All Comments on 'Never Welcomed Home Pt. 02'

by Slirpuff

Sort by:
  • 208 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
claptrap

So bad I won't bother to describe it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Wonderful

Those of us who were of age in the '60s and '70s know what you're talking about. Those who don't get what you're saying are not worth worrying about. 5*. Thank you for a terrific story.

gmann57gmann57almost 8 years ago

The Vietnam Vets were treated terribly and I was always ashamed. Vietnam Vets Rock and thank you all for your service in a fucked up war

mordbrandmordbrandalmost 8 years ago
Allergies

Eyes keep watering. 5*

BriteaseBriteasealmost 8 years ago
I'm not an american, but ....

I'm of the correct generation and can well remember with disgust the way your vets were treated towards the end of the Vietnam war. Don't knock the politicians too hard though, as 'most' of them were, I think, doing what they thought was correct at the time, and it's difficult for anyone who wasn't around to judge whether that was the right thing or not. More recently I thought from the start that USA's intervention in Syria was a huge mistake and will end with Assad back in charge anyway. Other than that though, the rest of the 'civilised' world would do well to reflect on what state the world might be in now if America hadn't regularly and willingly acted as the world's policeman (with the UK, I'm proud to say, for the most part backing them), rather than harp on about what's it got to do with us. The world is becoming a smaller place by the day, and it all has a lot to do with us, but it's getting increasingly more difficult to pick your way successfully through it. Great story Slirpuf. Sounds like you were there.

SensateSensatealmost 8 years ago
Coming Home

I remember coming home in '65, before all the protests. But it was like I didn't exist. It was 40 years before anyone said, "Thank you for your service."

Great story. 5 stars.

oshawoshawalmost 8 years ago

This is going to be one of the all times greats. Thank you, Slirpuff.

CrkcpprCrkcppralmost 8 years ago
Makes me ponder

I suppose the one thing any author sets out to do is to make the reader think , really truly think. Slirpuff , you have done that job well with this story .

From the Spartans to the Roman Legions to todays military men and women who have been through it , I'm sure that the aftermath of wars through out all of history , that there are untold numbers of people who silently suffered the rest of their lives.

This was a powerful representation of just one of many , and I feel very honored to have been allowed to share in your great work.

Yes it made me think , in fact it made me ponder !

5*'s

dissmissdissmissalmost 8 years ago
simply put .......

....... I believe this to be one of the best stories I have read here on literotica.

SharedSigneSharedSignealmost 8 years ago
re claptrap (really?)

So this one guy who posts anonymously gets his rocks off trashing excellent authors of well-written stories. Some authors say they don't let bad reviews bother them but that's a lie. Authors live for good reviews. This anonymous moron who gives bad reviews to everything is lower than pond scum. This story was not my usual favorite read, not the reason I visit LW, but I can't deny it was brilliant. Raves and five stars!

SharedSigneSharedSignealmost 8 years ago
I take it back, 2 stars

Oops now I take that 5 star rating back. It appears the author got his buddies to give five star ratings then turned off voting for fear the hot wife crowd would 1 bomb him. So I can't vote, Well that was kind of a wimpy thing to do. We're not the ones who do that (1 bomb well written good stories just because)! So I will virtually subtract three stars from my 5 star rating. I thought a war hero would be more brave!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Veteran

This story left me with tears in my eyes. I can relate to it. After Desert Storm we came home to no welcome while there were parades for everyone else. I also returned having my wife leave me with my children. we did not see her for another year at the divorce hearing. My kids saw here five more times in the next 20 years. I understand the feelings that this writer was saying and the hoops that he jumped through. I will never be the same but in many ways I am better today. I am also worse in others. Every day I struggle but with my present wife I have a great support system. I prey for others who go through this. You do not understand this story unless you have actually lived the life. Great story.

CrkcpprCrkcppralmost 8 years ago
@ Sharedsigne

Do you not realize that if you vote on a story , you can't vote again ? The author did not turn off the voting !!!!

kdcee79kdcee79almost 8 years ago
Another great story

While perhaps not as good or gripping as the first chapter, this is still an excellent tale. Very well told. 5 * * * * *

dyonysosdyonysosalmost 8 years ago
@ SharedSigne

SharedSigne You must be paranoia ,there is no other way to explain your comment that has no fondation

About the story //Slirpuff it is an exellent continuation to the first part,congrats,in my favorits and 5 well earned stars

TwentysevenTwentysevenalmost 8 years ago
Missed Opportunity

You shine a light on the issues facing many returning soldiers but the point that needed to be made is that the Governments and the communities which put them in harm's way need to get serious about helping them readjust. Handing them a flag is a cheap copout.

