No Charity

Story Info
Mother and daughter both find new love.
11.2k words
4.73
49.2k
81
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is a lesbian romance and there is also an interracial romance (with no sex described) between two secondary characters, if that offends you, please move on. All characters are fictitious, over eighteen and all sex is consensual.

I look forward to reading any comments.

A car pulled out of a parking spot at the perfect time right outside the door. I was a few minutes early to collect Mum but headed into the office building anyway. It was over a year since I'd last been here but there was a time when it was almost every day, right after school, to wait for Mum. The lobby was still much the same, all marble and slate but the plain walls were now a peaceful sea green colour and not the boring beige that they'd been for years.

As the lift doors closed I was surrounded by mirrors and polished steel. I was surrounded by myself, twenty-four, five feet nine, slim, small bust, good legs and plenty of them. I had long dark brown hair that fell in waves over my shoulders, blue eyes and full lips. Not bad even if I said it to myself. I spent money on clothes because I liked to look good, I liked skirts and dresses, not that I didn't wear pants, but not often. Heels, of course, heels, they were important.

When the doors opened on the seventh floor I spotted Mrs Harding behind the reception desk where she'd been a fixture for years. "Well, well, Faith long time no see."

"Hi Mrs Harding, how are you? How many grandkids do you have now?"

"I'm well thank you, and still five, the youngest is four, two boys and three girls. I love them and they keep me busy. What about you, still playing soccer and hockey?"

"I haven't played either since I left university. It's swimming and cycling now, but I've been thinking about joining the local hockey club."

"Do you fix peoples personal computers? My daughter's laptop is playing up, she has no idea what's wrong and no one seems to know either."

"Bring it in and give it to my Mum. I'll have a look at it." It was a small thing; she'd been really kind to me on those many days when I'd had to wait. She'd find a desk for me to do my homework and always got me something to drink.

I walked into Hannah's office and stopped dead after two steps. No Hannah, instead a younger woman, my age, a heart-shaped face, full lips, hazel eyes and long blonde hair, she was stunning. Then my memory kicked into action, Hannah who'd been Mum's PA for years, had left because her husband had transferred to the north of England. I don't recall Mum telling me about a replacement.

I struggled to speak for a moment, "Sorry, I got a shock; I expected to see Hannah there. I forgot she'd left." Words were not coming easily and I knew why.

"Hi, I'm Hope and you're Valerie's daughter, Faith." I nodded. "I recognise you from the photos on your Mum's desk, she called me five minutes ago to say that she was expecting you, that her meeting was running longer than she expected and she'll be another twenty minutes."

"Okay, nice to meet you, Hope." Then I laughed and she raised a very lovely eyebrow looking puzzled. "Faith and Hope, maybe Charity will be here soon." She laughed as well.

"Would you like coffee? I certainly need one; it's been a busy day."

I nodded and followed her to the break room. She was my height, slim, slender legs in a flared skirt and her bum wiggled. When she turned her smile was wonderful and I noticed that she had very faint freckles. 'Try to control yourself,' I said silently. I was behaving oddly because she was beautiful and I fancied her, a lot!

"I believe that you're some sort of computer wizz?"

"I'm almost offended, the correct term is Computer Technician but 'geek' covers it as well." I smiled at her and she smiled back. Lovely.

"And you still live with your Mum?"

"Just the two of us for a long time now, we get on well. It's a bit strange; we're like friends and support each other. It would be silly us having two separate homes, we have our own space and freedoms. When we need company we're there for each other. What about you, do you still live with your parents?"

I realised as I'd finished speaking that I'd hit a sore point. "My father disappeared a long time ago, it was just mum and me, then she died when I was eighteen. I've been on my own, actually, that's not true, when I was twenty I moved in with my boyfriend. It was good for a while then a year ago he moved jobs and we came here. Three months later he walked out on me. When I think back it hadn't been good for a while but I'd refused to accept it. Now I'm here in digs. But at least I have this job and I'm starting to regain a bit of confidence. It knocked me for a while." It seemed that once she'd started to speak she had to let it all out. But, damn she was straight.

I was clearing away the plates after dinner and sat with Mum. "I got a surprise when Hannah wasn't there. I'd forgotten."

"I told you about her moving. I miss her; we worked together for a long time. But Hope is getting better."

