One Week in May

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We were herded into a conference room at 2pm. Several people walked in. There was the CEO of GCON and the CEO of Revecon, a couple of minions and, fuck me days, my wife Bridget and her direct boss Anthony Schaefer.

GCON's CEO put a happy spin of everything announcing that they were merging with Revecon. Henceforth the New Zealand operation would be known Revecon GCON and the GCON Australia operation totally absorbed into Revecon. Anthony Schaefer would head the New Zealand group. The Revecon CEO then spoke. According to someone who whispered to me, he was apparently a bit of an obsessive megalomaniac and a born again Christian. He spoke sparkling words that were meant to be inspirational about what the two forces were going to achieve. He said nobody's job was in jeopardy. He said that Anthony Schaefer comes with an impressive background from the States that we were lucky to have the benefit of.

Curiously they did not introduce Bridget although everyone in the room knew she was my wife. Several people were glancing at me with concerned looks as the speeches dragged on. Bridget just sort of hung about with the big boys looking at the ground and occasionally making furtive glances at me.

When the speeches were over they did not stay around for drinks, they marched out. I swiftly moved over and managed to stop Bridget. I tried to get some time with her but she brushed me off saying she had to go. I could not get one sensible word out of her. She was obviously avoiding any questions by just saying things like, "Isn't it wonderful we will be working together." Finally she said, "I will be in on Saturday Morning we can talk then. "

She didn't mention Lily.

I didn't stay around for drinks either. I called a taxi and headed to the airport to get an earlier flight.

I smelt a rat and a big fat one at that. The next day would be Friday I wanted to catch my colleagues at KLCON. Friday is a difficult day for business in Malaysia as it is a Muslim nation. Knowing the Kuala Lumpar time difference I phoned through to them from the airport lounge. I asked them if they knew anything about this merger. No, they did not. I said something is going on and warned them not to sign any documents. I asked them to hold the alliance until I could determine what's happening. They asked who GCON was merging with. I said Revecon. There was a gasp. I then told them that my boss will be one Anthony Schaefer. "NO! We will not have anything to do with that man."

'Now there's a tale', I thought.

I continued, "I can't go into detail here I will call you Monday."

They replied that if Schaefer was to be involved I had done well to warn them.

Friday was a bad day. I spent it unproductively stewing. Somebody mentioned that Schaefer came here via Australia. He had a Kiwi wife. Revecon had one large mall project in Auckland and Schaefer's management style was not liked. In short he was a bully.

"Shit, I thought. What has Bridget got herself into?"

Saturday Bridget didn't show.

I managed to get through to her late afternoon. "Sorry, Sorry", she said, "I got tied up here, you have got to understand this is big deal"

My reply was caustic. "Do you remember a little girl named lily. Really cute! She used to be your daughter. But I guess she is little deal." I switched off the phone.

Bridget did not show Sunday.

So that is why I had a bad night last night.

I get up slowly and go into Lily's room. Lily has a cute mop of blonde hair and a bright blue twinkle in her eyes, but boy does she have smelly nappies in the morning.

So we do that. Then cleaned up and fresh, she goes scampering around. She might be in her terrible twos but she is usually pretty good in the mornings. I get her into a pretty pink dress that her grandma bought her. (The book club bitches would hate that as they would prefer a black one, I surmise.) A fresh nappy, her tote bag of baby paraphernalia and it's off to Grandmas for breakfast before I go to work.

***********

Monday 6th May 7:00 a.m.

The week begins.

I am sitting with Bridget's Mother Claudija, describing the previous week. She is open mouthed.

"This is unbelievable."

"There is something wrong. It's like she's possessed. I am genuinely worried for her mental wellbeing."

She says, "I've always blamed those women at the book group. They are not feminists. That's a witches coven Bridget is mixing with."

I reply, "Nah, she is passed that now. She's into something else."

"What do you think?"

"I don't know what to think."

"Do you think she's cheating on you?"

"She may be. I think it may be part of it but I think it is much larger than that. Something stinks in the state of Denmark, as they say. I have a strong feeling of impending doom. Bridget is totally out of her depth, she is going to need our help."

