Once Upon a Time in Emmitsburg

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Got word from Mrs. Wexler about her family. Mrs. Grummond was going well down the Alzheimer's trail, but I already knew that. The last time I was there she thought I was her deceased husband. She said she missed me. She cried.

Mrs. Wexler told me Darla was dating a boy named Marvin Schlotnik. She said he was a boy Amber knew. She said Darla was thinking about taking some time off and going to Israel. She told me Amber was doing well at Haverford, all A's. She said Amber went deep sea fishing down in the Bahamas with her boyfriend, she caught a marlin. She said Amber ditched the college professor; her current boyfriend worked for some big international corporation, and he was incredibly rich. I always knew Amber would land on her feet.

Mary was getting way too serious; she wanted to know why I was still working at a garage. She told me her parents wanted her to do something meaningful with her life. She said they thought she might want to think about becoming a nun. I told her what she really needed was to find some reliable guy, get married, settle down, and raise a family. She asked me if I knew any reliable guys. I told her not to bother with Mr. Havermore's son. She didn't say anything after that.

Time had certainly gone by. I couldn't believe it been so long since I got back from active duty. The winter had been a mess on the roads. If I wasn't out collecting some car, I was underneath one making repairs. It was hard and dirty work. In the winter the garage was frigid, but it was going to be worth it once Mr. Havermore got his ducks in line. When I became a partner, I decided I was going to make some changes.

It was cold and I was in the middle of a major brake repair job when Mr. Havermore came out. He said, "Tim, there's a woman here to see you. I told her you were busy, but she said it was important. Can you make it quick? We've got to get the car you're working on done."

I crawled out from under the Audi, wiped my hands on a cloth and answered, "Sure Mr. Havermore. Just be a minute."

I went inside to the office. It was Darla. She walked over with her right hand up. "Look," she said.

I looked at her right hand and there on her finger was one of the biggest diamonds I'd ever seen. I said, "Wow! I guess this means it's off for us."

She laughed, "We'll never be off Timmy. You know you'll always be my first love, but isn't it big?"

"My God," I replied, "How many carats?"

"Two," she said. "He's a lawyer who works at a firm in Hagerstown. Amber introduced me to him. He went to Yale. We haven't set the date yet, but when we do, I'll a want you to be there."

I thought, 'Amber again.' I laughed, "So you can gloat?"

She laughed too.

I said, "Sure, I wouldn't miss it for the world. You're my girl you know."

She laughed then too and said, "I'd kiss you, but you're so dirty."

I smiled, "That's OK. We've kissed before."

She smiled back, "We will again, soon." She stepped a few paces away, waved, turned around and dropped something on the floor. She took a couple more steps and said, "Eight O'clock." She strolled out of the office without looking back.

'So,' I thought, 'My girl. My one and only was getting married. I wondered how she was doing in school. Was she still a Political Science major? I just bet her father was pleased his daughter had settled on someone who had a real future. I found Mr. Havermore and asked him, "Have you gotten around to those partnership papers yet sir?"

He grunted, "I'll get to em. You get back to Mr. Augur's car."

I walked over to what Darla had dropped on the floor. It was a key card for the Best Western Plus out on Rte. 15. Had a room number too. Eight O'clock she said. I went back in the garage. There were other cars waiting on the lot. I couldn't just stand around.

I worked till just before 5:00, went in and saw Mr. Havermore, "Mr. Havermore, sir, I have to leave now. See you bright and early in the morning."

"What," he hollered! "We've still got Mr. Belknap's Trailblazer, and I want to get Mr. Grabowski's brakes done before we close."

"Sorry sir," I said, "It's important."

He muttered something, walked around his desk and slammed a cabinet closed, "And you want to be a partner..." He swept past me and into the garage.

I got out my keys, walked the distance to my old second-hand Cavalier, got in, and drove off. I was God damned if I was going to miss a chance to be with Darla! I'd been waiting for this for I couldn't begin to remember. I drove to my one-bedroom efficiency apartment, went in, stripped, and turned on the shower. I kept thinking, 'This might be my only chance to show Darla how important she's been to me.'

I got in the shower. It was scalding hot. I scrubbed and scrubbed. I had to get all, I mean all the grease and grunge off. If I could get her in the sack, I'd do everything I could to show her I was the one. I really was the one she needed. This might be it for me; my one and only chance to prove myself. I cleaned and scrubbed. I dried off. I shaved. I trimmed my mustache; I combed my hair.