SharedSigneSharedSignealmost 8 years ago
Sorry, something strange happened

Voting WAS turned off this morning for a short while on this story but now is back on. I don't know if it was a Literotica glitch or what but now I give the story 5 stars because I can and I never try to vote more than once. I'm not as stupid as some of you imagine.

impo_61impo_61almost 8 years ago
What to say about this story?

What to say about this story? All was said in the other comments...so I just say: Thank you for another excellent story...5*

RePhilRePhilalmost 8 years ago
Thanks for sharing these emotions

Emotions that us regular Joe's would never realize in our comfortable lives. It also puts in perspective what we consider important and what really is. My nephew and his spotter are with the Royal Marines in Iraq an never speak a word about their service.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Good story

Though we saw too much of shrew Becky and too little of soft Becky. Her character didn't leave a very good impression, especially with that phone call scene. But still 4*.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Great story. 5*

hey SharedWHORE why don't you go FUCK YOURSELF. fucking dumb cunt.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Sigh

Not addressing the phone call put a damper on it. She said Jerry was better in bed, but she knows Steve, but doesn't fully trust him. Steve was upset to hear it.

Becky came across as a shrew. I thought this,would make an interesting plot twist exploring how people changed, and working through it.

Sadly, never addressed again. I thought foreshadowing but it was just filler. Sigh.

Still excellent

jasjonjasjonalmost 8 years ago
5☆

From an Iraqi vet, thanks for this story.

bruce22bruce22almost 8 years ago
Emotional and Thought Provoking Story

Two points where I thought that story failed: 1) That telephone call, if I were there I would say we are not going any place if you lie to me. Normally if I catch a person a lieing I move away from them, 2) I thought that they should have done a lot more for the returning service men, invite them for meetings and set them up with potential support groups. Certainly was a five star offering and the question of reintegrating warriors has never had a good answer.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
There are tears in my eyes

because I went through a lot of the same things and experiences. Alan Lamb was my loss and my best friend. God bless you Alan where ever you are and thank you Slirpuff for reminding people today of our horrors of yesterday.

Fuddpucker (a former Electric Strawberry SSGT)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Thanks

It made me think of all of us who served in the Rhodesian war what a waste. I lost frends and family in that wish we had a group like that. But you USA people always know how to say thanks to they who serve. Thanks wet from too many wars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Minneapolis airport

I flew back through minneapolis airport on the way to DEMOB at Ft. McCoy december 2005 and novemeber 2009. Remarkable you mentioned that.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Sir, You have earned a

Well Deserved, "Bravo Zulu"!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Only those...

who served can fully appreciate this tale - it rings so many bells!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
WOW!

I didn't served, thank god, as my # was too high to be drafted. I wasn't a protester but my girlfriend (later and still wife) was. I have several friends who did, all before I knew them. One of them is pretty screwed up but like you has done well in his 'later' years. My best friend was in Cryptanalysis and helped break the code that kept the Tet Offensive from being successful. Thank you for your service.

patilliepatilliealmost 8 years ago
Fantastic Slirpuff

Really well done, emotional,realistic. 5*.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Thank you

Thank you for writing this.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Really liked it.

Well done but could have had more details about how he overcame the shadow of Jerry.

Her phone conversation bothered me for the rest of the story and it was a conversation they should have had.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
You hit a grand slam with this story

Those of us alive during the 1960-70 era, can resonate with this perfect adaptation of steves life was . I saw what was going on and joined the reserve at that time so I would not have to go overseas into that slaughter . Our politicians keep sending our boys over to fight for what. Why do other nations always stop short of committing there forces.? Why did we become the world policemen,we are going broke doing this. The last wasted adventure was George B ush taking out saduim Hussan in Irag. We all know how that turned the Middle East into a powder keg, nation building doesn't work. It creates monsters. Thank you pres Bush.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago

Great but he never addressed the conversation he overheard about her loving the other guy and how he might of been better in bed. That's a real blow to a mans ego when in a shaky relationship. I would have made her feel like shit about what I heard and her lying about what and who she talked about. That's my only complaint.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago

Same thing happened to my friend who joind with me we did not end up together but he was killed over there. I hoped someone said something to me, didn't happen but I hoped

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Conversation about Jerry.....

