Obsession

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We quickly fell into a steady routine. It helped that we'd lived together before. It was made easier by the fact that it was just the two of us. For the first time in what felt like forever, I was happy, truly happy, and as each day went by and my belly grew and our daughter came closer to entering the world, I was happier.

Two weeks after he moved in, he came home late one night, and the one after that, too. I ignored it, despite the gnawing suspicion deep in my stomach. That weekend, he kissed me in the morning and said he had to work, then left the apartment before I could even question why he had to work on a Saturday.

When he came home around dinnertime, I asked. He must have seen the fear in my eyes because he pulled me in close, kissed my forehead, and promised it wasn't what I thought it was.

"You say that but..."

"You'll see," he murmured. "You'll see soon. I promise."

I thought maybe he was going to propose, which made me even more suspicious and concerned. I mean, sure, I'd gotten pregnant without telling him and now he was living with me after we hadn't seen each other for months and that all happened after an insane, toxic, crazy woman had almost destroyed both of us... but it felt a bit early for marriage.

He wasn't lying, though. I didn't have to wait long to find out. We were sitting at the table that night, tension still stretched between us as we quietly ate dinner, when his phone rang.

He wiped his mouth on a napkin and answered, his tone calm and stoic.

"What?... Fine, hello to you, too. What do you want?"

There was a long, tense pause as he listened.

"Wow. I'm sorry to hear that."

Another long pause.

"Did they say what caused it?... Mm. And you think... Are you serious? You're crazy... You're the one calling me up to throw baseless accusations around. Besides, what would I get out of it? I'm not on the insurance anymore, not after you bought me out."

He met my eyes.

"No, I cancelled it. It's in the contract, remember?... What do you mean, you didn't get new insurance?... Well, I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck, Minah."

He hung up, put the phone down, and ate another bite. I stared at him, astounded, confused, and just the slightest bit concerned.

"Boy, it's a good thing I was with you all day today, right?" he asked casually.

I raised an eyebrow. "Of course. We went to Buy Buy Baby to pick up the car seat and when we came home you worked on the nursery."

"Yep, that's what I remember, too." He ate another bite of chicken. "Poor Minah. It sounds like her house burnt down."

I dropped my fork and stared at him, mouth agape.

"They said it looks like she left her hair straightener plugged in before going to work."

"She must have done that a thousand times when we lived together," I said, picking my fork back up. "I always unplugged it for her. I might even have some old emails I sent her telling her to be more careful next time."

When his eyes met mine again and I saw those glinting blue flames behind them, I couldn't stop the slow smile that crossed my face.

Of course we were perfect together. He was just as fucking crazy as I was.

**

The stars go waltzing out in blue and red,
And arbitrary blackness gallops in:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.

I dreamed that you bewitched me into bed
And sung me moon-struck, kissed me quite insane.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)
—Mad Girl's Love Song, Sylvia Plath

**

Author's Note:

Domestic abuse occurs in many different ways. It can happen to men or women and can be physical or emotional. The one thing in common is that it's never okay. If you or someone you know needs help, reach out to your local domestic violence hotline for resources and support.

Special thanks to Bebop3, norafares, OneAuthor, and SleeperyJim for providing feedback and editing. Your help is, as always, invaluable.

1...456789