One Down, One to Go

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,804 Followers

"Chloe, there was no side to take. The dress was sold."

"I don't understand," her mother said looking back and forth between them.

"What is Serge talking about, sweetheart? What does that mean, 'it was sold'?"

"Mom! Not you, too!" Chloe yelled throwing her linen napkin on her plate and running out of the room.

"Serge? What's going on?" Mrs. Stevens demanded to know.

"I think we have a very serious problem on our hands," he replied.

"Oh, for the love of God. Not again," the managing editor said shaking his head. "How much is this one going to cost me?"

He'd gotten so used to bailing his daughter of trouble, he had an attorney on call at all times ever since Chloe had gotten arrested and thrown in jail in Mexico during spring break her sophomore year of college.

"Do I need to get involved, Serge?" he said, his face looking exhausted and drawn.

"Not yet, sir," he told him. "Give me a few minutes, okay?"

"Fine, but one other question. Should I expect a knock on the door from Seattle's finest later tonight or tomorrow?"

"I hope not, sir. Let me see what I do. With any luck that won't happen."

He looked at Mrs. Stevens then said, "If you'll excuse me, please?" as he got up and headed for Chloe's room.

The door to her room—a 30 x 30 foot suite with a private bathroom and hot tub on the balcony outside of it—was locked.

"Go away!" he heard her call out.

"Chloe? You have to take it back," he told her.

"Not unless you tell that woman she had no right to keep from buying this dress!" she said refusing to call Brooklyn by her name.

"Chloe? Open the door," he said firmly.

"No! You'll just make me take it back, and it's...perfect."

"I'm not leaving until you open the door," he told her.

A few moments later he heard the door unlock. He opened it then stepped inside. Chloe was sitting on the bed admiring the dress she'd...appropriated that she'd put on a mannequin at the foot of her bed.

Serge sat next to her and kindly said, "You didn't think I'd actually be okay with you wearing that to our wedding, did you?"

"I don't know," she said in an insolent tone.

"Yes, you do. You have to. If you don't...if you don't know me even that well by now...then maybe...."

"Maybe what? Maybe you'll just walk away? Serge, you can't do that. I love you because you're the perfect guy for me," she said going from angry to pleading in the course of one sentence.

"Chloe? This...perfection thing you've got going on. Nothing is ever perfect. Nothing. And Lord knows I'm not," Serge said.

"No, but you're perfect for me," she insisted.

"I know you think that, Chloe, but the truth is, I'm not."

"Serge! Don't talk like that! You are! You're so handsome and...."

That's where Chloe always got stuck. He knew Chloe thought he was attractive, but when pressed, she found it difficult to find anything else to say about him. That had always caused Serge to wonder if he wasn't more of a prop or maybe just window dressing than anything substantive.

Yes, Chloe could be a lot of fun. Too much fun, in fact. And he'd had such a good time with her so often early on, he'd overlooked the shallow side of her often-nasty, spiteful personality which, in recent times, had grown to be pretty much all he could see. She was the quintessential spoiled rich girl who wanted to create a storybook life surrounded by perfection.

Serge now knew that she would never be enough for him. His brother was right. Marrying Chloe meant becoming Mr. Chloe Stevens, and that was his bridge too far.

"I'm sorry, Chloe. This...you and me...it...it isn't working anymore."

"So...just like that, it's...it's over?" she said in that whiny voice he hated.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Oh, you'll be sorry!" she threatened. "When Daddy gets finished with you, you'll be sorry, all right."

He wasn't about to ask for the ring back. He'd given it in good faith and considered it hers to keep even though her family's net worth was probably a several thousand times what his was. So when she pulled it off and flung it at him, he was more than a little surprised.

"Take it! I wouldn't keep your stupid ring if they paid me!" she said now using her holier-than-thou voice that dripped with condescension.

He picked up it then said, "Take the dress back, Chloe. Don't make me have to tell your father what you did."

"You wouldn't dare!" she screamed.

"No, I wouldn't," he said.

He got to the door, stopped, then said quietly, "Unless you force me to."

"Get, OUT!!!" she hollered at the top of her voice.

Her mother was waiting for him when he came down the stairs.

"That didn't go well, did it?" she said knowing her daughter all too well.

He held up the ring he was carrying in his hand and said, "No. Not at all."