"I like her, but she has a sad story."

"I'm surprised she told you. She wanted to become a trainee but ended up in our admin pool after she moved here. Hannah found her one day, crying in the loo, the day after the boyfriend dumped her. Hannah helped her to find digs and when she was leaving suggested Hope to replace her. It was a good choice. I'm going to train her because I think she could be a good team leader."

I was silent, Mum must have seen me thinking. "She's not gay, so leave her alone."

"I know but she is gorgeous."

More Hope

I lay in bed that night thinking about Hope. I know Mum said that she wasn't gay but she was very beautiful and she'd touched me in a way that no one else had ever done. I wanted to get to know her but she was my Mum's PA and that had doom written all over it.

Doom or not I sent Hope an email telling her about my playing a gig at a local pub and asking if she wanted to come along. She replied that she'd think about it.

"Faith, did you tell Hope about a gig?"

"Yes, can you pass me the salt, please. Why?"

"She mentioned it to me."

"She said that she didn't have many friends here. I was just trying to help her. I thought that it would be good to get her out a bit and at least she knows me a little. She's straight, I get that."

"Be careful."

Hope turned up and sat watching us. I waved to her in-between numbers. I saw a couple of guys hitting on her and she knocked them back. At the break, I went to sit with her.

"Hi, I'm glad you came. It's pretty safe here and I thought I'd introduce you to the other girls in the band and some of their friends. I saw a couple of guys speaking to you."

"I'm glad I came and thanks for thinking about me. You're very good. I'm not really interested in guys right now, it's just too raw. But for your info, I'm not gay."

"I know. Full disclosure, I am and I'm unattached and if you were gay I'd be interested, but that's not why I asked you, I was just trying to be friendly." We chatted for a while and she seemed to get on well with some of the rest of our little group.

A couple of weeks later I was trying to call Mum and Hope picked up. "Faith, she's on a call, can I get her to call you?"

"That would be good, but it's not important. How are you?"

"Okay, digs are rubbish and I'm getting out a bit, but sometimes I miss some company."

"Look I go to movies and some evenings I'm bored. Maybe we could just be friends, catch a gig, have a drink."

"What about this weekend, meet for coffee?"

"Great, you set it up and text me."

We sat with our coffees and some brownies facing each other. I was a mess. I couldn't tear my eyes away from her face, she's stunning and when she smiles as she is doing right now I have a damp panty problem. Two hours and two more coffees confirmed what I'd suspected; I was in love and wanted her so badly. But she was straight, damn it.

We met a few times over the next few weeks, coffee or the pub. We went to a movie but as friends, nothing more. Still, I wanted to kiss her so badly.

Mum

"Thanks for dinner, my turn tomorrow. Are you playing at Lipstick this week?"

"Yeah, Friday night, why, you coming?"

"Not sure, I may do but it depends."

"Depends on what? Oh, wait a minute. Depends on who? Details, come on."

"Early days, but I met someone at the hospital, at a meeting I had there. She's an Oncologist, three or four years younger than me. Not sure where it's going yet."

"So you've sworn off of men again?"

"It's been years and it was never wonderful. Look, you know how this goes."

"Gentler, know what they're doing, last longer. I get that, not that I've ever tried a man, makes me shudder just to think about it. So, what's she like, name, that sort of thing?"

"Doctor Ellen Shaw, a couple of inches smaller than me, slim, nice figure, gorgeous face, eyes to die for and lots of very dark hair." As she'd been speaking I'd been using my phone.

"Mum, what the hell? I assume this is her?" I showed her my phone and the picture from the hospital's website.

"That's her, not a great photo though."

"Well, she looks good in this photo, just one thing you omitted of course."

"The fact that she's Afro-Caribbean you mean?"

"You might have included that little detail! But based on that picture I'd swipe right!"

"I saw her first!" We both laughed.

My mum and I were good together, almost like a couple but still mum and daughter. Sounds odd, but it'd been seventeen years since my Dad had walked out and we'd not seen or heard from him in all of that time. It'd just been the two of us and we were close. Mum had done everything to ensure that I enjoyed life and received a good education, she'd earned good money and we were comfortable. I was very lucky.

