Nigkala Tales Pt. 14: The Heights of Ecstasy

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When I sighted the camp, I said, "Lead me to where you want me to put him down."

"Huh? Okay." He rushed over to the tent with a red cross, reached in and pulled out a tarp and spread it out on the flat place in front of it.

I went there and carefully placed Raphe on it. I walked to the far edge of the tarp and took my backpack off and laid it on the ground. Then I sat down on the edge of the tarp and closed my eyes. "I'll rest here for a while."

Further examination revealed Raphe was in more pain than before. Edmund called over the head Sherpa and told him to get everyone settled. He also called Jules over, as he had the most medical training. I paid attention as I rested. I even heard them on the radio calling in his symptoms. A bit later, I heard some others talking.

"Wow, her backpack is heavy."

"It can't be that heavy. Let me get it. Oh! I can barely lift it, and she's been carrying it the whole time?"

"Yeah, and the last hour she also carried Raphe. She sure is strong, but the endurance. Epic."

"Hey, you guys, get her pack to her tent."

"Edmund, it's too heavy."

"What?"

"We both tried lifting it. No way either of us can move it that far."

"Idiots, each of you take an end."

"D'oh!"

I didn't show any reaction, but I enjoyed that exchange. I had trouble keeping the smile off my face. But what had me concerned was Raphe. It was sounding serious. A few minutes later, the person on the radio was certain it was appendicitis. Edmund called everyone together in the biggest tent, leaving only Jules to attend him.

He touched my shoulder and said, "You too, Becky Sue." I opened my eyes and stood, stretched, and headed there also. Once we were all inside, he spoke, "I have bad news. Raphe has appendicitis. Worse, while Jules is a good medic, this is beyond his skill, even with a radio assist. We are too high for a helicopter evacuation. Despite the heroic effort to get him here, we cannot carry him down to camp two where he could get evacuated before he is beyond help. I fear he will die here in the next twenty-four hours."

There was a great outcry, and a lot of talk, but it only lasted a few minutes. Edmund dismissed everyone, but I stayed. "I said you should go to your tent and get settled in."

"No. My priorities have changed. The living come before the dead."

"What do you mean?"

"You know I came for a friend, to leave a token at his brother's body, and double check for his family ring."

"Yes, but what does that have to do with this."

"You have also noted my unusual tent, and no doubt heard my pack was quite heavy?"

"Again, yes, but so what?"

"What you don't know is that my tent is not exactly a tent. It is also a hang glider."

"You were going to fly down? That's dangerous. The winds will likely kill you."

"I know the danger, but I am an expert glider. But that was not my plan. This particular glider is oversized, intended to carry two. I was going to bring my friend's brother down with me."

"That... should be... impossible, but you knew that."

"I prepared more than you know. But Raphe comes first. I can carry him instead."

"You... could get him down while he can still be helped?"

"I believe so. But landing on the mountain would be tricky. I will head for Lukla. They have a hospital there, and I can land at it. I will need its GPS coordinates, and I also want you to radio ahead. My call sign is 'BB Packet'."

"That's an odd name."

"Charon's boat is called the 'Broad Bottom Packet', and I came to ferry a dead man home. It seemed appropriate."

"That it is. What should I tell the others?"

"Tell them I have a plan to save his life, but wait until people recognize the shape. And keep them at a distance, as I will need the space to work. I will not be taking his pack, and I will leave my consumables here for you all to share."

"Okay. Thanks."

I then left, found my tent and pulled all my consumables and left them in a pile on the tent floor. I then brought my pack out and went near to where Raphe was. Pulling off the hang glider, I quickly assembled it. Soon a crowd gathered, but Edmund kept them out of my hair. When the glider was ready, I called two Sherpas over to hold it for me. I then got out the body bag, and had Edmund help me stuff Raphe in. I zipped it almost all the way up, leaving a small amount to breathe through. I then lifted Raphe up and directed Edmund how to hook it up to the craft. Once up, I checked everything.