He looked right at her and she said, "It's the dress, isn't it?"

"It's a lot more than that, Mrs. Stevens."

"I...I know dear. She's been my daughter a lot longer than you've been engaged to her. I know what a challenge she can be. What I'm asking is, does that dress need to be returned?"

"Yes, ma'am," he said politely. "And the sooner the better."

"I'll have her take it back tomorrow morning," she said. "And Serge? Thank you for not getting the police involved. We really don't need the bad press, pardon the pun."

"I'm just glad I won't have to. But that dress belongs to another young woman who's heartbroken, I'm sure. So for her sake...."

"Don't worry, dear. It'll be taken care of."

She walked him to the main entrance and said, "I don't suppose we'll be seeing you again."

"Unfortunately not," he told her truthfully.

"You were such a good influence on Chloe," she told him sincerely. "You may not see the change, but we do."

She actually smiled for once then said, "Even in spite of this most recent...setback."

She offered him a stiff hug which he accepted then wished her all the best.

"You, too, Serge. You're a fine young mine. I hope one day you'll find a woman as honest and decent as you."

Serge smiled weakly, nodded to her, then left the Stevens' sprawling, mansion-like home for good.

******

Kristi's Wedding Day

"Look at you! So beautiful in your gorgeous dress!" Brooklyn said admiring her daughter.

"I love it, Mom!" she said as they looked into the full-length mirror in the old church's dressing room.

She turned around and said, "And I love you."

"Oh, honey. Stop or you'll make me cry!"

"But I do. You've...you've done everything for me. You've been the best mom a girl could ever have, you're a successful business woman, you're gorgeous, and...and you're the best friend I've ever had," she said with tears in her eyes.

"Now look who's ruining her makeup!" Brooklyn said reaching for a tissue.

After touching up the mess, she told her daughter, "It was my privilege, honey. I wouldn't have traded one minute of it for anything."

They hugged one last time before Brooklyn told her she was going out to let her daughter finish getting ready.

As she left the dressing room, she saw him standing in the hallway looking at the cheap artwork on the wall. It was the first time since he'd come by the boutique and she felt silly for feeling so uncomfortable.

"Hi," she said quietly knowing he hadn't yet seen her.

He turned and immediately smiled. "Hi! Wow. You look...stunning."

"Oh. Thank you, but my daughter is the one who looks stunning," she replied.

"I have no doubt, but you look pretty incredible yourself. And speaking of the blushing bride, I thought Kristi might fire me after, you know...."

"What? No! That wasn't your fault. Chloe's mother came with her the next day, and we had a nice chat after Chloe returned the dress and stormed out. Her mother couldn't say enough nice things about you, Serge. You made quite the impression, and I think they had high hopes you might be able to tame their daughter."

"Well, thank you. Evidently whatever influence I may have had wasn't enough to rub off on the person who needed it the most. Not that I'm some kind of...perfect...role model or anything," he said not bothering to explain the history of that word to her. "Even so, I'm not going to charge Kristi for the photos. It's my way of trying to make this up to you all," he said in a contrite kind of way.

"Nonsense!" she told him. "This is your livelihood. You're really good at it, and you deserve to be paid for your expertise. Besides, without your persuasive charm, my daughter wouldn't have gotten her dress back."

"I'd like to say the police would have recovered it, but knowing Chloe the way I do, I'm afraid she might have done something to it to make it unwearable. I'm just glad Kristi can have her dream wedding," he told her sincerely.

"Me, too. She's had a tough time over the years, and today is yet one more reminder as her father won't be here to walk her down the aisle. It makes me sad, but it's what we both expected. She's tough and she can handle it, and as you might suspect, I'm very proud of her," Brooklyn told him.

"You have every right to be, and...you do look incredible," he told her again.

He politely excused himself to go wait for Kristi to be ready so he could start taking photos when Brooklyn surprised herself by turning around and saying, "As I recall, you're a very good dancer, Serge. My card isn't quite full yet so if you'd maybe like to, you know...."

Serge smiled brightly and said, "I can't think of anything I'd like more."

"Well, then I guess I'll see you...out there...later on then."

"You will," he said still smiling. "You most definitely will."

Brooklyn smiled a warm, happy smile and wondered to herself, "Would I ever really...."

