All Comments on 'Og's Blog Pt. 09'

by oggbashan

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Incorrect Information

You have written ten shilling note.

It was not referred to as a ten shilling note, even though that was its value.

It was always referred to as a ten bob note.

A shilling was also known as a bob, when used,

on its own. It was called a shilling when it was included

in other money, like three shilling and sixpence, or three and six.

oggbashanoggbashanalmost 4 years agoAuthor

Anon: You are as wrong as a nine-bob note. Yes, some people called it a ten bob note, but many others called it ten shillings.

oggbashanoggbashanalmost 4 years agoAuthor

Aside on British coins and notes:

Before the change to decimal currency on 14 February 1971 there were a massive number of slang terms for money. A sixpence was a tanner or a zack; The three pence piece was a joey.

My three card brag card school had a maximum bet limit of 'a third' = one third of a guinea - seven shillings. But my Blog is about the UK civil service. All the clerical staff of that time had to have passed O level English, and their superiors normally had English quaiifications at a higher level. When at work, they would be more precise in their speech than the average person in the street. The other issue is that Literotica has an international audience. Although I write in British English, using slang terms unnecessaril;y could cause confusion with the readers so I would use a more precise term like ten shilling note instead of ten bob. 'Ten shilling note' was a perfectly normal usage at the time and in that situation.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
useroggbashan@oggbashan
Can I now change bio? oggbashan was diagnosed as terminally ill and expected to be dead by June 2018. As you can see. I am still here. . As long as I can I will continue writing and posting on Literotica but there will be an end - soon. I don't expect anyone to like ALL of my...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES