All Comments on 'No Visible Means of Support'

by Trionyx

Sort by:
  • 40 Comments
LenardSpencerLenardSpencerabout 2 years ago

I enjoyed the story. Thank you. One pedantic point though: A Corporation is a Company. A Company has owners. The owners "own" the assets of the company, so she would have to be the owner. That would mean her assets (the corporation) would be part of her asset base. The only way the system could operate as described is if the Funds had been placed in a Trust. A Trust is quite different to a Corporation. She (and probably her daughter) would be the beneficiaries. The assets would be "owned" by the Trust and administered by the Trustee, in this case the lawyer. Only then would the assets NOT be in her asset base and therefore not considered as marital assets. I've been involved in this for 30 years and have worked on possibly thousands of cases. Cheers.

rflikeslitrflikeslitabout 2 years ago

Awesome…….thank you for a good story about reality

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireabout 2 years ago

Nice job, Trionyx! I considered a somewhat similar storyline but rejected it since I couldn’t come up with the right angle to pursue. You found it and ran beautifully with it, marking Geena’s initial situation and her decisions that followed flow both naturally and believably. The decision near the end was tough but well made ending in a great outcome. Excellent work!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Very nice work, 5 stars. That said, Larry was a dick. Once she told him "nothing illegal, nothing shady, nothing immoral," he needed to shut up.

Ultimately, he stopped seeing her because he didn't trust her. That should have told her everything about their "relationship" that she needed to know.

WargamerWargamerabout 2 years ago

Lovely romance, l really liked it. I thought l wouldn’t l was not sure of your work. But l will read more of your stories now

Well done Trionyx

.

Scores 5;5

reader1000reader1000about 2 years ago

Well-written and believable with both good back stories and strong character development. Continuing tension followed by a resolution is excellent technique. As to the pedantic legal "correction" that really depends on the location. In a community property state assets individually held prior to the marriage can be brought in as community marital assets or excluded by agreement, remaining separate from the marital assets acquired thereafter. The letter signed and witnessed would serve to do that. That letter is then a form of pre-nuptial agreement though without needing to discuss a possible dissolution of the not yet formed union. A trust would also work in both community property states and in all others, as Lenard stated.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 2 years ago

Beautiful, uplifting story. I rarely venture into this genre on this site, but for Randi’s events I make an exception. So glad I caught this one. Solid narrative with believable plot and characters. If only all lottery winners ended up like Geena. 5*

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarabout 2 years ago

Nicely done. An interesting and believable story line. 5*

FireFox59FireFox59about 2 years ago

Wonderful story!! Thanks for posting.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958about 2 years ago

Dope story. Thank you for writing. May we have another, please? Randi.

Rancher46Rancher46about 2 years ago

Enjoyed the story, it was well written and just enough drama to keep it interesting. Well done 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Randi,

What does "Dope story" mean?

GGPa

muskyboymuskyboyabout 2 years ago

Very nice, thank you for this.

PurplefizzPurplefizzabout 2 years ago

Lovely story, all the characters are fairly well drawn and the story has a good pace, I’d like to think Geena would have spoken about a plausible cover story for her apparent lack of “visible means of support” with her Accountant and/or her Lawyer prior to it coming up, but I guess it was a necessary plot device. Thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Nice little story but maybe a little more "zip" next time?

LwcbyLwcbyabout 2 years ago

Four stars, larry was an asshat, she should have dumped his punk ass! She told him several times it wasn’t illegal, but he’s a control freak douchebag, his character, and the fact she didn’t tell him to go fuck himself, is why I voted four, the more I think about it, should have been three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rnebularrnebularabout 2 years ago

Very nicely wrapped and tied up with a ribbon. Thank you for sharing this nice tale. It's good to read a light hearted story. 5*

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitabout 2 years ago

Good, but a little slow. Geneva is a good person with honest intentions. Probably the best thing for her to do, is have her company found a daycare, hiring Maria with a generous salary. The company could fund the daycare to help single mothers in financial distress. Nobody would ever have to know about her ownership.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 2 years ago

This is the 21st century, women are (hopefully) liberated, why shouldn't the woman pay for a date if she can, especially if she made the invitation.

\

It seemed that at SOME point she would have to come clean about the source of her money.

\

Why didn't she ask her lawyer for advice?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Wonderful story. She did everything right and her need for secrecy is completely understandable for someone with her prior life. Thanks for posting such a lovely story. 5 stars.

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 2 years ago

Lotto winners often get a lot of hassle due to their wins.

Glad Geena was able to fix it with Larry. An entertaining 5* story.

linnearlinnearabout 2 years ago

Wonderful story. I also wonder why some men are intimidating by a woman paying, both my wife and I take turns paying.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

This story had a grasp of reality and could be used as a How To guide for Lottery winners. A few internet stories and evening specials have a lot of Lottery winners who suddenly find long lost relatives who need just a little help, or they buy that McMansion or Jag that they've always wanted with no thought about anything other than the initial costs and find themselves back to where they started before the big break. I don't understand many of the negative comments against Genna but then I'm looking at it without Nolan's male ego pride. Nor do I find Larry to be the control freak that lwcby condemns, just a person as who has seen too many criminal exposes where an insurance policy has led to sinister actions and he doesn't want to be a victim.

JacktacularJacktacularabout 2 years ago

Hey I’m a retired at 30 carpenter that became a full-time homemaker when I remarried to a woman making 6 figures. I have now problem with it cause she loves and appreciates all I do.

So to all the guys who feel 'less manly' due to money. GROW THE FUCK UP, and get over yourself!!

Frank66Frank66about 2 years ago

I liked the story, but can't understand the fixation on her money. It was nobody's business but hers. And to pry into it is in extremely poor taste. Her previous boyfriend dumps her because she offered to treat him to dinner?? Shallow.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Nice romance.