"You're pretty smart, I am sure you will cope."

"I'm girding my loins, Mother, girding my loins."

Bridget's Mother gives me a warm motherly smile. It's one of those smiles mothers give when they have complete confidence in you. I only hope it's not misplaced; I have a feeling this is a week that I am going to have to do battle. It's going to be a big one. I think Alemein; think Kurst; think Leyte Gulf.

********

Monday 6th May 8:15 am

I stride out of the lift holding my carry cup of flat white in my left hand and my satchel in the other.

Heading for my office, the receptionist catches me.

"There are a couple of people in Dean's Office waiting for you."

"Hi Heather, Where's Dean?"

"Gone to Auckland for a week."

"When was that decided?"

"Happened in the weekend apparently."

"Interesting? I wonder why I wasn't informed."

I motion toward my office I notice the door closed.

"You can't go in there, it's locked."

"What? Why?"

"Better talk to the two in Dean's office."

Dean is the branch manager. I am principal technical manager. I rank higher in the pecking order as Deans role was administrative and local, while I oversee an international operation.

The interesting thing about the way Heather is referring to the two in Dean's office is that she is inferring that they are two people I would not know. When I get to Dean's door I am astounded to see my wife sitting behind Dean's desk. Heather knew damn well who my wife is but apparently she is too embarrassed to warn me.

I turn and look quizzically at Heather who only shrugs.

"Into the breech," I say quietly but audibly.

Poker face Bridget is sitting there with what I could only describe as a massive goon wearing a security uniform two sizes too small standing beside her.

I move to the chair

"Sorry Gallimore don't sit down, I am required to be brief."

"Gallimore! Gallimore! How about Alwyn darling, sweetie, honey, I'm your fucking husband."

Bridget blinks but carries on.

"I have to be professional, this cannot be personal. You heard about the merger last week, well we have to restructure. Unfortunately we are discontinuing your position."

"The CEO said that no body's job would be threatened."

"That applied to staff, you're senior management."

"So who are you replacing me with?"

"That's commercially sensitive as you are no longer working for us. I cannot divulge privileged information."

"John here will escort you from the building. You will have the standard severance package. We will deliver to you home address the documents and any personal effects from your office. Please hand John your satchel; I take it your laptop is in there and your security card."

"Hey what a coincidence my home address is the same as yours."

"I think you had better leave."

The goon starts to approach me.

"I turn as I left I firing off a parting shot."

"What do I tell Lily; is she being restructured as well. Oh I forgot you've already sacked her; she's been on gardening leave for what, 4 months. Do you ever even think of her now?"

The goon pushes me

I glare at Heather as he continues to push me and I motion across my throat as I pass.

At least I have my car. I get into the Tesla. The goon waves a card at the barrier arm, it lifts and I am gone. I am some way down the street and the phone rings; I answer via the hands free. It is the goon. They have forgotten the company I Phone. They want me to return. I say no. I am not cooperating; they can send someone out and collect it from my letter box.

Before reaching home I pull into a supermarket carpark. I take my personal phone out of the glove box and linked the two phones. I download all my contacts and a year's worth of E-mails. I then go into the supermarket and buy a bottle of wine. I don't drink a lot of alcohol but this day I would need it.

When I get home the goon is waiting for me already. I hand him the phone and without a word he drives off.

Clicking the opener, the slide-over door of my garage slides up, I drive in. I Make my way to the kitchen; open my bottle of pinot noir; grab a glass from the kitchen cabinet and pour a healthy dollop. I pick up a pad from under the bench and grab a pen from the collection jammed into an old beer stein.

I start to make a list.

Like I said I make lists; I plan; I solve problems.

I am on a mission and there is going to be collateral damage.

**********

Monday 6th May 11 a.m.

How do I feel; I am on an adrenalin high, I am task focused, I do not feel. My mind is in the zone and I can now see very clearly what I must do.

First my priorities:

First on my list is Lily's welfare.

The next, believe it or not is Bridget.

Then there is the wider family.

Then, there is mine which leads me to the responsibilities of my career.

