One Piece at a Time

Story Info
God will gather the pieces. Forgiveness is Rick's job.
7.2k words
4.47
15.9k
8
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The double doors of the church stood open, and a man outside was greeting people as they walked up. Kelly tossed her blonde hair behind her shoulder, and thought, 'Here goes nothing.' She could hear the piano playing and people singing as she approached. The man said good morning to her, and she replied with a smile. As she walked up the stairs, people came into view. The parishioners were milling about, talking, singing, greeting one another. One by one they saw her, and one by one they froze for a moment before greeting her warmly.

Kelly felt tears sting her eyes. She was welcomed back into the fold. After she sat down, she glanced around as she sang, smiling and giving a small wave to those she recognized. She was a little early, so the people she dreaded and longed to see hadn't yet arrived.

Betty, the woman playing the piano and singing, switched to a different song, and as she played the intro, she asked, "It's a beautiful morning. Have you thanked God for it yet?"

It was answered by most everyone. Some said, "Amen", others said, "Yes, yes, thank you Lord."

Betty again spoke, "Remember, when you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on. The Lord will help you always. He will be your friend when no one else will."

Again, the congregation replied. The Pastor added, "If you're a hundred steps away from the Lord, if you take that first step, He will take the other ninety-nine."

Betty began singing, and the church sang with her. Some clapped, some tapped their feet. Kelly's head tipped down and she shut her eyes.

'Lord, please help me with what I'm about to do today. Give me the strength to say what needs said, and help me win forgiveness. Please. Amen.'

"Kelly. Gracious, I didn't expect to see you this morning." A man's jovial voice spoke at her side.

"Hello, Papaw. How have you been?" Kelly stood, and she gave him a quick hug.

He held onto her arms, and set her back from him slightly. "I've been good.. You look wonderful. You've lost quite a bit of weight!"

"I have. About fifty pounds so far."

"That's wonderful! Why are you here?" Papaw's eyes were shrewd. He knew something was in the air.

"I've come for forgiveness. I figured this was the best place to get it." Kelly smiled at her ex-fiancé's grandfather.

"You know, you're probably right. I don't think it's forgiveness from the Lord you're talking about, is it." It was a statement.

"No. Does he still come?"

"Oh yes, Rick still comes, and so does Pam. Every week. You know, Rick has gotten pretty involved with the church since.. Well, you know."

"I know." Pam was Rick's mother, and they were due to arrive any second.

"Just between us, I understand why you couldn't do it. I've talked to God, and I understand. I forgive you. I think Rick will too. Pam does already, but she's still hurt over how it all turned out, you know. You want him back?"

"I do."

"Then if he is being stubborn, Pam and I will talk some sense into him. If it's meant to be, which I think it is, everything will work out. God will gather the pieces, because he knows the master design. Let's pray."

"Thank you." Kelly felt tears sting her eyes again.

"Heavenly Father, help these young people see the truth. Help them work through their differences, and strengthen them Lord, give them the clarity to see what's right in front of them. Lord, we pray that stubbornness and pride won't cloud judgment, and that they can find happiness. One piece at a time, Lord. If it's not meant to be, it won't. In your precious name, Lord, we pray. Amen."

"Amen."

"Here they come."

Papaw made a quick retreat, heading off to meet them by the doors. Kelly sat down with her back erect and her neck uncomfortably stiff, with her hands folded in her lap. She began singing, needing something to do to keep her mind focused. Hearing their approach, she sensed more than heard the hesitation in their step. She had been spotted. Her head turned on it's own accord, and she looked up into the deep brown eyes of the man she had left standing at the altar, in this very church, one year ago this very day.

"Welcome back."

The two simple words struck Kelly right in the sternum. He looked angry, and he looked hurt. He didn't mean it. Pam however, stood in the pew in front of her and gave her a tight squeeze.

"I've missed you."

"I've missed you too." Kelly blinked back tears, and she looked into the face of a woman she admired so, but had hurt so deeply.

"I'm sorry."

"I know."

Kelly turned her gaze to Rick. She watched his eyes flash with a million different emotions, and she swore his chin trembled for a moment. Tears slipped over her eyelids and she blinked, keeping her eyes shut for a moment, gathering her strength. When she opened them, Rick was still looking at her with an indiscernible expression on his face, but he sat down beside her.

