No Respect

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Using the email account, no one knew I had sent all the videos that would not comprise my divorce case to the gossip lady. Every little detail she could milk out of them would become public in print. Without naming names, the way she wrote it would leave no doubt about who she was referring. The writer was a master at her craft.

My son came running in from the living room while I was doing prep work for supper. Dad, Mom, is on the early news. I went in and scrolled back so I could see what was going on. She was being escorted in wearing handcuffs. The next cut had a representative informing everyone she was being charged for being married in the eyes of the law to two men at the same time.

"Could she go to jail with that charge if she is convicted?" Carl asked.

"Yes! It is considered in this state a crime. How long she gets depends on a judge." I replied. "My Dad used to tell me that if you can't do the time, don't do the crime. That stopped me from doing a lot of stupid stuff when I was your age."

"How long will they keep her? My son asked.

"Until she sees a court judge and can post bail," I responded. "Depending on the division, she might already be out."

Carl and Carla came by to pick up the kids. Saturday morning, the boys would be going to a monster truck event. The girls had two games of soccer to attend, and I needed to get out of the house. "I can't believe it," Carl said. "Debra's being arrested for the charge of bigamy. She could get up to ten years, depending on the judge."

"I know dad, and it's going to get worse before it gets better." I replied. "It seems her lover was using bribes threats and blackmail to keep their relationship hidden. The District Attorney had gotten video proof from some who were Steve's victims."

I felt sorry for Carl because his daughter must have been tearing out his heart. Suddenly I was alone. I shouldn't have been because I was mentally and emotionally depressed. I wondered if this was what they called hitting the bottom, I sat on the stairs just crying, and my body would not allow me to stop. Some say depression is a form of healing or coping. If this was healing, what was hell? The human body, with its emotions, is a fragile thing. No matter what we as humans plan, we can't control when and how it will find its own release.

Three hours later I was sitting at the local park throwing unsalted peanuts to the squirrels not knowing what to do. Most don't realize how lonely a divorce can be. Those who you thought were friends distance themselves for their own protection, others because they don't know what to believe. Then there's the new difference between being single and all of your friends are married. Being single meant in a lot of situations you no longer fit in.

I was lost in thought. Utterly oblivious to everything around me. I didn't see or hear the person who sat down at the other end of the bench.

"I saw you sitting here and watched you for a while. It became painfully clear that the squirrels appeared to be your best friend. I had wondered if it had hit you yet and how you were coping Glenn. I guess I found out." Said Trisha Marsh. "The blues suck big time, don't they? You have to find your own way to shake them out."

"Easier said than done. Divorce I am learning is one that you must walk through alone. Most of your friends avoid you as if it is contagious." I replied."

"Come on let me buy you a coffee," Trish said. "No business talk, okay."

I agreed. I found out Trish was heading out to do her weekly shopping, so I joined her. It was interesting to discover her taste in food. She bought mostly frozen fast food for herself because with no one to cook for she had lost the interest. I knew that with my mother that was true. The problem was that along with that their diet suffered as well. I carried a basket of my own, and she saw me pick up a few items. When we got to the deli counter, I asked the clerk for twelve of their fresh wontons and a quarter pound of barbequed duck.

"I hope you like won ton soup." I said, "Because that's what I am making for supper if you agree."

"That's fine with me since we're only a block or two away from my apartment," Trish said.

After washing the vegetables, she watched me cut them up in equal portions. I told her I was using chicken stock because the wontons I had picked up, held more pork than beef. I then cut the precut duck the same way. She got out two pots; one I filled with water and a little salt the other with stock. As soon as the stock started boiling, I added the baby corn, water chestnuts spices, and duck. I was leaving the red, yellow-green peppers and snow peas last. As soon as the saltwater started boiling, I added the wontons to it to get them cooked. Just before I drained the water off the wontons when they were cooked, I added the fresh veggies to the soup then topped the soup with two caps of soy sauce. After tasting it, I added a little garlic powder. Finally, I added the wontons in with the rest then gave them time to absorb some of the soup's flavor. Then I served it.

