Nigkala Tales Pt. 37: The World is Hollow

Story Info
But it’s not our world.
17.7k words
4.78
1.1k
3

Part 37 of the 39 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 01/30/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nigkala Tales Pt. 37: The World is Hollow

But it's not our world

Thanks to my editor kenjisato. Also, to LanguageTool. Combined, they put me right. Any problems left all belong to me.

= = = = = = = = = =

Asteroid 2019 OK was discovered twenty-four hours before it was set to whiz past the Earth at a distance of just 48,000 miles, traveling at 55,000 miles per hour. It was estimated to measure between 195 and 425 feet (60 to 130 meters) in diameter.

What if such a meteor had hit? Our heroine finds out...

= = = = = = = = = =

Apparently, my cosplay gained the attention of the marketing people of Viking Cruises. They liked my Valkyrie outfit so much, they hired me to play the role on their cruise ships for a year. While I started out doing cruises in northern Europe, I wound up on a number of different cruise routes. Today marked the second time I was embarking on the 'Panama Canal & Central America' cruise. I was on greeting duty wearing my leather armor and helmet, but without my weapons. My name tag proclaimed me to be Ricci Olafdottir, Valkyrie, and had the cruise line's logo.

While the employees are not normally allowed to seriously fraternize with the guests, I had negotiated an exception. I could not ask, but I could accept. Somehow, the guests always learned this the first day, and as I made the rounds of the various bars on the ship telling stories, I would get multiple invitations. I usually accepted three or four, spaced throughout the night. Sometimes, I had to act as a bouncer. When I did, just standing there was sufficient for most, and An's power sufficed for the few that it wasn't.

Three times a day, I demonstrated my battle skills in full armor. One guest came up to me, clearly interested in my equipment. So I said, "Do you have some questions about my equipment?"

"Yes. It looks so real."

"That's because it is. Would you like to examine it more closely?"

"May I?"

"You may. Take my shield, and hold it like you are defending." I handed him my shield.

"It's heavy."

"Yes. The wood is easily replaceable, and blunts many attacks. The metal backing helps against those who would use bullets. I haven't had anyone shoot at me with bullets yet. Part of being a true warrior was to be strong enough to carry your equipment into battle, and fight there for hours."

"That seems unlikely."

"Yet, it is true. I have been in battle, dressed this way."

"You have? For hours?"

"Quite so. When I custom made this armor, I tested it with the local Live Action Role Play group. Most don't last too long, because they tire out, but I would just engage another. After a long day, I would relax, telling stories of the day's battles, then heading to someone else's tent for some horizontal battles."

"You fought lying down?"

"And without armor... or clothing."

"Oh!... Um... What are these marks on the back of the shield?"

"The Vikings believed runes could have magical power. These represent that."

"I thought they didn't believe in magic."

"Oh, they surely did. Freya was a goddess of magic, and Odin created the magic of the runes."

He handed me the shield, and I put it back on.

"How about the sword?"

"You may not swing it, but I'll let you see how heavy it is." I handed it to him.

"It's lighter than I expected. Kind of big, though."

"My size lets me make good use of a bigger sword. However, it is heavier than most swords. Remember, in battle you aren't merely holding it, but you are swinging it a lot. That takes more strength than a shield." I took the sword back, and put it back in its sheath.

"Thank you. I look forward to hearing your tales tonight."

After he left, a woman came to me and asked, "What made you get into playing the hero? It's not something most women want."

"Quite so. I grew up on adventure books, and loved the ones with a woman heroine. So I worked hard, learned to fight, and later to make costumes, and now, here I am. A real-life hero. Or, at least, I like to think so."

"You're not an actor?"

"Well, I actually am, but I am also a trained fighter. It makes looking the part a lot easier."

I usually fielded a number of questions after each demo. While I also had questions in the bars, I often would be more in character, even to affecting a Norse accent. After all the time I spent as a Valkyrie, I had plenty of stories to last the four trips I would make on each of several cruises. I never repeated a story, but I did change a few details depending on who was listening. I wanted my stories to incite passion, not trouble, or disgust.

