No Visible Means of Support

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I see."

"I want you to research where you might want to move. I recommend a medium sized city, maybe with a college and decent schools. You want to blend in and a real small town just wouldn't work."

"I'll look into it. Would I move there and hope to find a place?"

"I'll help you find a place on Craigs List and you can stay in a furnished apartment before you buy a house. When you buy the house, you'll want to pay only ten percent or so down and pay off the mortgage slowly. Paying for an entire house all at once will raise eyebrows.

"Now Geena, do I have your permission to proceed?"

"Yes, Sir. If you need to reach me, just leave a note in the equipment closet and I'll get in touch."

"Good idea. Things are going to move slowly at first, but once we do have a 'date' for your disappearance, we will need to move quickly and quietly. I'm thinking in about four to six weeks."

"OK, good. Thank you so much, Mr. Jones. I really appreciate it."

Two weeks later she told her babysitting clients she had an important meeting in the capital and had to be gone for the one day. She figured that would make the announcement about her closing the babysitting service sound more authentic. She and Mr. Jones drove up early in the morning with Emma in the back seat. They went in front of the judge and received a court approved name change. She and Emma now had the last name of Nelson. Emma was attentive in court but didn't seem to understand what was going on, mainly because Mr. Jones used big, complex terms such as 'progeny' instead of 'daughter.' The name change went without a hitch.

After court they went to a dealership and looked at a new, small SUV. It was roomy enough and had good mileage so he bought it using the firm's name and money. Arrangements were made to have it shipped to his office in Brownstone.

A few weeks later she was on pins and needles. On the Monday she privately told all of her clients about the 'advice' to close her service. The parents were saddened but no one questioned her story. One lady asked how Geena was going to survive but she deflected the question. The car's registration had been switched to her and had new plates. An apartment in Centerton had been arranged for, all paid through the firm's account.

Her biggest issue was dealing with Matt and how to explain to Emma they were moving so suddenly. Emma never did have many friends and Geena was sure she'd do well in the new location. She decided to quietly pack as little as she could, mainly clothes, her favorite MixMaster and a few momentos, but she would leave her dishes and the rest of the kitchen supplies behind.

She snuck out and loaded her with their belongings late on Saturday night while Emma slept soundly and Matt snored in his drunken stupor. She composed a little note for Matt to see when he woke up. She had wanted to leave him some money but Mr. Jones recommended against leaving too much, otherwise he might have put two and two together. In the end they agreed on several hundred dollars in used ten and twenty-dollar bills to make it appear legitimate.

Matt, This is to let you know Emma and I have moved out. Don't try to find us. Anything I left here is yours. I hope you get help with your alcohol problem. Here is a little bit to tide you over. Take care. Geena

Around six am she woke Emma and quietly told her to get dressed as they were going to be leaving early 'on a little trip.' Emma was still sleepy and didn't ask any questions and quietly followed her mother to the car. With her heart pounding heavily in her chest, she buckled Emma in, started the engine and pulled out of the park.

After driving a few minutes, she pulled over and called Mr. Jones telling him she had left the home. As planned, they met at his office where gave her all the documents she would be needing, such as a new driver's license, social security card and a passport application. She received banking information about two accounts along with debit and credit cards. He also gave her a new cell phone while taking her old one to destroy and gave her a new laptop computer, both of which had been purchased on her account. He told her the accountant would handle all the bill paying until she got settled and could take over. She handed him the keys and registration for her old car with instructions to donate it to a particular charity while he gave her keys to the new car and helped her move her belongings to it.

"What's going to happen with Matt?" he asked.

"I don't know and I don't care. Wait, that sounds harsh. I care about him and hope he gets better, but alcohol is killing him, so he'll have to make his own way to getting sober, that is if he wants to live."

"Well, good luck to you, Geena. I've really enjoyed helping you and remember, if you have any questions or need any more help, please call me."

"Thank you, Mr. Jones, you have been so kind to me. I'll miss working here and seeing you in the office," she said as she gave him a big, heartfelt hug before she turned to the car and drove away.

