O Pale Moon

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We have been aware of your nightly visits to the forest and have been watching out for you. Tonight we saw that Ciar followed you," explained Darragh, We feared he intended evil so we armed ourselves and followed on." He turned to Maeve. "So you are my daughter's lover."

Maeve said nothing, just dipped her head slightly.

"Not quite the handsome young fellow I envisaged. Nevertheless, what the gods have decreed, so be it. And you would have died for her?"

"Gladly," said Maeve.

Tears in her eyes, Keri moved to embrace Maeve. Turning to Darragh she said: "She would have died for our daughter. We cannot possibly object now to the love they have for each other."

Anxious now for her parents, Shona asked: "How will you explain what has happened here?"

"We saw Ciar attack a human," Darragh said, "Under The Pact we had an obligation to kill him."

Shona looked from one to the other. "But I'm not human, I'm ciaróea."

"You were in human form when Ciar sprang at you. I believe the gods will see the justice in that---I think most folk would accept that as reasonable if it came to explanations." Darragh chuckled and stirred Ciar's lifeless body with a toe of his boot. "I doubt that the question will arise. Few, if any, are likely to mourn Ciar. However, I think it would be better if you both went away from this place and your respective packs. There are still those who might disapprove of your love and try to shatter it." He pointed to the track leading out of the clearing's far side. "Few are aware of this," he continued, "but some six leagues to the north there lies a community of ciaróea comprised entirely of women like yourselves. Many of them are doughty fighters and males, were-beast and human alike, are not made welcome. I recommend that you seek refuge there---I am sure that you will be accepted among them. If asked, we will tell other pack members that you were sent to a safe haven to escape the attentions of Ciar."

Shona turned to her lover. "Are you willing to do this?"

Maeve took Shona's hands in hers and kissed the back of each. "I would travel to the earth's end and beyond as long as you were with me."

"Good," said Darragh, "I suggest that you go in wolf form---you will make greater speed that way."

"But father, I cannot yet change at will as Maeve can."

Keri laughed and took Shona's face between her hands. "Sweet child, have you forgotten what day it is?"

"It is now past midnight," added Darragh, "We have entered the first day of November. You are one-and-twenty. And look!" He pointed to the treetops where the rising moon was becoming visible. "You are one-and-twenty and this is the first of the full moon's three days. You need but bathe yourself in the moon's light and pray to the gods as taught when you were young. They will grant you full ciaróea powers. Accept that gift now."

As the full moon cleared the treetops, Shona discarded her cloak and other clothing, moved to the centre of the clearing and stood naked in its silver beams. Raising her arms in supplication, she began the prayer taught her since childhood. "O pale moon, if it be the will of the gods, bestow the full powers of the ciaróea on your daughter..."

* * * * *

...two she-wolves, one white, the other coppery red, ran side-by-side and noiselessly through the forest to seek their new home. Now and again they paused briefly to nuzzle each other in declaration of bond-strengthening love, then carried ever onwards...

The End