While people were spellbound with my stories, I usually sought the sickest in the room, and applied Inanna's healing. Most times, it was fairly simple, like sea-sickness or drunkenness, but occasionally it was something more. I tried to do only non-seen healing. If I felt someone needed something more, I would try to do some more powerful healing while they were asleep.

Mornings, I often hung out near the pool, or in the gym. Few recognized me, as the armor obscured my four breasts. I chose not to be too provocative, as I was 'entertainment', and didn't want complaints. As for my nightly sex, I only accepted requests from singles or threesomes with a married couple.

When we arrived at Cozumel, Mexico, I got to play tourist, but I had some responsibility for keeping a group of twenty-or-so passengers thinking they were safe in the ruins of San Gervasio. There, we saw where the locals worshiped Ix Chel, a Mayan goddess. We also saw lots of iguanas.

The next day, we got to see the Altun Ha ruins in Belize. These Mayan ruins were the first we saw with a pyramid. Heck, the local beer, "Belikin", used it as their logo. Again, I was there to 'protect' them should the need arise.

The day after, we were in Roatán, Honduras, as this place was known for the Carambola Gardens. Forty acres of wildlife and wilderness, designed for scenic views. This place was so well tended, I wasn't needed.

Then we had a day at sea, where the guests were told about the ecosystem of the Caribbean. I slept in, then headed to the gym, before I had my first demo of the day. With the guests on board all day, they were a lot livelier at the shipboard bars, so I kept them entertained with stories.

We arrived in Puerto Limón, Costa Rica, the next day, and the day after in Colón, Panama. Again, I stayed on ship, as this was essentially a city visit, followed by two days at sea. A tropical storm kept us wet from a distance, as we sailed. But it was headed to the gulf, and we would be leaving ahead of it.

Jamaica had the Dunn's River Falls. I used one of my 'free' days to walk them as a tourist. However, the local guides for our trip had me helping out everyone in the slippery water of the stepped falls. I didn't really mind, as I would have done it anyway, but the guests were grateful, nonetheless. The extra water from the storm didn't help, but at least they didn't cancel the trip. While there was time for the hour-and-a-half trip, we did have to get back on board without delay, so we could leave ahead of the storm.

The plan was to head west quickly, and then curl around the island and head east before the storm caught up to us. We were heading west, nearing the turning point, when the captain got a scary alert. It wasn't about the weather, but rather, a large meteor was found very close to the earth, and coming closer. They didn't know if it would hit, but it would be very close. Also, it was termed a 'city killer' sized meteor.

First, the captain increased the ship's speed, with a general announcement that we were trying to outrun the storm to avoid problems. Next, the captain quietly called several meetings to pass the word among the crew that we should prepare to handle panicked guests. He also reiterated all the safety procedures, so they would be fresh in our minds. As I was in one of the earlier meetings, I quickly got familiar with what I needed to do, and then, instead of waiting for the captain's next announcement, I pulled in An's power to give us a stiff tail wind. Nothing too noticeable, at first, but slowly adding to our speed. I kept it up until we needed to turn.

It was shortly after we rounded the island, that the captain spoke to everyone.

"All hands, all hands, everyone, please pay attention. Astronomers just discovered a large meteor heading Earth's way, and not that far away. It will likely miss, but if it doesn't, I want us headed to someplace we can safely ride it out. We expect it to pass in less than twenty-four hours, so we will be sailing non-stop to get in the deeper ocean waters near here. We will blow past Fort Lauderdale, our expected destination, so we can get far from land. Earlier, I briefed the crew about ship safety procedures, so please ask them sooner rather than later. If the worst happens, we will require all non-essential personnel to stay in their cabins. That is all."

Well, that put the hornet's nest among the guests. Again, I gave the ship a tail wind, but a little stronger this time. I did my best to calm everyone, including using An's authority to quiet them from time to time. I even did a fair rendition of the movie, "The Princess Bride", to lighten the mood in the largest bar. I used my storytelling skills to captivate everyone, so they would forget their fear for a while. Several others helped out, playing assorted parts. I played Fezzik, of course, but I also did a lot of narration for the other parts. By the time I finished, the bar was packed to overflowing.

I followed that with a recounting of "Alice in Wonderland", to the amusement of many. By then, it was late, so I told everyone to head to bed, and get some rest. Most left immediately, but some, like me, had a late-night meal first.