Next my list of tasks:

  1. Make sure Lily is looked after.

  2. Contact lawyer for my employment and my marriage.

  3. Maintain communications with KLCON.

  4. Liaise with the others in the design team.

  5. Secure an income source.

  6. Save our family.

I retire to our sitting room. I need to think about what has just happened. The curious event of Bridget sacking me has taken the issue away from our marriage to one of personal disaster response. I have a problem with multiple heads. I need to find the root cause and solve it.

It seems to me that Anthony Schaefer is central to this. Was he the instigator? May be; May be not. Where does Bridget fit in? I have a feeling she has been manipulated. The sacking was so ham-fisted. Whose idea was that? It would have to be dumb on so many levels. You would have to be ignorant of New Zealand employment law to think you could pull that one off. It was then obvious that someone wanted me out the way pronto. Maybe that's what they wanted. May be they knew that it would not fly and they just wanted me out of the way for a couple of weeks to do whatever they were trying to achieve.

The only project that would apply at the moment was the alliance with KLCON and the work in the Philippines. If so, they have miscalculated. It isn't tied up. Bridget knew about my background with KLCON and that the Alliance was building, but would not know the detail.

Then I remember Julian Saks. That puts the Australian Melbourne office, Schaefer and Bridget all in the same place. Saks assumed the Alliance was in place. Our CEO should have known it wasn't so I presume that in the go round of the so called merger, they had left him out of the loop. I can't speak for the Revecon CEO, I am not aware of his involvement. The KLCON guys only mentioned Schaefer.

I have to work fast but I need to contact my old team. They will be confused about this. They are a pretty loyal bunch. I would say this is another Schaefer miscalculation.

First I have to secure my own position. I ring Bridget's parents to check on Lily. Lily loves her grandparents. This had helped us as Bridget had been less and less available for her. I unkindly wonder if Lily is forgetting she had a mother.

I speak to Alf first. He is absolutely shocked. He asks if he could break the news of my sacking himself to his wife Claudija. I tell him the whole sordid story. We didn't have any facts. He had picked up on the influence of the book group. He had spoken to Bridget before about their influence. He focused on our marriage rather than the business side of things.

"Are you going for a divorce?" He is straight up.

Emotionally I am not really engaged in the divorce. I see the whole thing as part of a problem solving exercise and the marriage is just a component of it.

"Well the separation process is a long one. I suppose I need to get it underway immediately. I need to go to a lawyer any way about the sacking. Throwing in separation proceedings would dredge up a lot of the murk attached to it so I do not have any choice but to proceed with that immediately. What happens in the finish...Well?"

"Well if I was you I would cut her off. No man could live with a woman after she had done that. I can't believe what she has done, it is beyond outrageous."

I can practically feel the heat over the phone. Alf is ranting.

"I tell you she is no longer our daughter. We will support you and Lily entirely in your divorce. I never in my life, knowing Bridget, would have thought that she would neglect her own child and now she does this!!"

He is shouting. I can hear Claudija in the background.

"What's going on? Why are you shouting about Bridget like that?"

I hurriedly brought the phone call to an end.

"Listen I have to go. I have lots to do. I have dinner with my parents tonight but I will drop around and help you with Lily before I go."

I decide I will break the news to my parents when I arrive around for dinner. Next I call my Lawyer, Alex. I had known him from school days and he was close friends with both Bridget and myself.

I tell him the whole saga. "I am just so shocked!" He kept repeating. Then he said, "Something very big is happening here. We can get you an employment specialist and one for the marriage, but I tell you what, I suggest we get in some top investigators quickly. How are you financially?"

I reply, "I will mortgage the house if necessary."

"Well it shouldn't come to that; I think we will get compensation one way or another. This crowd I am talking about undertakes investigations for a number of organizations both government and private. They have the capacity to cover a lot of ground. I hope you are brave."

I can practically hear him salivating over the phone. It is obviously the kind of case Alex thrives on.

We chat some more about procedural issues. He asks me to e-mail him my contract which I do and he e-mails me some forms to fill out. We also make an appointment for the following morning.

On Alex's advice I ring the bank to secure our joint bank accounts. I will visit tomorrow to open up another account under my name.

********

Monday 6th May 2:00 p.m.

