Norma Rogers Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Your friend

Changar

Jim took out the knife he always carried and slit the package under the seal. He opened it and found a small container like a makeup compact. When he opened the box, he found twenty diamonds. Jim whistled quietly. "There must be thousands of pounds worth here. I don't deserve this, but to return them would be slapping a good friend in the face. We will leave them here until we decide what to do with them." We put them back in the box, slid it back into the safe and called the clerk in and locked it again. The diamonds were the subject of much discussion over the next few weeks, but eventually we decided that they would stay in the safe at the bank and only be used in the case of extreme need.

Jim made lots of applications to the big construction companies, but while he had no problem getting jobs handling equipment, to break into management was a different thing. None of the companies would take his Army experience as counting for much, even though he commanded a unit of over 200 men, building and repairing airfields and base housing. He felt that his Irish background was being used against him. As he put it, he didn't fit the Public School mould.

Eventually, in utter frustration, he contacted several members of his old unit, and they put together the first Rogers Construction Company, specializing in repairing damaged housing. Jim did the design work and sourcing materials. In many cases they had to use salvaged material, demolishing old buildings for the local councils and using the materials from them to repair others that were not scheduled to be demolished. This meant cleaning off old bricks, and reusing slate and wood until new materials began to reach the market. I worked in the 'office', actually our front room, doing the bookkeeping, paying the bills and making up pay packets, so I could look after the children who had begun school. Fortunately for the company, we had been allowed to keep the phone that had been installed when I was Station Officer, otherwise we would have had problems getting one installed. Slowly, we began to build the company up. Much of our work consisted of the maintenance of rental housing owned by absentee landlords and administered by estate agents whose methods were to get the work done as cheaply as possible, so a small company like ours was kept quite busy.

Over the first five years after the war, rationing was still fairly tight; we definitely felt the effects of our government's decision to send part of what was being produced to Europe to help the different countries re-build. Our company was beginning to expand when disaster struck. Several of our workers had done the same as Jim, transferring to the A reserve after serving as volunteers during the war. In July of 1950, Jim was recalled to the Colours along with several of our men, due to the Korean War. We were left in the situation of completing what work we had left with the men that were left, and then the company was officially dissolved.

Jim was posted as Officer Commanding 'A' Squadron, of the Ist Training Regiment RE, at Merebrooke Camp, Malvern, near Worcester. 'A' Squadron was the administrative side of the regiment: the cooks, gym instructors, drill instructors, office personnel and people called on to perform the myriad tasks necessary to complete the behind-the-scenes running of the regiment. 'B' Squadron was the training squadron: the recruits in their individual parties who were taken and changed from young men fresh from their civilian occupations into recruits able to follow basic drill formations, able to fire and clean a rifle, and who would respond to orders and adapt to army life. From 1 TRRE, they would then be sent on for further training as drivers, field engineers, railway engineers, bomb disposal personnel, surveyors, plant operators and the many types of engineering that the modern army needed. Many of them were destined to serve in Korea.

Jim, like most of the permanent staff, was able to live away from barracks if he wished, so, after the company was dissolved, we contacted a removal company and, saying goodbye to our house in London that had seen such a big part of our lives, we followed Jim to Malvern, settling into a nice little cottage not far from the camp. Jim received a rent allowance, which helped, and we spent the next three years in the Cotswolds. Malvern was a Spa town and farming community, and had quite a lot of historical significance. For me it was a new experience as an Army wife, attending mess dinners and parties and finding myself acting as a role model for the younger officers' wives. I had never realized before how tightly knit the military community was, even for wives, and as the wife of one of the senior officers, I was expected to get to know the wives of the NCOs and Sappers of the permanent staff and have a fairly good idea of what happened in the small community of Merebrook.

Most of the families were in married quarters, and all of our younger children attended the same school just two miles away in Malvern Wells. While there was a social ladder, as it were, starting with the wife of the Commanding Officer, June Wells, then myself and Diane Jones, the wife of the OC of B squadron and extending into the lower ranks, it was only evident when there was an official function; otherwise, we were pretty relaxed with each other. Most of our children played together anyway, so it was impossible not to know what was happening in other families. Often, we found ourselves in the role of family counselors. Like most Army camps, with the various messes, NAAFI and local pubs, alcohol played a role. Of course we didn't have a lot to do with the new recruits other than act as guests at the Passing Out Parade of each Party as they left us to go on to further training. Really, I felt pity for them, as it seemed like they were a group of little boys starting out on an adventure, little knowing the shock that awaited them when the troop trains arrived at their next training camp.