The third number finished, we were good tonight and Liz was on top form with her vocals. I took a swallow of water and happened to look over towards the bar. My mum was there with her friend who turned around just then. She definitely needs a new photographer, bloody hell she's gorgeous and the dress that she wore suggested a figure most women would kill for. My mum was looking good as well, tall like me, slim, with a good figure also not much of a bust, pretty with a strong jaw-line and collar-length blonde hair.

Forty minutes later we took a break and after talking through the next set with the band I wandered over to the booth. "Hello, I'm Faith and I'd guess that you have to be Ellen. Mind if I join you for a few minutes?" I stuck out my hand.

"I am indeed, nice to meet you. You sound good. You have another set to do?"

"Yes in about half an hour." The three of us chatted but I didn't stay long, I'd imagine having your daughter hanging about might make things awkward on an early date.

Mum had left by the time we were packed up. I headed home and went straight to bed. I had another dream about Hope, it's getting crazy, I can't get her out of my head.

It went on for another couple of weeks, meeting Hope. But the dreams were getting worse, or better depends on how you view these things. We were good, energetic, adventurous, if only it was real. For some reason I couldn't shake it, but actually, I don't think that I wanted to.

I was up early, it was a nice morning and I had my cycling kit on, but breakfast first.

"Good morning, you okay? I have coffee."

"Good morning I'm fine, thank you."

"Scrambled eggs on toast?"

Mum looked sheepish, hesitant. I raised an eyebrow.

"You might need more eggs."

"What? This is what I usually do, what's wrong with you today?"

It was right at that minute that I heard another voice, "It might be me being here. I'd guess that your mum's feeling awkward because I know that I am." Ellen was wearing one of Mums robes and standing there next to her.

I'm sure that I stood open-mouthed for a time. Then I smiled, "The order of the world is changing. I'm sure that it's supposed to be mothers who are shocked by their daughter having a partner sleepover. I confess this is a surprise but my Mum's old enough to make her own decisions, so let's start again. Good morning Ellen, did you sleep well?"

I giggled. "On second thoughts don't answer that question. Would you like coffee or tea? I'm making scrambled eggs with toast is that okay for you?"

"Thank you, tea and eggs would be fine."

After eating I offered a drinks refill. "Could I have another cup of tea please?" Ellen asked.

"Do you drink coffee, Ellen?"

"Yes, probably too much but I prefer tea first thing. Does my being here bother you?"

"No, not at all. I'm pleased that my mum is still ... I don't know, looking?"

"Does it bother you that I'm ...?" She didn't finish, just pointed to herself.

"You're very beautiful, but I have to say that your photo on the hospital website doesn't do you any favours. Mum's punching above her weight."

"Hey you," Mum laughed.

"Your mum's rather gorgeous and you clearly take after her, maybe a bit cheekier though." Ellen was grinning.

"Actually, I'm a lot cheekier. Do you have a daughter?"

Ellen shook her head. "That's a shame, if she took after you I'd ask for an introduction. As it is, if mum dumps you, give me a call."

Mum tried to slap me but I dodged her. "I'm off out for a bike run, be about an hour."

I was about to walk away. "Second thoughts make that two hours minimum. Wouldn't want to surprise you."

Ellen wasn't about when I got back. After a shower, I pulled on a skirt and sweater and headed to find mum. She was in the study using her laptop. "Hi, good run?"

"Great, fresh air and exercise. Did you get some exercise?"

She gave me a look of disapproval. "Mind your own business."

"That would be a yes then."

"Some things are best kept a secret from your daughter, but yes we did make use of the opportunity. Thank you for that and for your information, it was terrific. I really hope that this goes somewhere, she's lovely."

"I was joking about you punching above your weight. You're a knockout. I saw the two of you standing together at the bar soon after you arrived the other week and you make a good looking couple. I like her."

Hope and Ellen

A few days later Mum asked me a question. "Did you tell Hope about your gig at Lipstick next Friday?"

"Yes, why?"

"Did you tell her it's a lesbian club?"

That had been a mistake. "No, I never thought about it. I'll fix it."

I called her and told her. She sounded nervous but agreed to go anyway.

Hope arrived just after we'd finished setting up. A couple of the other band member's friends there as well, so she wasn't on her own. I watched her as I played; she seemed to enjoy herself and chatted with a few people. I went to sit with her during our break.

