Nic in the Nick

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I already told you I want to die." Andy said calmly. "As for giving the names to the police, many of the names are police, senior ones."

"But you can't just let it go." Joel said. "This is a matter of justice." He was shocked to think that corrupt police were going to get away with it.

"I won't let it go, believe me." Andy said. He looked directly at Joel. "Can I trust you?" He asked.

"Of course." Joel was not offended he had to answer the question, this guy had obviously been through a lot.

"I want your word that what I tell you now will go no further than this office until my execution is done." Andy said, staring at Joel and almost daring him to try and lie.

"I can't promise that." Joel said. "You could tell me anything, an assassination attempt..."

"All right," Andy sighed, "will you promise to keep any information about Blain and his corrupt mates to yourself until I die?"

"I give you my word." Joel said. Andy believed him.

"If you ring Geoff Grimm, he's a solicitor in the local book, and tell him you represent client 47631 he will ask you for an address. Give him a safe address and he will mail a video. Watch that and then we can discuss this more. Don't forget, don't say anything to anyone and don't show the video to anyone else."

"OK." Joel said. He pressed a button and the two guards came back in and took Andy back to his cell. Joe waited until the door shut and picked up the phone book.

Three days later Andy was back in the same chair facing Joel again.

"You really made him suffer." Joel said, with a touch of disapproval.

"Yes," Andy answered cheerfully, "And how much do you think he made others suffer?"

"Mmmm." Joel did not approve, but going by the names mentioned he could understand that the course Andy had taken was the only one that would have worked. "What have you done to ensure this tape gets out to the right people?"

Andy answered carefully. "When I die there are copies going to Federal and State internal investigation departments, and the DA. Two weeks later there are tapes going to some politicians that might be trustworthy and another 4 weeks later the media gets it, all forms and international as well as local."

Joel was impressed. "Even after he's dead you still want to stitch him up don't you?"

"Oh yes." Andy smiled at the thought.

"You have my word again that I won't interfere, but I don't look forward to your execution, I'm going to feel guilty I didn't do anything to try and stop it." Joel said with sincerity.

"I told you I want this." Andy said. "I want to find Amanda before she gets too far ahead of me."

Joel lifted an eyebrow. "Religion?" He asked.

Andy smiled. "No, just philosophy."

Joel said to Andy "You're helping out some others at the moment, is that philosophy too?"

"Yes," Andy replied, "and also some non judgmental sympathy coupled with sympathy for victims."

"I'm impressed, whatever it is." Joel said, "If there was something I could do for you in the time you have remaining, what would it be?"

"The impossible I'm afraid," Andy said with a rueful smile, "I'd like another night with Amanda, or even Nicole Bonham, she looks exactly like Amanda you know, and it was that likeness that attracted Blain's attention."

They both laughed, maybe a little nervously.

"Well, if you think of anything..." Joel started.

"I'll let you know." Andy finished.

The sessions between Joel and Andy became weekly events that both men looked forward to. They discussed the guys next due for the walk to the execution chamber and often pooled their abilities to try and make these men accept the position with some dignity. Some responded, some didn't.

Joel kept thinking about what he considered to be Andy's last request, and one day he spent some time and put pen to paper. You never know, he thought.

Then came the day Joel dreaded. Andy was brought in and Joel just looked at him for a while, not knowing how to say the words.

"They've set a date, haven't they?" Andy asked summing up Joel's unusual attitude.

"Yes." Joel answered quietly.

"When is it?" Andy asked. "How long do I have to wait?"

"April twenty five." Joel said. "You've got two months." Joel thought to himself, how will Andy take this? He says he wants it but will the reality be too much to bear? I've seen it too often, I need to get out of this job.

Andy smiled broadly. At last, I've felt like I'm living in limbo here with no date set. Thanks Joel."

Joel felt awkward. "Are you sure you don't want me to do anything with that tape? I could help you know."

Andy smiled again. "No Joel, you need to keep that promise. I am looking forward to this." Andy could see how uncomfortable Joel was. "Joel," Andy said, "I can see this upsets you. Let's cut this session short and talk next week when we've both got used to the idea."

Joel felt his weakness had been exposed, but he knew Andy was right. "OK." He said and pushed the button.

Chapter 12 – Queen of the set.

