheartMightyheartover 2 years ago

Nice one.

Well written.

Believable.

Really sad when people blame Soldiers for the deeds of Politicians !

russ603russ603over 2 years ago

Having served for 24+ years (1963-1987), this one really hits home. Though I never served in Vietnam, my oldest brother did and his response was "what a waste!" You have really captured much of the struggle faced by so many of my fellow brothers-in-arms on their return from a war zone. Great story, and thank you for handling it so well.

usaretusaretover 2 years ago

From a Retired SFC Nam Vet, Tha;k You.

dgfergiedgfergieover 2 years ago

Tears for a great story. I was fortunate, joined the Army in in 64 got out in 67. Did my tour in Europe and never wound up in Nam. What Biden in Afgahn was unforgivable. Thousands more will die just for helping us while we were there. We can't let the politicians keep sending our people out to die.

SDN1955SDN1955over 2 years ago

I was 18 when the choppers evacuated Saigon, so I never had to go to Vietnam. But what I saw that day changed me. I knew a guy who enlisted, went to Vietnam in October, 1969 and came back a month later in a box, or rather, parts of him came back. When Nixon gave his “peace with honor” speech, I realized, at 18 years of age, that the government was useless and that the 55,000 soldiers and God knows how many Vietnamese who died, died for absolutely no reason at all. I have not supported any US military actions since then because I realized that they are based in lies.

Five star story the whole way.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good story. Thank you for the effort.

What I was missing in this story is feelings. I miss the love you'd be able to feel between the two of them. I feel the anger in the story, but it seems you are not able to frame the positve feelings, the love in the same way.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story.

Falcon_W40SVFalcon_W40SVover 2 years ago

I would put this story in the category of a 5*x2, since this site doesn't have that score. Our government in Washington DC, since the Revolutionary war to the present has absolutely no compunction in sending the youth and future of our country to some war to die or be wounded in "defense of our country and way of life".

However where is Washington DC when our warriors return either to a military hospital or in a flagged

draped coffin? I'll leave the answer to YOU.

At one time in history Kings, Emperors, and other terms I don't remember led troops into battle, today even most Generals hide out in places like the Pentagon, and pontificate about how great they are, leaders they are NOT.

Those who have given so much are forgotten.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Almost made me cry. I was in Viet Nam as an advisor. I remember the helicopters at the US embassy. I felt, still feel guilt at abandoning my Vietnamese comrades when they needed me most.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

WOW! Falcon_W40SV Said it all. ..No need for further comment,thank you. LP

kirei8kirei8about 2 years ago

Send a copy of this story to Hanoi Jane please! And here is a big FUCK YOU to all the unwashed long haired cowards who spit on me in '73.

Texasboy87Texasboy87about 2 years ago

A very emotional read for this old Vietnam vet. I too married my high school sweetheart when I got back in 1968. I was no longer the fun loving person that I was in 1967. If it had not been for the love of my life I may not have survived. We had 15 very good years together before she was taken by cancer. Not a day goes by that I do not thank her for saving me.

kamdev99008kamdev99008almost 2 years ago

Heart touching.....

Not just for love or lust...

It's a serious issue related to American youths fascinating defence services as a patriotic duty for the country.....

But US politicians misusing their sentiments by deploying them in other countries, exploiting them for political milage, leaving them vulnerable alone on emotional and personal front.

Same situation created by indian government in 1985-89 by deploying india

n army in Sri Lanka.

To all who thinks joining defence services is a patriotic duty :-

Country and defence forces are not for the protection of people... They are solely created to protect the government and power greedy politicians.

Cracker270Cracker270almost 2 years ago

Kamdev99008, well just bless your heart

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesover 1 year ago

Personal demons affect us all, here have been some of the worst. Great story telling, good read. Thanks for your writing.

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 1 year ago

They should have stayed co-parents and if my parents were like he’s the wouldn’t be in my life anymore. He gave up every part of who he was just to please a woman that only saw him as a sucker. Love my ass, or I’ll take your daughter. I hate when women feel they’re more important that the father of the child.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

As Gen. Sherman once said "war is hell."... and for some, it remains with them forever... for others, by the grace of God, they overcome and then help lead others out and into the light.