"I like the band, you're really good."

"Thank you. Are you okay here, with it being a gay club? It's safe and you shouldn't get any hassle."

"It's really friendly, I like it and I'm glad that I came, but I was a little nervous."

We chatted until I went back on stage again and then again when we'd finished but she didn't stay for long before heading home. I had to drag myself home and went straight to bed, I was depressed. I wanted her so badly and couldn't get my mind anywhere else. I dreamt about her again that night, how I wish they were real.

A couple of weeks later I was at the hospital, to drop off a laptop one of the surgeons had asked me to look at, and I was heading through the main lobby when I heard my name being called.

"Hello, Ellen. How are you?"

"Good thanks, what brings you here?"

"Dropping something off, a work thing. Now I'm heading for a coffee."

"So am I, mind if I join you?"

"I'd like that." Once we got our drinks we sat in a quiet part of the coffee area.

"How are things between you two? Mum likes you a lot."

"I like her a lot as well." She was quiet, thinking. "Actually, more than a lot. She's really rather wonderful, good fun and makes me weak at the knees."

"What's the problem?"

"I've never been with, dated a person of different skin to me. It makes me nervous."

"When she told me about you, described you, that was one thing she left out and it wasn't until I looked you up that ... I asked her about it. I'd say that she doesn't care about that and I doubt if she cares about what anyone thinks or says."

"Except you?"

"Yes, except me I'd guess. Look we've been together for a long time and there have been times when I've made my views known, but I've always told her that what I think doesn't matter. I'm sure that she thinks different and that my views are important to her. As for you, I was serious, I really like you, I hope that it works out and I think the two of you make a very gorgeous couple."

"Thank you." She laid a hand on my arm.

"Please don't be shy about being at our place. If Mum asks you over don't worry about me, I'd like to get to know you better and if Mum's happy, I'm good."

It was late when I turned up in the kitchen. The previous evening had been good and after we'd finished playing we'd had a drinking session and a late night. Mum and Ellen were embracing and both still in nightshirts.

"Good morning love birds. I need coffee."

Ellen looked embarrassed. "Ellen, get over it, nothing to be shy about here."

I took my coffee and headed back to my room.

Two hours later they were sitting in the kitchen with the newspapers. "Hi again."

They both replied with a shy "Hello." The way that they were looking at each other told me what I needed to know, time to hit the road on my bike.

Ellen was there for dinner again that evening. Mum and I cooked together and Ellen watched us. "You two work well together."

"Mum taught me to cook and it's a great thing to share. Do you cook?"

"Yes, a little, but after a long day it's sometimes too much and I go for a ready meal."

"Oh, that'll never do. Maybe you should eat here more often." I realised what I'd just said and coloured up.

"Good to know that you embarrass as well."

"Faith's right. She's actually a better cook than me now, but for goodness sake don't tell her I said that."

"I'm still standing right here Mum."

I left them watching TV and went to bed. A couple of hours later I woke from a dream and heard noises. I went to see what it was and realised that it was my Mum screaming but not in pain. I smiled and went back to bed. My dream had been about Hope and she'd been screaming as well.

A shift

Hope came to see the band playing at Lipstick on Friday evening. I watched her as I played when I got the chance. She looked good, short skirt, blouse and heels. Her hair was in a lazy bun and her make-up understated but I loved how she looked. She seemed to be checking out what was going on around the club, the couples and the interactions.

During our break, I bought her a drink and chatted with her. "So, any new man on the horizon?"

"No. Since that arse dumped me I haven't even thought about dating. It makes me so angry. I threw up everything to come here and be with him. It just seems so, I don't know, unfair, horrible, whatever it is I might struggle to trust someone else for a while."

"That's awful. But that's men for you." I laughed.

"So women don't do that sort of thing?"

"Oh yes, they do and just as bad. There are a lot more short term relationships between women, or at least that's the way it seems to me."

"Do you do short term, one night stands?"

"A couple of times, but it leaves a bad feeling that I don't like it. I haven't dated in a while. I have these band mates, my Mum and I'm good. I've enjoyed your company as well in the last few months. Mum's found a new 'friend' recently."

She looked at me as if trying to decide if she should ask the question that was forming. "Is your Mum gay?"