As soon as Trish tasted the first spoonful, she was hooked. I had made enough for a few bowls figuring she could reheat the leftovers. She learned during our conversation that I preferred making my own wontons in large batches and freezing them. Another trick I explained would be to use a little less broth and adding corn starch as a thickening agent to make it a stew that could be served over rice. When she found out how little I had spent, she was shocked.

I left her place in good spirits. Trisha had accepted me for who I was. Surprisingly that was what I had needed all along. Validation of who you are goes a long way, and tonight it had moved mountains.

On Sunday as I read the morning paper, I notice the gossip lady had a two-page story about the ongoing conduct about a former president's actions to keep what she described as power and control over his personal situation. It included all thing like promotions, blackmail, and bribery. It ended up with the question, is it being investigated? If not, why?

I texted Trish and asked her if she was up for a day out with me to Coney Island. She was. We acted like teenagers on our first date. I wondered why she had never married. She explained her career always got in the way. Getting called out in the middle of something once too often puts a big damper on things. I could see it from both sides because of what my career had done to mine.

The in-laws and my kids were surprised by my good mood when I met them for Sunday dinner. All of them commented that they had not seen me this happy in weeks.

Nora called first thing Monday morning to inform me that I should expect the Chairman of the Board to quickly visit me unexpectedly as they were beginning the dance to get me back. The article that had broken out in Sunday's paper was forcing it because everybody knew who she was referring. Nora informed me the board was going to court to get a court order to force Steve and Robert to sell their shares because they were refusing to since they were no longer employed.

What came unexpectedly was a call from Debra asking if we could meet privately in a neutral place with no cell phones. I asked her to give me ten minutes to think about it, and I would call her back. I called Gordon, who told me that sometimes the best location for having a private conversation is in the middle of a crowd where people are free to move around. As a result, I met Debra at Nathans Hotdog stand in the park at one in the afternoon. We found a bench to sit on. We took our cell phones out and shut them off. Leaving them in plain view

"What do you want Debra," I asked coldly.

"I need to know if you know who is doing this to Steve and me," Debra said straightforwardly. "The gossip lady is pushing the police, almost leading them. Steven's corporation that he started has booted him out. Robert believes he's out too and now you refiled for an annulment."

"Well, Steven's problem comes from the board of directors I believe. I've been informed that is the source of the information the police are receiving. It's led them to discover facts and witnesses to events." I said. "I can't discuss anything about our situation because my lawyer doesn't want me to."

"So why did you agree to meet me then? Debra asked, "You know we have dug a huge hole for ourselves. I've been informed that Ms. Marsh turned her report over to the court late last week. We were told that the kids all wish to stay with you. With what Steven and I are facing, I must agree. The other lawyer says I could be facing a lot of time if the Judge handling the case agrees that in the eyes of the law, I was married to Steven. As he sees it; it boils down to a matter of interpretation of whether it is a marriage because it does not have a marriage certificate."

"I need to be able to pass on to the three children that I saw you today," I replied. "They will be asking me for my opinion on how you look."

"How are they doing emotionally?" Debra asked in genuine concern.

"They have their moments. It's bad at times because I can't explain or answer their questions," I said.

"What kind of questions?" Debra asked, looking for a way to come back into their lives.

"What did they do to deserve this kind of punishment?" I replied. "Even I have asked myself that a few times. You should author a book about being married to two men for almost twenty years and make it as sexy as you can. With all this interest it would be a best seller."

With that said, I stood up and walked away. Debra was Debra always thinking about herself first. She was like an old dog to set in her ways to ever change. Even worse, I couldn't feel sorry for her because I had just realized any emotions I had left, were dead.

I went home and checked my email and surprise there was a video of me. Debra's voice and my chat came through loud and clear. I forwarded it to the gossip lady with a massive smile on my face.