Really agree with the comments about the conversation Becky had with her friend about Jerry. The more I think about it, I'm not sure why it was even included. Sure

calls into question Becky's sincerity.

KirkelKirkelalmost 8 years ago
Thanks for that.

Never in the service. Have no idea. That being said...thank you all!

IronDragonIronDragonalmost 8 years ago
A Magnum Opus

This is your magnum opus, Slirp. A tale of struggle and redemption beyond comparison. My father still has a few issues with what happened over there, as does my FIL. They've dealt with them the way you did, or the Steve in the tale did, though.

Thank you, sir, for writing about that time in history, and how it affected you as a combat veteran. The vets of today also go through similar issues with PTSD. I'm one of them. My tours in Afghanistan and Iraq weren't a vacation, either. Thank you again, Slirp.

2nd Batt. Veteran. RLTW

5 GINORMOUS Stars!

eightytuneseightytunesalmost 8 years ago

SLIRPUFF: this is to THANK IRONDRAGON who said it the best way to you "THIS IS YOUR MAGNUM OPUS".

Sad that Steve didn't get his "WELCOME BACK", although he lived through HELL and SURVIVED with all the demons that ATTACKED him. He was STRONGER than so many who came back and couldn't handle their DEMONS. So many don't come back INTACT...emotionally / physically.

A "10".

My Thanks.

SlirpuffSlirpuffalmost 8 years agoAuthor
Didn't turn off voting...

Voting must have been turned off by literotica because it wasn't me...

I let everyone say what they want about my stories both good and bad because you never learn or get better if everyone says you're perfect...

I've written some real garbage in the past, and admit it... but a lot of good things too....

hell, it's a free site and the authors that submit stories deserve credit for putting it all out there... without them, there wouldn't be a site...

Happy Father's Day to everyone out there...

The NavigatorThe Navigatoralmost 8 years ago
Outstanding!

Slirpuff, you've set the bar might high for the other contributors to this section.

BTW, it says there are 43 other comments, but I can display only 7.

MainefiddleheadsMainefiddleheadsalmost 8 years ago
I gave it 5*

I enjoyed it very much. I don't know if I would have had the patience of the character Steve or not but I also have not gone through his torments.

Thanks for the good read.

sinsational83sinsational83almost 8 years ago
ABSOLUTLY

This is ABSOLUTLY the best story I have read on here to this date. The reason I say the BEST, is you have hit the nail on the head. you actually brought tears to my eyes. for you see I was there..... and like in your story I did lose my best friend there. from mortar fire. it was in the middle of the night when everybody was down for the night. You have know idea how close this story is and not just for me, but I'm sure for quite a few other readers. Thank you so f@$#king much for your real description of how an awful lot of returning vets were treated when they came back. This is going down as my absloutly my best story category. 5 stars to you to bad we couldn't give more.

sinsational83sinsational83almost 8 years ago
ADDITION

Just so you know I saw a therapist for a year and a half.

dojdojalmost 8 years ago
Great

I really enjoyed the story, but being from England and in my teens when it all started I never understood the Vietnam war but this story explains a lot about what happened to those who returned went through. thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
22 a day

I read recently that 22 veterans a day are committing suicide. So even the welcome home isn't enough. The VA sucks at their job and incompetence is rewarded rather than punished. Remember how you always had that special bud that got you through the rough times and had your back? Those of us that have been there and done that need to help these kids and their families now. We veterans need to stick together and tell all these other pukes to eat sh1t and die.

'Nam 68-69

katranmankatranmanalmost 8 years ago
Superb

Thank you for the excellent story. Simply outstanding! *****

wheelzCOwheelzCOalmost 8 years ago
Wonderful

This was a really good story that captured the essence of the aftermath of the Vietnam war. I was in the service at that time and was disappointed and disgusted by the treatment returning solders received. I know firsthand what PTSD is and how hard it is to deal with. I am so glad that the general population got it right starting with the war in Iraq.

