Open It Up?

Story Info
Pondering an open marriage.
6.5k words
4.21
43.3k
78
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DocWords
DocWords
3,316 Followers

Chapter 01 - Open It Up?

It was Sunday evening, Mark and Sandy Arnolds were sitting in their living room reading. Mark could tell from Sandy's fidgety behavior that something was amiss. After twenty-six years of marriage he knew her pretty well.

Looking over the top of his book, he asked, "What's bothering you, sweetheart?"

Sandy marked her page and closed her book. "Are you happy, Mark?"

"Happy with what? Money, work, weather, the kids, us, what?"

"Us, our marriage."

"Baby, I'm married to the woman of my dreams and love her more today than I ever have. For almost twenty-seven years I wake up for this woman, spend every day living just for her, sleep at night to dream of her. I wouldn't change that for all the tea in China." Sandy smiled, reassuring Mark that he had answered well.

"How about our physical relationship?"

"You mean our sex life?"

"Well, yes. Are you satisfied, Mark?"

"Completely? Aren't you?"

"Yes, of course, but do you remember the excitement of our early days, the romance?"

"Sure I remember that. Do you want me to romance you more or better? Am I disappointing you?"

"No, you're a wonderful husband and lover." She sat quietly for a few minutes.

"Sandy, what is it?" Mark moved next to her on the couch.

"Have you ever thought about us in a different type of marriage?"

"Sexually different?"

"Well, yes."

"You mean like an open marriage or swapping or cuckolding?"

"Certainly not cuckolding. Not swapping, I wouldn't want to see you with someone else."

"You want an open marriage, Sandy?"

"Have you ever thought about it?"

"Never, but I take you have? Have you had an affair?"

"Oh God, no. I'd never do that."

"Then fill me in. Talk to me."

Sandy shifted in her seat to better face Mark. "You know Marla and Joan where I work, right?"

"Yes. The cuckoo and the tramp."

Sandy rolled her eyes. "I'll admit Marla's a bit off but Joan isn't a tramp."

"I must be thinking of a different Joan. I'm thinking of the brunette in the way too short skirts, low cut tops, married three times that each ended because of her cheating, dates a different guy every week. Wrong Joan?"

"Mark, that's just Joan."

"To me, that's a tramp. Would you approve of our daughter being like that?"

"Of course not, but Joan isn't our daughter."

"So you condone her behavior?"

"No, I just don't judge her. She's a good person."

"So what about Marla and Joan?"

"We talk a lot at lunch and Joan was telling us about her first marriage. They had an open relationship and she said her marriage was better for it"

"You told me her husband divorced her because she was having an affair."

"That's true. That's what she said."

"How does someone have an affair in an open relationship? Isn't sleeping with other people what the 'open' is all about?"

"She met her second husband while she was still married to her first."

"That still doesn't answer my question."

"She tried to move him into their house."

"That might explain it but since it ended her first marriage how did it make her first marriage better?"

"It made their sex life better."

"Before the divorce, I assume? Do you really believe that boloney?"

"Well, Marla talked to her husband about trying an open marriage and she said they're both better for it."

"How long have they had the open marriage?"

"About two months."

"You're really considering this, Sandy?"

"I've wondered about it. What are your thoughts?"

"You already know my thoughts on the subject of extramarital sex."

"But in an open marriage it wouldn't be cheating. Both parties are doing it."

"Do you already have someone in mind?"

"Oh Mark, of course not."

"Have you crossed the twelve year old line?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Picture a twelve year old, either boy or girl. Besides with me, have you done anything, or allowed anything, during our marriage that would be inappropriate with that twelve year old?"

"I already told you, I've never cheated on you."

"I'm not just talking about having sex, Sandy."

"Then what are you talking about?"

"Anything that would be inappropriate with a twelve year old. Flirting, kissing, holding, touching. Even some topics of discussion. Not just sex."

Sandy thought for a moment. "No, I've never crossed that line."

"How about when you were dancing with Tom at the Christmas party last year and he put his hand on your ass?"

"You came onto the dance floor and told him to move it."

"Yes, I did, but you crossed the line."

"He put his hand there, I didn't."

"And I told him to move it. Why didn't you tell him? You crossed the line."

Sandy was deep in thought. "You're right. My lack of response was crossing that line. Have you ever crossed it?"