I got under it, grabbed hold, and asked the Sherpas to let go. When they did, I stood up. I kept the nose level, so I would not catch any wind, and slowly walked forward. As I did, I felt the air about me for the best configuration of wind, and headed for that edge. I walked all the way to the edge, so I could see it, and then quickly backed up, so the wind wouldn't catch me just yet. While the wind was blowing up, I wanted to run into a gust, so I used my power, and when I felt it was right, I ran forward, leaping off at the last moment. I dropped maybe five feet before the gust sent me skyward fifty feet. I used that distance to get farther away, and headed into the wind. This let me gain a tiny amount of height, but get a lot farther away.

Those first few minutes were busy, and I used all my skill to gain distance away from the ground in any direction. When I got about two thousand feet away, the turbulence lessened. At four thousand, it nearly disappeared. At five thousand I looked at the GPS, and headed directly away from the mountain, and picked up speed. I also used my power to augment my flight. Soon, I was going nearly seventy miles an hour towards Lukla. The mountain fell behind, and I brought my altitude down by half.

Twenty minutes later, I spotted the town. Checking my GPS constantly, I changed course to the hospital, and dropped to two thousand feet. Once over the city, I constantly check my position and for other aircraft before finally spotting the hospital. I aimed for the helipad. I had to circle twice to lose enough altitude, but I landed with a flair. Two orderlies came running up with a gurney. I told them to grab hold of the glider's frame, so I could disconnect. I then lifted Raphe and directed one to disconnect him. I placed him on the gurney and unzipped the bag. I carefully lifted him out to get the bag off of him. Then I went back and grabbed the frame. I then told them I would come inside after I had finished out here. They left quickly and took him inside.

I walked off the helipad and onto the nearby grass, where I broke down the glider. But first, I took off the cold weather gear and put it into a spare bag. I then attached that bag to the back of the backpack, and attached the glider to the sides. I put the backpack on, and then followed Raphe into the hospital. I learned he was in surgery, so I went to the waiting room. I took a break to use the nearest restroom to change into fresh clothes, and to wash up as best I could. Two hours later, someone came.

"Ms. Tate, Raphe is out of surgery, and recovering in intensive care."

"How is he?"

"We got him in time, but it was close. It will be a few hours before we can tell if he can be moved out of intensive care."

"Thank you. I will go get something to eat, but will be back after."

"Yes, ma'am."

Getting directions to the nearest place to eat, I wound up on the ground-floor cafeteria. I don't remember what I got, but found myself in the waiting room. Nearly four hours later, an orderly came for me.

"Ms. Tate, Raphe is recovering now. Would you like to visit him for a bit?"

I got up and said, "Yes."

"Please follow me."

I soon found myself in a room with four beds in it. "Raphe?"

I heard a quiet, "Over here."

I went to him. "Looks like you made it."

"Yeah. And I couldn't even enjoy the view."

"Take it from me, it was spectacular." I turned to the aide who was still there. "How long will he be here?"

"Several days. Then it will be rehab for him, but he will likely do that back in wherever he came from."

"I see. Thank you." With that, the aide left.

Raphe and I talked quietly for five more minutes before he said he was too tired, so I said goodbye. I sought out a nurse to learn more. I learned that his appendix had not burst, so that the trauma was less than it might have been. The surgery itself causes its own trauma, and that will likely be what will take the most time. I then returned to Raphe's side. Then I had an idea. Inanna said I could heal, so I got my phone out to look up what all is involved in treating appendicitis. I learned of the cuts, the removal of tissue, and the putting everything back together.

When I was ready, I asked, "Queen Inanna, you have said I can heal. My friend, Raphe, has been hurt. While the doctors have fixed him up, his recovery will be long. I want to shorten it if I can, but I don't want others to think it anything but luck, which means he will still have a scar, and take some time. Can you guide me?"

"I shall. And I will teach you, as I do, so that you can provide substantive healing without visible effect. Let us begin." I felt her enter my mind, and I felt my hand move over the wound. I began to visualize his body. As I concentrated, the vision changed, and I realized it was changing to match what it was actually like. My attention was drawn to the deepest part of the wound. She then gave me another vision of what it should be like. She then instructed me to will the one vision to become the other. I took the time to be sure I focused carefully to ensure I did no harm. As the vision began to change, I could feel a flow of power out of me. I concentrated harder, and felt the flow increase, and affect a larger area. I pushed again, and even more came under my touch.