I check the time and ring Zikri at KLCON in Kuala Lumpur. He and I go back a long way. He actually studied engineering in my year at the Uni. I tell him that I have been sacked with no reason. I have already been to a lawyer; I believe someone wants me out of their way and was sure that it had to do with the Alliance.

Zikri said that he had already been approached by Julian Saks. They had told him that it was on hold but stated that at this stage they could not divulge any information.

"Your Mister Saks is a very unhappy man."

"Did Mr Saks mention me?"

"Not at all but at the end of the call I did ask him to give you my respects."

"I bet he choked on that."

I finish the call promising that I will check in each day at about the same time.

I have just clicked off the call when another call comes through. It is Diane who has been my 2IC in my team and someone I can implicitly trust. Diane is a brilliant seismic engineer and with her husband has been very close friends with Bridget and myself. Diane knows my trials with the book group and has been a bit of an agony aunt for me over it. She understands feminist politics and quite frankly thinks she is above all that. Diane is just very focused on her career.

"Hey Alwyn dude!" Diane begins in her typical idiosyncratic way.

"What's goin' down with you dude." I reply. Just hearing her voice cheers me up so I reply with our usual banter.

Diane moves on, "Alwyn, in all seriousness, what is going on. What have you done?'"

"Nothing as far as I know. This is a bolt out of the blue. I think someone wants me out of the way."

"The KLCON Alliance?"

"Must be, it's a biggy, somebody must want it bad."

"It's not somebody trying to sink it?"

"Could be, but I think somebody is trying to take it over. Saks has tried to contact KLCON. I know that Schaefer has had some dealings with them in the past and they will not work with him for some reason."

"Ah, the plot thickens," remarks Diane. "And what about Bridget? Who would believe it? How could she do that to you?"

"I think Schaefer got to her somehow."

"I remember you thinking she may have had a crush on him."

"Yeah, I regret not taking any action sooner."

"That's a hard one. How would you approach it? If it was serious she would just take his side."

"I think I said one or two things that did just that."

"I feel a bit guilty myself. I was going to get her to one side and talk to her about it."

"Don't worry. I think everyone is going to feel that way."

"What about the book group. Is there some connection there?"

"Well they certainly encouraged her getting this job. In fact someone in the group may have been an intermediary. I don't know; may be they just hunted her down knowing she was my wife. "

"That seems logical. Are you going to divorce her?"

"I don't know. I don't feel angry with her at the moment, I am not anything really, just resolved to take action and solve a nest of problems. Our marriage and this business are inextricably linked. In the finish, whatever I do with our marriage has to do with her mind and whether she was coerced into it."

"There's a point. Have you heard where she has been?"

"Not directly but I think about it. It is strange that she went from a card carrying radical feminist to a love struck cheater." I must admit that emotion is catching me at the moment.

"That's a bit harsh. She was not that wedded to the book group ideas. At least that's what she told me."

"She was definitely influenced by them."

"Ok. I guess we should put that to one side for later. The first thing is you're our team boss."

"I don't have a team."

"Oh yes you do. Can you come to a breakfast meeting tomorrow morning? We need to strategize. The team is considering resigning on mass."

"Shit, my god! GCON would have no one with the expertise for the alliance."

"Heh, heh heh." The slow laugh is forced but indicates Diane was feeling sly.

"Right! I am on for that. We can have some options."

"Like what?"

"Maybe we could be the Alliance or link up with a local rival group."

"You have someone in mind?"

"There are a couple of options."

"The other possibility is joining KLCON altogether. We could eventually become their New Zealand subsidiary."

The irony of this idea was that KLCON were originally part of GCON now GCON would become part of KLCON.

"That idea seems a goer."

"Right! tomorrow morning early then; the River Cafe opens early and does the best breakfast menu ever. 6 a.m. too early for you?"

"I'm on Diane. Loaded, lock stock and barrel. I would be there if it was 4 a.m."

"To arms, my man, to arms!"

"My adrenalin was pumping now to the point of feeling a little manic. It was going to be a real roller coaster ride for the next few days.

********

Monday 6th May 5 p.m.

I arrive at Alf and Claudija's.