New England Triad Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"In the past I've been The Other Woman who further complicated a couple's already rocky marriage. This is the first time I've been The Other Woman who complicated a couple's good marriage. Both of us are in new territory here--probably all three of us. Let's hope we can make it work. I don't know if that's possible, but I want it to work. Maybe there's a way. Let's try."

"It can work, Beth. Dare I say, Credo quia absurdum?"

"Don't," she said with a little smile. "It touched off enough trouble the first time you said it."

"It was you who said it."

"Next time I'll know better."

************

Beth and I dressed, assembled our gear, and readied the bikes. We gave each other significant looks aplenty, and smiles too, but neither of us felt like talking now, here in the land behind the garage. It was almost as though we believed there really was a Goddess and felt she was still present and there was something a bit sacred about this ground--dumpster and all.

Half-believing in the Goddess was no crazier than what we had actually, truly, demonstrably done, I reasoned. Reasoned? There I go again, slipping back into old bad habits. This afternoon was 'way beyond reason. Thank you, Goddess, for this wonderful gift.

I tossed Beth's punctured inner tube into the dumpster but kept the spent CO2 cartridges. I should wrap one up and give it to her later. She would appreciate the symbolism. Do they still make charm bracelets?

We wheeled the bikes out front to the street, and the spell drifted away. Now we could talk about routes and distances and other mundane matters.

Beth had planned a long, circuitous ride: further westward on the trail to Bolton or even Manchester, then by road, zigzagging east and south to her home in Hebron. Another 25 or 30 miles for her. We could ride together for about half of it. But the day was getting late, and we had both been through a lot. It was time to get home.

She could pick up Wall Street just down Route 6 and take that south, straight into Hebron. That would get her home in about twelve miles. The drawback was a long, killer uphill in the middle: an 11% grade, the signs warned. Beth probably could have climbed it with aplomb on her featherweight Bianchi, standing on the pedals the whole while. But now she had a heavier bike and an injured back. She decided to give it a try anyway.

"If I can't make it up the hill, I'll just get off and walk the bike to the top," she said. "It won't be the first time I've done that. What will be the first time is biking twelve miles with my lover's semen soaking into my chamois. I'll let you know how that works out."

My lover's: I could get used to hearing that. I squeezed her hand. "Many firsts today, Beth. 'Thank you' sounds 'way too trivial for what happened, but... thank you. Ride safe. 'Next time, let's do this properly.'"

"We did it properly this time too, Stephen."

"Yes we did. Now off with you."

She smiled and blew me a kiss. Turned east on Route 6 then south on Wall, crossed under the covered bridge and was gone. I crossed the street then walked my bike up the diagonal path back to the rail trail. I pointed the bike west and started off. I had another couple hours' ride ahead of me. That would give me some time to think about what to do next.

"Never underestimate a middle-aged woman," Dad had said. Well, maybe 35 isn't middle-aged quite yet, but never underestimate one of them either. Let alone two of them. Much as he loved Ann, I'm sure Dad, disciple of the Sexual Revolution and human-powered transport, would have understood what happened today.

The late sixties would have understood.... Jefferson Airplane, Dad's favorite... Grace Slick's hauntingly beautiful voice: "I don't really see... why can't we go on as three." Seven stressed syllables in a row. Credo quia absurdum: also seven. Tertullian caught on to something a bit before I did; Beth too. The old man rang the bell for us. Beth and I, for whom the bell tolls. When the Goddess speaks, who am I to argue? And how the hell do I tell this story to Ann?