Ogres and Ogresses Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"She can if it's out here," Henna said comfortingly.

She reopened the flask and handed it to the little girl.

"Do you know what kind of flowers are around you?"

Nima nodded. "Sunflowers!"

"And in this is water," Henna said handing it to her. "It's for Zyra."

She gave the girl a charming smile. "You know the Berryflower right?"

"Yes."

"What happens when you put Berryflower in water?"

"It tastes like berries," Nima answered.

Henna made her voice take on a wondrous tone that would entice the girl.

"So what would happen...if you put sunflowers in water?"

Nima sat there thinking for a moment before her eyes went wide.

"It would taste like the sun!"

"Yes!" Henna agreed. "Zyra has never tasted the sun. She told me so. Wouldn't it be a nice surprise if you made her some sun tasting water while I go get her? That way there's no way she'd be angry."

"Can I have some?"

"No!" Henna snapped.

The girl looked alarmed as Henna slipped back into her smile.

"No. I'm sorry, but only adults can taste the sun. If little girls taste it...they'll never grow."

Henna gasped. "I want to grow!"

"Then don't drink that water," Henna cooed. "But Nima, you have to do me a favor if you want me to let you give Zyra this water."

"What favor?"

"You can't tell her I told you about the recipe. If she knows it's from me, she won't like it as much as if it's from you. Do you know why?"

Nima wrinkled her nose. "Cause I'm her niece and she loves me most?"

"Exactly," Henna said, happy the kid had filled in the blanks. "Shall I bring Zyra now?"

Nima nodded. "Ok."

Standing up she began stripping the flowers of petals and dropping it into the water.

"Perfect," Henna mumbled insidiously. Then she went off to find Zyra. Most likely, she'd be at her tent.
_________________________________________________
Rell stomped around the camp sighing as his aching muscles protested with each step.

Zyra had told him to practice a bit on his own. To be honest he thought about using the time to sleep, but considering he would only have her instruction for a few more days, he decided to obey.

Walking down by the stream where they often frequented, he took his stance. Looking into the water's reflection as Zyra had suggested, he adjusted his stance and then faced forward. The wind carried the faint scent of flowers and moisture, indicating that it might at any time rain. The blue expansive sky was tufted with white clouds as fluffy as sea foam.

The sea, he wondered if Zyra had ever seen it. Back in their village the Ursies could hike half a day and spend the rest of it by the sea.

They knew how to swim, could fish, didn't hunt in forests like the Ursies. If you could hunt in their sparse forests, you called yourself a hunter. When Rell really thought about what being a hunter meant to the Rovian's, their secret language and their code of morals and ethics, the Ursie hunter was a child's game. Part of him was filled with excitement as he ran through the exercises Zyra had taught him. It was like he had been initiated into a special world where no one but himself had previously gone. If he could hone this knowledge, if he could be half as good as any huntress, he would be doing his tribe a great service. If he was Chief he could combine some of the Ursie ways with the Rovian types.

Ursies farmed, so there was no shortage of food, but knowing how to hunt could be to their advantage. The tribes often stayed to themselves, but maybe if their food had surplus they could trade for the items they needed. Fish for clothing, fat fat bird for knives.

"Who taught you?"

He jumped, startled by the voice. Turning to his left he saw Rair. She was standing by a tree, her dark eyes emotionless, her arms crossed.

He fought the lump in his throat as he saw her for the first time in what felt like years.

"Rair. I-I didn't see you there."

She didn't respond, waiting patiently for him to answer her previous question.

"Right," he declared, as though her dismay had been audible. "Zyra. Zyra's been teaching me."

"You had her stance."

She was referring to him and Hanto's duel.

"Yes," he agreed. "But she hadn't been teaching me then."

She walked forward, and then strode in a lazy circle around him, scrutinizing his posture. After a minute or so she stopped to face him.

"I am not sure how I feel about this," she said evenly.

His heart sank at her words. So she still viewed him as an outsider.

"I'm sorry," he said, crestfallen. "I wanted to learn how to fight—"

"I'm not talking about that."

Rell frowned, trying to understand what was going on behind her shielded expression.

"Then...what are you talking about?"

Rair's eyes flickered to the side of him, and then casually made their way back.

"I am not sure how I feel about you leaving us. I will miss you."

Rell's jaw dropped open as he watched her nod to him and begin to walk away. His muscles were confused as his brain shouted, "Go after her!" insistently. When he was able to move he dashed behind her.