Once the ceremony got close to starting, there was no time to daydream, and Brooklyn put the handsome young photographer out of her find to focus on her daughter's big day. She really did look stunning in her beautiful wedding dress, and Ryan looked razor sharp in his black tux, his hair nicely styled, and for once, totally clean-shaven.

Even though her mind was on the wedding, she could hear the quiet click of a shutter every few seconds as Serge moved around the chapel taking pictures for the album he'd be putting together for the new couple.

Brooklyn also couldn't help but notice that this photographer was taking her picture at about a 3:1 ratio to anyone and anything else in the chapel. At one point she caught his eye and mouthed, "Stop that!" but when he smiled and winked at her, she had a sudden surge of emotion that coursed through her body making it tingle from head to toe causing her to smile back and even blush ever so slightly.

"Hmmm. Maybe I would...." she allowed herself to think as she watched him continue to move around.

Like all weddings, the ceremony itself was relatively short. The organ played Here Comes the Bride as Brooklyn's brother, Nathan, walked his niece down the aisle. He'd flown in from Kentucky for the wedding, and both she and Kristi were thrilled to have him there. Until three years ago, he'd lived just a few blocks away and was the only man really ever in Kristi's life until Ryan came along and swept her off her feet.

Serge had several video cameras running to capture the entire event, but kept taking still shots until they began exchanging vows. The moment they said, "I do", the camera went back into overdrive catching events like the first kiss, the first piece of wedding cake, and the traditional tossing of the bouquet.

When it landed in Brooklyn's hands, everyone cheered, and Serge was right there capturing it all, to include the shocked look on her face, along with her daughter running over to congratulate her.

"As I once said, 'One down, one to go', Mom!" she told her before hugging her again and telling her how much she loved her.

"One to go?" Serge asked having heard the comment.

"Don't ask," she said with a smile. "At least not now."

"As you wish," he said putting one arm across his waist and doing bowing slightly.

At the reception, there was plenty of food and drink as the band played quietly in the background.

"Can I get you anything?" Serge asked as he found Brooklyn chatting with her brother.

"Champagne would be nice, but let me introduce you to my brother first."

The two men shook hands, and Nathan said, "I can see why my sister won't stop talking about you."

Serge smiled when he saw Brooklyn give him one of those 'if looks could kill' stares.

"Sorry, B. But it's the truth," he told her.

"I'll go get us a drink," he said avoiding the situation. "Nathan? Can I get you anything?"

"No thanks. Just be good to my sister, okay?" he said knowing it would draw her ire.

"Nathan! What is wrong with you?" she said more for Serge's sake than her own.

"I will," Serge said. He winked at Brooklyn then said, "If she'll let me, that is."

"Not you, too!" she said pretending to fuss but secretly thrilled to hear him say that.

When Serge returned with the champagne, Nathan shook Serge's hand then excused himself saying, "Three's a crowd, right?"

He gave his sister a hug then went to spend some time with his favorite new bride.

Now alone, the two of them chatted politely about the wedding and how beautiful everything was. Just after they each took a second sip, the lead singer said, "Ladies and gentlemen. It's time for the traditional first dance. If we could have the bride and groom please come to the center of the dance floor we'll get started."

Only Kristi knew the song she'd selected and when it turned out to be Can't Help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley, Brooklyn teared up almost instantly.

Serge saw her tear up so she wanted to explain and began by saying, "Elvis was way before my time."

She saw him raise an eyebrow so she stopped and said, clearly teasing but trying to sound serious, "Don't you dare say anything!" before continuing.

"Who me?" Serge said pointing himself as the bastion of innocence.

When he smiled at her, Brooklyn continued.

"My mom used to listen to that song all the time, and Kristi learned to love it as a little girl when we'd go to visit," she explained as the newly-married couple began to dance.

"Well, would you care to join me in joining them so could dance to the song you both love?" he asked bowing slightly again and offering her his arm.

"I would like that very much," she said smiling happily as she looped her arm through his.

"I just need to get a few shots of the new bride and groom," he said as Ryan took Kristi in his arms.

Ryan was also a pretty good dancer and was gliding around the floor with his new bride. Satisfied he'd captured the moment, Serge took Brooklyn's hand and did the same.

When they passed one another Kristi smiled and said, "Go, Mom!"

She wanted to make some cutesy reply but just smiled back and let it go.