I got dressed. I only had one pair of good slacks. I put on a white Tee shirt, my only pair of colored socks, and my good wing tips. I slipped into my only white shirt. Should I wear a tie? I had two, a blue one and a black one. I put on the blue, tied it in a Windsor knot. This was it. My big chance!

I went downstairs. No food. Too nervous. Checked my watch, the watch she'd given me. I think it was her. I got in my car, drove over to the Best Western Plus. Had to be good hotel. I went in. Took the elevator upstairs. Got to the door. Should I knock or just insert the key. I inserted the key. I went in.

She wasn't there.

There was a note fastened to the sofa. I opened it, "Sorry Tim. Changed my mind."

Fuck!

The next morning, I got to work. Mr. Havermore hardly spoke to me all day.

It was back to work. It was a long hot summer. I rarely got out, and when I did, I was usually too tired to do much. I had to put Darla out of my mind. Mary was patient. I really liked that kid. I saw Amber and Darla a few times over the summer, nothing meaningful. Darla never bothered to explain.

Then it came. I had a real teat a teat with Amber. I'd just gotten off from work. I had washed up and was preparing to pick up Mary so we could go to Denny's when Amber stopped me. "What do you think you're doing," she commanded.

I looked at her and my car, "I'm getting ready to go home, take a shower and take my girlfriend out. Why?"

"You're so smug," she said. "You have all the answers. What about Darla?"

I replied, "Darla's getting married. Beside she's in school. Goes to Bridgewater, majoring in Political Science."

"You're a real buffoon aren't you," snorted Amber. "You don't know what you've done."

"No, I don't," I said.

"For your information 'Mungo' Darla's broken off her engagement and dropped out of college."

Secretly I was glad, but I replied, "What have I got to do with that?"

"Look retard," she started, "It's because of you she left school and dumped probably her best chance at happiness."

I interrupted, "My fault? Help this retard out, will you?"

Amber bristled, "She told you that you weren't supposed to get serious about anyone else. She told you that you were her 'special person' the one she wanted to keep...as it were."

I muttered, "The perpetual back-up."

Amber, arms akimbo, nearly took my head off, "Isn't that all you're really good for? Look at yourself! A greasy bum! No decent girl would ever have anything to do with you. Darla thinks she loves you, but you're just not marriage material. She's rich you idiot. And you! You don't even have a life. She could keep you and still marry someone worthwhile."

I scratched my chin, "I better go see her." 'Hell,' I thought. 'Why am I going to see her? She stood me up! Didn't matter, she was always needy, the needy little girl. Damn it, she might really need me this time.'

Amber scowled, "Good idea."

I'd always known I was never good enough for either Wexler girl; Darla and Amber were headed for glory, while I was headed for where I was, the town grease monkey. But I never saw myself as some gigolo, some goof she could see and sleep with on the side, while she and some other man had a real family. Hell, I didn't even know whether she was any good in bed. Could she even boil an egg? I wasn't that great either. I'd met a girl from San Antonio when I was at Fort Sam. Her name was Trixie. We had our fun. Everybody down there was a cowboy, or thought they were. I'd ridden horses in Maryland, but it was a different deal. In Maryland is was black boots, red coats, and chasing little red animals; nothing I ever liked. Around San Antonio it was mustangs and bull riding; I didn't like that either. What a laugh; most of the bull riding was on machines in taverns.

I had my pride. I wanted a wife, a real wife, and kids of my own some day. I needed to see Darla, but first I decided I better have my date with Mary.

I got to Mary's a little after eight, went up and knocked on her parent's door. Mary stepped out, ready to go. Mary was a full-time student with numerous scholarships, but she still had to hold down something part-time so she worked at a place on Main Street where they sold different blends coffee and such.

She stepped out on her parent's front porch and said, "You said Denny's?"

I answered, "Is that all right?"

"Yes," she said, "there's someone who might be there I'd like you to meet."

I faked a laugh, "Not a bill collector I hope."

She laughed, "No."

I pushed it, "Not the IRS."

She grinned, "You're getting closer."

I said, "I better shut up then."

She laughed, "Good idea."

Mary had the kind of laugh that made other people want to laugh too. I wouldn't call her especially sexy, not like Darla or Amber, but she did have a way about her. She was what I'd call a warm genuine person. I could see her becoming a nun. I didn't think she should; it occurred to me I didn't know what she was majoring in. I thought maybe I should ask her some time.