"Wait!" he called.

Rair looked back at the oddly handsome man curiously. She had said her piece, what more did he want?

"What do you mean?" he asked breathlessly. His cerulean eyes filled with expressive emotion. His look took her aback. She said nothing, waiting for him to elaborate.

"Well?" he asked again.

"I do not understand," Rair uttered plainly.

"What do you feel?" Rell begged desperately. "Why do you feel unsure?"

Rair honestly wanted to know why he cared, but another question would require more words. Instead she chose to answer him.

"You have eaten with us and slept with us," she began.

A violent shiver ran down Rell's back. She did just mean sleep right?

"You have provided for the village, shown loyalty to us, you have been protected by us and in turn have been a protector."

Rair looked over him with a twinge of admiration. The first time she had seen him, almost a year ago he had been frail. Being with them had surprisingly made him into a man. Yet, he was still himself. Rell was gentle to a fault, giving, and prone to relationships where he was being taken advantaged of. He knew these facts and yet changed very little; he was okay with receiving nothing in return.

To be frank he was a fool.

Still, Rair knew he was a good fool, and the huntress in her wanted to protect him.

"You are more Rovian now than you have ever been Ursie," Rair stated, lifting her gaze back to his face.

He had seen her appraisal of him, and to her amusement a light pink blush dusted his cheeks.

"How would you know that?" Rell mumbled, scratching his head.

He had never thought he would hear such high praise from the huntresses, let alone Rair.

"I watch," she answered. "I have never seen you once hang among your kindred. You flock to those who have been in the valley, and you used to flock with your brother. Now you have only us."

Rell's blush faded as he realized the truth of her words. She was right. When they were gone, he would ultimately be alone. He was not as popular among his tribemen because Hanto was the more masculine figure. He had been coddled by his father and when they separated, he stayed behind his brother or by himself. How could he have lived so many years among them and not realized he had not one ally?

"You worry now," Rair more or less stated. "I have thought of what you are thinking, and I do not want you to go. It is not safe."

Rell heard that she did not want him to go, and nothing else. "You want me to stay?"

"You cannot stay. You are a man."

"But if I could?" Rell insisted.

To his shock Rair graced him with a small smile.

"I would welcome you as my brother."

Rell dropped his spear and walked up to her. Quietly he took her hand and held it between his own. Looking neither for nor against his actions, Rair watched as him curiously.

"I have the uttermost respect for you huntress Rair," Rell exclaimed, his palms threatening to shiver. "I have always admired you, and I wish to bestow upon you an honor an Ursie male may only give to a woman, The Trading of Items."

He had traded items before, giving Zyra his necklace. The Trading of Items was a promise that the two parties would meet again. Generally it was meant to be romantic, but his time with the huntresses had taught him that there were different types of love. He loved them all, each in a different way, and he wanted Rair to know that she was no exception.

Taking his circulet he bent and pulled off one the golden circles. He looked to her hand again. The perfect size; smiling, he slipped it upon her finger.

"With this, I make you my sister. It is a promise we will meet again. I your brother will be under your protection no matter our distances, and you shall be under mine."

Rair let out a snort.

Under his protection, right.

Rell ignored her, a smirk tugging at his lips.

"If you give me something of yours, the Trading will be sealed."

"Zyra has such an item around her neck," Rair stated looking at the golden ring on her finger.

"And you have a key."

"She does," Rell quipped, happy that she understood. "She was my first."

Rair raised an eyebrow and observed Rell as he began to sputter.

"No! N-not my first...M-my first sister! Just sister!" he shouted.

Rair said nothing, looking back to her hand. Then slowly she reached behind her ear into her short cropped hair.

Rell looked longingly at the smooth curve of her neck until she produced a beaded feather. Silently she tied it into his hair. His breath caught as her fingers twisted and turned against him. His crush on her burned anew with a stronger flame. He had underestimated her, she could have feelings for him if he was brave enough to nurture them.

"I know Rell," she whispered quietly into his ear.

He shuddered, swallowing the warm saliva gathering in his mouth.

"You do?"

His voice had gone raspy, and Rair inwardly started when she saw the desire pooled into his eyes. As the string tightened she took a step back.

Rell touched the string that was hidden behind his ear in his hair, but his eyes did not leave her. Whether Zyra's courage had rubbed off on him, or he was getting his own, Rell decided to act. Cautiously, he took a step forward.