After she got out of Brownstone, she breathed a sigh of relief and smiled for the first time in four weeks. She had a new name and a new life. Her lawyer, accountant and financial advisor were all working to keep her situation under control. And she would soon have a new home! And most importantly, she'd never have to worry about money again.

The trip to Centerton was a blast. She told Emma about the move as they ate pancakes and bacon at a roadside restaurant. Emma seemed a bit overwhelmed by it all but was reassured everything was OK and no one was in trouble. Emma asked about Matt and Geena told her merely he was going to stay in Brownstone. This didn't seem to upset Emma at all. Geena took her time driving the eleven hundred miles while stopping frequently, visiting parks and seeing the sights.

She used the opportunity to teach Emma about words and how to understand them. If they came to a stop, she'd point out a word on a sign and get Emma to slowly pronounce it, helping her reading skills. Geena enjoyed it so much she decided to home school Emma for the rest of the fall and enroll her in kindergarten at the local schools after Christmas.

Three days later they pulled into Centerton. It was a nicely sized city with a small arts community, a growing tech presence, a lot of outdoor activities and a junior college. She knew many local students could pursue a four-year degree through a combination of classes at junior colleges and online classes through the state university system. There were several parks and some hiking/jogging trails in the foothills around the city. She was excited to finally be there.

After checking in with the rental agency, she received her keys and drove to the apartment. It was a modest sized two-bedroom unit and fully furnished, however she needed bedding and kitchen supplies. With a tired Emma in tow, she quickly went to a local box store and purchased the minimum to get them through the night. When she fell asleep that night it was as if the troubles of the world had disappeared.

Over the next few days, she finished buying all the basic equipment needed for the apartment and organized things to her liking. A quick trip to the local school got Emma registered for home schooling until January when she would begin kindergarten with the other kids. For the rest of the fall the two of them spent time schooling and exploring the area. It seemed to Geena Emma had quickly settled into her new home and was a lot happier than she had been previously. Geena certainly was, though she did wonder occasionally about how Matt was handling things.

Christmas was a quiet affair. Geena had no close family at all and due to her circumstances, she never told her two cousins about her situation. The two celebrated together and Santa was able to visit even though Emma had moved and changed her name. Late that evening after Emma had fallen asleep, Geena for the first time felt a tiny twinge of sadness. She realized she was lonely. Other than a nodding acquaintance with some of her neighbors, she had yet to make any friends. As she sat there listening to music and drinking her wine, she decided to make an effort to change her lifestyle. Once Emma was in school, Geena decided to find a job somewhere to keep herself busy. She also wanted to buy a new house once the weather improved in the spring.

Emma took to school with wild enthusiasm. She immediately found a 'bestest' friend, a sweet little girl named Sofia. Geena met Sofia's mother Maria and the two women would drink coffee or even a glass of wine while the girls played. After a couple of play dates, Maria boldly asked Geena about her background.

"Geena, you're not working. How do you survive?"

Geena's main concern up to that point was how she should present herself to others. Once the question came, she decided the simplest story was the best. "Well, I received some money months ago and decided to start new. I plan on getting a job here soon."

"Must be nice. Mario has to work overtime to help pay the bills while I've occasionally taken in children for day care."

"Oh, I've done that, too," replied Geena. That seemed to bond them; both knew what it was like to need extra cash to make it through the week. Fortunately, Maria never asked Geena again about the money.

Geena applied for a teacher's aid position at the school but was turned down as others had more experience. She decided to call Mr. Jones for a letter of recommendation.

"Hi, Mr. Jones, this is Geena."

"Geena, I'm so glad to hear from you. How are you?"

"I'm fine. Emma's in school and I'm looking for some work. I was turned down for a teacher's aide position. I didn't have much experience so I'm looking for a letter of..."

"Recommendation? Sure. I can tell them you were an essential employee here and that you were conscientious, punctual and hard working. All true, by the way. I'll send it to you soon.

"Are you meeting anyone? Doing anything fun?" he went on.

"Well, I've met one lady, our girls are best buds. She's nice, but I want to go to work and meet more people."

"Well, I'll send the letter. Say, have you thought about school for yourself?"