Nicole Bonham was in her trailer, in between scenes. They were filming a "Lawrence Of Arabia" type movie and she was the daughter of the scientist and the love interest of the hero. It was far too hot on location in the Arizona desert and she was not enjoying herself. Steve Sweet, the latest Hollywood heartthrob, played the hero of the movie. Nicole had discovered within about thirty seconds of meeting him that Steve Sweet was a complete idiot who loved himself more than anything else in the world.

Pierre burst into the trailer. Pierre was her manager and he always made an entrance, he never just came in and he never knocked.

"What is the matter mon cherie?" Pierre asked wringing his hands theatrically. "You agreed to do this movie, oui?"

"You men are all the same." Nicole screamed at him. "He knew it was the love scene today but did that stop him eating enough garlic to kill a vampire last night?"

Pierre stepped back, stunned by the ferocity of the attack.

"So now I'm expected to look like I'm enjoying kissing a man who reeks while everyone else stands back and laughs at me. I won't do it." Nicole was close to breaking down.

"But..." Pierre tried to say something but Nicole was on a roll.

"Do you know why he went out and ate garlic last night?" She asked. Pierre shrugged. "Because I refused to practice the sex scene with him. He wanted to know what it was like to love me for real, that's what he said anyway."

"Cherie..." Pierre tried to interject again.

"Don't you start with the French crap again, I'm sick of it." Nicole told Pierre. "Your name is Peter and you were born in Brooklyn to Irish American Parents. The closest thing to French with you is the those quiet meetings with the director in his trailer late at night."

"But..." Pierre was fighting a losing battle to get a few words in here.

"So you go and tell your good friend the director that if he can kiss Steve Sweet for five minutes I'll do the scene. Otherwise we can all wait and see if it is better tomorrow."

"But the movie..." Pierre tried again.

"Is a piece of shit that will most likely go straight to video." Nicole said. "Do you think anyone with any idea of what is going on in the Middle East today is going to be interested in swords and camels? All they have to do is turn on CNN and they get machine guns, bombs and tanks."

"Look, Nicole..." Pierre was trying desperately to be conciliatory.

"I don't need this movie, it needs me." Nicole said firmly. "Now get out I'm going to lie here naked and read some fan letters.

Nicole watched him leave, beaten. She wouldn't get naked and have all the lechers on the shoot trying to peer through her curtains but at least the threat might make him knock next time. She would look at some letters, sometimes you just need to feel appreciated she thought.

An hour or so later Nicole opened the letter from Joel Simpson. She read its contents and was just about to discard it as yet another fake but there was a certain air of authenticity to it. There was a phone number for the prison so she dialed it on her cell phone.

The man who answered identified the prison. Nicole asked what position Joel Simpson held in the prison, she knew many fans liked to use titles they were not entitled to, to make themselves look important. She got the right answer and asked to speak to him.

"Who may I say is calling and what is it in regard to?" The voice asked.

"This is Nicole Bonham and I calling in regard to his letter." Nicole replied.

After a moment of stunned silence the voice on the other end asked, "The Nicole Bonham?"

Nicole smiled, she was used to this sort of reaction. "I'm the only one I know." She answered with a touch of a smile in her voice.

"I'm a... I love your... I'll get the boss." The flustered voice told her.

Nicole waited for a minute or so, smiling at the familiar reaction then another voice came on the line.

"Simpson." The deep, masculine voice said.

"Mister Simpson, this is Nicole Bonham, I am ringing in regard to your letter."

A moments silence, then, "Ms Bonham, thanks for taking the time to call. If you have read my letter you will know I normally would not do something like this but this case is um... different. I assume you have questions?"

Nicole liked the voice and the man's no nonsense attitude, no fawning or come on.

"I have plenty," she replied in a friendly voice, "but first, please call me Nicole, Ms makes me feel like a bee with a lisp."

The man laughed. "That would be a pleasure, I always feel awkward using Miss Mrs or Ms as some people get offended if you get it wrong. By the way, I'm Joel."

Nicole laughed too. "Not Bart or Homer?"

Joel said, "My staff call me Homer and they think I don't know, but you've got to let them have some fun."

Nicole liked Joel's approach and decided to be candid. "Joel," she said seriously, "I get a lot of mail with some very unusual offers and requests." She waited for a second but he didn't interrupt. "This one has me intrigued. If I understand it correctly this man wants to meet me so he can fantasize that I am his late wife?"