"Never."

"Will you think about the open marriage idea for a couple of days and let's talk about it again?"

"I don't have to think about it. We promised to forsake all others when we married. I've done that and will continue to do so as long as we are married. Let me make you a deal."

"What's that?"

"During our marriage I've done everything I can to insure your happiness, correct?"

"Yes, you're as close to a perfect husband as you can get."

"We leave our marriage it is for now. Neither of us breaks the twelve year old rule. Think on the open marriage idea. Ninety days from now is June 15th. You tell me on or before that date if you want to open our marriage. If you do we will make it happen. I want you to be happy."

"I thought you were against the idea."

"I'm completely against it. Our marriage would be destroyed but I want you to be happy. Agreed?"

"Before June 15th?"

"On or before the end of the day June 15th."

"Agreed. Will you think about it too?"

"I already know my answer, but yes, I'll think on it."

With that they kissed then went to bed and made love.

Chapter 2 - First Steps

On Monday morning Mark made an appointment with a divorce lawyer for that afternoon. He arrived at her office right on time.

"Mr. Arthurs, I'm Debi Neal. Please have a seat." Mark sat in front of the desk and Ms. Neal sat behind it.

"Mark, please."

"Okay, Mark. I want you to know up front that I do not represent cheaters. Are you, or have you been, cheating on your spouse?"

"Never."

"So you want a divorce?"

"No, I don't want a divorce."

"Mark, I'm a divorce attorney. Why are you here?"

"I want to file for a divorce."

"But you just said you don't want a divorce."

"That's correct but I still want to file."

"Please explain yourself." Mark told her of his marriage and the discussion the previous evening. He told her of the June 15th date and that he would like the petition for divorce filed today, Mark would serve his wife tomorrow and the divorce would be final on June 17th. She explained that Sandy would get half of everything they have since this was a no fault state. Mark was fine with that and she agreed to take the case. He paid her full fee and returned to his office for the day.

That evening at home Sandy seemed upset. Mark didn't mention the attorney that day and other than Sandy being out of sorts the evening went as usual.

They were in the living room just before bedtime. "Sandy, you seem troubled."

"Something at work today shook me a bit."

"What was that?"

"Marla was served divorce papers."

"I thought that their newly open marriage was working for them."

"Marla didn't talk about an open marriage. She had an affair."

"But I thought you said..."

"That's what she told us but she never asked him about an open marriage. She just took it upon herself to screw around."

"I can see how that might be a problem."

"Joan says he's bluffing and that he won't go through it."

"Her three husbands apparently did. Maybe she's not a tramp. Maybe she's a stupid tramp."

"Please Mark, name calling isn't like you."

"You're right, I'm sorry."

"Joan also said that Marla's mistake was not talking to her husband and agreeing on opening the marriage first."

"Sandy, I just don't understand. You know what kind of person Joan is. Why would you listen to anything she says?"

"She's my friend, Mark."

"Judas was Jesus friend too. Joan is one of those people that causes trouble."

"I think she just has a different view on things."

"I won't argue that."

"Are we still in agreement on June 15th, Mark?"

"Let me know by the end of the day on June 15th. Don't cross the twelve year old line."

"Agreed."

They went to bed and made love again that night.

Tuesday was uneventful for both during the day. They worked as usual, came home as usual, had dinner as usual, and cleaned the kitchen together as usual. After dinner they were sitting on the sofa together having a glass of wine when Mark handed Sandy a large envelope.

"What's this, Mark?"

"Open it." Sandy opened the envelope and looked at the top page.

She began crying. "You're divorcing me? Why?"

"I have no desire to divorce you. I love you. It will be final on June 17th. Two days after our agreed date. If you choose to open our marriage you'll be free to do so on June 17th. If you choose to leave our marriage as is we simply drop the divorce filing. You have until the end of the day on June 15th to decide."

"Mark, this is all wrong. I don't want a divorce and neither do you."

"I don't want an open marriage. I couldn't live with that. If you do this is the only way I can give you that. Nothing changes between us for now. You have until June 15th to decide."

"You won't go through with the divorce will you?"

"Sandy, I love you more than life itself. I don't want a divorce. I want to grow old together. You'll be the one who decides if the divorce goes through. Our relationship remains the same until then."

"Mark, this is a threat, an ultimatum."