TheKrrakTheKrrakalmost 8 years ago
Fantastic rendering

Slirpuff, once again your skills as a writer brought me to desperate lows and fantastic highs. Thanks for your words.

5/5

Richie4110Richie4110almost 8 years ago
Superb!

Heart felt, insightful, honest, thorough.

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Way too easy . . .

to love. How many 5's can you give from proxy sites before they catch on? Guess we'll find out.

This was not incredible writing, or wit, or imagination. This was down to earth real story telling about simple people who confronted a very common but complex problem and pushed through it to live a healthy happy marriage and family. Both of your main characters did a WHOLE LOT of accepting what life brought them and dealing with it with a very specific goal in mind: what is the right thing to do for myself and the people who deserve my love and respect. Becky was of course the main warrior here, fighting for her daughter's future, her own life, and warring with a husband who had become a monster. Becky was ready to do whatever it took to win that fight, including or excluding her lost husband. Fortunately for Steve he found the real enemy, defeated him, and returned to his wife and daughter before they were gone forever. You did a good job of describing the long painful road back to a marriage and a family that too often is never recouped in real life. It is a sad reality that too many of us know this story with a much sadder, often tragic, ending. Thanks for giving us a happy ending.

You included a few things that can only be appreciated upon further reflection. The empty nesters fucking their older but still functional brains out brought a smile to my face, because we are still taking advantage of that silver lining to the cloud of the children leaving home. Your having Becky acknowledge that Jerry was as good as or better fuck than Steve was a subtle but powerful point that she chose Steve over Jerry for the whole package. If Becky really thought Jerry was the better man Steve never would have had a chance. I suspect Becky helped Steve learn whatever Jerry was doing better. And to be honest, do any of us really remember how good a fuck somebody else was 30 or 40 years ago after being exclusive and faithful with the same partner? Who would you rather be in this story, Jerry, or Steve? I suspect Becky screaming her orgasmic delight on top of the kitchen island with Steve's cock buried in her pussy trumps any memory she might have, or think she has, of fucking Jerry, how many years ago. What Steve and Becky has is way more substantial and meaningful than who has the bigger cock. A point most often ignored or denied in LW stories. And excuse me for even comparing this work of literature to the pathetic scrawling usually found here.

There's more good things to say about this writing, but I think you can tell this commenter likes and appreciates what you created here.

Thank You.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Fantastic

It was a treat to read this and I hope it will make at least a few members of all forces realize that a lot of people regard them with honor and admiration.

Great job

MattblackUKMattblackUKalmost 8 years ago
Another first rate, five star story from you

You are one of our best authors on Literotica.

Rockyderek_caRockyderek_caalmost 8 years ago
5 !

Super tale of family courage!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Thanks

You brought a lot out and helped with getting help for me and family.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Great story

But I echo others in that the late night phone call of Becky's, and her being dishonest about it, bothered me. It should either have been somehow addressed (then or later,) or dropped from the tale entirely, because as it is, it takes away rather than adds to the story.

That niggle aside, wonderful stuff. Thanks for the quality read.

Cog

gatorhermitgatorhermitalmost 8 years ago
Five Stars are Not Enough for This Story

A lot of dust in the air this morning. Thank you SP for this story. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Thank You

Three tours in RVN. Cost me part of my sanity, a wife and a child. Unlike your story, I didn't get them back. It took me until the age of 35 to get past it and grow up. A second wife who gave me unconditional love and support was my support group. A meaningful story, strangely found in an unexpected place. For those who have never been there, this story is what it was and is like.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Well done

Reminds me of my own struggles. Thank you for bringing these emotions to the forefront. Well done. I know others who can benefit from the honesty and emotions in your story. SF VET

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
"Hoorah"

Quoting NCIS Gibbs. Class 71

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
I wonder

Have all these people that are praising this guy saw that comment earlier about him being a racist? I read that story A matter of color. This guy is a huge racist. I wonder if all these people who fought alongside black soldiers and had them watch their backs know what a racist author this guy is? My life was saved by a black medic. I'll never read another of this author's stories. Lost all respect after reading that story. I guess he deleted the comment because I don't see it anymore. I guess racists don't like you pulling off the Klan hood.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
this presentation (both of them)

there is no way to rate this as HIGH as it should be starred. I was one of the lucky ones that had the stars and moon in the sky properly aligned. First MOS was 101, then artillery, then chief of communications... then out but called to see if I wanted to come back to attend helio pilot school... I have friends that still today fight this war on a daily basis... and say When will it ever end.... Thanks to each and every one of you....5 big stars

ejsathomeejsathomealmost 8 years ago
Incredibly moving story . . .