"That's right," Joel said, "She was the very image of you, and I have seen pictures to prove this, but she was abducted and murdered by a man who was trying to live a fantasy about you. Andy killed him and is now due to be executed in five weeks himself."

"He is sane?" Nicole asked.

"More sane than me, more sane than most of us." Joel answered with conviction.

"I'm fascinated." Nicole said. "What exactly does he want from me?"

"I asked him what I could do for him," Joel said carefully, "and his reply was "The impossible. Another night with Amanda, or even Nicole Bonham, she looks just like her." What I would like is for you to meet him and talk about his wife. She is the reason he wants to die, he wants to catch up with her. Those are his own words."

"The man he killed was Blain Fury right?" Nicole asked, dreading the answer.

"That's right," Joel answered, "did you know him?"

Nicole thought about all the expensive gifts she had returned, the invitations she had ignored and the security she had had to employ to stop his advances.

"I know of him, but never met him." She said. "I'm sort of glad now."

"He does not sound like a nice person." Joel agreed.

"The execution is in five weeks?" Nicole asked.

"The twenty fifth." Joel answered.

"I'm on location now, but I might be back in time." I'll get my people to set something up OK?"

"Nicole that would be fantastic. I won't say anything to Andy unless it is confirmed OK? I would hate to get his hopes up for nothing." Joel replied.

"OK". Nicole disconnected. This guy really cares about a condemned man, Nicole thought. A man whose wife was murdered, just because I refused to see some asshole and he took it out on her. Nicole thought of her own problems, minor in comparison, and came to a decision. She would do her best to at least see this guy and talk to him, it was, after all, the least she could do.

Pierre was flirting with the director again, and had almost convinced him to call off the shoot in favor of a different kind when Nicole strode purposely up to Steve Sweet.

"OK stinky," she said, and those in earshot gasped and moved subtly closer, "you and I have a love scene to shoot. I'm going to suck those smelly tonsils right out because I am an actor and I can make even as unpleasant a job as this look like I enjoy it." The audience moved closer as she took a breath. "But get this straight pretty boy," more gasps from the group around them "if you put just one little finger out of place I'm going to make sure you can't walk for a week, because this is a job, not pleasure, and I would rather fuck my dog than you, at least he's got more personality."

Nicole walked to the set.

Steve Sweet turned to his manager.

"She can't say that to me." He said.

"I think you'll find she just did." Was the reply. "Now I'm glad it's you that's going to kiss her."

The movie resumed, and with Nicole suddenly cracking the whip shooting advanced at an exceptional pace.

Chapter 13 – Countdown.

Joel wasn't enjoying his sessions with Andy as much any more. This was to be expected, thought Joel, as he waited for Andy to be brought to him. Two days to go then it's over so please just let me survive this. Then he smiled grimly at the wording of his thoughts, it was Andy who... damn it think of something else. It just didn't work to get too close to someone who you were going to eventually have to execute. Joel usually thought of his inmates as numbers and usually tried to remember them by the horrific acts they had done to warrant being here in the first place. But Andy had got under his skin by being so nice.

Damn it, thought Joel, I am getting out of this job as soon as possible. He reflected how he went from a simple detectives job in the metropolitan police to being a warden. The first advantage had been the money, and man had he needed the money with Audrey as his wife. She was high maintenance, but gorgeous. Hairdresser every week, manicure, pedicure, gym memberships, new clothes, new shoes, new makeup, new car, tennis lessons, elocution training and god knows what else. They had been married for five years and Joel had been happy with the beautiful, life of the party, wife. Then Joel had busted a petty dealer, Frank Watts, with a trunk half full of cocaine. He went down for twenty years and the stuff was destroyed. Soon after the bust Audrey started going off tap, wanting even more money, selling their things and Joel finally found out Frank had been her dealer and she paid for her habit with sex. Sex with Frank, sex with Frank's pals, sex with people Frank owed money to. Audrey had finally left their home when Joel closed the wallet on her and last he heard she was hooking to feed the habit and using more to blunt the pain of hooking. Joel had stopped feeling sorry for her now, the woman he had married was dead as far as he was concerned.

The second advantage to Joel's change of career was the corruption. Joel had worked with some of the cops mentioned on Andy's tape and the pressure to join them in their schemes was immense. They worked on the principal that if you were dirty too you wouldn't turn grass so easily. Joel could not bring himself to do it so he was always on the outer. But now, he thought, with the tape being so widely circulated some heads were going to have to roll.

