Not All Luck is Bad Luck

Story Info
A man is faced with a difficult decision during his divorce.
2.6k words
4.46
133.8k
117
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
moreandmore
moreandmore
2,307 Followers

Just a little flash story for the Valentines 2020 event.

Some emailers have told me that I've recently written the worst story ever (Giving) and the best story ever (Bringing). Neither claim is true, but thanks for letting me know how loved and hated I've become. I'm returning to tropes and clichés for this one. Some have suggested that I need professional help. Thanks for your concern. Trust me, I'm getting some as I'm keeping so many -ists in business it makes my head spin. Oh yeah as far as heads spinning, I'm seeing an -ist about those absence seizures too. Nothing like losing a few minutes of recent memories every once in a while.

Please read my profile for my stance on comments. Feel free to email suggestions or to start a conversation. Private messages work too.

Gary Grainger; Rod Stewart: "I could never win. Never found a compromise. Collected lovers like butterflies. Illusions of that grand first prize are slowly wearin' thin."

+ + + +

Dumb. Slow. Stupid. The list goes on and on. I guess when you believe in something, you ignore the little things. Amy and I had been married for damn near ten years when I found her with suitcases waiting by the front door.

'Honey, we need to talk.'

No, she didn't say that, but you get the picture. She was two sheets to the breeze with that third one half drained in her favorite wine glass.

"Going somewhere?"

"Yes. I'm leaving you. That envelope over there contains the Petition for Divorce. I don't love you anymore so there's no reason for us to continue this charade."

"Trading up?"

"Does it matter?"

Told me all I needed to know. Little miss churchgoer was a slut. I did a one eighty and fed myself at Dennys. Her car and suitcases were gone when I got back. It was my turn to tip a few. One would be too many and ten wouldn't be enough. My body ached ears to toes when I awoke in my living room recliner. That thing isn't meant to be slept in.

I've always been shy. As such I seem to end up one step ahead or behind. It was Amy who pursued me. We were both twenty two when we got married. Things went great for the first eight years. Over the last two, things became strained. I was never going to turn into that man that she now wanted. Leaving really didn't surprise me, once I connected the dots. That doesn't mean that my heart hasn't been ripped from my chest. It has. But, life goes on. If she doesn't want me, then I'll move on. It will take a while but I'll bounce back and be a stronger man for it.

The easiest way to avoid gossip at work was to skip all of the spouses welcome events. I turned down invitations for some couples get-togethers that Amy and I used to attend.

My attorney was a no-nonsense grandmother type. She was mostly barking orders for the things I needed to do and not do. At this point, I liked it that way. The last thing I wanted was to dwell on the bitch. Just get me the hell out of this relationship.

When Amy showed up to a court ordered counseling session, on the arm of some slicked back hair dude, my hatred for her multiplied. Nobody wants to be cast aside. What a waste of time and money these shrink sessions are.

My attorney tells me that once the counseling sessions are over, it will still be six weeks or so before the final decree comes down. I'm keeping busy doing the things around the house that Amy never would agree to. I had to cede some liquid assets to retain the house, but I'd put too much into making it the home that I wanted, to let it go.

The women in my life amounted to my grandmotherly attorney. I avoided contact with the opposite sex, when and if at all possible.

+ + + +

I don't normally play the lottery, but the woman behind the counter was too damn cute to just walk away from. After paying for my coffee and donut, I got back in line. She's a looker and a flirt, and is well aware of both. When I reached the front of the line, she greeted me again.

"Couldn't get enough of me?"

"Can anybody?"

"Not yet. What can I do to you this time?"

"Ten dollar quick pick for the MegaBucks lottery."

"Remember me when you win."

"Hell, I'll remember you even if I lose."

"Awww, aren't you a sweet talker."

Did I mention how cute and flirty she is. Bristol was the name on her tag. Wonder what her story is?

Work wasn't work. I really enjoy my job. My lunchtime is spent watching the children play at the elementary school across the street from the company parking lot. Such joy. Such energy. I've been watching them long enough to remember some of them. There's a pixie of a girl who can run faster than anyone, boy or girl. There's a pudgy young boy who just sits alone in the swing, the whole time. I wonder if his parents are the root of that problem. There's three girls who go off to the far corner. My favorite is the boy that does cartwheels until the bell rings.

