No More Swedish Meatballs Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

“You’ve done this a few times, I presume. You surprise me. I thought I knew you after all the years we worked together. When did you go into this line of work?”

“Oh. I worked with the Brits after the war. Me and a few other guys in my unit. We were tracking Nazi war criminals. I was enlisted by Hurst when I got back from Germany in ’48. Then there were a few developments on the domestic front and technology became the focal point of the group.”

Jim led the way through the foyer and into the elegant library. “Would you like a drink?” he asked while pouring himself a healthy shot of bourbon from a crystal decanter.

“Yeah., I’ll take some of what you’re pouring,” Karl said. “You know,” he said thoughtfully, “sometimes I feel like I missed out on a lot not being in the War.”

“Don’t be sorry you missed the military.

“I feel like I’ve been living with my head up my ass.”

“No. Your time has come. What you’re working on is vital. So don’t screw it up, okay?” Jim said half joking as he handed Karl his drink.

“I’m not the only one working on it.” Karl sniffed the bourbon, then drank deeply, welcoming the fiery taste and the warmth which spread through his body as the liquor worked its magic.

“No” Jim said. But there aren’t very many like you.

“Thank God for small favors.”

Jim laughed as he savored the drink. “Are you hungry? We should eat before we start. Let’s find out what’s cooking.” He stood and walked to the door indicating Karl should follow him.

The kitchen was at the back of the house. As they walked down the hall Karl got a glimpse of the stately and well furnished living room, parlor and dining room. The Kitchen was a chef’s fantasy land. Karl wondered what the house was normally used for – certainly not debriefing middle-aged engineers.

There was an in-house chef. Guess the Company boys don’t like to cook. Got better ways of getting their fingers dirty, Karl thought meanly. He realized he was pretty scared. Fear always brought out his mean streak. But the aroma in the room was inviting. Swedish meatballs? No. It couldn’t be. Close though. The chef had prepared an elegant stroganoff.

Dinner was served in the dining room and the debriefing team, consisting of Jim, two other agents, Mason and Anderson, and a stenographer, assembled for the first time. Names were not offered.

“So, what exactly am I in for?” Karl asked as dinner commenced.

“We use a variety of techniques,” Jim said. You don’t have any allergies do you?”

“Not that I know of.”

“Well, first you’ll be given a mild sedative and a drug we jokingly call truth serum.’

“You’re kidding.”

“No. It’s actually very pleasant.”

“Yeah, right,” Karl said unhappily.

“Then we have a nice long talk. We’ll simply help you reconstruct the past and remember everything you and Evelyn talked about over the past few years. We’ll use hypnosis as well. It’ll be relatively painless because you’re working with us.”

“How long will it take?”

“As long as necessary,” Jim said grimly. “Of course you’ll be on a regular sleep schedule.”

“Christ. Don’t forget about my diabetes. You don’t want me to go into shock.”

“We’ve got it covered. Don’t worry. Mason’s an MD. We’ll pull you out if we run into any problems.”

The group finished dinner and adjourned to the library where the first session was to be held. Karl felt sick and regretted eating. I’m not cut out for this he thought miserably as he felt the needle slip into his vein.

The debriefing went fast and was very productive. It took three days of intensive interrogation, going over and over the events of the past few years to ascertain everything Karl had divulged to Evelyn.

Afterwards Karl had very little memory of the long hours spent in the Princeton safe house. He was glad to be home with the kids. God, he’d missed them. They were all over him when he walked in the door. They wanted to know what happened and where he’d been. He shook his head. “I’m sorry, it’s classified,” was all he could say.

“But you’re alright?” Kristen asked, worriedly. I was afraid you were never coming back.”

“I wouldn’t do that to you, Kitten,” Karl said, giving her a big hug. “We’re all in this together.

“Do you still have a job?” Ned asked.

“Yes. You were right on target when you said they needed me. I had to sort a few things out with them. That’s why I was gone for so long.

Things settled down in the Hansen mansion after Karl’s return from Princeton. The kids bugged him about what happened while he was in Princeton but Karl remained reticent about the whole affair. The kids adjusted well to Evelyn’s absence. Except Ned was taciturn and bringing home failing grades. Elizabeth was often angry ands sullen and Kristen kept as low a profile as possible. Karl had sworn them to secrecy about Max and Evelyn’s intrigue. They complied for the most part.