. . . speechless. 1,000 stars (and stripes). So many out there who deserve our eternal thanks. Beautiful story in an unusual and unexpected place. Thank you very, very much.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
WOW

I just recently spent time with a Vietnam vet who served two tours of duty there. He shared some stories with me that usually never see the light of day. This story really opened the doors to the inner hell our veterans of foreign wars live with each and every day. Thanks for sharing.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 8 years ago
Oh Man

What a tremendous tale. These two chapters have shown us that if love is still there all problems can be overcome. No, not everyone can make it but it's nice to read once in a while about a family who did.

Five Big Stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Worth the time and effort to read on any day...

...but especially in this day when we thank and honor our returning warriors. What a shame our boys took the brunt of the awful political angst brought on us by stupid, short-sighted, self interested politicians and the reactions of the stupid, short-sighted, self interested protesters. Amy Madigan said it best as Annie Kinsella in Field of Dreams, "Terence Mann was a voice of reason during a time of great madness."

The Cherokee and several other indigenous peoples are usually led into war by those that declare it.

I think nothing less should be required of our law-makers, leaders and bureaucrats.

I also like the Swiss military model....all able bodied men and women go through basic training after high-school and are required to participate in annual "refresher training" at summer camps and/or winter camps, through to late adulthood.

They return home from basic with their uniforms field kit and weapons....usually a rifle, with the addition of a handgun for certain specialities and grades. The entire country, save those physically/mentally/emotionally incapable of completing the requirements, are prepared to uniform-up and go fight, if necessary. They enjoy one of the lowest crime rates per capita anywhere.

They have their problems, too, but almost everybody has military training....and military personnel returning from war or battle are honored and treated as heroes. Of course, being Switzerland, their dogged neutrality keeps them out of the global political interferences engaged in by the "world powers".

Now, things may have changed somewhat since the 70's when all this was explained to me by our Swiss foreign exchange student in high-school....or again in the late 80's when one of my intern-exchange staff members was a Swiss national, that we had to release for a month, so she could return home to complete her summer camp training requirement.

But that's how it was then. I've neither seen nor heard anything contrary, since.

In any event, I think it's a better way....one that this nation's volunteer army and general national health could benefit.

Thank you for your perspective and relation of some...perhaps amalgamated, but realistically-toned expressions. I even liked most of the characters. They seemed more like real people than most stories here manage.

Again, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Great story

Just wanted to thank you for sharing. I've always enjoyed reading your tales. This one especially. I am a vet as well with over 22 years in the active and reserve navy. Thankfully I never experienced the disdain and cruelty our Vietnam vets did. I've heard stories from other Vietnam vets of the poor treatment they received upon returning home and I don't know how those asshat protestors live with themselves. To any Vietnam vets reading these comments I want to sincerely thank you for your service and and give you a heartfelt welcome home!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Fantastic Story

Great tale of what our veterans can go through in service to our country. But I will have to agree and echo what others said about her late night phone call about Jerry. What she said was hurtful for him to hear. I was surprised it was not addressed and feel it should have been.

Was it an oversight?

Still loved it!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Great story

Thank you. You tale brought back many memories. Thanks for writing and sharing.

ontheroadforeverontheroadforeveralmost 8 years ago
The Only Comment A Soldier would say...

OUTSTANDING! My friend, you have written an outstanding story, one that brought this old soldier to tears. It was pretty damn honest, from what I know about vets. I've seen many of these kids come home pretty messed up. I also know some Vietnam vets that had a really rough time also. You showed the ugliness, the weakness and the strength to change. I am appreciative of it...thank you.

rightbankrightbankalmost 8 years ago
A long journey

Some arrive back physically but never really return home.