It came out in bold print on Tuesday in the gossip column that Debra James the bigamist was going to write A Tell All book about her eighteen years of being the wife of two men. This news only infuriated Carl and Carla Matthews even more because it appeared that their daughter was proud of what she had done.

Gordon called me Wednesday night with some good news, the day in divorce court had gone well. The divorce court Judge agreed that in the eyes of state law, she had been in a marriage already when we married. Since we were not legally married the annulment was granted. It gave him some options on the equity split of all assets. Although Debra's lawyer fought hard, the judge ruled that since she had worked from home Debra's corporation had to be considered a family asset. He ordered a sixty-five thirty-five split in my favor. Each would pay their own lawyers' fees. Debra's Lawyer tried to persuade him for a more equitable division. He replied since her first husband is not named in this divorce, and he was part of the scam, I awarded Glenn James his portion. I had to agree that we had hit her hard. I had been granted temporary sole custody until her criminal problems were cleared up, but I had to allow her unlimited access to her kids.

Steven Walker was arrested on Friday and suddenly a lot of people he had mistreated over the years found themselves in a legal situation that required them to cooperate with the district attorney's office. Debra's life was going downhill. A couple of months ago, she had two lovers to keep her warm at night. Now she had none.

I was busy working on the landscape around the house when the chairman of the board showed up.

"We need to have a serious one to one talk about this mess Glenn. I am hoping that you have had enough time." Bill Barrows said.

I stood up and offered Bill my hand he took it.

"It was never about the firm," I said. "It was because of the people in it."

A huge smile came across his face. "Thanks, that is what I needed to hear. Let's see if we can work it out."

We went into my kitchen, and we started discussing my situation. I learned a few things, and so did Bill. What had impressed me the most was his honesty. He held nothing back. It was nice to hear that once they had filed a suit to force them to sell their majority shares, they had agreed to exchange them from common to preferred shares. That move effectively removed them from having any say in the company. I told him that was one of my concerns. He went through each termination one by one and why and through those who quit. I told him that there were a few that I would like to try to rehire if I came back because, in a way, they were caught in the situation just like I had been. You can't blame people for things they did not know.

I was taken by surprise by the amount he offered on behalf of the firm to settle the suit. I called Gordon, who talked to Bill. I told Gordon to accept it. With that done he pulled out a contract for the Presidency of the firm and handed it to me.

"I know you won't commit to anything until your lawyer has the settlement cheque in his hand," Bill said. "While you're waiting for that to be completed review this. I think you will be more than pleased with it."

After he left, I was surprised at the time. We had talked for over three hours. I called Trisha, hoping she was not busy tonight. She wasn't. I asked her if she would like to join my family for a celebration dinner. "What are we celebrating?" she asked?

"My divorce, the winning of custody, the settlement of my suit against my former employer, and my possible returning to work. She agreed. I called a restaurant that had a small private section to see if it was available. It was. I booked it for eight pm. I called the in-laws, my mom, my sister, and her husband, who all agreed to come. I told my sister to bring her kids. I called Trisha to inform her I would pick her up at Seven.

We stopped on the way to Trisha's, so I could pick up a mixture of red and yellow roses done with some ferns in a charming vase. To thank her for all that she had done. The rest of the way over the kids teased me unmercifully about me having a crush while they discussed what they liked about her. I left the kids in the car as I went up to her apartment after getting buzzed in. Trisha loved the flowers, and she looked stunning.

Trisha Marsh was wearing a cute early summer yellow dress. Her blue eyes sparkled with surprise. She had prepared herself to make a good impression. She did.

"Since you brought flowers," Trisha said with a giggle, "Does this mean you consider this our first date?"

I wasn't sure what to say so as I tried to speak, I stuttered. Trisha smiled and took my hand, holding it.

"It's been a long time since I made a man speechless," Trisha said with a smile. "I'll take that as a yes."