That step was all it took to set Rair back in stone. Detaching, she gave him a stiff nod.

"Farewell," she said walking away. "I do not know if I will see you off because of the formalities you owe Zyra."

"Wai—" He stuck out an arm, but she was already into a light run and before he knew it, she was gone.

"So, this was goodbye," Rell spoke out loud.

She had come to bid him goodbye. Sighing he picked up his spear. He didn't feel like training anymore. Instead he stripped down to nothing and went for a cold swim. Not knowing that a pair of eyes had watched.
_________________________________________________

Zyra followed Henna until they were on the outskirts of where the children should have been.

"She's over there," Henna said drily. The unamused girl glanced back at her. "I tried to make her go back but she said she wouldn't unless you carried her."

"Really?" Zyra was shocked.

Nima was many things, but fussy was not one of them.

"Do you want me to just take her back anyway?" Henna asked as they reached the clearing.

Zyra's heart melted when she saw Nima. She had adorned herself in a halo of yellow sunflowers and sat picking the petals off of another. She looked so beautiful and lovely Zyra's heart ached with pride.

"No, it's fine," Zyra said smiling. "Thank you."

Henna nodded and walked off.

When Zyra entered the clearing, Nima's head swirled into her direction. Her face burst into a bright smile and she stood up, her white dress stained with dirty hand prints.

"Auntie!"

Running towards her, Zyra couldn't help but run too and she scooped her messy little girl into her arms.

Nima clung to her neck so tight she threatened to suffocate her, but Zyra simply held her, rocking her in arms.

"I missed you," Nima spoke against her shoulder.

"I missed you too," Zyra choked, surprised at the tears that threatened to fall.

She had been so good at blocking out emotions she had not realized how much she had missed her niece. Walking over to a log, Zyra placed her down beside her.

Cute as she was Nima shouldn't be too spoiled. She needed to be reprimanded. The forest was no place for a young girl, let alone one as unprepared as Nima.

"Now Nima, what have you been doing in the forest?"

Nima's look of jubilation tempered a bit as mischief and guilt warred in her face.

"Promise not to be mad?"

"I promise."

"Well..."

Nima began a long tirade about a boy who had been picking on her friend Canai who everyone called Carrot. Carrot had untamed curly red hair, and this boy seemed to go out of his way to pull it. Every time he did, Nima defended Carrot to the best of her ability. As Zyra listened she tried to keep herself from bursting out into laughter.

Poor Nima did not realize that the boy was only picking on Carrot to get her attention. Granted she wanted to put him over her knee and spank him, but as Nima told her the abuses she had done to dissuade him, she felt he had been tortured enough. She had pushed him, pinched him, slapped him, and finally after he was foolish enough to lift up her dress, she had pressed his head into the ground. That was when Henna found her.

"Are you mad?" Nima asked, her big brown eyes worried.

"Not at all," Zyra said, giving her a hug. "I'm very proud of you. You did as you were told."

"Oh! Go—"

"But..." Nima shut her mouth as Zyra continued.

"You need to also learn how to resolve your problems without violence. The next time this boy tries to pick on you or Carrot, you tell him you don't like it when he's mean and if he doesn't stop, you won't play with him."

Nima's mouth pursed and wiggled as though she was chewing up Zyra's words.

"And if he lifts my dress again?"

"The other rule still stands."

"Okay."

"And Nima, no matter who you're chasing, you must not go into the woods without an adult. Do you understand me?"

Nima nodded. "Yes auntie."

"Good."

Nima stood up with a grin and ran to the center of the field. To Zyra's amusement she came back with a flask of water.

"Here!" Nima said brightly. "This is for you."

"Where'd you get that from?" Zyra asked curiously.

"Henna gave me water."

"Did she now?"

Suspiciously, Zyra opened it and looked down inside the flask. To her surprise she found a large quantity of sunflower petals.

"Henna put flowers in it?" Zyra asked incredulously.

"Nuh uh. I did!"

Zyra's brow furrowed her mouth gaped. "...why?"

Nima smiled with her adorable trademark grin. "To make it taste like the sun."

When Zyra didn't respond Nima took it upon herself to elaborate.

"Berryflowers make the water taste like berries right? Sunflowers should make the water taste like the sun. Have you tasted the sun before Zyra?"

Her eyes sucked Zyra in until she was trapped by her.
Say yes, say you have.