That small gesture said more than any words could. He was on his way to forgiving her. Pam sat on the other side of her, and Papaw sat beside Rick. Together they sang, prayed, and listened to the service. Kelly hadn't felt so light in a long time. She smiled, feeling the wonder of the glorious day, feeling renewed within her soul.

Betty sang 'Amazing Grace', and Kelly felt tears again. Finally, she broke down and let herself sob quietly. Pam put her arm around her and rubbed her back gently. Once her tears stopped, Pam gave her a squeeze, and put her arm back down to her side. Kelly smiled her thanks, then looked back up to the pastor, who was finishing his point.

"God gave his son to us. Gave him up for us. If He is willing to do that, what else will He do? I want everyone to think about that. How profound that is. Look at your brothers and sisters, and think, what would you do for them? Love one another, help one another, and above all, don't judge each other, and be sure to forgive." The pastor looked around. "You're dismissed, have a wonderful day, thank you for coming!" He took off to the back of the sanctuary reading to shake hands with everyone as they left.

Pam and Papaw started talking, but Rick and Kelly stayed put for a moment. She looked at his hands as he rubbed them absently on the thighs of his pants.

"Pastor Dave is as entertaining as ever." Kelly finally looked at Rick's face.

"Yeah. I've gotten to know him pretty well. He's an awesome guy. He truly cares about people."

"Of course he does, he's a preacher." Kelly joked.

Miracle of all miracles, Rick's mouth twitched into a smile.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." He looked over at her and grabbed her hand. "Let's go."

~

"Why are you here?"

Kelly hesitated. They had said their good byes, then headed out down the path behind the church. They walked through the cemetery, listening to the birds singing and feeling the sun on their faces. Rick had finally spoken, and Kelly didn't want to break the spell. She looked down at their linked hands and took a deep breath.

"For forgiveness."

"Do you know how bad you hurt me?"

"I'm sure it was a lot. It hurt me too."

"I packed all your stuff, expecting you to call, but I really wanted to burn it. You never called. I unpacked it all and put it back where it belonged. Your clothes are still hanging in my closet." Rick swallowed hard.

Kelly was speechless. At the time, she thought she loved him more than he loved her. Apparently that hadn't been the case.

"I did a lot of church things. I came to both services on Sunday, and on Wednesday night. I went to the men's group on Tuesdays, and the rest of the week was miserable. I needed God to explain to me why you left. I was angry. Betrayed. Embarrassed. And my heart was broken into a million pieces." Rick glanced over at her and stopped walking.

"Did He have an answer?" Kelly met his gaze steadily.

"He didn't, but He helped me see inside myself and I found the answer on my own. We'd been through so much, and were having a run of good times. You were afraid the bottom was going to fall out. My job wasn't very secure and things with mom were shaky. I think you panicked."

"You're right." Kelly nodded her head.

"I wish you would have talked to me. We could have held off. I wish you wouldn't have left me standing there with a church full of people and my heart on my sleeve." Rick's jaw tightened.

"If I could go back and do things differently, I would. In a heartbeat." She sighed. "Rick, I stood there in my gown, my hair done, the veil trailing down my back, and I sobbed. I was so afraid. My make up was ruined, and I had wrung my hands so badly I mangled my bouquet. My mind just...sort of closed down, and the next thing I knew I was fifty miles away in my wedding dress, with a ruined batch of flowers in the passenger seat."

"Kelly... I wish you could have talked to me.. Just called. Anything. I would have done anything to make it right. I wouldn't have forced you to marry me that day."

"I know you wouldn't have. I was just terrified and on auto-pilot. I'm so sorry Rick, for everything. The fact you even looked at me today was amazing. I thank you for it." Kelly took a deep breath.

"I wanted to knock you off the pew ya know. Just wham! See you hurting and embarrassed on the floor. Make you feel a tenth of what I felt. But God was in my ear quicker than my reflexes." Rick smiled.

"I would have deserved it." Kelly took a deep breath.

"So.. Was it only forgiveness you're after?"

"No. Rick, I- well... I want you back. I want us to be together again. I've done a lot of soul searching myself this past year, and I know what I want. We were good together, when times were good anyway. I think we've both grown and matured, and I know that I am ready for a serious relationship again. With you." Taking a deep breath, she plunged on. "If you're not ready, or don't want it with me, just tell me now. I'll never speak to you again."

For long moments, Rick's eyes searched her face. Kelly swallowed hard, unable to read the emotions in his eyes. Kelly's shoulders slumped. He wasn't going to go for it. She took a small step backwards.

"Thanks for talking to me today Rick. It meant a lot. I'm sorry. I just wanted you to know." Kelly's eyes had dropped from his, and she turned quickly.

Taking off, she jogged towards her car, stopping for a split second to take off her high heels. Then she ran. By the time she reached her vehicle, her face was wet with tears. Kelly took deep gasping breaths of air, trying to control her sobbing until she was at least in the car, but as she fumbled with her keys she was losing the battle.

Suddenly, strong arms wrapped around her waist and she was spun away from her car. She looked up, squinting in the sunlight.

"I didn't answer." Rick was breathing quickly from his morning jog also.

Bringing both hands up, Kelly wiped her face as she sniffled. She didn't notice he had kept his arms around her.

"So? Yes or no?" Another sniffle.

So quickly that it didn't have time to register, Rick tipped his head and claimed her lips with his own. In the church parking lot, with the sun beating down on their heads with her back against the car, Rick kissed her with a years worth of hurt and longing. Kelly's arms went around his neck, and Rick leaned into her, pinning her to the car.

After a few moments, he leaned back.

"That enough answer for you?"

Kelly was shaken, and couldn't form the thought to tell him it was. Rick smiled. It was a slow smile, formed from his heart.

"So what now?"

Kelly regained her wits, and flashed him a grin.

"I have no idea."

~

The couple spent their time getting to know one another again. A year was a long time, and they'd both changed. Kelly was amazed at how much he had grown up. Everything happens for a reason, and she knew in her heart that had they gotten married a year ago, they probably wouldn't be together today.

She joined Rick at church functions and services, and started going to the women's group on Tuesday nights. She hadn't realized how much she missed the people there. They were planning a summer festival, and Kelly threw herself into the preparations. With only a few weeks to go until the big day, the members were more than happy for her help.

Between all the church work and real work, Rick and Kelly didn't have much time for alone time. Adult alone time. Kelly sort of felt like they should wait...but there was a part of her that remembered his kisses, the way his work-roughened hands felt on her body, how it felt to be claimed by him...but she always shook the thoughts off. It wasn't very appropriate. She was different now...but apparently, lust was her favorite sin.

Rick had much the same thoughts. He wanted to lead by example, but every day it got harder and harder to resist Kelly...he wanted nothing more than to take her to bed. It helped that he wanted to go to bed with her and wake up next to her every day for the rest of his life...but it wasn't official yet. He was biding his time.

~

"What do you think about these decorations? The fellowship hall is so bare. Oh, remind me to go to the store and get the cake mixes. I've got to make about a million cupcakes for the festival." Kelly was talking a mile a minute, exited about the festival. It was two days away, and she wanted it to be perfect.

"They're cute. I like them. I'm sure everyone else will too."

"I hope so. I've got to go over after work tomorrow and put them up. Do you want to meet me over there?" Kelly put the banners and streamers and balloons back in the bags.

"Sure." Rick was currently getting meat ready for the grill. They were at Kelly's house, ready to have dinner and watch a movie.

Kelly moved to the counter and got the sack that held ears of corn from Papaw's garden. Walking though the sun room, she opened the back door and left it hanging wide, letting the early summer breeze blow through the house. Settling herself at the patio table, she began shucking the corn, while Rick turned on the grill.

"What are we going to do with us, Kelly?" Rick leaned back against the house and crossed his arms over his chest.

"What do you mean?" She glanced up from her task.

With a one shoulder shrug, he continued, "I mean, do you want to get married? Date? What do you want to do?"

"I guess I hadn't thought that far. I mean, I have, but..." She trailed off, and looked down at the cob of corn in her hand. Suddenly it was very important to get every last strand of silk off of it.

"But what? What do you want?" Rick moved and crouched down in front of her, resting his forearms on her thighs.

"Have we known each other again, long enough? I want to be with you Rick, don't doubt that. Are we ready to get married?"

"I think so. I just want you to be sure, because I don't want history to repeat itself." He gave her a lopsided smile.

"I don't either. I think we're ready though, don't you?"