Both reasons gone, time to move on to something less stressful. Like security, or body guarding, or private investigations maybe?

The phone rang, startling Joel out of his thoughts.

"Simpson." He said.

"Homer right, but don't tell anyone." Followed by a giggle.

"Nicole?" Joel asked, recognizing the voice. He was thinking this is a bit late two days before the execution.

"I'm sorry it's so late, we just finished filming, what's the situation?" Nicole asked, serious now.

Joel shivered. "The day after tomorrow, eight in the morning, I'm afraid."

"Damn." Nicole paused to think. "This guy is really one of the good ones?"

"The best." Joel said bluntly.

"You would like me there?" Nicole asked anxiously.

"Nicole," Joel said firmly, "if there is any way you can get here and see him it would help me get through what might just be the worst execution I had ever been involved in."

"Really?" Nicole's interest was aroused. "Why?"

Joel continued as if he hadn't heard her. "But more important is the fact that Andy will be more ready for his, um... time." Joel's voice cracked a bit at the end.

Nicole thought for just a second. "I just need to talk to him?"

"I think that would help." Joel replied.

'We're pretty remote here and I don't think I can get to the airport tonight," Nicole was half talking to herself, thinking out loud, "let's see, off at daylight, drive, flight, across town to you..." There was a moment of silence before Nicole said, "I don't think I can make it before mid afternoon tomorrow Joel, will that be OK?"

"To be quite honest, any time would work, even later if necessary." Joel replied.

"You know, I am quite looking forward to hearing about Amanda, who she was and what she liked." Nicole said, "Um, you will be there at the meeting Joel?" She sounded nervous.

"If you want." Joel said comfortingly.

"I want, and I will make it somehow." Nicole said firmly.

"See you then." Joel said, and put the phone down.

Ten minutes later Andy was brought in. He saw Joel looked happier than the last couple of times.

"Hey Joel," Andy said cheerfully, "what's going on?"

Joel looked at Andy, wondering how he could be so cheerful with such a short amount of time yet.

"Andy," Joel said, "I do have a bit of a surprise for you."

Andy's smile disappeared. "This had better not be a reprieve, you know my thoughts."

"No Andy," Joel told him, "it's not a reprieve."

"So let me guess," Andy said, "Caviar and champagne?"

"No." Joel had to smile.

"Chips and bourbon?" Andy said, also smiling.

"No." Joel replied.

"Peanuts and beer?" Andy asked.

Joel enjoyed the banter, but thought this news could not wait any longer.

"You will have a visitor late tomorrow." He told Andy.

Andy's grin fell again.

"I don't need any more visitors, it's hard enough talking to Eric when he comes in." He looked straight into Joel's eyes. "Forget it, I'm not interested."

Joel was taken back a bit, but still thought he had the trump card.

"You haven't asked who it is." He said quietly.

"I don't care if it's the President," Andy said firmly, "I don't want any visitors."

"It's not the President," Joel said, "it's Nicole Bonham."

Andy stopped and thought.

"I said I wanted one more night with Amanda, didn't I?" He asked.

"Uh huh." Joel agreed.

"Or if not Amanda then Nicole Bonham because she looks like her?"

"Uh huh." Joel agreed again.

"And you've managed to arrange for Nicole to come in and see me?" Andy was speaking slowly, carefully.

"That's right." Joel said triumphantly.

"That cannot have been easy." Andy said.

"It wasn't." Joel replied.

"Shit." Andy was not happy and didn't know what to say.

"What's the matter?" Joel asked.

"I didn't mean it Joel," Andy said quietly, "I was just joking."

"Shit." Joel realized he had made a mistake.

"Cancel it Joel," Andy pleaded, "just call it off."

"I can't Andy," Joel said, "she's somewhere in Arizona and is getting the first flight tomorrow. I don't even have a number for her."

They looked at each other for a minute.

"Joel?"

"Yes?"

"Can you please be at the meeting?" Andy asked.

"Certainly." Joel answered.

"You've obviously gone to a lot of effort to arrange this, she's obviously put herself out to arrange it, I'd be a prick to cancel it now." Andy stopped for a moment to arrange his thoughts and feelings. "We go ahead and I'll make the best of it, just don't expect me to be too enthusiastic, right?"

1...45678...10