No Strings Pt. 03

Story Info
A womanizer's rocky road to finding true love.
9.1k words
4.76
4.8k
11

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/13/2023
Created 02/19/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SirAuthor
SirAuthor
580 Followers

NO STRINGS

Part Three of Three

~~~~~

TYING UP LOOSE ENDS

I. LOOSE ENDS - NATHAN

It was after eleven when Lynne got to Nathan's. He was waiting. When she left the party, all she told him was she needed to see her friend who was having a problem.

"Hey, honey, how did it go with your friend? Is she okay."

Lynne was dreading this, but she had decided to just meet it head on.

"Nathan, it was a he not a she, and he's fine now."

"I thought it was your girlfriend..."

"No. I just said a friend, but that was because I didn't want you to know whom I was going to see. I'm sorry, but at the time, I wasn't sure what I was going to be dealing with. Now, I know, and we have to talk."

"It was Matt, wasn't it?"

"Yes, and when he called, he said something that surprised me, then hung up, and didn't answer my calls when I tried to get him back on the line. He didn't sound well, so I got concerned, and went to check on him. It turned out he had gotten very drunk and passed out."

"So, what did he say?"

"That he loved me."

"I see, and you rushed right over there," Nathan said, a bit snidely.

"Yes, no. I mean, I needed to find out what was wrong...and if he meant what he said."

"So, what did you find out?" Nathan asked, though he obviously knew where this was headed.

"That Matt was serious, that he was in love with me, has been, even before I moved out. It's a long story, but when I got upset and moved in with Teresa, I didn't know that he felt that way. I thought just the opposite after the incident I told you about. Then his friend called and told me I was wrong. Long story short, I moved in with you and I shouldn't have..."

"Because you're in love with him."

In a small voice, she replied, "Yes, very much so. And if I had known how he felt, I would have never moved in with you. I'm sorry...I didn't mean for this to happen, and I know I wasn't honest with you. Because of how things happened...I thought it was over with him, and..."

"Now you know it's not. Lynne, I can't believe this; after all this time...I thought...You know how much I am in love with you...and we made these plans..."

"I know, and I know it's terrible timing. And I'm sorry, but I can't go with you. I can't lead you on...now that I know the truth. I, I have to do the right thing. Again, I'm very sorry, and I will pay for what you have spent on this trip..."

Nathan cut her off, "I don't want any money. I want...I want you."

"I'm sorry, Nathan. I am. But I can't change how I feel. I can't pretend anymore. I should never have ignored my feelings for Matt, and I should never have moved in with you and I should have never slept...Look, I don't know how else to say it. I've never lied about my feelings for you. I like you, I do, but..."

Nathan was visibly shaking, "I...I get it. I understand. I hate it, but I see...It's not meant to be. We're not meant to be...I just don't know how to deal with it. I don't..." he choked up and his eyes started to tear up.

Lynne closed the distance between them and took hold of his hands, "I'm so, so sorry."

He regained some of his composure, "So I guess I'm going to Niagara Falls by myself...Maybe I'll meet somebody there," he lightly joked, as tears ran down his face.

"Nathan, I want you to think about something, consider something..."

"Yes?"

"You know, Teresa really likes you, and she once told me she didn't think we were a good match. I think she meant she thought that she was a better match for you...She's very sweet, and pretty, maybe...well, just something to think about."

"Teresa's nice, and yes she's pretty, but she's not you...I'm sorry. I know...but what are you saying, that I should just switch to Teresa..."

"Nathan, please. All I'm saying is, you might want to consider asking her to go with you, so you don't have to go alone; and well, if something comes of it, great. If not, at least you wouldn't be going alone.

"I can't ask Teresa. And say what? Hey, Teresa, Lynne just dumped me, so you're my second choice; wanna go with me in her place?"

"Nathan, it wouldn't have to be like that. And I could talk to her, explain what has happened. I have to, anyway. I could just see how she reacts when I tell her you are going alone. It's not a bad idea. You guys might even have a good time."

"I don't know. It's pretty late to be asking, even if the circumstances were different," he replied, seeming to warm to the notion a little.

Lynne said, "I won't say anything if you don't want me to, but if you permit me..."

"I don't want to go alone...but it is paid for, so I guess I will go, and it would be better to go with someone..."

"Yes, absolutely. I won't say you are asking her. I'll just tell her what's happened and see how she responds, then I'll call you, okay?"

"Yeah, okay. And I'm sorry if I was a little harsh, but..."

