All Comments on 'New York Taxi Driving Tales Ch. 03'

by gunhilltrain

Sort by:
  • 2 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Wonderful!

The only transportation worse than a cab in the 1970’s was the subway. I’m not sure which was grimier, the subway tunnel or the car interiors. I remember one lovely ride on the East Side line in which it seemed there wasn’t one round wheel on the train. It was like riding a bucking bronco, with more than one person launched out of the seat and onto the unbelievably filthy floor.

All that said, by the time I could afford the occasional cab, it seemed a rare treat to ride in a Checker.

Thanks.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainalmost 4 years agoAuthor
I remember the subway

They were so noisy I probably lost some of my hearing riding them. A lot of the cars had no air-conditioning, so the windows and end doors were open in warm weather, adding to the din. They're still pretty loud if you are standing at a station and an express train comes through. And there are still a number of stations that have never been renovated.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usergunhilltrain@gunhilltrain
Time and place matter I suppose. At present I'm between the Metro-North (formerly New York Central) Harlem Division and the NYC Transit Authority's #2 train line. Thus I'm on both the wrong side and the right side of the tracks at the same time. Anyway, for me the Midnight Sp...