"Me? You serious?"

"Of course, I'm serious. I know you are a smart lady watching how you handled yourself with all of this. You could go far, stimulate your brain and college is a great way to meet people. Give it a thought."

"Maybe I will, Mr. Jones. And thank you for the letter."

"You take care, Geena. Keep in touch."

She was unable to find a job which fit her available hours so she ended up volunteering in the school's office as a gofer. She enjoyed meeting and working with the others. A few times she was invited to family functions with some of her coworkers and with parents of other children in Emma's class.

As it turned out, she became busier during the spring. She decided it was time to buy a house but was frightened of the whole process until the school principal referred her to a young female realtor in town. Suzanne worked with the largest real estate firm in the region and was highly respected. Geena was able to skate around the question of money again by saying she had received some money and a down payment and monthly payments would not be a problem. Suzanne spent a few hours outlining the process to Geena and while Emma was in class, they explored the available houses in the community. After several weeks of not finding the right house, Suzanne called one evening to tell Geena of a brand-new listing.

"You're gonna love it. It's right here in the city convenient to shops and schools. Two bedrooms with a large study nook off the common room. Two baths. Attached double garage. And the nice thing is the owners want to get rid of it quickly. I'm sure you could come to terms easily."

The next day after walking through the house, Geena smiled and said 'yes.' She contacted the accountant and had money for an earnest money payment sent and within twenty-four hours, she had the house spoken for. Over the next few weeks, she spoke with Mr. Jones frequently getting advice on how to handle the process. He told her Suzanne seemed to be doing honest work and in a few weeks, the house was Geena's. A few minor repairs were taken care of before she took possession.

She continued her volunteer work at Emma's school while she furnished the house and moved. It was very busy yet satisfying when she and Emma were in their new home.

By then, summer had arrived. Geena was still wanting to 'do' something with her life so she enrolled in the local junior college taking classes in office management while Emma was watched at the college's daycare. Although Geena was a few years older than most of her classmates, they seemed to accept her well. She was invited to study sessions and some weekend parties which she attended as long as she got babysitting for Emma. Fortunately, Maria was more than willing to earn extra money while Sofia and Emma played by themselves.

At one such party a sophomore named Nolan approached her. She figured he was a few years younger but he was friendly and attractive so she grabbed an extra glass of wine and let herself be led to the patio.

"I've been meaning to ask you Geena, but how come you're going to college now and not earlier. I mean, you're smart, and all."

"I, uh, I have a young daughter who was a surprise right after I started college. I finished just one quarter and became a mom."

"How old is she?"

"I get it," she laughed, "You're trying to figure out how old I am. Let's see. Pregnant at nineteen, delivered at twenty and she's six. You do the math. How old are you?"

"Gee, and I thought I was kinda old to be going here. I'm twenty-three."

"Just a baby," she joked as she teasingly pinched his cheek.

"Maybe so, but I did four years in the army, so not totally green."

"Ooh, well, you have been around. Where were you stationed?"

The conversation drifted on from there as they got to know each other. He seemed open and friendly and on her way home she actually thought she might want to go out with him. Several days later after class he did ask her out for a date. They agreed to seeing a movie and having a drink afterwards. She had a good time. Nolan seemed wiser and more mature than some of the other classmates. Their conversation at the bar was pleasant and intimate. When he dropped her off at Maria's to pick up Emma, he gave her a brief kiss goodnight. On her way home with a sleepy Emma, Geena was feeling quite good. Nolan seemed to be a nice guy; one she wouldn't mind getting to know a bit better.

Their next date was even nicer. They went dancing, something Geena hadn't done in years. He seemed to be a decent dancer and didn't hang all over her or try to feel her up. She rewarded him by dancing as close as possible during the slow tunes. She could feel his response, something which pleased her. It had been nearly a near since she had had anything besides a Ménage à moi and prior to that, sex had been basically transactional with Matt in order to keep a roof over her head. Nolan, on the other hand, seemed like a guy who would be fun in the sack. At the end of the date, she lingered with him at the door, kissing him deeply and warmly.