To this day I have never forgotten that moment. We got in the car the kids were all over her telling her about my winning custody. I told her who else was coming to the celebration. Trisha said, "Wow, I meet the family on our first official date." Tammy, my eldest daughter, who took after her maternal grandmother Carla said she loved the flowers my dad had bought for her. Trisha then showed her the image she had captured of them that was now her home screen. Thanks to traffic we were ten minutes late in arriving. I had pre-ordered two bottles of one of their bestselling medium champagnes. Before I even got to make introduction Terri, my youngest daughter said everybody this is Trisha Marsh, our dad's girlfriend. Both Trisha and I broke in laughter. It set the mood for the night.

Over the dinner, I explained to all the ruling of the court and its decisions. Then went on to explain the pending settlement of the suit against the firm and their removal of Robert and Steven Walker from their management positions. The last news is that I have been offered the President's position. Trisha explained that she had been the Social Services Rep called in to check out the complaint on me and that was how we met.

Carl stood up with his champagne in his hand. "After all you have been through Glenn, Carla and I were worried that you would write us out of your life. Instead, you drew us closer. Congratulation, you're finally getting the respect you deserve. A toast to Glenn for being the kind of man he is and to Trisha who has made him smile again."

As we all were preparing to leave Carl took me aside and said we are taking the kids for the weekend. We will use our keys to stop by to pick up what we need. Don't waste time looking back. Start building your new life. I asked Trisha if she liked dancing and off, we went. I dropped her off at 3 AM after agreeing to pick her up at noon. We ended up spending most of the weekend together.

Monday morning after getting the kids off to school, I took my first look at the offer. It more than doubled my former wage, gave me built-in stock bonuses if certain conditions were met and a signing bonus that gave me two options, cash or common shares. Bill had already signed it. I called a business lawyer and made an appointment to review all the legal terms to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

At ten am as I was in the middle of doing laundry, there was a knock at my front door. I was surprised to see a short, tiny oriental lady when I answered the door. My first thought was the last thing I needed was a Jehovah Witness at my door. Her name was Lynn Wong, better known as the gossip lady. After introducing herself, I invited her in. Coffee or tea, I asked her. She said, "If you got a good stiff shot of gin that would be fine." A bit early for me, I thought but fine. I got her one and being a gentleman; I joined her by cracking a beer.

"Sorry to bother you, Mr. James," she said, "But I've got a video to show you."

After telling her to go ahead, I learned it was of Debra's and my chat. Then she played the conversation where my wife was claiming to her that it was never her intent to author a book. She wanted a retraction so she could start an appeal to her divorce case.

"Mr. James, I need your point of view before I make a decision about what to do." Lynn Wong explained.

I told her to turn on her recording apparatus and to let me know when I could begin. She did.

"Mrs. Wong, first, you have permission to print my name. What you have shown me is only part of the chat we had that day. We also discussed other things like our children and our divorce. In my eighteen years in marriage with her, we all have learned that everything she said to me was nothing but a lie. As a result of what has transpired, I can't say what she is saying is the truth." I explained. "Since whatever she said to me that I believed was a lie. I have to ask was she lying to you too? I can't say she wasn't, and that is what makes it so sad in the first place. Since I was not worth being honest too, in my eyes she's not worth lying about. I hope that helps to clarify things for you."

She replied yes, it does as she shut off her device.

"I think I'm going to use my column to do a bit of a survey. I will write out her chat with me word for word." She said, "beneath it will be our chat which we just ended. I will ask the readers who they believe."

"I look forward to reading it.' I said in complete honesty.

My dad had always believed that if you gave a person enough rope sooner or later, they would hang themselves. Debra was proving that right. For her, it was all about the money she was losing. I knew it; I think Mrs. Wong saw it too.

My ex called and said she would like to take our kids out for supper. I said they would all be home just after four pm and that she should come around then. She showed up just shortly after then. My eldest daughter answered the door. I heard her yell; our former mother is here. All I heard was the sound of running feet. I stayed right where I was in the kitchen. I didn't want to be accused of interfering with my ex's relationship with our children. A few minutes later, I heard the front door closed. Shortly afterward, my children walked in.