"Not at all. It's simply making way for you to have your freedom to see other people should that be your choice."

"It's still an ultimatum."

"If that's how you choose to look at it. I don't see it that way."

When Sandy went to work the next day Joan reassured her that Mark wouldn't go through with it. He was just trying to control her. Joan told her to just blow it off and he would drop it. Not having a better idea at the time, she decided she would do just that.

A few weeks later the kids and their families came to Mark and Sandy's for Easter dinner. Their son James and daughter Julie, their spouses and children. After dinner Sandy and Julie had gone into the master bedroom to look for something. Julie saw the petition for divorce on her mother's dresser.

"Mom, what the hell is this?"

"Your father's ultimatum."

"What ultimatum?"

"We were talking about opening our marriage a couple of weeks ago and he presented me with this two days later."

"Mom, I can't believe dad wants an open marriage."

"He doesn't. He's dead set against it."

"You want an open marriage?"

"We just talked about it."

"Mother, this pisses me off. I'm talking to dad."

Julie rushed into the living room carrying the petition with her mother close behind. As she passed her brother she motioned for him to follow. They found Mark sitting at the dining room table.

"Mother, James, join us at the table. We all need to talk." They all sat around the table. Julie slammed the divorce petition on the table in front of Mark. "Father, what the hell is this?"

"It's a petition for divorce." James picked it up and looked it over.

"I can see that. Why?"

"Did you talk to your mother?"

"What's this all about, Mom?" James asked.

"It's an ultimatum from your father." Everyone looked at Mark.

"That's not true. First of all, this is between your mother and I but if you're going to push it she will have to give you the background then I'll explain the petition. Sandy, you have the floor." Everyone now looked at Sandy.

"Mom, are you cheating on Dad?" James inquired.

"Oh, for heaven's sake. Mark see what you've caused."

"Sandy, I think the kids deserve to hear the whole story."

"I agree," Julie replied. They all looked at Sandy again.

"A couple of weeks ago your dad and I were talking and I asked what he thought about changing our relationship to an open one."

James asked, "Where did that come from?"

"I work with two women, Marla and Joan. You've both met them."

"Year the airhead and the tramp," Julie huffed. Mark started laughing but didn't say a word.

"Anyway Joan's first marriage was an open relationship and Joan said it made their marriage stronger."

"Point of order here, please. That was before he divorced her for adultery," Mark interjected.

"How the hell does open marriage and adultery even correlate? That makes no sense," James asked.

"She tried to move her boyfriend into the household." James and Julie looked at each other and shook their heads.

"Mother, why are you even talking to that whore?"

"She's not a whore. That's a business person with money exchanging hands."

"My apologies, mother. I misspoke. Why are you even talking to that tramp?"

"Julie, she's a good person. She's my friend."

"Is Joan in an open relationship now?" Julie asked.

"She's single."

"Never remarried?"

"She's remarried twice since then."

James looked puzzled, "Three marriages and single now. That adds up to three divorces. What were the other divorces for?"

"She had affairs."

"Julie's right. She's a tramp," James grunted. Mark laughed again.

"Don't forget about Marla," Mark smiled.

"Marla's getting a divorce too."

"Cheating?" Julie asked.

"Yes, she told us she and her husband had agreed on an open relationship like Joan had talked about. She forgot to mention it to her husband."

"Mother, you aren't stupid. Step back and look at the people giving you this guidance," Julie told her.

"I didn't ask you father if we could have an open relationship. We just talked about it."

"And dad's against it. I know my dad," Julie said.

"So what's with the divorce?" James asked.

"He told me he was completely against the idea but her wanted me to be happy. We agreed to think it over and I would tell him by midnight on June 15th if that was what I wanted."

"Dad, your turn. Where did the divorce come from?" Julie asked. Now all eyes were again on Mark.

"I've spent my life trying to make your mother happy. I have no desire to get a divorce. I love her completely. I'm against changing the vows we made when we were married. Neither of us has ever broken those vows. On or before midnight June fifteenth she is tell me if she wants to respect those vows or if she wants to change them. I will follow her wishes. If, by that time she chooses to continue our vows I will drop the divorce. If she wants to change the rules she will be single and a free agent on June 17th. It's her choice completely."

"Is that what you understand, mom?" James asked.

"Yes, that's our agreement."