Early in June of 1953, I came home from a shopping expedition to Worcester with Diane. She dropped me off at the cottage, and I took the shopping through to the kitchen where I got quite a surprise. Jim was sitting out on a garden chair on the lawn watching the children play. He was really early and must have had a lot on his mind, because when I went out to join him, and while the children saw me as they played, Jim didn't seem to notice me, even though I wasn't making any effort to be quiet.

I sat down in the chair beside him. "A penny for those thoughts," I said to him.

"Sure, and you can have them for free."

"Is there something going on?"

"Well, it looks like I will be back in Civvy Street before long; we had a visit from the Brigadier this morning. It looks like the talks at Panmunjom might bear fruit at long last, maybe as early as next month. That means that those of us called back from the reserve will be released. The time I had to serve on the class A reserve will be over, so I won't ever be called back. The question we have to ask ourselves is, what do we do now?"

I asked, "Do you want to start all over again building up a company, or going to University to study those things that the big companies deem important?"

"I can't say that either prospect appeals to me."

"Well, the farm isn't big enough for us as well as John and your parents, so, do you think we should go to Ireland and rent our own place, or maybe get into the construction there?"

"There wouldn't be much of a farm to rent, and besides, I'm not cut out for life as a farmer; I'm a soldier and an engineer. While there is some construction around Dublin, there really isn't that much. Actually, I've had another offer, but to take it, we would have to tear up our roots and leave the country."

I almost cried out in shock. "Leaving our families doesn't sound very appealing, right now, but what would the job be?"

Jim took an air mail letter out of his pocket and gave it to me. Seeing the address, I realized it was from Dan. After the usual greetings and generalities, Dan got down to business. He wrote, "Jim, the company is expanding and Dad isn't getting any younger. Alongside our usual lumber camp and mine buildings, we are getting into building homes, municipal buildings and schools, and we are starting to get into road construction. We have lots of workers, but what we need is someone who can look at the big picture and get things done without harming worker relationships. I've told Dad that I think that you are that man."

"I know this is sudden, but would you consider coming over and joining us after the Korean mess is done? The company would pay your transport and moving costs, and provide a house for you and Norma. Your salary would be management level, which is much more than you would get in Britain. I guarantee that if you or Norma doesn't like it here, then the company would pay your fares home. You would be doing Dad and me a great favor by coming over, and I can pretty well promise you that if things work out, we would be offering you a partnership in the company. Do us a favor and don't dismiss our offer out of hand. Take your time and think seriously about it. The residential market is beginning to open up, as land up here is being bought up for farms, and towns are expanding slowly. You could be in on the start of something big.

I looked at Jim, "What do you think?"

He looked at me earnestly. "Well, I would be reluctant to leave our families, but we must think of our own family first. It is a pretty good offer and something like I wanted to find after the war. And I would have found if I had been able to break through the anti-Irish prejudice that, deep down, still exists. If you go to some cities like Liverpool, it isn't hidden at all. It is so hard to deal with. I think we owe it to ourselves and the children to at least go to Canada House in London and look into the prospects of emigration to Canada. Then, we can sit down and talk to our parents and see how they feel about the prospect of us leaving and, of course, taking two of their grandchildren away. It would be hard on them, just as it would be hard on us not having them to turn to."

"Well, I must admit, if we were to go, I would miss our parents and families, but I feel almost a sense of adventure, that this is something that will eventually benefit us and the children. Here we have only just got rid of the rationing of sweets for the children, and who knows how long the other foods will be rationed? Clothing is expensive, and there isn't that much choice. Jobs are few and far between, and a lot of them under the Labour government have become closed shop. You have to be a member of a union to get in. I hear a lot from the younger wives about the Army, Navy and Air Force being the only places where young men can get employment. Is that the kind of world we want for the children?"

"Woman, you must have been reading my mind! That is exactly what I have been thinking, myself. I think I'll be requesting a week's leave, and if your parents can put up with us, we will go to Bromley and leave the children with them while we go ask some questions."