"No, Nathan," Lynne quickly put it, "I totally understand. I do. So I'll see Teresa tomorrow and call you, okay?"

"Sure, thanks. And Lynne, I appreciate you being honest with me. I know it was hard for you."

"Yes, it is the hardest thing I've had to do since leaving my husband; harder actually."

Nathan nodded, then ventured, "I guess you won't be staying here tonight."

"No, I don't see how I can."

"You're right. It would be awkward. Um, I guess you need to get some stuff. I'm going to leave you to it."

"And I'll come back this coming weekend and get all my things, if that's okay?"

"Sure. Goodnight...and I guess, goodbye, Lynne."

"Goodnight, Nathan. I'm so very sorry," Lynne said and gave him a light hug and a kiss on the cheek.

He went to the fridge, got an open bottle of wine and took it to the balcony. Lynne packed a suitcase and left. Her head hurt and she was sick to her stomach, but also relieved. After she got to her car, she called Matt.

"Hey, Lynne, how did it go? Have you talked to him?"

"Yes. It went as well as could be expected. But honestly, I'm sick over it. I called to let you know I'm on my way."

"I'll see you when you get here...Lynne, I just want to let you know, I still love you."

She laughed, "You better, smart ass!" and hung up.

Then she called her friend, Teresa, and made a date for the next day.

II. LOOSE ENDS - MARLA

As soon as Lynne left to see Nathan, I called Marla. The conversation didn't go how I expected.

"Hi Matt. You're calling kind of late. I figure you're either horny; or you need a shoulder to cry on; or you made up with Lynne. Which is it, baby?"

"The last one, Marla. And I'm sorry to spring it on you like this, but we just worked things out and..."

Marla interrupted, "Honey, don't get twisted up about this. I'm not," she laughed lightly, "We had a good ride, so to speak, and I enjoyed every minute of it. And I appreciate you calling me, but I want to see you in person..."

"Um, Marla I can't do anything, I mean..."

"No, silly. I don't want you to come over so I can get a goodbye fuck...although, I wouldn't be opposed...No, I want to meet Lynne, and see you again..."

"You want to meet Lynne?"

"Yes, honey. Why don't you guys come for dinner sometime next week."

"Okay, but I have to go out of town. I leave in the morning and don't get back till Friday morning."

"Then let's make it Friday for dinner at my place. That will give me time..." the last said almost to herself, then, "And before you say you can't or don't think Lynne will want to meet me, I insist, so I'll see you both next Friday, say seven o'clock?"

"Sure. I'll drag Lynne kicking and screaming if I have to."

"Okay, doll, see you Friday. Good night."

"Good night, Marla."

I hung up, and though I couldn't fathom why Marla wanted to meet Lynne, I would honor her request, and I was fairly sure Lynne would be accommodating."

By the time Lynne got home...yes, it was going to be a home again; I was feeling better, though very tired and hungover, and now I had butterflies in my stomach again.

Lynne didn't get home till almost one, and a lot of things ran through my mind, including did she give Norman a farewell...well you know what I was thinking. When Lynne came through the door, I was kind of in a state, but I'd never been happier to see her. I just needed to know that everything was worked out, that everything was settled, copasetic.

As she came in, I was sitting at the table drinking a cup of coffee. I stood to greet her and she rushed into my arms, crying. I wasn't sure what to think.

"Are you okay; is everything okay?" I asked, worried.

She wrapped me up and buried her head in my chest. I held her while she cried. I was now more upset than I was before she got home. Finally she looked up at me.

"I'm sorry, Matt; just a lot of emotions. That was so difficult, but it's done, it's over. I, I hope you still want me..."

"You're kidding, right. Baby, I couldn't want you more. I have never wanted anything or anyone more...needed anyone more. You make my world right, and now I won't be killing any more butterflies."

"You've never explained that to me."

"Later. Right now, what matters is that you're here. So, how did it go? I know you said it was hard."

"I told him the truth. He took it hard, but understood."

"What about the trip?"

"He's still going. I'm going to talk to my girlfriend tomorrow, see if she's interested. I know she likes Nathan and he likes her."

"Matchmaking are you?" I grinned.

"I guess so. It's the least I could do. Nathan was pretty decent about everything. I think, deep down, he knew we weren't going to work out, even if you weren't in the picture...So did you call Marla, yet?"

"Yes, I did."

"How did that go?"