I was watching the news after the football game on Sunday.

'We know that the winning ticket was sold at the Kum-And-Go in Thornton, but that winner has yet to come forward.'

That's the place I bought my ticket! I hope that little cutie sold it because I'm pretty sure they get a bonus. Did I toss my ticket away with the empty coffee cup? Shit, I don't remember. I'll dig through the trash in my truck in the morning.

It was actually Thursday morning before I remembered the lottery ticket. Thankfully, or unfortunately, I hadn't pitched it. Where do you go to find the winning numbers? There was a phone number and a website printed on the ticket. I called and jotted down last Saturday's winning numbers. After hanging up, I compared them to my ticket, then called the number back again. Sure as hell, I wrote them down right, and I'm the lone winner!

My head wasn't screwed on straight that day. If not for a little luck, I would have injured myself and a coworker.

'Take that bitch!' rolled around in my head. She can have her trade-up. I'm a big time winner.

Just to be safe, I contacted my divorce attorney and set up a meeting. Another couple hundred bucks down the drain. This time not.

"Sorry Derek. You're not divorced yet. Amy gets half."

"But she already filed for divorce. I bought it after she had me served. It was my money that I bought it with!"

"Tough shit. Until the court grants the divorce, she's entitled to half of it."

No fucking way am I going to share it with her.

"What if I gave it to my parents?"

"If she learns that you bought the ticket, anything other than an arm's length transaction gives her the right to go after you for half of it."

"What's an arm's length transaction?"

"Someone other than a relative or business associate, with no claw back claim."

"What's a claw back claim?"

"They have to give you something in return, after the fact."

"So the only way she doesn't get half of it is if I give it to a stranger or don't cash it at all?"

"Pretty much. Go home, think about it. Congratulations Derek."

"Yeah, thanks."

Well shit on me. How much do I hate her? Enough to screw myself out of big bucks?

I 'hid' the winning ticket in my freezer, under last summer's trout. Twas another night of drinking. When dawn's early light roused me from my drunken slumber, I called in sick. I have so many sick days coming that they were more shocked that I would finally use one.

When I reached the front of the line, with my coffee and donut, Bristol didn't recognize me.

"Bristol, would you have five minutes to meet with me after you get off of work today?"

After ten seconds of evil eyeing me "Sure. I get off at two. I'll meet you by my beat up Toyota over there."

"Great. Keep the change."

"What's your name?"

"Derek."

I parked by the Toyota at one forty five. Am I sure this is what I want to do? I guess I was in never never land when there was a few taps on my window. I levered my window lower.

"Your car or mine?" Bristol quipped.

Chuckling "Mine's warmer."

Bristol slid in the passenger seat.

"I bet you sold that lottery winner?"

"Don't know. Nobody has come forward yet."

"I know you sold that lottery winner."

"Oh really, and how would you know that?"

"Because I bought it, and I don't want it" as I handed Bristol an envelope with the winner.

"Yeah right" as she examined the ticket.

"Did you say your name was Derek? This looks real?"

"It is. If I cash it, my soon to be ex gets half. I hate her so much, that I'd rather go without than line her coffers. It's yours, free and clear."

I knew Bristol was excited, because there wasn't a cold breeze in my car and her nipples couldn't have been harder.

"What's the catch?"

"Don't shortchange me when I buy coffee and a donut."

With a concerned look on her face "Have I ever?"

"No, but a rich girl like you might change. And please never tell anyone who gave you the ticket. My life is shitty enough without people second guessing me."

Bristol yanked my head into her bosom and squeezed the life out of me. Her eyes were dimmed with tears when she let me come up for air.

"Thank you Derek."

"You're welcome Bristol. Spend it wisely."

Bristol kissed me as passionately as any woman ever had. I hope I did the right thing.

The news that night had this amazing story of how a clerk at the Kum-And-Go was the state's newest multi-millionaire. I'll probably never see Bristol again as the story said she quit her job after validating the ticket.