During the first couple of months after Evelyn left house hold chores went basically unattended. Karl was swamped at work and stayed late most evenings. He was preoccupied and sometimes short with the kids.

Karl took Ned aside the day he brought home his first semester report card. He was in the 11th and his grades were only average. Karl talked to Ned long into the evening about the importance of education and opened up a bit about his problems at work. Karl was surprised at how receptive his teenage son was to a little extra interest and encouragement. After that Karl began to come home on time and pay more attention to the kids and the house hold. Things began to improve. Ned began to realize he wouldn’t make it to college if he didn’t shape up. He was fascinated by theoretical physics and he and his father began discussing problems after work.

Ned was impressed with the acuity of Ned’s mind. Seemingly overnight Ned started pulling in straight A’s. The kids began taking turns shopping, cleaning house and cooking and things began to run more smoothly.

Halloween came and went and Christmas loomed. Karl and the kids discussed what to do about the holiday. They decided to keep up the family tradition. Karl was working closely with Jim Phillips who was relieved the Hansens had been able to maintain normality during their troubles.

Evelyn and Max seemed to have disappeared off the face of the planet. Karl didn’t know it but the Company was making great efforts to locate the pair. Evelyn’s name was rarely mentioned at home. If the kids missed her they sure didn’t show Karl thought.

Rita and Kristen had become even closer friends during the past summer and fall. Despite Karl’s censure, Kristen had told Rita the story behind Evelyn’s disappearance. Rita didn’t believe the spy part which was well and good.

That fall Rita had finally won her parents’ consent to transfer to public school. The two girls were in seventh grade together. As Christmas approached they decided it was time for another adventure.

“Let’s take the train in to Philly and do some Christmas shopping Rita said brazenly early on a Saturday morning three weeks before Christmas.”

“By ourselves?” Kristen was excited by the idea.

“Sure. We’ve been there with our parents often enough. We know our way around. How much money do you have saved?”

“$15.00.” Kristen had been hording her allowance all fall in anticipation of Christmas. “How about you?”

”$22.00.”

Kristen was impressed. “I don’t know how you do it.” Thirty-seven dollars between them. It sounded like a fortune.

“So, are you in?” Rita pressed.

“Yeah. Let’s do it.”

Rita told her parents she was going shopping with the Hansens. Kristen told Karl she was going shopping with Rita and her sisters. Both girls managed to wrangle a couple more dollars from their unsuspecting parents.

“This’s great,” Rita said as they caught the 11:00 express to center city. The train was crowded. They found seats in the smoking car and watched the vista pass as the train chugged out of the station.

“Guess what I’ve got,” Kristen said with an air of mystery. She pulled out a pack of Tarryton cigarettes left behind by Evelyn.

Rita laughed. “You’re intrepid,” she said using her favorite adjective. “Let’s pretend we’re spies crossing the iron curtain,” Kristen suggested as she lit a cigarette. She choked and coughed for a minute. She’d only tried smoking once before. Rita was a little more experienced. Her older sisters both smoked. She lit up with a surprising air of experience for such a little girl.

They both thought they were the height of fashion as they sat puffing and dreaming up a scenario where an exotic stranger with a foreign accent tried to trap them on their way across the Berlin Wall.

“Where do you think your mom is?” Rita asked.

“I don’t know.” She didn’t want to talk about it. She got a sick feeling at the pit of her stomach every time she thought of her mother on the run with a foreign agent. She changed the subject. “Do you thing we’ll have a white Christmas?” Kristen asked as she struggled with the nausea and dizziness caused by the unfamiliar nicotine.

“I hope so,” Rita replied. We haven’t had any sledding yet. Or any snow days.”

A handsome conductor came through the car and punched their tickets. “Off for a little Christmas shopping ladies?” he asked giving them a knowing wink.

“Ladies!” Rita said happily. He must think we’re at least 17.

“At least,” Kristen agreed. I’ll bet he’s on our side,” she said returning to their game of make believe. He’s too handsome to be a bad guy. On the on the other hand, that guy over there,” she whispered, indicating a shady looking middle aged passenger, “ is from Moscow. He’s watching us she realized with concern. He must be a pervert. She stubbed out her cigarette “Come on, Rita” she said in a low voice, “let’s change cars. I don’t like the look of that guy.”

Rita glanced at him and agreed. “He’s not a very good spy” she said dismissively not wanting to reveal her fear.