"It went amazingly well. Of course, we weren't dealing with anybody loving anybody. And she was actually very happy we did the right thing."

"Really?"

"Yes, but there's one thing she insisted on; she wants to meet you. She wants us to come for dinner next Friday."

"What? Really? And what did you tell her?"

"I promised her I would drag you there, if I had to."

"I'm worried about meeting her. I'll be honest, I'm not sure I want to. I mean, you know how you were worried about measuring up; well, so am I."

"You don't have to, Lynne, not about Marla. I have no feelings for Marla, except as a friend. It's like I said; we were just there for each other, mutually supportive in a very specific way, but it didn't mean anything more than that."

"Why does she want to meet me?"

"I'm not entirely sure, but I think she's curious more than anything. I guess we'll find out when we meet."

"Matt, I was thinking about something on the way here."

"I was too. I pretty sure we were thinking about the same thing. And I think we should wait until we are both in a better frame of mind, and I'm in a better physical state. I'm hungover and bushed; and I have to leave in the morning for L.A., so I need to get some sleep. I'm sorry, but I'll be gone all week. I don't get back till Friday noonish, and have to go straight to the office. I won't get to see you till that afternoon."

"No, that's fine. We've waited this long to be together; we can wait one more week."

"Can you watch Tom for me. Sylvia was going to, but since you'll be here..."

"Of course. And I'll start moving some things over. When you get back, we can move the rest. It will be convenient. Nathan will be gone, so no awkwardness."

"Well, I think we have a plan. I'm going to crash. Maybe you could take me to the airport in the morning?"

"I'd love to. What time?"

"I need to leave here at nine."

"See you in the morning, honey."

We kissed goodnight. I set an alarm and crashed.

The next morning, after we had a light breakfast, Lynne took me to the airport, then went to meet with her girlfriend.

III. MATCHMAKING

When Lynne got to Teresa's, her girlfriend was anxious. In her phone call, Lynne didn't explain what the visit was about, just that she needed to talk to her.

"Hey Lynne, how are you doing? You look...well, better than I've seen you in a while," she observed as they hugged.

"Yes. I have a lot to tell you."

"Would you like some tea, I put some water on; it should be ready."

"Love some, thanks."

After getting their tea and settling at the table, Teresa asked, "So..."

"Well, first of all, Matt and I have resolved everything. It turns out he was in love with me all along. We are together now, and I am moving in with him."

"Oh that's wonderful. Finally, you're doing the right thing," Teresa remarked, and got up to give Lynne a big hug. "But what about Nathan? Have you told him?" she asked as she sat down.

"Yes. I met with him last night and told him everything. He took it very hard, and I felt terrible, but it's done."

"What's he going to do? I mean, about the trip you guys had planned?"

"He's going by himself."

"What? You're kidding! By himself? That is terrible."

"Unless he can find somebody to go with him..." Lynne floated.

"At this point, who could he find, unless he has somebody waiting in the wings? And I can't imagine that. He was head over heels for you."

"Well, I can think of one person...one person he would consider."

"Who?"

"You."

"What? You're kidding, right?"

"No, I'm not. He likes you, Teresa, and I think it's a good idea. I know you like him. And it would mean a lot to me. There would be no expectations, no strings. You guys could just go and have a good time. If something comes of it, great, if not..."

"I don't know. I'd feel kind of funny. I mean, he is in love with you..."

"But he knows that is over, and he told me he was amenable to the idea. Teresa, you know, I made a big mistake with Matt. I think maybe you should think about this with that in mind - that if you don't take advantage of this opportunity, you might regret it later."

"Okay, um...I don't know. I mean how, you know. I can't just call..."

"I'll call him. He's expecting me to. I just need the word from you..."

Teresa furrowed her brow, obviously considering it. After a moment, she smiled, "Word."

"I'll call him right now."

Lynne called Nathan and assured him Teresa was interested in going, and they worked things out, then she headed home. After work each day, she packed and prepared for moving. It was difficult and awkward with Nathan, but after Monday night, he figured out to leave and go to dinner while she was there packing.

By Friday, Lynne was tired and stressed, but more than that, she was extremely anxious. It had been a long week, and her mind had been going in circles, dealing with Nathan, packing, thinking about meeting Marla; but most of all, she was anxious about starting her life with Matt. It didn't feel real yet, and she had insecurities. They hadn't even made love; they really hadn't even dated, not romantically. She got Friday off, and spent her morning trying to gather her wits about her, unsuccessfully. By the time she picked up Matt at the airport, she was about to come apart at the seams.