TheRealMadtexTheRealMadtexover 1 year ago

Absolutely fantastic!

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

started out okay, then tapered off to not so good. sorry for being negative

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

One of your best Stephen Moore and as an Ex serviceman I loved the ending Best wishes (jaybee186)

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Slirpuff:

From the son of a Korea and Vietnam vet and who has worn the uniform for 40 years myself with multiple tours to various places around the globe all I can say through the tears is THANK YOU!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great story. No clue why some readers were rooting for them NOT to get back together. The author made it clear that while he was afflicted by PTSD with no means to get over his guilt during their first marriage, she also suffered terribly. I bet some are offended by her phone call where she said "Jerry was a good lover. Maybe even better than Steve." All I can say is grow up. She also said in the same call how she wanted to be with him and loved him but she liked having some independence. Shit she had to pull her and her daughter out of their failed marriage as her ex husband was falling into a death spiral. He got scary and was out of control with substance abuse. Got even worse after the divorce. We feel sorry for him because he had suffered in the warz but that is cold comfort for Becky when she sees him destroying himself and their marriage and he would not talk to her, resorting instead to booze and drugs. Becky is not the enemy here. And btw someone can love someone who is not their best sex partner x at least at that time. I am sure they improved over the years with time and more experience. I am guessing the MC was not performing the best he could during the first marriage because of all his baggage and then his alcoholism and drugs. If people only fell in love to their best sex partners then the work would be a very different place and their woukd be way more divorces. I appreciated the hell they both had to go to. His Grandma was wonderful and tough and updated Becky. She was a huge supporter and ally. His parents were a disappointment. I get they were hurt and frustrated but their relationship never really seemed to heal completely. They went for a long time just ostracized him. With no contact. At least Abby was the bridge between the two. Anyways very realistic story. Becky and the MC both changed. He survived his guilt and shame and trauma in Nam. She survived the collateral damage ofnhis PTSD and the destruction of the man she loved and their marriage. He was saved by Grandma and did the work. It was interesting to see their relationship dynamic slowly change but not always simple. She had to relearn not to just trust him but to respect him. She did. And he had to learn that she had matured and how to forgive himself. They made it with a lot of work. If it were nit for Abby, they never would have worked it out. And nertz to people who blame her for dating another guy, starting before he came back after his near apocalypse post-divorce. While heartbreaking to the MC, Jerry loved her and she though she was in love with him. The problem is she loved the MC and there was Abby. If anything Jerry probably was upset by her stalling on getting married and was worried about competition from the ex. They were going out for dinner dates (with restrictions) while she was dating Jerry. They were divorced and she still didn't trust the MC. While it hurt like he'll, it was a consequence of him blowing up their first marriage. As time went by after a couple of months, she realized who she loved more was the MC, especially the old version that she saw coming back except now with maturity. Kudos for the MC not being a jerk wad and blowing things out of proportion. Like how he slowed down her wanting to get married and more kids. One step at a time. And they needed to be equal partners. It was never going to be the same marriage. Bith changed too much in the intervening time they were separated. But yeah his parents pretty much sucked. Thank goodness for Grandma, then later Becky and Abby. His parents were distraught but basically abandoned him. I can see kicking him out of their house, but really no connection? Meh. Not cool.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I didn't like Becky so them getting back together I did not care for and starting skimming their interactions. Wished he went for a new girl instead. Ruined the ending for me. Why did he love her? She changed so much and not for the better. He changed too. Just move on.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Amazing how so many commenters are judgemental of Becky who had been severely burned by the MC and had to learn to trust and respect him. But if the genders had been swapped, they would have been roasting the cheater wife. Of course Becky changed. Of course she was gun shy. Her ex had been a complete asshole to her and Abby for some time.

NitpicNitpicabout 1 year ago
Me

Me,I don't think he should have got married to her again,just keep in touch to see his daughter,someone who did love him.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Wars are for grandstanding politicians,generals and the meja who give it their slant,good or bad,ratings rule.The poor service people really get the shaft,veterans affairs do as little as possible,just look at the suicide rate.Family is the ones who suffer,nough said.5stars

Jlyn1Jlyn1about 1 year ago

My grandfather served in Vietnam. He

struggled with the demons from that war. Exposure to agent orange took him from us to soon. I loved my grandpa, and he called me his little ray of sunshine.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

5 stars and 10 for Becky.