+ + + +

It was fun to watch the news stories as they chronicled how Bristol was changing her life. She was divorced, with a two and four year old. She lived with her parents who watched the kids until her shift was over at two. Now, she was a full time mom, driving a new SUV. They said she took the non-annuitized payment which was slightly less than two million after taxes. I hope she doesn't blow it or fall for some slick talking scammer.

After a week of coverage, Bristol's story disappeared from the spotlight.

Once the divorce was granted, I tried dating again. The first few ended with the old 'I really like you Derek. I hope we can be friends.'

That was too depressing, so I immersed myself in being a permanent bachelor. Fifteen months after giving up my ticket, I was in line to pay for my coffee and donut. The sweet smell of perfume was behind me. A lady whispered 'Wait for me in your car.'

I'd like to tell you that I recognized the voice, but I didn't. The lady was wearing a hat and sunglasses, even though the morning sun was just now creeping up in the eastern sky. She was dressed smartly.

There wasn't anyone waiting by my car, but I didn't pull away as my engine idled. That sweet smelling lady slid into the passenger seat. She handed me an envelope.

"What's this?"

When the lady pulled her hat and glasses off, I recognized Bristol. "It's a pre-nuptial agreement."

"Okay. Why do I need a pre-nuptial agreement?"

"Because if you're going to marry a rich girl, she's going to want some protection."

There was a sparkle in her eyes. "My bad, I totally spaced out asking you to marry me."

"I forgive you. Something minor like that can slip your mind. Didn't you say you wanted a quickie marriage?"

"Well kind of. I said I was saving myself for marriage, and as good as you look, I needed to hurry up that process."

"So sign the damn pre-nuptial and let's go get a marriage license. I want to get married on Valentine's Day."

"And what makes you think I'm not some sadist who will torture you?"

"Because I spent quite a bit having you investigated. I know more about you than your mother does. I know all about Amy and her affair prior to filing for divorce. I can relate to the pain you went through, because I went through something similar. I know you're a much stronger person than I'll ever be, as what you did with that lottery ticket says volumes about your character. What I found was a man who loves what he does for a living, and who has given up on women. I have no competition, which is sad, as you have a lot of love to give. The only thing I'm not sure of, is whether you're ready to be a father to my little girls. The way you admire the children at the elementary school, I think you'll do fine. I'm willing to risk that you are, given enough loving. So, are you ready to make an honest woman out of me?"

"Well, this is the best offer I've received today" brought a chuckle.

"What's it going to be Derek?"

"Oh what the hell. Let's get married."

I called in sick, let my attorney read the pre-nuptial agreement, and we then we went to the courthouse to get a marriage license. We were married a few days later on Valentine's Day.

Of course, since it was Valentine's Day, Bristol wore a skimpy red lacey thing when she lured me into the bedroom. She knew I wouldn't last long the first time, so she started by licking and sucking my cock to a very pleasurable climax.

I returned the favor, licking and sucking on Bristol's clit until she bucked her hips up and down a few times. My distant neighbors may have heard her. It didn't take too long for me to get ready for round two.

Whereas my instinct was to finish fast, Bristol slowed me down. She seemed to be able to sense when I was getting close. When that happened, she halted my thrusting, making me want her more and more. That second climax was something special. Although I never was able to get Bristol to vaginally climax that first night, with a few days of coaching, I succeeded. The male ego is something. I was really proud of myself being able to do that for Bristol.

+ + + +

Epilogue:

Although Bristol could have bought a nice house, she had chosen to update her parent's home for them. They thought I was some kind of con-man and tried desperately to talk Bristol out of moving in with me. It was Christmas before she revealed that we were in fact married.

Bristol says she has never told a soul how she ended up with the lottery ticket. At the time we married, she still had about ninety percent of what she'd received. We talk at length about investments, and she now has more than the original payout. I still pick up a coffee and donut on the way to my job. I don't flirt with any of the clerks.

I've never crossed paths with Amy, nor do I have any desire to. I would have never hit the lottery if she hadn't left, and I'm not talking about MegaBucks.

As far as being a parent, I love it. Bristol's ex is an idiot to have left such a loving woman and those two wonderful girls.

moreandmore
moreandmore
2,307 Followers