Parts were difficult to read because of the emotions that were dredged up to the surface. But I thank you for writing this story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Been There and Back

A very nice story...much of it mirrors my experiences...and it is true you never forget. And we can never forget the love and patience we received from our loved ones...it may have been rough being there but it was also very rough for my wife KNOWING what was happening in general but never exactly KNOWING what was happening to me. I can't imagine the stress she was under every time the phone or door bell rang. And while I thought I did a great job of fooling her that I was safe and not worried in the least...HA!!!...women are so much smarter then men...because she read me like a book and yes..she convinced me that while she missed me dearly...she was doing just fine at home and not to worry...HA again!..Maybe women are just more clever than men?

Thanks for the story it was a great read and I look forward to your next tale!

"Buckeye Fan"

crevecoeurranchcrevecoeurranchalmost 8 years ago
Wait till your old!

Two tours in viet nam, came back in 10/ 67 I fought ptsd Hard,did not know what wrong with me, drank ALOT, 1971 got married, two sons, I thought I had it beat...Not so fast my friend, turned 64 and the shit house fell in... Whisky, drugs from the VA(their a fucking joke) docs visits, write and write,, all the shit you have in the story plus a lot other stuff..I let my wife (45 years) read this, it helped her understand better..Just watch out its NEVER over. and you`ll fight it the rest of your life.. It makes you what you are..

overthehillmedicoverthehillmedicalmost 8 years ago
Thank you

You never know what we went through even if you listen to the stories. Unless you were there I was lucky I came back in one piece but I know I am not the same person my first wife married. I was lucky to not have had kids to push through the divorce I had. Thank you for your story!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago

this story reminds me of when i came home in 71 and a woman spit on my uniform,a cop that was near by stopped the woman ,another person came up to me and wiped the spit off my uniform

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333almost 8 years ago
Loved it

Five stars. This was definitely a tear jerker.

CarnilliaCarnilliaalmost 8 years ago
One of the bests

Without a doubt one of the bests stories you have written. No unnecesary twits, no unbelievables characters or reactions. No black or whites. Only shads of greys, like reality. Thumbs up!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Wow

From a father of two soldiers, wow.

goalie52goalie52almost 8 years ago
THANK YOU!

A well deserved tribute to the men and families who watched them go into harms way and came back not as they left. A toast of mine: To those of you who have served...to those of you who are serving....to those of you shall serve....to the all who gave some....to the some who gave all...and just as important to the moms, dads, wives, the husbands, the sons, the daughters who have sent their loved ones into harms way....God Bless You All and thank you for your service and sacrifices

Freddog6601Freddog6601almost 8 years ago
A story that needed to be told

Thanks for the story and the perspective it was told from.

herbie77herbie77almost 8 years ago
Excellent story

Very realistic characters and a very dramatic, very tragic but very believable story.

I was often in tears as I read it, having met so many vets from the Vietnam war.

It put many things in perspective, and even though I protested against the war, I never had any animosity towards the soldiers, the majority of whom were drafted to go and fight.

Thanks for this wonderful story

SampkyangSampkyangover 7 years ago
Thank You! And Your Welcome

My life was a mess {long story} , what the hay I joined the military as an older guy (28). I NEVER felt anything except a waste of time to be associated with anything military. But I was between a rock and a hard place. I had two uncles with many years of military time and did well, sooooo what the hell I signed up. What the hell have I done to my self! THAT was what everyone felt during basic training. But it got better and we became a team. When someone has your back and you have theirs then you understand it's not about you any more, but the need to protect each other. I lost a patient that I thought I saved so I cry everyday yep ptsd sure does hurt so bad...

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Tons of Me,ories

It reminds me of an earlier time - Korea. We lost a lot of good people for another stalemate. Not many Well Dones for that either.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Thanks For The Memories

Some good, some not so good. I have friends who went through the "protesters at the airport" ordeal. I was lucky in that sense, I guess, I came home from Nam both times aboard a military medivac plane. Landed at Travis AFB, no civilians, no protesters, no problems. Of course twenty years later when the PTSD kicked in full

blast there were lots of problems. I hope people who read this can have a better understanding of what it was like for us, Vietnam vets, especially the combat vets,

when we came home.

One little nit-picking point, if I may. In the Marine Corps, squad leader is NOT a billet

for a Staff Sergeant. It's normally a position filled by a Corporal, E4. I have seen a few Lance Corporals (E3) take the position when necessity dictated, and even a PFC

(E2), once. In dire straits, someone always steps up to fill the slot, but I have Never seen a Staff Sergeant step down to take it. Especially in a peacetime situation.