Next he invited her out to dinner but he seemed hesitant as he offered a simple meal at restaurant chain. She wondered whether money was an issue for him but she didn't want to embarrass him so she suggested he come to her place, meet Emma and have dinner with them. Emma was initially quite shy with him but he was friendly, sat on the floor with her and played with a few of her toys while she regaled him with stories about her dolls and the other toys. After a simple but tasty meal, Emma went to bed leaving the two adults alone in the living room.

"Thanks for entertaining her, Nolan. She can get fairly shy at times and she seemed to open up with you."

"Yeah. Sweet kid. Fun to hear her stories about her dolls. Uh, is her dad still involved?"

"No and, quite frankly, I don't have a clue where he is."

"So, you're doing it all on your own, huh?"

"Yup. Been that way since the beginning. I was involved with someone a while back and he was not a good role model. It was sweet seeing you interact with her the way you did."

"Say, you have a nice place here. What's the rent?"

There it was again: an innocent question could expose her past. She had practiced the answer several times and casually answered him. "No, I own it, well, the bank does, but I'm paying for it."

"Don't mean to pry, but how can you afford it. You're not working, are you?"

"I came into some money a while back and have been careful with it. I can manage this OK."

"Great. Lucky you. I'm still sharing an apartment over by school." He seemed to let the topic drop but the fear he'd be more inquisitive still lingered.

"Can I get you another glass of wine?"

"No, thanks. I've had two which is my usual limit, especially if I'm going to drive."

His remarks about alcohol were such a change from Matt that her heart soared with joy. After bringing him a glass of water, she sat next to him on the sofa with her legs curled under her and her head leaning on his shoulder.

"I really have enjoyed your being here tonight, Nolan."

"Yeah, thanks for having me," he whispered as he pulled her away from his shoulder, leaned over and kissed her warmly and deeply. She responded enthusiastically and before long they were making out like teenagers. At one pause in their kissing, she looked at him and giggled.

"How's it feel to make out with an older woman?"

"Feels nice. Real nice. Let's do some more," he growled softly in her ear as he nibbled on it. After some twenty minutes more on the couch she pulled from him with a smile.

"I could get used to your kisses, Young Fella," she chuckled. "I know you might be interested in going further, but I have to keep Emma in mind."

"No, I get it. You're right, I'd love to go further with you. You're sexy as all get out and your kisses are fabulous. But your daughter comes first in your life. I hope someday maybe we can take things a bit further."

"I think we can, we'll just have to see," she grinned.

"Look, Geena, I'd best be going. Let's do this again soon, OK?"

"Sure, let's," she answered with another deep kiss.

After that evening they got together at least once a week. He was working a part-time job and going to school so his free time was limited. They spent most of their time together on inexpensive activities like going to a park or hiking the trails around the community, frequently with Emma in tow. After several weeks she wanted to go out for a nice meal but worried he might be offended if she invited him but she eventually gathered the courage to call him.

"Uh, Nolan, I'd like to invite you out for dinner next weekend."

"Oh, you're inviting me? Shouldn't it be the other way around?"

"Well, maybe traditionally, but, I thought why not. So, the invite's out there."

"I see. Where?"

"How about we head up to the Winter Pass Café?"

"Ooh, that's pricey, from what I hear."

"You're worth it," she chuckled nervously. "Interested?"

"In the food, yeah. Are you sure you can afford it?"

"Umm-hmm. I can afford it. Look, we've been seeing each other for a little bit and I thought it would be nice to have a nice date. You know, nice food, some wine and maybe, well, who knows what might be for dessert?" she giggled.

"Let me think about it, OK? I'm a little embarrassed that you're buying, you know?"

"It's perfectly OK. I'm fine with paying. I can afford it, really. Don't be embarrassed."

"Uh, I'll get back to you."

Geena hung up the phone nearly in tears. She had invited a nice guy out for dinner and he seemed upset she'd pay. Maybe she'd overstepped things a bit by offering to pay, but dammit, she had the money and wanted to spend time with him and could easily afford it. Why couldn't she invite him? Two days later he called her back.