That was exactly what we did, and when Jim explained why he wanted leave, his commanding officer couldn't have been more helpful. Mum and Dad were overjoyed to see us, though they were not too happy about the reason for our visit, but as Mum said, our own family had to come first. When we went to Canada House, we were warmly welcomed and were told that, if Dan sent us a letter offering Jim the job, giving his salary and guaranteeing our outward travel expenses and our travel home if we had to come back, and we all passed medical examinations, they couldn't see any reason why our applications would be denied.

Mum was a little upset by our planning, and contacted Mhairi to enlist her help in convincing us to stay, but much to my surprise Mhairi wrote back saying she backed us up. She couldn't foresee any big improvements economically in either Ireland or England in the near future, and as long as we made time to visit them before we left, she was giving our plans her blessing. Of course, with her being Scottish and John being Irish, they were well used to family members leaving for other countries to make their living.

In July, after handing over his command, Jim was granted demobilization leave. To all intents and purposes he was a civilian; his commitment to the Reserve had been fully completed, so he was free to make any decisions he wished regarding his future. We went and stayed with Mum and Dad again while we went through the process of emigration and medicals, then we were told that we had permission to emigrate to Canada. We sold all our furniture by auction, as the cost of shipping was prohibitive; all we were taking were the family treasures that we had acquired over the years, such as photographs, bedding, pots and pans, crockery and clothing. We planned on going to the bank to take out the package of diamonds the day before we sailed. Jim was going to carry them and put them in the ship's safe.

Almost before we knew it, we were in Ireland saying our farewells to John, Mhairi and the rest of the family. On our last night there, Mhairi organized a huge farewell ceilidh. All of the relatives and neighbours were there, and the whisky and porter flowed pretty freely. The party and dancing lasted a large part of the night, and it was a very weary and quiet family that left the next morning for Dublin and the Liverpool ferry. Fortunately, the Irish Sea cooperated this time and we had smooth sailing all the way to Liverpool. We stayed in Liverpool overnight at the Adelphi Hotel, no less, thanks to Mhairi and John who had come with us, then the next day we walked the block to Lime Street Station where we caught the train to London and Bromley.

After staying with my parents for another week, we had a removal company load the belongings that we would not require on the voyage; it was being shipped on the same ship as us, but direct to Dan's company address, and likely would arrive sometime after we got to our destination. Accompanied by both our sets of parents, we took the boat train to Liverpool Riverside Station, where the Cunard liner Ascania awaited us, tied up at the Prince's Landing Stage. We arrived well before sailing time, but were allowed to board and find our cabin. Dan had arranged for a Second Class Cabin, which was a better than the usual immigrant cabins, so we had a little room. The ship was fairly old and due to be replaced, but it was comfortable. Once we had found our cabin and deposited our luggage, we and our parents went to the lounge where we could have tea or coffee and sandwiches. Since the ship was tied up, the bar was not open, so our farewell toasts were with tea and coffee.

Eventually, there was an announcement that all non-passengers must leave the ship, as we were about to sail, and the song 'Now Is the Hour' was played over the sound system. With tears in their eyes and in ours, Mhairi and Mum hugged the children, then us; then, holding the children, we walked our parents to the gangway. They stood in the crowd on the landing stage, looking up at us, and were waving madly as the lines holding us to the stage were loosened and cast off, and the tugs fore and aft started hooting and pulling the ship away from the landing stage. Then the tugs dropped those lines, they were winched in, and the engines of the ship started pushing us into the centre of the Mersey. We stayed on deck for a while, and about half an hour later I saw the Mersey Estuary go by in reverse as the ship passed out into the Irish Sea. Looking across to port, I could see the green dome of St Peter and St Pauls slowly receding behind us. I couldn't help but reflect on that grim day when we came from Dublin, finding the net stretched across the river and the convoy of damaged ships waiting for the tide to cross the Bar into relative safety. We slowed, then stopped, and the river pilot climbed down a rope ladder, dropping into the pilot boat, when the twin propellers started up again, driving the ship into a long turn to starboard, following the coastline while heading north to Greenock and on to Cobh in Ireland, where we would pick up more passengers before we began crossing the Atlantic to a new life in Canada.

To be continued.

(Authors note) While there is more of the Rogers story to relate, the author is taking a break as reality is catching up for a little while. There will be more about Norma, Jim and their children as they begin life in Canada, but this seems to be a natural place to take a rest while Norma enjoys the voyage, though I do have an idea about that.