As I said before, damn good story. Semper Fi!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Thanks

It took me thirty-five years to say the word Viet Nam...but I thought about it every day and still do.

Thanks for the story...I teared up several times.

Semper Fi.

DicktwatDicktwatover 7 years ago
Best

Best story i have read here so far....

BillandKateBillandKateover 7 years ago
Great Story

Well written.

We'd like to thank all those who have served, especially those of you that served in Vietnam. Many of us that were alive during that war understand your frustration, but honor how you performed your duty.

Bill & Kate

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Her dishonesty bothers me

Loved the story and your writing is great. But I am really bothered (probably because the characters seem SO real) with her 1) telling whoever was on the phone that Steve was not the lover that Jerry was and she "thought" he was the one wanted and 2) particularly, her lying about the conversation. That 1) disrespect/breach and 2) dishonesty with Steve really, really troubles me. And the fact that he accepts this just does not ring true. Is he really so guilt-ridden that he will not question it? I would really appreciate Slirpuff's thoughts on the matter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
I hate almost everything you write

I read this on a whim and am glad I did. So much better than the RAAC shit you generally write.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Never welcomed back.

I was one of the troops that returned in 1969, I saw the damage that Vietnam done to me and others, I tried to drown in the bottle and almost made it. I really connected with this story and still have bad dreams. It did not hit me until I came into the airports in Calif, and was on the recieving end of the nasty comments and actions of the people there. Now the people telling me that they wanted to thank me for my service, I know that this is just an act to soothe their own mind. I will never forgive the public for their actions against the returning troops from Vietnam. May you suffer in hell, just like we have.

Alaska84Alaska84over 7 years ago

Starting in 1966 I served 26 years in the USAF. I escorted several of my friends remains home from Southeast Asia. thank you for sharing your story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
2 YEARS I WAS IN THAT HELL HOLE

Story is a Romantic Story! Please I joke about the comments it is a way to take my mind off things! What sticks in my claw is those Fucken Drugged up so called"The Movement " gutless excuse of human flesh. We were sent into harms way and I like to make it clear we killed NO CHILDREN"N.V.A. Did. They are spores of Satan. Please Forgive an old tired Dog . Also the story is Fantasti. Love you all! GREG. OH 100 % OF READING ENJOYMENT BYE.

PEATBOGPEATBOGabout 7 years ago
Another great story....../

Some people still can't believe/see the truth. I have lived through all the conflicts including WWII and feel that we can never truly thank for their service those who served. Slirpuff you continue to boldly go..../ despite crappy criticism.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
great story, but the phone call bothers me

I'm a man and I know that if I overheard that conversation where she said that Jerry was better in bed then Steve, and that she liked being in control. When it comes to such things as the ability to please and fulfil the woman he loves sexually it destroys his self worth, when heard her say Jerry was a better lover. You don't forget that statement, it will eat at you every time you go to make love to her,you will hear those words, you will be thinking is she remembering how much better Jerry was. It is a very good story, but that phone conversation ruined the ending for me, no man can compete, or compete with a past lover that he has hear bested him. He recovered fought and defeated his demons, now get a lawyer start paying child support get visitation rights, and let her be with Jerry. Just one more observation many of the authors on this site have the wife having the best fuck of her life with someone other then her husband, so why is she so bent out if shape when he divorces her? you would think she'd be happy with all that good fucking coming her way. I'm not saying, just saying

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
thanks

this was the best. i thank all the ppl who went to war and came back and the ones who never came back no matter from what country.you all will never be forgot

josephpauljosephpaulabout 7 years ago

one of the best i have read ever. thankyou so much.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Vetnam

It would have been better that the American public took out their ire on the government who sent the troops to that ill fated war and welcomed the returning soldiers with a warm welcome for doing their duty.

5 stars for a great story.

StormKing33StormKing33almost 7 years ago
5* H.U.A.

I remember all too well how some of Vet friends and me got through it.

Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
So a potentially huge issue was ignored

The overheard phone call comparing Jerry and Steve as well as not wanting to give up control was completely ignored. Also ignored was the fact that she lied about the conversation. This goes against their communication resolution. Seems to me this would continue to be a large thorn in the relationship.

The story was good except for this issue.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous