No Visible Means of Support

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, Honey, I do. I really do. But sometimes adults have problems and they... they can't be together, even though they want to."

"You're weird. If I like someone, I'll play with them and if I don't, I won't. If you like him, you should play with him."

Geena smiled through her tears and said, "You know, Emma, you are a very smart young lady. How about pizza tonight?"

The next weeks were misery for her but she knew she had to keep things private, even if it meant losing the best man she had ever met. Fortunately, Emma didn't question her about their relationship again and seemed to accept her mother and the teacher were no longer 'friends.'

-----

It was a sunny Wednesday when a package was delivered while she was studying for one of her classes. The UPS driver handed her the package with a smile and wished her a 'good day' before turning to his rig. With shaking hands, she turned the package over and saw Larry's name on the sender label. Wondering what it could be, she went to the desk, pulled out scissors and carefully opened the package. It was a brand-new book featuring some Asian themed art, an intriguing title and Larry's name on the cover. She flipped it over, looked at his picture and read the bio. Larry had been published! She was so excited for him! Her fingers trembled as she opened the cover. On the main title page there was a handwritten note over his signature.

Dearest Geena, I promised you the first copy of my first novel. It was officially published three days ago and is being sent to bookstores. It's also available on line. Pay attention to the character Himari who shows up near the end of the book. I based her personality entirely on you. I hope you enjoy it. With fondest regards and love, your Larry.

With tears stinging in her eyes, she opened the book to the first page. After reading the first few paragraphs, she knew the book would be a hit. She read until it was time to pick up Emma from school, putting the book down at the very last second. Larry wasn't on driveway duty, much to her relief, and she hurried Emma home, set her up with her own book and ploughed back into reading Larry's book. When Emma asked for dinner, Geena ordered takeout. Once Emma was asleep, Geena kept reading until the wee hours of the night. She did recognize herself in the character Himari, smiling as she read the passages about the main character falling in love with her. It was two am when she finished the book but she was too excited to sleep.

The next morning was a struggle but she was able to get Emma to school. Back home she collapsed for a long morning nap, waking around noon. In the bathroom she looked at an exhausted, frazzle-haired woman in the mirror. After showering and brushing her hair, she went back to the mirror and started to talk to herself.

"You're an idiot, Geena. He's a good guy. He obviously loves you. He remembered his promise and said right there in the book 'fondest regards and love.' Love! Have you ever had reason to doubt him? No, you stupid fool. He's been open with you. He adores Emma. She misses him. So why did you throw him away? Huh? Why?

"I'll tell you why: you're a stupid, dumb broad. That's why.

"Why don't you tell him? Tell him you're rich. It's no big fuckin' deal. He's not Matt. He won't try to take your money. And he won't blab it all over, you know he won't. And now he'll probably be rich, too. That book's gonna sell, you know it will.

"So, you stupid cow, what're you gonna do about it?"

She stared at herself in the mirror for several minutes with her mind racing, before she relaxed and began to smile.

Maria answered her phone on the first ring. "Geena, Dear, how are you doing?"

"I'm better. Really, I am. And I'm going to fix up things with Larry."

"You are? Goodie for you. That's so exciting. Can I help in anyway? Help with Emma?"

"Yes, would you please? I need a few hours this evening."

"You know," laughed Maria, "Tomorrow night might be better and I can keep her 'til Saturday."

"No, I'm worried he might have a date with someone or whatever."

"Larry's not like that. I bet he's lonely and I bet he misses you. So, tonight or tomorrow?"

"How about both? I'll see him for a few hours and if things work out, I'll definitely need you tomorrow," she giggled.

"Consider it done. Good luck."

-----

With her heart pounding double-time in her chest, Geena walked up to Larry's door. She could see the light from a TV cast on the curtains. No unusual noise or talking could be heard so she reached up and rapped on his door. Steps were heard coming to the door.

"Oh, Hi, Geena. What's up?"

"I read your book and..." she sniffled.

"And?"

"I love it. You're a fabulous writer. No wonder they published it so fast," she smiled at him, tears pooling in her eyes.

"Thank you."

"And you know, the best part was on the title page."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. It was. And Larry, in order to earn your love, I have a confession; something to get off my chest." She paused, looking at him while ignoring any apprehension that tried to creep into her mind.

"You see, even though my wants and needs are simple and modest, I'm rich. Unbelievably rich. Stinking rich, even."