“I don’t think he’s a spy,” Kristen said as they walked through the car, swaying with the motion of the train. “I think he’s a pervert. Is he following us?”

Rita peered back into the car as she struggled to pull open the heavy door leading to the next car. “No,” she said, relieved. “He’s reading his paper. Let’s go to the back of the train. I want to get as far away from him as possible.

They made their way through the train as it sped through the suburbs on its way to Philadelphia. They found seats in the end car and tried to enjoy the rest of the trip. There was no sign of the man when they disembarked in center city. “He must have gotten off at an earlier stop” Kristen said, relieved.

The girls stopped for lunch at a diner inside the big, sprawling train station. They watched ice skaters at the adjacent pavilion as they munched grilled cheese sandwiches and sipped coca-colas.

“Let’s go skating,” Kristen suggested as they slipped out of the diner, neatly pocketing their check. This was one of their little secrets. They’d discovered last summer that few shop keepers suspect innocent little 11 year olds of having larcenous hearts. Rita was good at making things disappear. It was part of her magic.

“No.” Rita censured the idea. “It’s too expensive. Let’s go look at the Christmas displays.”

So they left the station and walked into the clear cold December day.

The city was festive – completely decked out for the season. Rita smiled as she gazed at Wanamaker’s windows. “I think we should pay for our acquisitions today,” referring to shoplifting excursions they’d made in the past.

Kristen had been thinking the same thing. “they say you shouldn’t use magic for personal gain. If you do trouble comes to you threefold.” She couldn’t help thinking about the day Evelyn left. Kristen had used magic to blow away the thunder storm. At least that’s what she thought happened.

Having reached their decision the girls wandered over to Gimble’s to begin their shopping. The day passed quickly. Before the knew it, it was way past time to head home. They hurried to the train station carrying their purchases. The barely caught the 5:00 back to Paoli.

“Whew, what was close,” Rita said as they caught their breath on the platform. They didn’t notice the ugly man from the morning train who had tracked their progress through the city during the day and followed them onto the train.

It was way past dark when the train pulled into the Paoli. The girls rushed home both fearing their cover stories had been blown. But their luck held. The O’Learys and Karl hadn’t compared notes as to the whereabouts of their wayward daughters. Each thought the other had simply gotten caught up in Christmas shopping madness. When Kristen slipped in the back door Karl only raised his head from his project long enough to tell Kristen her dinner was being kept warm for her in the oven, and that Elizabeth and Ned had gone to a tree trimming party at Lizzy’s friend, Katie’s house.

“Too bad you’re so late coming back. You’re missing the party. Jeez,” he said,” pointing at Kristen’s armful of packages. I hope you left something in the stores for us to buy next week.” Next Saturday the family was making it’s annual foray into the Reading Terminal Market. Like usual they were going to go Christmas shopping after the main event.

“Don’t be silly, Dad. I barely made a dent in my shopping, Kristen said, relieved her little adventure hadn’t been discovered. “I don’t mind about the party. There’s never anyone interesting at their parties anyway.”

“Well, enjoy your dinner. I have to finish this up tonight,” Karl said referring to the pile of papers spread out on the dining room table.”

“Okay.”

A week later the family made its annual Christmas foray into the city. Somehow the trip seemed flat without Evelyn. Karl knew it was finally sinking home with the kids that Evelyn wasn’t coming back. He thought it was strange they hadn’t had as much as a post card from her in over six months. He wondered if she was dead. Maybe she’d become a liability to Max once her line in to the Company was severed. He prayed he was wrong. Nah, he assured himself. They’re probably celebrating Christmas at some swanky ski resort in Switzerland or having a holiday in Buenos Ares. Evelyn loves the ocean. He tried not to think about her in the past tense.

They cut the trip short, hurrying through their Christmas shopping at Wanamakers and Gimbels. Kristen was glad she and Rita had made their trip the previous week.

“I thought you said you had more Christmas shopping to do,” Karl said questioningly when the family met up at the car to head home.”

“I lied. I was hoping to wrangle a few extra bucks from you. Thought maybe I’d buy myself a present this year. But I decided that wouldn’t be in keeping with the spirit of the season.” Kristen was poking gentle fun at her father, who always referred to the season as $mas or Bucksmas.