Julie looked at her mother, "All you have to do to stop the divorce is tell dad you don't want to change the rules knowing that if you do want to change the rules you'll lose your husband and throw twenty-seven years of marriage into the toilet."

"That's his ultimatum, Julie."

"And you haven't told him yet?"

"He gave me until midnight on June 15th."

Julie's face turned beefy red. She stood and picked up a glass of water from the table. She took three deep breaths then turned to her mother and threw the water in her face.

"Mother, you're a fucking idiot. Don't call me or expect to see me until you get your head out of your ass. Larry, get the kids we're going home." Julie stormed out the front door.

"Mom, I agree with what Julie said. We're going home too." He stood, gathered his family and they left.

Still dripping and in shock from what Julie had said and done, Sandy glared at Mark. "See what you've done?"

"Sandy, I didn't do this. All I did was put the decision in your hands. I'm not angry with you. I love you. I want to remain your husband. You have until midnight June 15th to make your decision."

"You're bluffing."

"No, Sandy, I'm not."

Sandy stormed out of the room.

Chapter 03 - Marking Time

The following day at work, Sandy, Marla and Joan were having lunch.

"Is he still holding the divorce over your head?" Joan asked.

"He's got the kids made at me. They won't even talk to me. I don't understand how this loving man I've been married to could turn into such a jerk all of a sudden."

Joan sneered, "They're all jerks. Fuck 'em and dump 'em."

"Sandy?"

"What Marla?"

"I may not be the smartest person in the world but I've known you and Mark long enough to know he really loves you. Why don't you just tell him that you want your marriage to stay like it is?"

Joan shook her head, "Oh, Marla, you dip shit. It isn't about that. He gave her an ultimatum. Sandy, I think it's time you stood up to him."

"How?"

"Cut him off."

"You mean sex?"

"Exactly. It'll call his bluff. You hold all the cards. You can't lose."

"I don't know about that. That would just hurt him."

"Hurt him where it counts. Cut him off and tell him that when he calls off the divorce you'll spread your legs again. Call his bluff."

"You really think that'll work?"

"Worked multiple times for me," Joan smiled. Marla sat shaking her head.

That night at home when Sandy and Mark were in the living room Sandy spoke.

"Mark, I've been thinking." Mark closed his book and put it on his lap.

"Yes?"

"While you're still holding this divorce over my head we won't be having sex."

"Is that your final word on the matter?" Not from the very start of their recent issue had Mark ever raised his voice or gotten angry. He didn't get upset now either.

"It is."

"Joan's idea?"

Sandy looked away, "She mentioned it."

"Sandy, Joan isn't your friend. She's trying to destroy our marriage. Listen to your head and your heart. Please don't listen to Joan."

"Will you cancel the divorce?"

"If you tell me you want our marriage to continue on a monogamous basis, yes. You're the one that has to make that decision."

"Then you can sleep in the guest room."

"No Sandy, I'll sleep in our bed. If you wish, the guest room is available."

"You're being an asshole, Mark." Sandy stormed upstairs, got ready for bed, she went to the guest room and locked the door."

Mark got ready for bed then as he sat on the side of the bed tears began to flow. He walked to the guest room door. "Good night, Sandy. I love you." There was no reply.

The remainder of the week and weekend found them sleeping in separate rooms. Mark told her good night and that he loved her from outside the room every night. During the daytime they were their normal loving selves. Sandy tried to call both Julie and James but her calls always went to voicemail. She always left messages but her calls weren't returned.

The following Monday, Joan suggested that Sandy up the ante. She should start dressing in a more provocative manner when she went to work. The idea was to make Mark think that maybe she was trying to impress someone else. Make him jealous, she said. That'll get his attention. It did. On Thursday morning Mark mentioned it.

"You've changed the way you dress for work. Any particular reason?"

"No. I just want to feel sexier. That's all."

"Okay, just remember the twelve year-old rule."

"Now you're accusing me of cheating?"

"No, I'm not. I'm simply reminding you. Since you've quit making love to me, you might be tempted to break the rule."

"You can make love to me right after you drop that damn divorce."

"The divorce is in your hands, Sandy. From where I see things you're pulling farther away from me every day. It saddens me."

"Enough to drop the divorce?"

"Like I said, the divorce is in your hands."

"You made your bed, Mark."

DocWords
DocWords
3,316 Followers
12