As she followed his lead Brooklyn found herself once again feeling whatever it was she'd felt before around this handsome younger man and was soon lost in a sea of emotion.

"I've thought about you every day since the first time I saw you," Serge told her with no warning.

"Me?" Brooklyn said with surprise as though there was some other 'you' he might be talking to.

"Yes, you. I've wanted to get to get better acquainted with you, but as you know, I was...otherwise committed. But now I'm free and clear and I still very much would like to get to know you better," he told her smiling that amazing smile at her.

"It's very tempting," Brooklyn said.

"I sense a 'but' coming," he said. He didn't smile, but his eyes were still happy and bright.

"I know it's a big joke about me being Kristi's sister, but I'm not. I'm her mother and I'm well, I'm a lot older than you, Serge."

"And that matters because?" he said, the smile now back.

"Because...because it does," she replied emphasizing the word 'does'.

"Why?" he asked.

On the verge of exasperation she said, "If you just want to...what? Hang out? That would be fine. But when a man says he wants to get to know me, my brain—my very old brain—tells me that means a relationship. And my brain, such as it is, believes relationships can lead somewhere. So unless you don't have the same understanding of that word as I do, why would you want a relationship with a woman my age?"

"Why wouldn't I?" he said throwing it back at her yet again.

"Are you trying to test my patience?" Brooklyn said with a hint of sweetness. She wasn't even close to being upset, but she couldn't understand why he didn't seem to understand.

"No. Why would I do that?" he asked answering yet another question with a question.

She looked at him for a moment then had to admit she didn't have an answer.

"I don't know why," she told him.

"Are you worried you might get hurt or something?" he asked.

Taking her cue from Serge she said, "Should I be?"

"Oh. Nicely played, madame," he said, once again kind of bowing as they danced.

The song was coming to an end so Serge told her outright, "I've had the biggest crush on you and couldn't act on it until now so...now I am."

As the last notes rang out, he sang along singing, "Falling in love...with...you." And then he softly kissed her.

He saw her eyes open wide as in 'what do you think you're doing' before closing them kissing him back for the briefest of moments.

Clearly referring to that last line, Serge smiled as the kiss ended and said, "Wow. Now I see why you like that song so much."

As if she wasn't flustered enough, not one second later, she heard that familiar voice saying, "Go, Mom!" again.

"Oh, my gosh! I can't believe this is happening!" she said.

"What? That the guy you like kissed you or that I saw it and had to mention it?" Kristi teased as she watched her mother squirm.

"You are so lucky this is your special day, daughter of mine!" Brooklyn said as though she were upset.

Kristi smiled at Serge who was still holding Brooklyn's hand then said, "By the look of things, I'd say this might turn out to be your special day, too, Mom."

She gave her daughter a look then smiled as she realized maybe, just maybe she was right.

Serge gave her space the rest of the evening, but just before Brooklyn got ready to leave he walked over to her and said, "Is it too late—or maybe too early—to ask you to go have drink with me?"

It was just after 10pm on a Saturday night, so Brooklyn couldn't really use that as an excuse unless she just didn't want to see this man, and while it was 'early' it wasn't as though they'd just met.

"I think I could have one more drink," she said as that feeling returned.

"Would it be too early to ask you to have it at my place?" he said, his eyes kind and hopeful.

"Hmmm. Now that's a different story," she told him.

"There's a nice place just a few miles from here, but I thought it would be nice if we could sit and talk somewhere that's very quiet after all of the hullabaloo here tonight."

"Well, as long as we understand it's just one drink, I suppose that would be okay," she told him. That feeling not only came back it washed over like a tidal wave.

"Let me give you my address just in case we get separated," Serge offered. He punched it into her 'maps' app and hit 'start route' when a female voice said to head north on Old Church Road for one-half mile the turn right onto Denny Way causing both of them to chuckle.

"I'll walk you outside to your car then pull mine around to the front so you can follow me, if that's okay."

Brooklyn smiled sweetly at him then said, "That would be very okay."

He walked her outside, opened her door, then closed it for her before walking over to his car and pulling out where she could see him.

There was very little traffic for a change, and they made it back to his place without any delays by around 10:30pm.

Brooklyn had no idea what to expect, but she most certainly didn't expect what she saw when she stepped inside.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,804 Followers