Lottery winners do have problems with people trying to get their money. They do have to be careful. Also I can understand any-one becoming involved with a person with more money than it seems they could reasonably have, being concerned, one needs to know what one is getting into. So the issue of how they can learn to trust each other is real, and handled well here. And yes, even in 2022. there are men who don"t like a woman being wealthier than them, even though that should be an old-fashioned attitude by now. So I thought this was a realistic story and a nice gentle romance. Five stars.

DenaliFXDenaliFXabout 2 years ago

Lovely story - your range is impressive

tangledweedtangledweedabout 2 years ago

A surprisingly realistic scenario built around an unlikely bit of luck. Going from a just barely getting by, with the associated compromises made for survival, to having the discipline not to blow the windfall, gives a great insight to Geena's character. Having a fortune fall into your lap can scramble the brains of the smartest people, regardless of their initial wealth, so her calculated approach was fascinating.

.

I think a person in her situation could have allayed concerns with a simple story of having come into some money (via inheritance or other means), without divulging the total amount, but that wouldn't have helped the main conflict in the story; her distrust of men (well warranted in her case). I can't speak for anyone else, but having my partner have more money than me would probably be a relief from the stress of being the main provider for the family. That's just my personal opinion, whether my ego could handle it is something I never have had to face. I wouldn't end a relationship over the question of how they became wealthy, but would probably want to know more before marrying or moving in together.

.

Where I live, large lottery winners are obligated by lottery rules to have their identity revealed to claim their prizes, so in Canada this kind of stealth maneuvering would have been tougher, but possibly not impossible to pull off. Changing names immediately and moving a great distance might work if you didn't have a significant social media presence that leaves traceable clues.

.

I have read a couple of stories from this author and find them honest and well thought out, with believable characters. Nice job and full marks.

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66about 2 years ago

I am slowly working my way through the Money Honey stories, and just finished yours. A beautiful, 5 star story. Thank you! You have gained a nre follower.

Thank you Randi for running the event, and including a wide diversity of authors. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. 👏🖖

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I felt really good after reading this story. It has that “love conquers all” theme. Thanks

Five stars!

AardieAardieover 1 year ago

She could have asked him to sign an NDA, but that might have been a deal breaker, too.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Its a tough premise, but not one that should be difficult to write about. There are plenty of people with money who want to keep their wealth private, so a lottery winner is no different than an obscure heiress. Any person who thinks you have to "prove" you trust them is not a person to be trusted. Larry was supposedly an intelligent worldly person, so he should know that trust has to be earned. For him to assume that a person with money might be a criminal is very shallow and small minded, even bigoted: a person with money should be looked upon with suspicion, why? It appears you have a bias against wealth. Its very nice everything ended up so cozy and wholesome in the end. But if YOU ever win the lottery I hope you get A Lot better advice than what appears in this story. Thanks for the effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Larry was an egotistical idiot, convinced he understood everything about the world and relationships. She should have run for the hills.

My cousin (my closest friend growing up) MARRIED her dream guy, convinced that he earned his money "flipping" houses long before it was a thing. I thought the world of him, no pretensions in him at all. We used to go bowling together often, she asked my opinion and I said he was the salt of the earth.

I was one of his groomsmen. A few weeks after the wedding she called me freaking out.

Turns out, flipping houses was his HOBBY, he loved working with his hands, and didn't make much money on the houses. In fact, he'd DONATED two of them to social services to become group homes.

He inherited his late parents' millions, which was why he was free to indulge his hobby. She'd never pressed him for any explanations, and because of that she found her own prince

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A nice sweet story with a predictable ending.

All the drama about trying to hide/explain her no visible means of support I think is utter nonsense.

I understand that women, mothers particularly, need some of that knowledge so that they have future security. Most men aren't worried about that. I seriously know of no man who would break up a romance coz his girlfriend had lots of money. Maybe its a cultural thing.

All she had to do from the start of the problem was to take him down to see George and have him sign an NDC.

Or even get him to ring George at his lawyers office to confirm that she was all legit. A storm in a tea cup over nothing.

It was still a well written story, with a good beginning, an entertaining middle bit, and most importantly a reasonable planned ending. There were no noticeable spelling or grammatical mistakes, so that alone puts this little charmer in the top 10% of stories on this site.

Well done

FranziskaSissyFranziskaSissyabout 1 year ago

We all are hiding skeletons deep down in a rotten cage ….. deep anchored in our soul and those never seen sunlight again, true or? ….. but trust is something very special and may having the knowledge how your best part is living so well off, might be ok ….. she could have just laid it like an unknown relative left her a apanage a monthly payment ….. but yeah pressing the truth out of the citronella may kills the trust or ? Trust and truth and betrayal are so closely tied together so honesty is the only way

Lucky geena, just two dollar and hitting the jackpot, fabulous tale 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

wtf who are these morons who won't let a woman pay their dinner?!? lol

6King6King11 months ago

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

chasbo38chasbo384 months ago

Nice idea but a bit long for the amount of action.

sg1010sg10103 months ago

Thank You ! Your story mimics life. People keeping secrets, especially when asked, point blank, can / should be considered lying. Definitely a lesson in committed relationships with a focus on open communications.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTrionyx@Trionyx
Nov 30, 2023 I am honored that my story Last Few Days of Summer was voted the Readers Choice for First Time stories for 2022. Thank you for your votes and support. August 2022 I was surprised and pleased when my piece How to Fuck Without Saying Fuck was selected as the Reade...

SIMILAR Stories

The Unicorn 
4.84
1.9k
619
Irish Eyes 
4.82
3.5k
785
Equation 
4.81
1.3k
535
Sales Team 
4.83
3.8k
860
I'm 51 
4.83
760
585
More Stories