"I figured you had some money, but the question still out there is..."

"Lottery. I won a ton of money with the only lotto ticket I've ever bought."

"So, all legal? On the up and up?"

"Yes. I didn't want to tell anyone and get hounded by remote relatives, scammers and everyone else back home. I had to leave my previous situation, the guy I was living with and I've actually changed my last name. I've gone pretty much into hiding so we can live a quiet, normal life."

"You're telling me this now because?"

"Because I love you and I know, well,....I hope you love me. You're right; we can't have secrets and this secret was huge. Up until now my lawyer, accountant and investment guy were the only ones who knew. Now you're only the fourth person to know."

"Would you like to come in?" he asked with a smile on his lips and his arms held open. She fell into them sobbing with happiness and relief. Once her tears eased, he led her to the sofa.

"Have a seat. So, you want to keep things quiet? I can promise you I'll never breathe a word about this to anyone."

"I know you won't and it's so embarrassing that I felt I couldn't trust you. Please forgive me?"

"There's nothing to forgive, though I am glad you finally felt comfortable enough to tell me."

"Thank you. You're so sweet to put up with me and my craziness."

"Forget about it. Hey, I was given a bottle of champagne by my brother when I told him I was going to write. He told me to open it when I had my first novel published. I can't think of a better time to celebrate the book and us than right now."

After she toasted congrats on his book and he toasted to her, they sipped the champagne. It was too tart, almost bitter and Geena tried to hide her dislike. He chuckled as he watched her and said, "This stuff's pretty bad, isn't it?"

She sheepishly nodded yes, put down her glass and slid over to him. "A kiss would taste better than any drink. Can I have one of those?"

His answer was to tip his head towards her and let his lips slowly meet hers. She was right: the kisses were much sweeter than any champagne.

-----

Maria's offer to babysit Emma that Friday night was gladly accepted by both Geena and Larry. Geena offered him a glass of wine when he arrived and served a simple but tasty meal. They raced through the clean up before she grabbed his hand and dragged him back to the bedroom. Their lovemaking was tender yet intense, soft yet powerful and touching yet lusty. With one of her climaxes, she felt such a powerful surge of bonding energy that she clung to him, crying tears of joy. She had never felt so close to another human with the exception of when she first held the newborn Emma in her arms.

Emma was beyond happy to have Larry back in their lives and the three of them continued to grow closer and closer. When he asked for Geena's hand in marriage, he made sure to ask Emma's permission as well. It was on a quiet evening after Emma had gone to bed that Larry brought up the issue of money to Geena.

"Honey, could we talk about what our financial situation will be after we get married?"

"Sure. What's on your mind?" she asked nervously.

"I love you and I want you. But I don't want your money. I hope you get that."

"Yeah, I get it. What brings this up?"

"I've been thinking. I'm doing pretty well with my writing. As you know, the publisher gave me a huge advance for a second book and if it sells anything like my first one, I'll have a nice income for quite some while."

"And?"

"I think we should have a prenuptial agreement."

"Why?"

"It's to protect you and your money."

"Do you think it's necessary? I mean, I trust you."

"That's great, I'm glad you do. But if we put it in writing, there'd be no question what we have is a relationship based on love, not money. And you'd know for sure that your money is totally safe."

Geena remained unconvinced but agreed to call Mr. Jones and run it by him. When she did, he reminded her the corporation owned the money, she didn't, though she was in control of how the earnings were spent. He did suggest a simple statement that both would sign acknowledging that fact would be a reasonable thing to have. He also recommended they come up with an understanding of how the household expenses would be divided. They agreed to simply split those expenses down the middle

Their wedding was held at a small chapel in town with a few guests including coworkers, his brother, sister and, of course, Maria and Sofia. Emma, of course, stood with them at the altar. They soon bought a larger house in the same neighborhood and within two years filled an extra bedroom with two wonderful twin boys.

Larry continued to write and soon began a third novel while agreeing to substitute teach on a limited basis. Geena was able to pursue both her volunteer work and college classes since Larry worked from his home office and could more easily help care for the kids.

She continued to earn more than enough money from the investments to share all household expenses with Larry. The excess monies were donated regularly, primarily to charities which helped people on the edge of disaster, as she had once been. And she never forgot the food bank in Brownstone. To this day they receive five thousand dollars every month from an anonymous donor to their continued astonishment and joy.

Trionyx -- March 2022