In the morning, I learned we had passed Fort Lauderdale, and were headed away from land at top speed. That's when we learned it would hit. Earth had no defense, as sending up a nuke was not guaranteed to work, and could make things far worse. We kept running for the deep ocean water, and even used the Gulf Stream to speed us on our way. I made a satellite call to Filipe, to reassure each other we were safe. Our neighbors came and stayed in our underground theater, as it was the best protected place about, and Isis was warding all three homes with her telekinetic shield, just in case it came near there. I told Filipe we were headed for deep water, so we should be safe, as long as it didn't land on us.

With that said, I hung up, and gave the next person in line the phone. Everyone was allowed one call, to reassure their loved ones they were relatively safe in deep water. I went back to monitoring the tailwind. As the hours passed, the news got worse and worse. Once it was learned it would hit somewhere in the area we were leaving, I decided to do what I could to adjust the weather to help. I figured a huge low pressure zone over the region would help by providing less air to be shoved by the shock wave when it hit. That turned the storm we were leaving behind into a Category 3 hurricane rather quickly. I also monitored the tracking information, and tried to center the storm at the expected impact point.

I almost did. It hit northwest of the storm, but close and in the gulf. We were already battened down for an expected tsunami, and the water strike meant it would happen. While the shockwave was less than it might have been, it also combined with the existing wind, sending a powerful wind our way. I did what I could to redirect the local winds into forcing it high, so it would blow over us. I also placed a telekinetic shield behind us, sloping up, so the wind that hit it would deflect up. When it hit, it was bad, and sent the ship at crazy speeds into the ocean, but the damage was not catastrophic. I let the shield down, saving it for later.

The crew started repair of the underwater damage as quickly as they could, so we wouldn't sink. I kept the wind about us as smooth as I could, to reduce the turbulence. When the captain announced the tsunami was about to hit, I put the shield back up, but this time, it was shaped to send the wave to either side of us. We would still get wet, but with less force, and less water. Again, bad, but not as bad as it would have been. Once it was past us, the captain came to a stop, as anything more would be hours later, if at all.

But I had a bad feeling. I felt some kind of energy, as though we had passed through a portal of some kind. I also felt my control over the weather and shield swiftly disappear. While I no longer had control of the air, I could still sense it, and it felt almost calm. I also felt the ship's rocking and bouncing stop.

"Queen Inanna? What happened?"

Silence. I waited a minute before calling again. "Queen Inanna? Where are you?"

Still nothing. After a minute, I tried for An, and when that failed, I tried for Isis. Again, silence. It seemed I was separated from them, and that we must have gone through a portal of some form.

I then tried my desert power, by making a small bolt of lightning go from one hand to the other. That worked just fine. It seems as though that part of my power remains, even when the god's power goes away. I felt that there was little I could do without information, so I waited for the all-clear from the captain. Surprisingly, it came ten minutes later.

Like most, I went up on deck, but instead of heading for the side of the ship, I went for height. I was in crew country, when I could go no farther without going into forbidden territory, or climbing. I knew my sword gave help to my senses, so I placed a hand on the hilt, and willed it to show me what was on the horizon. I was dumbfounded. Every way I looked, I could see land very far away, and it seemed to also be up a little from where I expected it to be. The distance was too much to actually tell what anything was.

I must have spent an hour looking, when my tattoo alerted me to trouble. Immediately, I looked around me, and saw nothing. I further opened my senses to the tattoo, and realized I needed to look up. Good thing I did, as something was coming down quickly, and with speed. Even as I uncovered the sharpness of my sword, I realized this was some kind of dinosaur, and not any kind of bird. It had no feathers, just a leather membrane of sorts.

I had no time, so I swung at it with the sword, and somehow severed one wing completely off. The body fell below me on the ship, but the wing landed beside me. I quickly scanned the sky for other predators, and did not see any on this side of the ship. Picking up the wing in my other hand, I hurried to the other side to scan the sky there. I saw two more, but far off. I hurried to the bridge with my gristly trophy.

I knocked on the door, and was told they were busy, I yelled back. "We have a new problem. Let me in. I need to see the captain immediately."