I also noticed a slight sloppiness in my control; I felt I must be at the edge of my control. I kept up my efforts until the deepest part of the wound was healed. Shifting my focus, I moved to portions closer to the surface and worked there. As that part healed, I moved on to the next area. As I neared the surface, I stopped short of full healing. At last, I felt I had done all I could without leaving any sign.

"Daughter, you have done well. Your attention to detail has helped you heal. Even your research helped, because it gave you a path to follow. Rest now, and be happy."

I went back to my chair and rested. I could feel the stress within me start to unwind. After a half hour, I realized I needed sleep. So I got up, and headed for the lobby. Once there, I asked about hotels, and got directions. I got a room, took a shower, dried off and went to sleep.

"Priestess, you show remarkable qualities, the qualities of a true queen. You came to this mountain to help a friend. You delay that quest to help another who could not wait. Then you even aid in the healing he needs. You have shown yourself worthy to be mine. So I have decided to grant you a small boon."

"Lord An? I must do what is right. I have done what I can for Raphe, and so I will plan my ascent for next year."

"No, for that is why I gave you my boon. Your party is experiencing weather that prevents travel. I shall send you winds to lift you back to them. But you must leave in the next few days, for their resources are limited."

"Thank you, Lord An." Suddenly, his presence was gone, and I woke refreshed.

I took a long shower to enjoy it while I could. I returned to Raphe's side, and found the staff was very happy about his condition. They even let me give him the good news that he would be returning home later today. We ended up chatting nearly half an hour before we had to part.

While we chatted, I also thought about returning. I took a cab to an outdoor market where I could buy fresh food. I got about fifty pounds of fresh fruits and vegetables, forty pounds of fresh meat, twenty pounds of pastries, and forty pounds of oxygen tanks. Back at the hotel, I packed everything in my pack, and body bag. I went down to eat a big lunch, collected my bags and checked out. But rather than exiting through the lobby, I went to the top floor with a manager, who let me onto the roof. He watched as I set up my hang glider. When I was ready, I lifted it and focused on the air to see the way it moved. I also scanned the sky for other craft and saw none. That was when I sensed a cold front coming. This would cause the air to rise quickly, and aid me if I could catch it. I smiled and jumped off the edge.

I had timed it perfectly, and dropped less than a foot before the wind took me. The heat of the city made the initial ascent quick, but the movement of the front carried me from the city. I wound up nearly two miles high when I came to the mountains. There I looked for winds to take me up the mountain, and toward the camp. An didn't make it easy for me, but did provide the winds I needed. The final part did worry me a little, as the camp was on a flattish area, but not actually flat. However, someone was keeping watch as the storm over the camp was breaking up. I was spotted, and everyone came out. They didn't realize it, but they made it harder to find a landing spot.

I was within a hundred feet of the ground when I noticed a large boulder I could land on. It stuck up about five feet from the ground. It was a small target, but I felt I could land on it. I managed to flair at just the right time and landed lightly on the boulder. Everyone rushed to meet me.

"Give me a hand to get down." They helped me down. I rested one wing on the boulder, and went to get the body bag. "Help me with the groceries."

"Groceries?"

"Yes. I figured if I was going to take the quick way up, I might as well bring supplies. I got a lot of fresh food in that."

"What of Raphe?"

"We got there in time. They operated and fixed him up. He is even well enough to be released for rehab, and should be heading home sometime today. Okay, enough talk for now, I need to pack the glider." I quickly packed it, but didn't put it with my backpack yet. Leaving the glider in my tent, I went to the cook tent. There I spoke with one of the cooks, and we soon unpacked my backpack to get the food I had there. We planned to have dinner with some of the fresh food I brought. Lastly, I sought out Edmund.

"Edmund, in addition to food, I also brought oxygen. I don't know who needs what, but I am adding it to the camp supplies, so you can give it out as needed."

"How did you know?"

"Know what?"

"Two idiots didn't pack the required amount, and we were worried. How much?"

"Forty pounds. Not that much, but it could make a difference."

"It will. Thanks."

"Don't let the others know it's here. If they think they are short, they will be more careful with it."

"You're right. Come; let's rejoin the rest, and you can tell everyone about Raphe."

