All Comments on 'No Men to Love Ch. 02'

by vanmyers86

Sort by:
  • 18 Comments
MaonaighMaonaighover 5 years ago
The sweet smell of...

...sour milk and boiled cabbage. How very well you've captured the essence of the British big city boarding house (there were still places like that around in the early 60s with the added scent of stale urine for piquancy---happy days!). This is developing into a wonderful story, Van, a very gentle drama with thoroughly believable characters and I am looking forward to further chapters. Please keep writing because I think you'll become a real asset to this site.

TSreaderTSreaderover 5 years ago
A wonderful chapter to this story!

A lovely story is still unfolding! Thank you for sharing it with us!

HiddenInTheOpenHiddenInTheOpenabout 5 years ago
Great story!

I truly loved this story! Thank you for sharing it with us!

AnnasFriendAnnasFriendabout 5 years ago
Beautifully done

A story that is 100% believable and still extremely erotic. Bravo.

AnyMooseAnyMooseabout 5 years ago
Looking forward to more Allison & Rosalind

Quite lovely; please don't leave us hanging too long for their next chapter...

vanmyers86vanmyers86about 5 years agoAuthor
Another chapter is coming

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. Another chapter is in the works, and I hope to finish it in the next few weeks. Life sometimes intrudes on the important things!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Beautiful in its characterisation, warmth, and style

All your stories are lovely, creating both likeable and plausible characters, and writing with such vividness - I was tempted to say tactile quality. I hope you will continue; these really are superb. I agree with the other commentators, except that they really do not mention the excellence of your style. This story finishes on such an interesting note, with all sorts of uncertainties even with the benevolent characters surrounding the heroines; I am so glad there is another chapter to come. It is a rich enough scenario for many more.

netgnosticnetgnosticover 4 years ago
How did you do this to me?

How did you make this story so satisfying, yet make me hunger for so much more? There's more than a little poetry to your prose!

You have talent that can't be learned, and you have skill that no one is born with. I'll read everything you write.

Don't make me wait too long. I want to read the whole book, and I simply must get on with it!

BrokenSpokesBrokenSpokesover 4 years ago
A display of talent.

I love this second installment, and I find myself jealous of your facility with imagery. “Flavor text”, if you will, is something I try to really focus on and you have done well with that.

Thank you for this chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Better than most

Men rarely write good lesbian fiction, not to mention period pieces. However, this series, so far, is fantastic. You have an excellent way with phraseology and grammar, have captured lesbian exploration, and did very well describing post WW1 England. Please continue this series.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Perfect

What brilliant and touching work - you capture a slice of British history - my Aunt Mae and my Aunt Bess - great aunts really - I never knew them.

So many threads, the war, loneliness, stereotyped roles, love, abundance and poverty. This really could be a novel - not just a social history of 20th century Britain; but an exploration of the love two women find together - being written at a time when appreciation and understanding of lesbian and gay people has never been more important. Write on!

vanmyers86vanmyers86over 4 years agoAuthor

I very much appreciate your comments and feedback! It is so good to know that people are still finding and enjoying this love story.

I would like to clear up one point from a recent comment: I am female. No one has mistaken me for a boy since I was about 10 years old!

Hugs,

Van

BarryJames1952BarryJames1952almost 4 years ago

Truly beautiful

I hope you can keep up posting a story every day. I've now read your entire posted library and I'm already feeling symptoms of withdrawal. Thank you again for sharing your amazing abilities and insights into the human mind.

ScarelttScarelttover 3 years ago
Wonderful..

I guess I have to wait for the next chapter. It was wonderful to read.

Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

I've always felt that one of the unwritten rules of literatorica stories is that historical settings invariably make any piece worse, or, if really well executed, don't detract from it but also don't exactly improve it. This story, then, is either the exception to that rule or disproves it: You've managed to not only find an interesting setting, you've also fleshed it out just enough to pique my interest; and your style feels neither clichéd nor anachronistic. Not even your balancing act between tragedy and lighthearted moments feels contrived. Great work - and now excuse me, I'll go and check out your other pieces!

KingCuddleKingCuddleover 3 years ago
I browsed it...

No male interaction in a classroom full of them?

Why am I reading this? :+))

A-haaa! It's labeled "Lesbian"...

I pounced on it...based on the title.

My error.

The writing is, however, again...very excellent.

lilshymynxlilshymynxalmost 2 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. So tender and the imagery is fantastic.

okami1061okami1061about 1 year ago

In my life, I've seen and heard so much about the aftermath of war, but no matter what you see and hear you can't really feel it. It's an experience only those who actually go through it can feel.

In this case, I know a great deal about the Great War, all the political and military mistakes made, the lives lost, the hardships those at home faced. And the Spanish Flu.

But I never once put two and two together and guessed what it might have been like, so many lives lost to the war and then the Spanish Flu, for the women who had to rebuild afterwards. Quite unlike any other war in the last millennium. Especially in England.

It's no wonder the world needed the Roaring Twenties to forget.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
uservanmyers86@vanmyers86
"Becoming Who We Are," a non-erotic novel I wrote several years ago, has been posted. A couple of characters in it also appear in the upcoming Year of Yes, along with a few others from other pieces set in my Pennsylvania universe. I'm here because I love to write and read sto...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

No Men to Love Previous Part
No Men to Love Series Info