One True Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In truth I didn't want an agreement signifying what would happen if our marriage ended before we had even got married, however Uncle Robert who was not only family, but my solicitor insisted. Sage words in light of recent developments and one that was causing Mark a lot of distress. In fact, he was on the verge of exploding, as all his carefully laid plans, the schemes and hopes of living a better life on my coattails with my wife, were now disappearing into dust.

Well, why only £35k? Mark asked with what little fight he still had left.

I'm trying to be fair to Helen and to you I said looking directly at Helen, only she now had her eyes fixed firmly on the floor in disbelief. My solicitor advised me that in leu of our circumstances that the court would probably at worst only award you a 60/40 split of our combined assets. However, I didn't want to be the one to stand in the way of your true love, so I've agreed to offer you a 70/30 split of all our savings and investments. Is that not fair?

Whilst I was handing over the investment statements to Mark, Helen finally found her voice.

We had more than £50'000 in savings? The last time we checked there was over £300'000 invested, what happened to all that money?

For the first time that evening I finally looked sheepish and just a little guilty. I'm sorry to say that you two aren't the only ones hiding a secret. You see just over a month ago when I found out about your affair, I was lost. I thought long and hard about how I could win you back from good ole Mark here. I thought about my many failures that would drive you into another man's arms.

In truth I struggled. Helen, did I not show you enough love? No, that can't be it for I told you every day. In fact, we seemed to be making love every day. Were you then unhappy with our life? I know we both worked a lot and suffered crazy hours, however, when we were together you never said you were unhappy, in fact it was always the opposite? You couldn't wait to tell me how happy you were with me and our life together! So, I admit, I was totally stumped to come up with a reason and then it hit me.

If I was to truly win you back and tear you away from your one true love, then I had to prove to you that I was the better man. A better man, one who could provide you with the better life. I know you always wanted a more desirable car to drive. Instead of a romantic cruise around the Med, how about a luxurious cruise around the Caribbean. Then I got to thinking about that enticing house in the suburbs you were always going on about!

Well, if I was to achieve this then I needed to work fast. Unfortunately, the little amount of money in our accounts weren't enough for what I had planned, so I needed to speculate a bit. Before you cry foul about my accessing the accounts and withdrawing the money without your permission, the accounts were all in my name. It was true, I always handled the accounts as I was simply more proficient with money than she was. As for being in my name only, well I quite often need to move the money around to get the best returns, being in my name meant I could quickly and easily move the funds around. All perfectly legal and above board.

Alas though, whilst I good at investing money, it turns out I'm rather useless at gambling. Who knew playing poker was so difficult? Anyway, where was I, oh yes, I was just lucky that Rob figured out what I was doing and managed put a stop to me before a lost even more money. Do you know, he's even signed me up for Gambles Anonymous so in the future, I can handle my addiction better. I must admit at this point I tried to look sheepish, I failed, but at least I tried.

Shock, horror and the dawn of a new reality filled both their faces.

I, I need time to think about it. This is all happening to fast. I.. I need time. Helen's last words were nearly a whisper and a flood of tears.

NO, my voice betraying any illusion of the control that I was showing. You have five minutes to sign the papers in front of you. If I walk out with nothing signed, then the deal is off the table and I will change the papers and cite adultery. Remember, I have photos and videos of you two together and I won't be afraid to show them to the world. You've already done your worst, don't make me do mine!

Secondly, in light of current events, my gambling addiction might just resurface and if that happens I will ensure you both get nothing...Listen to me, this is the best deal you are both going to get I said looking directly at them, sign it and move on with your lives. As you've it said yourself, you both deserve and are made for each other.

With a heavy sigh of defeat and regret and with the more then gentle prompting from lover boy, she reached down and signed the papers and with the swish of a pen signalled the official end of my marriage.

Just before I walked out the door, I handed her a key and an envelope. The key is for a storage container, I've already moved all your belongings and everything that reminds me of you over to it. It's paid for a week, after that it's down to you. This envelope is for you and you alone. When you have a moment, you should look at it. I think you will find it rather illuminating.

And with that I stood up and without looking back, I walked out the door to an uncertain future.

Epilogue:

What happens to a broken heart, can it magically mend itself?

Although Helen had signed the paperwork, she tried right up until the last moment to talk to me. She loved me, only me. It was a mistake, a terrible mistake. She was sorry, she never meant to hurt me. He was finally out of her heart and life, could I ever find a way to let her back in mine?

I was lucky though, Rob had a friendly judge who was able to fast track the case and within sixty days I was a free man. Victory yeah, only why does my victory feel so hollow.

The envelope, well I'm sure you've guessed it, was Mark's greatest hits. You see whilst investigating the affair, my Pi uncovered several other pertinent points regarding our loveable rouge. Firstly, he was dishonourably discharged from the Navy, an altercation with married naval officer leaving the husband in hospital and his career going sideways fast. The wife was pregnant with Mark's child and upon her divorce, she believed Mark would do the honourable thing. Helen turned out to be nothing more than a meal ticket, with benefits

The great love affair ended very quickly after that. Firstly, she refused to have anything more to do with him, choosing wisely to stay with friends. Secondly, rumours abound that he tried to steal some of her money.

It appears that his luck in life as well as love didn't improve either after that night. He was robbed one night shortly after our confrontation and a certain part of his anatomy received most of the punishment. Of course, I know you're all thinking it was my involvement, only I could prove that I was on the other side of town at a friend's party all night with at least eight witnesses. Although I have to confess. it gave me great pleasure when I hit him for the second time. Standing over him, seeing the abuser cower away from me whilst telling him if he ever touched Helen again, I would do worse. Much worse!

Funnily enough he never reported me or the fact he was robbed. Although, it took him another week and a chat with a very large friend of mine, to finally realise that I was serious. He left town shortly after that, never to return. Now, before you get the wrong idea, this had nothing to do with the affair. On that score, he had won her fair and square. No, one night under the pretence of trying to apologise and explain he had wormed his way into Helen's apartment. After apologising and begging for a second chance the real motive for his appearance emerged, he asked for some money. After refusing the first time he resorted to the threat of blackmail. Several home movies would make an appearance, unless she handed over some money. At this point she not only refused but told him that if he didn't leave, she would call the police. Enraged at being thwarted, he hit her twice before stealing what little she had with her. Although I hated what she did to us, I still and would probably forever love her. Helen didn't deserve what he did, and I made sure that it was never going to happen again!

It was nearly six months after that night at Hocking Street, till I saw her again. She was standing at the bus stop near her work and I was caught in the traffic heading home from a nearby meeting, our eyes locked. She was still beautiful and in that second, she took my breath away. I could see the effects of the last six months had weighed heavy on her. Those sensual enticing lips were locked more in a scowl than a smile. Those warm hazelnut eyes had lost some of their sparkle. She looked unhappy and full of sorrow. Seeing me, her expression turned from one of surprise to regret, and then, unable to hold my gaze, she simply turned away.

I was still lost looking in her direction, hoping for her to look back, when the lights changed. A loud reminder from the car behind me brought me out of my memories, and with one final dejected look, I drove off in the opposite direction.

What was the cost of my One True love? Well, in our case, it was two broken hearts...

12