Old School Ch. 05: Danville

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That advice changed me fundamentally. Never again would I be a ward of my profession as I had become in the rigid, revenue-driven Big Law environment of Gladney & Watson. Since then, I have lived for the partnership of Kass and Les. It comes before my profession and everything else. She and our children are why I practice law, a means to an end, and if that ever becomes corrosive to my family, I'll mow lawns for a living.

We welcome the absence of interesting times, at least as far as our family is concerned. The sound of our children playing, arguing, asking questions; the feel of Kass and he clean scent of her auburn ringlets as she snuggles against me on our porch swing or presses into me as we sleep; the summer rain on the tin roof of our barn or logs crackling in our fireplace on an icy winter's night — that's all the excitement we need.

That's what I wanted. Family. Not just a place but a person to call home.

For me, that is Kass. She always will be. She was all along.

▲ ▲ ▲

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Kass, Les, Dano and all other characters and events depicted in this novel exist only in our imaginations. But hatred, violence, bullying and intimidation against LGBTQ people is real. Federal hate crime data shows that gays are by far the most targeted group in the United States: twice as much as Jews or Black people; four times more than Muslims; 14 times more than Latinos. Dano's experience is also straight out of the headlines, especially among younger gay Americans who feel they have no recourse short of ending their lives.

If you are a victim of such hate crimes or know of others who are, get help and fight back. Contact the Southern Poverty Law Center. Visit online at www.splcenter.org.

If you enjoyed this series, please be sure to rate it, mark it as a favorite, follow RoyceFHouton or leave your comments. (Anonymous comments have been disabled.)

© 2024 Royce F. Houton