When she met him at baggage claim, her heart about burst.

IV. DINNER WITH MARLA

I saw Lynne as soon as I got to my carousel. My heart leapt into my throat and a whole swarm of giant butterflies filled my stomach.

"Hi honey. It is so good to see you," I said as Lynne and I rushed together and grabbed each other up in a crushing hug. I could feel Lynne shaking, and when we separated, she had tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Oh Matt, I'm so glad you're back, I was about to lose my mind."

"I'm here now, baby. Whatever's wrong, everything is going to be okay. I've got you," I assured her as I pulled her back against me and held her.

As she drove me to work, she related everything that happened with Nathan and Teresa, her packing, the awkwardness with Nathan; her doubts and fears about us, whether everything was going to be okay; and her anxiety about meeting Marla. I talked her down from everything, and by the time we got to my office, she was better.

"Okay, baby, I'll be as quick as I can, but it will take at least an hour, so if you have something you want to do..."

"No, I'll just wait. Hurry back, my love," she replied with the sweetest smile.

Those were the best two words I'd heard in a very long time - 'my love'.

After I was done at the office, we headed to 'our' apartment. We ate lunch, then spent the afternoon catching up, talking about everything that had happened (I explained about the butterflies); then around five p.m., Lynne said she had to get ready; she wanted to make a good impression. I dressed in one of my nicest dress shirts, and a pair of my best slacks.

When Lynne came out of her room, she was wearing an ivory pantsuit with a dark-blue silk blouse. She had her long, blond hair gathered in a dark-blue clasp and pulled over her left shoulder. She had on a pair of navy-blue heels to match her outfit, the tallest I'd seen her wear. She looked like a million bucks.

I looked like a buck ninety-five.

"Wow! You look stunning," I exclaimed, "You don't have to worry about making a good impression on Marla."

"Thank you, but I still have misgivings about meeting her. You've made love to Marla. And we've only kissed. That bothers me; meeting her knowing she has been intimate with you and I haven't..."

I pulled her to me and hugged her, "That doesn't matter to me and it won't matter to Marla, but I understand why it bothers you. Of course, we could solve this with a quicky, right now."

She separated from me and smacked my arm, "Smart ass...But if you really want to, I'm game," she parried.

"Okay, you're not playing fair, again."

"My job," she grinned.

We headed to Marla's and when we got to the private, divided lane that led to her house, Lynne noticed that the guard just waved me through.

"So I guess you've been here more than a few times," she coyly observed.

I lied, "I have a sticker on my car."

"Really?"

"No. I've been here a few times."

"Smart ass. So this is a pretty exclusive area? And Marla's rich?"

"Um, very, and very."

When we pulled up to Marla's gate, I punched in the code and it slid open; then we drove up and parked in front.

"Wow, that's an amazing house! You said she was rich, but, I had no idea," she remarked.

"Yeah, wait till you see inside. Oh, and don't get out yet. I'll get the door for you."

"Putting on airs, or is it required here?" she joked.

"No, it's kind of a necessity. You'll see."

I got out and went around my SUV. As soon as I did, Daedalus and Icarus came running out, straight for me.

"Matt!" I heard Lynne shout from the car.

"It's okay," I reassured her as the dogs came up to me.

"Hey boys, how you doing. No treats, sorry, I forgot," I petted and scratched them, then told them to sit. I had Lynne get out of the vehicle and told the dogs she was a 'friend', then had them smell her hand while I held it. At that point, Marla came out.

"Oh, sorry. I forgot to lock them up."

"It's okay. We're fine. Good boys, now, go lie down!" The dogs scampered off and we headed to the steps as Marla came down to greet us.

Lynne whispered to me, "You bastard, she's beautiful, stunning."

Marla was dressed in a simple pale-blue blouse and dark-blue slacks, but she did look stunning. I was just happy she had clothes on.

"Hi Lynne. I'm very happy to finally meet you," Marla said as she reached and wrapped Lynne up in a big hug, surprising her and me.

"Lynne, I have to tell you, Matt said you were beautiful; but he lied...You're gorgeous! Come in, come in," she said as she turned and hugged me, giving me a kiss on the cheek.

When we entered the foyer, we were greeted by wonderful aromas.

"I hope filets are okay. I have everything prepared, just have to put the steaks on the grill," Marla explained as she led us to the kitchen.

SirAuthor
SirAuthor
580 Followers