Simon_MastersSimon_Mastersabout 1 year ago

Brilliant story, your best I've read so far, with out a doubt.

rn2711rn2711about 1 year ago

Overall, good story.

One question though. With who did Becky speak on the phone?

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Amazing and deep story. Sad so many commenters want to rag on Becky. He completely betrayed her and Abby. What else could she do. Imagine Becky and the MC, swapped genders. Would you feel the same? If you don't then it is hypocrisy. This is also back in a time before PTSD was understood.

Surfdude1965Surfdude196512 months ago

It was a good story. A very tough read for me, though. I served for over 30 years and saw a lot of good men suffer throughout my time. Whenever I hear someone tell me thank you for your service, I really have mixed feelings. I almost feel guilt for not paying the ultimate price. To put it right in my head I pretend to accept the gratitude as it is given on behalf of those that really deserve it.

Thank you for the story. I couldn't read it without the memories that it stirred up in me. I had a lot of tears.

FaithfulToWifeFaithfulToWife12 months ago

It was sad to see treatment meted to Jerry by Becky. He was kept hooked by Becky as a backup if things didn't work out with Steve. Even in words of Becky - he was a great guy and liked her daughter. No wonder men are so distrusting towards single mother.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

I think the phone call with Person Unknown about Jerry is very much like Chekhov's Gun; if it isn't going to serve a purpose then it shouldn't be there.

6King6King11 months ago

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Amazing story.

My opinions are:

Stephen had his best friend die in his arms, his spiral into rock bottom is understandable. He had a mental illness. His treatment of Becky and Abby was heinous but why would anyone keep cutting him down while he's in therapy for his illness and trying to put his life back together. I see so many comments praising Becky; for what? Being a strong independent woman doesn't mean continuously cutting a healing man suffering from PTSD and trauma. How much abuse is he supposed to take?

If the gender was reversed it would be the exact same.

He's healing and she's on the phone telling someone she still loved Jerry and he was better in bed? Continuously trying to 'be in charge'. Stephen fucked up, but she could have handled it far better.

She was a bitch to a man healing from mental illness. He was an asshole to her BECAUSE he was suffering with untreated PTSD. It's not the same.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Great story. Thanks for sharing your talent.

XluckyleeXluckylee10 months ago

Good story thank you for sharing. 5 stars from Xluckylee

JimmyThePlungerJimmyThePlunger10 months ago

Thank you, a well told story, I'm not American but I understand the horror of war and I'm old enough to remember & understand how many Vietnam Vets were mistreated, I have also lost two friends in conflict. Really well done.

doctrptdoctrpt9 months ago

1979 in my hometown, a group of Vietnam Veterans marched in a small festival parade. They had been spit upon, cursed, hated on their return, and here in this parade they had banded together and formed a unit to parade because they loved their country and they wanted people to know it. They were afraid of the reception they might receive, so they were trying it out in a small, ultra-conservative mid-western town. They were received with a standing ovation down the entire parade route, and the band I marched in doubled back and added patriotic music to their march. I have never been prouder of my hometown, and I have never forgotten the reaction of the vets and the people of that small town that supported them. They had finally come home, and for the first time, they were welcomed. I have sounded taps at many of their funerals in the last few years, with pride...

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

This story hit me very close to home. It brought a torrent to my eyes. The pain is never gone, it just lies in the back of my psyche only to come out when triggered, but I can deal with it now. I didn't fall as far down as Steve but I did hit my bottom. I came home in November of 71. I was a basket case until 1976. What saved me was my mother who convinced me to get counseling. But there was another factor. I had met a girl, yes a girl. She was 20 and I was 27. She was instrumental in my "rehabilitation". We married and were so for 21 years. We had two biological children, but we raised three others. When she passed I lost my rock. But because of her, I did not lose my way.

My middle son joined the Army. His biological father was a Marine. I asked him why he chose the Army. He said, "Because you were Army Dad." It was the first time he called me Dad. He came home with PTSD and I have been helping him. It is a long road but we understand one another.

TrustingagainTrustingagain8 months ago

Thank you for your story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous