One Last Chance

Story Info
Can his wife change his mind?
1.7k words
4.12
7.4k
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Carmilla234
Carmilla234
60 Followers

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is my second story I've ever written on here. Although this story isn't erotic, I still felt it best to submit it under this section. Let me know what you think. All errors in plot, grammar, and spelling are my own. I do not support, not condone the actions in this story. If you feel like Christopher, please, please, please seek professional help. There's someone who can help you. All characters are over the age of 18.

* * *

Christopher Bryant stood motionless as he glanced down the ledge of his fourteen story apartment. It was rather peculiar standing up here where nobody could see him. Observing the people below him, he questioned if this was the correct solution for him. Deep down though, he knew it was.

His wife, Lizzie, had found him an hour earlier and had been pleading with him to reconsider taking his life. "Chris! For God's sake! Just wait and talk to the cops when they come here," she pleaded again to him, her warm gray eyes filling up with tears.

Chris didn't plan to do this today. He wasn't the type of man to randomly wake up, take a shower, and plan to kill himself. His eyes roamed down below him to the endless horizon and noticed a couple walking their dog. Spotting a girl walking the sidewalk with her father, he smiled.

'If Erin still lived with me, would she want to do that?' he thought to himself.

As the city of Savannah woke up from its deep slumber, more and more people woke up and planned to shop, visit friends, and have a good time. A good time. When was the last time he had truly been happy? Wasn't it the day before his wife and child left to never be seen again?

It wouldn't be that hard. Just take a step. It'll be quick and then the pain will end.

Checking his wristwatch that had been a gift from his parents, his wife began to plead with him again.

"Chris? Honey, talk to me. It'll get better, you know that? I promise it will."

"Liz, please stop talking. Please. I really need to think about what I am gonna do."

"About what!" she exclaimed, "For fuck's sake, I am not just gonna leave you here to jump down and end everything. Just step off the ledge. We can have sit down in your apartment, listen to some music, and just talk. Why are you doing this? Is this a punishment?"

Chris turned to his wife in amazement. "A punishment? No. No, this isn't a punishment. I can't deal with this empty void anymore." Gazing at his wife for the first time, he realized what she was wearing.

"You know, I never thought you were the one to wear white. It looks nice on you, If you had stayed with me, I would've bought you a whole wardrobe of white blouses. Knowing you, you would've worn those ugly black jeans you always wore when you went to work."

Elizabeth Bryant stared at her husband moment at a loss of words. Finally, after what seemed like eternity, she whispered, "I know. But you know I couldn't stay. I had to go with Erin and leave. I...I'm so sorry. I didn't want this to happen."

Chris simply shrugged his shoulders. The sound of sirens blared off in the distance, a loud disturbance on the otherwise peaceful Saturday afternoon. He debated briefly calling the authorities to tell them to shut down the street where he lived, but thought it would be better to tell them in person.

A chilly October breeze brushed past the couple. "You should go back in the stairwell. It's cold. Just close your eyes, it'll be quick and I'll be out of pain."

The young woman wrapped herself in her plaid jacket and shook her head, her dark curls bouncing in the wind. The door behind them burst open and she heard two figures enter the roof.

Turning his head, Christopher was greeted by two men in uniform. Crinkling his nose, he asked the question the men weren't expecting. "What do you gentlemen want?"

"Mr Bryant?'' a dark skinned woman asked him.

Rolling his eyes, Christopher said, "Do you see any other men about to jump off this roof?"

"Mr Bryant, my name is Officer Maddox from the Savannah Police Department. This is my partner, Officer Youngkins. Would you be willing to step off the edge of the roof for a moment?" asked a tall, Hispanic man.

Chris sighed and turned back towards the sun. "Look, I really appreciate the effort you guys put in, I really do. It won't change my mind though. I am jumping off this ledge and the only reason I haven't is because-"

"Mr Bryant, we don't know what is going on. I can only imagine how you feel. We have someone who wants to talk to you, his name is-"

As Officer Maddox droned on in the background, Elizabeth reached forward and grasped her husband's hand. Glancing at her, Chris noticed how her usually beautiful eyes appeared dull and depressed. Sighing, he let go of her hand and reached in his pocket to pull out his cigarettes.

"Officers, I really want some time to think. Please leave me alone for a bit. If you won't", he said lighting his cigarette, "I plan to jump off the ledge early."

The two officials stared at the suicidal man and whispered to each other. After a moment of back and forth, they chose to go back inside the stairwell and shut the door.

Lighting his cancer-stick, Chris took a long drag and stood quietly for a moment.

After fifteen minutes, his wife broke the silence. "Erin misses you, you know."

Putting out his cigarette, Chris nodded. "I miss her too. I seriously do. Does she like books like me or is she interested in books like you?"

"Books. She has your gift with words. She loves drinking coffee now and reading under a tree."

The suicidal man chuckled and nodded. "Do you remember how we first met?"

"Yeah, at the bookstore. I didn't even mean to bump into you, That was an accident. Remember how I helped you re-stack those book you were holding?"

"Oh I remember. My foot was sore for awhile. I will have you know, it really sucked having to give a lecture on Realism when my foot throbbed constantly."

"I never asked you Chris but.. what was it like?"

"What? Teaching?"

"No, seeing me in your classroom.''

A short laugh erupted from Chris as he lit a second smoke. "That's hard to explain. I didn't even know you were in my class. Imagine my surprise when I saw you in the desk nearest me, writing the schedule with some strange academic pride. Remember when I asked you to stay behind class that one time. How I had to tell you that we couldn't go on. I...I sometimes wonder if I was selfish. Being with you I mean."

The sun now shined down on them and the humidity picked up. As birds began to chirp, Elizabeth heard the faint sound of firetrucks and several police cruisers off in the distance. Strangely, Christopher looked serene right now. He looked like they were on a date instead of her trying to convince he still had a purpose without.

"Do you regret it?" he asked Lizzie.

"Not one bit", she said, joining him on the ledge. "I don't regret it one bit. You gave me our little girl."

"I miss her. Everyday I think about her and think about what I could have said to change things. I wish I would've hugged her before you left. Tell her 'I love you' one last time. I..I wish I could go back in time to change things."

"You don't have to do this Chris. Just strep down. It's not too late."

"Hey Elizabeth?"

"Hmm?" she replied.

As he turned to face the woman he loved, a million thoughts rolled through his mind. "I love you. You were the best thing that ever happened to me. I...I just w-wanna see you again and..." he chocked out. As tears began to fill his green eyes, a memory came to mind that made him smile. "I still remember the wedding. How happy you were when you get the job. How we couldn't decide what color to paint Erin's bedroom.."

Lizzie nodded in understanding. "That's why I need you to fight it. There's so much you still experience. I know you can do it."

Shaking his head, Chris sighed. "You don't get it. I'm dead inside. Everyday it gets worse and worse and worse."

He wrapped his arms around his wife and sobbed out, "I should've never let you and Erin go out in that weather. I should've had the brakes replaced earlier. It's my fault. I see the things I could've done, should've done."

Lizzie wrapped her arms around him. "It's not your fault. It wasn't your time. You weren't meant to go yet. It was our time, not yours."

Pulling back from the hug, his lips pressed against hers.

"Do me a favor."

"Anything," Elizabeth whispered.

"Tell me you love me. I need to hear it. Just...just one more time."

"I love you Christopher Michael Bryant. I always have and I always will."

"Tell me you forgive me," he said hoarsely.

"Baby..."

"Say it!"

Lizzie realized no matter what she would say would change her husband's mind. He was always like that, once his mind was set it was set. Instead of changing his mind, she was prolonging his suffering.

"I love you and I forgive you. Hold my hand."

As the couple grasped each other's hand, Christopher shut his eyes and jumped.

* * * * * *

"Dad!" came a small voice.

Opening his eyes, Chris realized he laying on the ground. Standing up, he brushed himself clean of the dirt and gravel that covered him and looked around him. The world seemed clean, vibrant, and beautiful.

"Dad! Are you done looking around? Can we go home now?" asked the same voice.

Turning around and seeing his daughter, Chris stopped and crushed her against him.

Giggling, his daughter hugged him back. "Dad, can we go home now? I am really hungry and Mom just made some dinner. You like alfredo, right?"

Holding his daughter's hand, Christopher Bryant nodded. "Yeah sweetie. Let's go home to your mother."

THE END

Carmilla234
Carmilla234
60 Followers