Rick reached up and caught the back of her neck, pulling her mouth to his. His lips molded against hers, and his tongue snuck between the seam of her lips and fought with hers. After several long moments, Kelly was ready to throw him on the patio and rip his clothes off, but he pulled back. She heaved a frustrated sigh.

"Why do you insist on answering me with kisses?"

"Because you like them. And it confuses you. And you're awfully precious with that little line between your eyebrows." Rick stood and jumped back as she made a swing with the ear of corn.

"Here. You do this. I'm going to go cut up the veggies for you to throw on the grill too."

"You women sure are bossy." Rick gave her a quit swat on the behind as she walked past him.

"If men would listen, we wouldn't have to be." Kelly laughed and made her way into the house.

After dinner, they decided to not watch a movie. Back out onto the patio they went, carrying glasses of iced tea. Her table had a mini fire pit in the center, so Rick set it up and got a little fire going. Her house faced the wrong way to watch the sun set, so they were content to watch shadows fall.

As it grew darker, they sat in companionable silence, breaking it only once in a while with some mundane chit chat. They listened to the crickets and birds and the neighbors dogs down the road. Occasional traffic broke the spell, but it was still pretty quiet.

Rick was lost in his thoughts, snapping twigs and throwing them into the fire. He knew Kelly was watching him, and it made him smile. Never in a million years had he thought he'd ever really see her again, let alone for them to be together again. And what was scary, was that he had bought a ring. A new ring, full of new promise. He was just trying to decide how to ask her.

He had called Papaw and talked to him about asking her to marry him again, and of course, Papaw and everyone else was all for it. They had prayed together over it, and he'd actually even talked to Pastor Dave about the situation. Everyone seemed to think it was a good idea. They could all look at Kelly and see her heart in her eyes, and that gave them the confidence to say that he was making the right decision.

Kelly stared at Rick as he contemplated the fire. He looked awfully serious about something, but there was also a half smile on his face. She felt tears sting her eyes as she looked at him, still surprised that he spoke to her, let alone took her back. She had chopped away at his confidence with one move, and she knew she was blessed that he loved her so deeply.

She made a promise inside herself right then, that no matter what, she would never hurt this man again. Her heart lifted, she sat her iced tea on the table and Rick didn't even blink. He was still lost in thought. Feeling frisky and tired of the cat and mouse games, she stood. That finally got his attention.

Rick glanced up as Kelly took the few steps that separated them. It was almost completely dark, save a tiny purple tint in the horizon and the orange glow from their little fire. Her hair glowed golden in the light, and he jerked in surprise as she settled herself astride his lap.

"What are you doing?"

"Being friendly."

"I'd say so." Rick laughed and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"I'm cold." She nuzzled the side of his neck.

"So let's go in."

"No." Her voice was barely more than a whisper as her lips settled against his skin.

Rick knew he was in trouble. Her lips shifted to his ear, and her tongue peeked out to trace the curve of his lobe. She nibbled it gently, then moved to that spot just below and behind his ear that had always been his undoing. She breathed a sigh that sent a shot of heat straight to his groin. Kelly wasn't stupid; she knew exactly what she was doing.

"Kelly...you're not playing fair."

"I never said I was going to." She gave a soft laugh.

Rick felt the heat from between her legs radiating into him, and his cock lurched in response. His body knew that in under ten seconds he could be sheathed inside the love of his life, but something...moral...held him still.

Kelly's hands moved, trailing into his hairline at the nape of his neck, then holding him still as her mouth plundered his. Rick was trying to restrain himself, but each second made it harder. Literally and figuratively. Her fingertips massaged his scalp, then her hands moved to his shoulders, kneading the tension from there. Rick held himself in check, willing to let her play. It was ironic; he'd spent four years with her, living in sin. Now, everything was different...somehow he didn't want to dirty what they had. He really wanted to wait until they were married. He hadn't told her that, and she had no idea that he was going to propose to her soon. He just had to get through this one encounter, and he'd be home free.

Kelly moved her hands from his shoulders. The fire had died down and all that was left was embers. Her backyard was draped in shadows, and he could just barely make out her form in front of him, so he wasn't worried about neighbors seeing them. Her hands moved to the hem of her shirt, and she pulled it off over her head. Rick's eyes grew wide.

12