We drove over to Denny's, got set up in a booth and ordered. I ordered a coffee, fried eggs, sausage, and two buttermilk pancakes. Mary ordered a soufflé. It was something she got all the time. While we waited a man walked in, saw Mary, waved, and came over to our booth.

Mary smiled at him and asked him to sit down. He sat down beside her. That miffed me just a little bit. They looked like a good couple.

Mary took his hand and smiled at me, "This is Waylon Macomber."

I had to say something snarky, "Like Francis Macomber?"

He smiled and replied, "Never heard that before. No, I'm a student at Loyola..."

Jesus, I thought, 'Loyola down in Baltimore. Does anybody go to state colleges around here?'

He continued, "I'm a graduate student, Speech and Language Pathology."

I didn't know what that was. He didn't have a wedding ring on, "Really," I said. Pointing to Mary I added, "how did you come to know her?"

"I'm Mary's friend."

I answered, "Really?"

He said, "Yes, Mary asked me to come see you."

My first thought was this guy is getting ready to tell me he and Mary had become an item. Jesus, I thought she was the one safe person I had in my life. Was I going to lose her? I said, "Yeah, what about?"

He started, "Mary said you're in the Army Reserves. You're in a medical unit."

I was caught off guard. I wondered where he was headed. He went on, "She says you also work at a garage."

I said, "Yes, I work over at Mr. Havermore's."

First he shrugged then he squared his shoulders, "Mary thinks you're wasting your time. Have you ever thought about pursuing something in medicine?"

I admitted it, I bristled, and I think they both saw it. I kept my cool; I needed to get out of this so I said, "I've thought about it, but I've never been that interested. Too much blood I guess." All of a sudden I was afraid. The real reason why I hadn't thought about anything in the medical field was because I knew I wouldn't be any good. Too much responsibility maybe. Maybe I was afraid I'd fail, or hurt someone, or people would discover what a fraud I really was.

I looked at Mary, "Is that why he's here? You want me to become a doctor or something."

Mary gave me one of those sincere looks she had a way of delivering at pivotal moments. This was seriously disturbing; whenever I got a look of sincerity from Darla or Amber I knew it to be the prelude to something misleading, but sincerity from Mary was real. My stomach started to churn.

Mary said, "There are a great many things you could do in medicine."

I wanted to get up and run away. I felt very nervous. I was in the eighth grade all over again. Someone was about to tell me what a dummy I was. Why was Mary doing this?

She must have noticed, but she said anyway, "You could become an X-Ray technician, or a Physical Therapist. Tim, with your army background there are a great many thing you could do that wouldn't require you to see or deal with blood."

If it were any other girl, I could've come up with a dozen different lies, but Mary was someone I couldn't lie to. I knew what it was, "Mary, this is because you don't like hanging around with a tire jack." I could see right away I'd hurt her. I didn't want to do that, but there it was, I'd done it.

Mary reached across the table and took my hand, "I care about you Tim."

She'd done it! She'd pulled out the "I care" card. If any other girl had done that I'd have had an answer, but I kind of knew Mary. She was up to something, and I knew I wasn't going to like it. I had to get away from there.

Our food came. Macomber looked at me, "Mr. McLeish, Mary has something she needs to tell you." He got up and left.

Mary and I started to eat, but I had to know, "OK, what gives?" Just then my cell phone bleeped.

Mary noticed and said, "That your other girlfriend?"

I was being stung by a swarm of wasps. I hung it up. What was happening to me? I said, "I don't have any other girlfriends."

Mary looked down at the remnant of her soufflé, "Timmy, I really do care about you."

I knew it. This was it.

She looked at me, "Tim, Waylon's asked me to marry him."

There it was. I answered, "And you said yes."

She nodded. "Tim," she said, "I do love you, but you've got to do something. You can't stay where you are."

That was it. Did I love Mary? Fifteen minutes ago, I would've said maybe. Now I would have said yes, but it was too late. I was stuck. I was the grease monkey, the retard, the dummy. "Mary," I said, "Waylon looks like a hell of a guy, the kind of man who'll love you and treat you the way you should be."

She didn't reply.

We both got up. I said, "I guess this is it."

Again, no reply. I took her home, walked her to the door, kissed her goodnight, got in my car and pulled away.