While I waited, I cleaned the sword, and restored its dullness illusion. A minute later, I yelled again, "I mean it. We have a problem."

"Go away, we're busy."

I tried the door, and found it was locked. I used Alec's teaching, and some telekinetic ability, and unlocked it. Then I opened the door, and walked in holding the wing up for all to see.

"Captain Karlsson, we have a problem. I was just attacked from the sky by some kind of dinosaur. I killed it, by slicing it in two. This is its wing, and the rest of the body is on the deck below near the Tiki Bar. The ship needs to set watch for more, as I spotted two more to port, but far off.

I heard some cursing, and recognized what he was saying. So I replied in the same tongue, "No need to curse. But action is needed, or we could lose people."

That surprised him, as most of the crew didn't speak German, but English as they were based out of the US. But he was silent only for a few moments.

"What do you mean, lose people?"

"Examine this wing, and the rest of the body on the deck. It came at me with lethal intent. I have a weapon capable of dealing with it, but most will not. The two I saw may decide to come over for lunch, given it's noonish."

"It's nearly three, not noon."

"Odd. The sun is directly overhead."

"You sure?"

"Check the shadows outside. How long are they."

I heard some more cursing in German. "How is this possible?"

"I felt something just after the wave hit. I have felt it before. It was some kind of portal between worlds. I don't think we are on Earth anymore."

Just then, someone quietly trying to make connection with a satellite spoke up. "Captain, that would explain why we can't find the satellite link."

The captain glared at him, then spoke to me, "Get that carcass out of here. I'll set up a watch. Jenkins!"

"Yes sir!"

"Does the radar have the two... creatures... on screen?"

"... Um, no sir. If they are organics, we won't see them well, unless they mass."

"Then call below and get some sharp eyes on watch." He then glared at me.

"Thank you, Captain."

I then backed out, and reunited the wing with the creature's body. However, there was quite a crowd checking it out. Looking at it lying at my feet, wondering how it existed now.

Someone asked, "Did you kill it?"

"When it dive-bombed me, I had no choice. Anyone know what it is? It looks like a pterodactyl."

"Yeah. But they're extinct."

"Some extinct species have been found, not many, and I don't think this was ever one of those."

"You think there are more?"

"Where there is one, there is likely more."

Everyone started looking up.

"The captain is on it, and will warn us to go inside if needed. In the meantime, I'm heading to the Tiki Bar to tell stories. Anyone coming?" I then turned and went in the nearby bar, and took up my usual position at the microphone. I gave it a minute before launching on yet another story. When that one finished, I started another, and another, until the captain issued some new commands. I finished the story quickly, then went to my room to check my stuff.

I pulled out my flatpack, and emptied it to see what all I had. Then I put most of it back. The things I kept out were the predator talisman, my magic battery, and all my Valkyrie equipment. I had noticed it was still noon by the sun, even though my stories went on for several hours. So, not only not on Earth, but someplace with a very long day. I planned to be ready.

I was still in my room when a steward knocked to deliver a message from the captain. He wanted to see me in his office, with my sword. When I got there, I knocked, and announced myself.

"Enter."

He gestured, and I sat down across the desk from him.

"Ricci. You are an anomaly. The company checked your sword was a prop sword that couldn't cut anyone, and yet you sliced cleanly through that pterodactyl in a single slice. We saw it on the video recording. Might I see it now?"

I stood briefly to unbuckle it, and laid it, still in the sheath, on the desk. He picked it up, and pulled it out a little, and tested it on a piece of paper. When that failed, he carefully ran a finger across the edge. "Is this the same sword?"

"Yes."

"You also knew we weren't on Earth before anyone else. You said something about a portal? Tell me about that."

I thought a bit, and decided to trust him. "I am more that I seem. Magic is real. I am a priestess, and it was me who provided the trailing wind after hearing about the meteor. I believe it helped put a significant number of miles between us, and helped to spare the ship. When the shockwave came, and later when the tsunami came, I placed some shielding between us to deflect its power. Again, sparing the ship. But soon, while still being carried by the tsunami, I felt the magic of a portal. But when it passed, I found my divine magic cut off. That's how I knew we weren't on Earth anymore."

"You would have me believe in magic?"