When they arrived at home they decided to dispel the remnants of their dower mood by putting up the Christmas tree and beginning food preparation for the Christmas Eve party after dinner. Ned got stuck with the hassle of sorting out and testing the Christmas tree lights. Karl and Lizzy did the dirty work of skinning and de-boning the salt herring while Kristen looked for Evelyn’s recipe box. Karl broke out a bottle of red wine and let the kids have each have a watered-down glass. Rita rang the door bell right in the middle of things and was invited to join in the fun.

She was excited. “They say it’s gonna snow tonight, big time,” she said cheerfully as she accepted a cookie from Kristen. She wrinkled her nose in disgust when Lizzy offered her a piece of fillet salt herring. “Oh gross. That’s disgusting Lizzy,” she laughed. “Look, even Felix won’t touch that stuff. I pity you if you’re going to school smelling like on Monday. That is if there is school.” Rita chattered away as was her habit. “Wow, look at that tree. Gosh Ned, you’re doing a great job. Can I help?’ she asked flirtatiously. She was a precocious thirteen year old and had recently discovered that boys in general and Ned in particular were very interesting creatures. “Aren’t you going to offer me a glass of wine?”

“Uh, I guess so,” Ned hadn’t yet figured out how to handle Rita’s little crush. He liked her fine, but gosh, she was four years younger than him. She was awful cute, though. Ned, too, had developed quite an interest in the opposite sex. He looked towards Karl for help. Karl shook his head.

“I can’t send you home smelling of booze, Rita, sorry,” Karl said, amused at the two kids’ teenage awkwardness. But we have some cider if you want.

“Coke would be better,” Rita said, disappointed. Then she walked over to the tree. “Here Ned, let me help you with the ornaments. Gosh your tree’s pretty. We always have that sad, silver tinsel thing. I’m sure glad you guys invited me to the party this year. It’s gonna be a lot of fun.”

Kristen was disgusted by her friend’s capriciousness. Rita was changing. Kristen didn’t like it. She’d had enough changes for one year. She wanted to say something witty or stinging but her tongue got all twisted up. She retreated into the kitchen with her face like a thunder cloud.

“What’s wrong with you?” Lizzy asked. As far as she was concerned the evening was going great. She’d been able to spend some real time with Karl. She loved it when Karl had his attention focused on her instead of work or boring Ned.

“Nothing,” Kristen said sourly. Karl raised an eyebrow at Kristen’s sour tone.

“Really, it’s nothing. Just, Rita can be so sappy. And over Ned!”

Lizzy laughed. “Your jealous. Ha! Kristen’s jealous, Kristen’s jealous,” she taunted. Lizzy had a way of punching Kristen’s buttons. Kristen tried to slap Lizzy in the face but Lizzy was too fast for her. She continued to taunt Kristen as she danced around the room.

“Kristen was really seeing red. She looked towards her father for help. He just shook his head. “Don’t be so sensitive. Lizzy wouldn’t tease if she didn’t know she could get a rise out of you.

“Oh, forget it,” Kristen said angrily and left the kitchen in a huff. The living room was no better. Rita and Ned were laughing and flirting as they decorated the Swiss pine. Kristen’s face was as hot as the fire which was cracking cheerfully in the fireplace. She decided to take a walk to cool off. No one would notice her anyway. Sometimes Kristen was so lonely she felt like the only person in the world.

She slipped out the front door without a backward glance. It had started snowing hard just about the time Rita had arrived at the house. The world had been transformed to a magic fairy land in minutes.

Kristen stared transfixed at the snowflakes as they danced and whirled around the street light. There was a muffled hush in the air. It was so still Kristen could hear her heart beat. Her breath came out as a frosty mist in the darkness. It was so beautiful. Kristen’s anger began to cool. She’d walked off without her coat but she didn’t feel cold at all. She decided to march into Paoli and look at the town Christmas tree in the snow.

She walked alone in her snowy fairy land for about a half hour. The town was beautiful. About fifteen minutes into her march she began to sing Christmas carols. Her mood lifted and she felt like a little kid again. She could almost hear Santa’s sleigh off in the distance.

She arrived home chilled and glowing from the walk and slipped in the side door. Surprisingly, no one seemed to have missed her. Karl and Lizzy had joined in decorating the tree. Kristen walked into the kitchen. Her loneliness returned, full force. She poured herself a real tall glass of wine, wondering if it would help. It used to help Evelyn, she realized. She chugged it down, surprised by the musty, biting taste and fiery warmth it brought to her face and guts.