"Uh..."

Lie! Lie to her!

"No," Zyra said dejectedly. She couldn't lie to that face.

As though proving her point, Nima's face brightened. "Then here! Taste some!"

"I'd love to," Zyra said half-heartedly, "But we don't know where Henna got the water from, it could be bad. Let's just pour this out and-"

"No!"

Zyra huffed. "Well why don't you taste some, and tell me how it tastes?" Zyra suggested.

"I can have some?" Nima gasped.

"Of course."

"Yay!" Nima shouted. "I'll try it after you!"

Fuckta.

"Nima..."

"It's a present," Nima cooed, mixing the petals with her finger. "I want to give you nice things too. You always give me nice things."

Well what was she supposed to say to that?

Sighing heavily Zyra took the flask and sniffed it. Well it didn't smell strange, at least from what she could tell. The pungent sting of sunflower pollen clung to it.

Groaning Zyra replaced the top and squeezing her eyes she took a swing. The minute she swallowed it she felt like hurling. What an awful creation.

"How does it taste?" Nima asked excitedly.

Feeling evil she gave the bottle to Nima. "Here. You have a swig."

Nima grabbed the bottle excitedly.

"Yay! Thank you auntie!"

As the nausea hit her she snatched the bottle away.

"Nevermind I change my mind," Zyra snapped.

"Hey! That's not fair!" Nima protested, reaching for the bottle that was at arm's length.

"I want it all for myself," Zyra said smiling at her.

Nima frowned then smiled again. "Okay. So you'll drink some more?"

"Maybe later."

Maybe never.

"Alright love," Zyra said picking her up and swinging her behind her. "Let's take you back."

On the way to the camp Zyra had 'accidentally' spilled the sunflower water. Consoling Nima that she "didn't really like the taste of the sun anyway," she left the girl to the care of the elders with strict instructions to be more vigilant about the children's whereabouts. Losing the future chieftess of a tribe would not be taken well.

On the way back Zyra noted that she felt funny. It was a subtle wooziness that she didn't like.

She tried a few times to heave up the quick sip, but she could not bring her body to do so. Sighing she decided it would pass.

When she went to her tent she found Ginger inside, going through her things.

"Dare I ask?" Zyra grumbled.

"You never told me you had anything lovely!"

Ginger turned to her with a look of jealous disdain.

"Why do I sew you new things when you have this lovely thing you've never worn? Here I came to see if I could scrounge you up an outfit for the feast and I find this!"

"Calm yourself," Zyra grumbled, lying to her furs. "Kyzu just gave it to me."

Ginger went back to a normal temperament almost immediately. "Oh. Well why didn't you say so?"

"I just did."

"She must have crushed a lot of berries for this. Or had the village girls crush a lot of berries. Hey are you listening?"

Zyra looked up at her in annoyance.

"Yes. She probably did. Ginger, I need to rest."

"Feeling ill?"

"Sort of."

"Sort of?" Ginger knelt to her and felt her head.

"You feel fine. Is it your stomach?"

"I just drank sunflowers in water."

"What for?"

"Nima—"

"Say no more."

Ginger went into her tent and came back to Zyra with mint leaves for her to chew on. After chewing them, Zyra felt much better. In return she braided her friend's hair and let her yammer on about her outfit until she chose one she liked.

When night fell they could smell the special meats being cooked over the fire. Zyra's mouth watered as she took in the savory spices and succulent smoke.

"Lift your arm up and stop dreaming about meat," Ginger snapped.

Zyra obeyed as Ginger helped her into the dress.

"It smells like heaven,"Zyra mumbled. "And I won't be able to eat a bite with this...this restraint around my body."

"Relax," Ginger tutted as she pulled the strings tight.

They were laced up on each side and stopped at the slit. As a result, the ties had to be tight, or more skin than what she intended would show.

"How can I relax?"

"I mean your shoulders," Ginger huffed. "This dress needs to be tighter."

"Oh no."

"Oh yes."

Zyra felt a thick limb in her side and grunted.

"Is that your foot?"

Ginger responded by pressing her foot against her and heaving the strings in line.

Zyra gasped as the dress was tied into place by Ginger's nimble fingers.

"Well you look stunning," Ginger said factually. "Now you help me into my dress."

Zyra glared at her with a touch of insanity and reached for her knife.

"Don't you dare!" Ginger shouted, diving for it.