I drove around for about a half an hour. What was I going to do? I'd lost Mary. There were the Wexler girls. I'd known and loved one or the other of them since the tenth grade, but I'd always known I was never seriously in any of their plans. Was Darla really dropping out? Was she really breaking up with her rich boyfriend? What was Amber up to? I didn't know what to do. I decided I better go see Darla; find out what she had on her mind. Who knows; maybe she'd come around?

The next day when I got to the Wexler's Darla was outside. I got out of my car and walked over. "Hi Darla," I called.

She waved and walked over, "What brings you here on this bright sunny day?"

I smiled, "Amber said you quit school and you dumped your boyfriend."

She gave me a big toothsome grin, "Thought you'd come over and try to get in my pants?"

She had me pegged.

"I guess I owe you one," She said.

I should have expected something like that. I lied, "No, I was worried."

"Me being your number one girl," she said.

Considering what Amber said, Darla didn't seem that upset. "Something like that," I said.

She laughed, "I was flunking out of Bridgewater anyway, and the boyfriend...he just didn't have your suave affair."

This was getting tedious. What she needed was a good spanking. I said, "I know. I'm God's gift."

She tilted her head, "Want to come inside? Mom and dad are at the beach."

The Wexler's owned a couple places other than Emmitsburg; one was a townhouse in Ocean City. "What's inside," I asked?

Turning and starting toward the house she said, "Let's go in and find out."

I followed.

Being inside the Wexler's was a rarity for me; she pointed to the parlor in the rear. "Go have a seat," she said. "I'll only be a minute."

I did as I was told, while she disappeared upstairs.

A few minutes later she was back down; long blond hair down around her shoulders, and dressed in a pale blue shorty pajama set that matched her eyes. She glided over and sat down beside me placing her right hand on the top of my thigh, "So, how've you been?"

She looked like someone in a Victoria's Secret ad; hair curled just right, pink cheeks, pale pink lip gloss, tiny pearl earrings, foot-long eye lashes, thin, expensive, pearl necklace, snow white teeth, poorly concealed breasts pushing up against a half buttoned silken top. I replied, "Worried about you I guess."

She sat up, that pushed those luscious protuberances further out of her top, "So, do I look all right?"

"Darla," I started. I didn't get much farther; she had my zipper down and penis out. Of course, I was rock hard. Before I could reply or respond she had her hand inside my pants holding my balls while her mouth was searching for the head of my cock.

"Darla," I said...I had to get away. I couldn't do this. Oh, I wanted to; I just knew I couldn't, not this way.

I tried to move away.

She crawled after me, "Timmy," she said.

I got up. "Darla, No!" I backed my way out of the room.

She followed me, "Timmy Come here."

I kept backing away, "Darla you know how I feel, but I can't do this. Not like this, not here." I made for the door.

She chased after me. I got outside and moved quickly toward my car. Something flew by my head, an andiron. I turned around. She was still after me. She was outside on her front lawn. Her top was half off. I ran back toward her, "Darla go inside. People will see."

She started crying, "I don't care. I don't care what they see. I want you! Timmy, I want you right now."

She was crying, really blubbering. I scooped her up like she was baby and carried her back inside, got her back on the sofa, and held her in my arms. She kept crying. I didn't say anything. I kissed her forehead and held her real close. She smelled so good!

I couldn't say how long we stayed like that. Did we do anything? No, that part was over, but she needed to cry. Sometime later she sat back up and, between hiccoughs and burps she whispered, "Thank you Tim. I'm OK now." She kissed me, "You're a real gentleman Tim."

Gentleman-that word! No, I wasn't a gentleman. I was a fool.

We held hands while she walked me to the door. She got up on tip toes and kissed me again, saying, "You have no idea how much I really do love you."

I felt scorched, "I love you too."

She stepped back about half a foot or so, "Let's not say anything about this, OK?"

I took the front of her pajama top and pulled it together. As I rebuttoned it I said, "No we won't." We kissed again and I walked to my car. When I got there, I looked back, she was still at door. She waved. I waved back, got in my car, and drove away. I kept saying to no one in particular, "This can't go on. I've got to do something. If I don't do something I'll go mad."

Our Reserve meetings rolled around. I got there early and put in a request to see our commanding officer. He was busy so I got to see our number two, a Lieutenant Colonel named Haskins.

"Colonel Haskins," I started, "I was wondering about O.C.S."

1...34567...9