We did just that, and I spent nearly an hour telling and retelling what I knew, and about the trip. At dinner, there was a big spread, and everyone was surprised at the nice desserts. Many thanked me. Edmund announced that if the weather held, we would leave in the morning.

It was near Camp Four that Jack was laid to rest. Arriving there, we were tired, and went to our tents. I took the time to visit the grave briefly.

Returning to my tent, Edmund asked, "Will you be leaving now?"

"Not quite yet. Now that I'm this far, I might as well go that last bit. Since it will be up and down in a day, I won't need to carry the glider, so I will be much lighter."

"Yeah. I heard about that. How heavy is it anyway?"

"The glider is about ninety pounds. It is actually on the light side for what it does, but I paid dearly for the reduced weight."

"You have told us why, but how are you able to carry so much?"

"I have spent a lifetime becoming strong. But strength is not just power, but also endurance. I don't compete, but I suspect I would be a world-class weightlifter. I know my maximum lift is comparable. But I also do a fair amount of running in my home gym. For the last year, I have been training to carry the weight of my gear, knowing it was very heavy."

"You are full of contradictions. You act the playboy, sorry, playgirl, but you go to great efforts to prepare. The gear you have is nearly new, yet shows wear. You know how to climb, and show a level of skill unexpected in an amateur. You are like no one I have ever met."

"Part of my act is just that: an act. As a movie star, I am expected to live larger than life, yet I have a loving husband and many children. I have managed to get the paparazzi to focus on my public life, but leave my private life, private. One of the biggest reasons they invade a star's private life is to get revealing pictures. Since I do that in public, they don't bother to try for the private stuff. In fact, I do it so much; they can't get as much for my pictures as they get from other stars."

"Well, we'll be here a day to get used to the air, then leave late the next night to ascend."

"Okay, I'll be ready."

Edmund left to attend to other duties. I spent the time talking with the others, and we enjoyed the last of the fresh food. The next day, we went to sleep immediately after lunch, so we would be rested when we left that night. I left the glider behind, and we began our ascent of the last bit. The weather was curiously calm, and we made good time. We each got pictures taken at the summit. I even got a few extra when I flashed my boobs. The cold meant my nipples were quite prominent. The trip back to Camp Four was uneventful. The next day was supposed to be a rest day, to enjoy the sights, but I spent it disassembling the cairn covering Jack and the other four, removing his body, and reassembling the cairn.

I felt moved to speak to An. "Lord An, you have kept me safe here where your realm meets the land. You have also kept these bodies safe. Thank you. Please continue to keep them safe, and keep me safe as I bring Jack home."

I did not think he would answer, but he did. "Priestess, I have heard you. They and you shall be safe."

I bowed my head in respect. "Thank you." I waited reverently a few minutes, and then placed Jack into the body bag. As I did, I felt the mountain presence again. This time, far more focused.

"You have done as you indicated, and show reverence. You feel like Inanna, yet you also are touched by An. Do you seek some boon? Do you desire my respect as Inanna did Ebih's?"

"I came here for this body only. For myself, as I was very near the peak, I went as others have to show I, too, was able to achieve this. I have all I came for. Soon, I will be leaving you to return the body to his family. I want nothing from you that you do not want to give. All I asked was peace, which you have shown. Thank you."

"On my flanks, you have helped my people with your devices. You have earned my respect. Place your hand in the ground, and grasp my stone, and pull it forth."

This last request seemed strange, but then, so is talking with a mountain. So I placed a hand on the ground and put some weight on it. Even though it was solid stone, my hand sunk into it. When I felt something solid about a foot down, I wrapped my fingers around it and pulled my hand out. When I looked at where my hand went in, there was no sign. Looking in my hand, I saw a small oval of obsidian, maybe an inch and a half by an inch. It looked like every other rock, yet I could sense a spiritual power to it.

"Take this token of my respect. I am not made to bend, but if you respect me, I shall return that respect. Please tell your lady I have no wish for trouble." I then sensed the presence fade. With its departure, I placed Jack's body outside my tent, so it would not thaw, and the stone into a pocket. I got up early to assemble the glider. Edmund called in my flight. I said goodbye to everyone. Finding the right location and moment, I launched.