Open It Up?

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The week continued and other than sleeping arrangements no one would ever know they were having problems.

Friday evening Julie called Mark.

"Hi Dad, we're having a cook out tomorrow. James and his family will be there. We'd love to have you."

"Let me check with your mom."

"Dad, did mom decide yet?"

"No, honey."

"Then mother isn't invited."

"Sandy, she's your mother. Don't do this."

"I know she is and I love her but what she's doing is disrespecting the whole family. She isn't invited. Will you please come?"

"What time?"

"Noonish."

"I'll be there." Mark hung up the phone and walked to Sandy.

"I'm going to be out tomorrow afternoon."

"What's up?"

"Sandy's having a cookout."

"You said I'm a moment ago, right? I'm not invited?"

"Sandy asked if you'd given me your decision yet. I told her the truth. She said you're not invited."

"Mark, you've turned our own children against me. How could you?"

"Sandy, you still don't understand. Reverse our rolls over the last six weeks. Then tell me I've done something wrong. What I've done is try to love you. It's you that's pushing us apart. We're going to lose each other merely because you won't make a decision not to. My hands are tied. I love you and the last thing in the world I would ever want is to lose you." Mark walked away with tears in his eyes.

Sandy cried but by now had become convinced this was a contest of wills between them. Mark spent most of the day with Sandy and James. He tried several times to get them to normalize their relationship with their mother. Both adamantly refused. Mark could see that Sandy had been crying when he got home.

"Sandy, I have an idea."

"Let me guess. You want to move up the divorce," she snarled.

"Please, Sandy. Let's be civil."

"I'm sorry. What's your idea?"

"Let's take off for a week. Just the two of us."

"Finally getting horny?"

"It isn't about horny. I'm trying to save our marriage."

"Then drop the divorce."

"Tell me you want to keep our original vows."

"You're being a controlling asshole, Mark."

"So you won't go away with me for a while?"

"If you'll call off the divorce."

"Would you at least go with me to see a marriage counselor?"

"Would you call off the divorce?"

"You have to make that decision."

"Fine, then call it off."

"Are we going to continue in a monogamous relationship?"

"I have until midnight on June 15th."

"I'm going to start seeing a marriage counsellor this week."

"Suit yourself."

Mark did see a counsellor who recommended they both come in. When he asked, Sandy refused. Instead she sought Joan's guidance. Joan's advice was that she and Sandy go out for drinks after work on Friday. Up the ante again.

The following Thursday during dinner Sandy mentioned the outing.

"Mark, Joan and I are going out for drinks after work tomorrow."

"I see."

"We're just having a few drinks."

"Joan is trying to destroy our marriage. A few drinks is only part of her plan."

"I'm a big girl, Mark. I can take care of myself."

"Just remember the twelve year old rule."

"And what if I broke the rule?"

"Are you thinking about breaking it?"

"No, but what if I did?"

"You would be a free agent from that moment on and the divorce would go through."

"Another ultimatum?"

"Sandy, we've been married for almost twenty-seven years. We've always agreed to the same rules. I can't live with changing them. I love you. Can't you understand that? I don't want a divorce. I didn't want any of this."

"Then call of the divorce."

"You have to do that. Just make your decision."

"Don't wait up for me tomorrow."

Sandy went to the guest room and stayed for the remainder of the evening. Mark left for work before she got up the next day. Friday evening, just a few minutes after eight, Mark was reading in the living room when Sandy arrived. She walked over and plopped on the couch, obviously troubled.

"Problem, babe?"

"Joan is such a bitch." Mark didn't say anything. He closed his book and placed it on the table beside his chair.

"We got to the bar about 6:30 after a light dinner. We each got a drink and were sitting at a table talking. Two guys came in, walked right up to the table and sat down. They didn't ask or anything, they just sat down."

"That's a bold move."

"Joan had invited them. That bitch was trying to fix me up. I immediately walked out." Mark didn't speak. "Why would she do that? She knows we're married, Mark."

Mark didn't answer her question.

"Well aren't you going to say 'I told you so'?"

"No, Sandy. I'm not."

"Well, say something!" she shouted.

"I love you with all my heart, Sandy. I want to stay married to you."

Sandy stood quickly and went to the guest room to sleep.

The following Monday when Sandy went to work she told Joan off in no uncertain terms. She also refused to have lunch with her or socialize at all. She could now see what Joan really was. Even though finally seeing through Joan she still couldn't see what her own behavior had done to the marriage. Mark hadn't been himself for weeks. He was more quiet and withdrawn. She had watched the joy fading from him a little more every day. It was his own fault, that damned ultimatum. She tried repeatedly to talk with Julie and James but they still refused her calls. She hadn't seen any of them in almost two months. She looked at her calendar, June 15th was just three weeks away. She wished she had someone to talk to.

That evening in the living room, "Mark, you know that I love you don't you?"

"You really want me to answer that?"

"Yes, I do." Sandy seemed shocked by his answer.

"I know that you did. I have no doubt of that. With the way you've withdrawn from me over these last two months, I question that now."

"Mark, all I've done is refuse to bow to your ultimatum."

"Sandy, I asked you to tell me on or before June 15th if you want to continue our relationship as it has been, monogamous, or if you want to change it to an open one. You've had over sixty days and still haven't told me. That's fine, you still have time. You've moved from our marriage bed and cut me off from our physical relationship. You've started dressing like Joan at work. I assume that was to make me jealous. You even went out with Joan and discovered that what I was saying about her was true. You handled it well, I might add. Your lack of response to my question about monogamy has alienated both of our children. You refused to go away with me for a week to try and mend our relationship. You refused marriage counseling, even being asked multiple times. What should I think, Sandy? Your actions have outweighed your words."

"Besides filing for a divorce, what have you done, Mark?"

"All this has weighed heavily on me. I've remained caring and loving. I never shouted. I defended you to our children and tried to mend that damaged fence. I started seeing a marriage counselor. I've been patient. Mostly I've missed my loving wife."

"You make me sound like the bad guy here."

"I'm sorry. I don't see you as a bad guy. I'm just telling you what I've seen and experienced."

"Well, I do love you. That hasn't changed."

"Your words don't match your behavior, Sandy."

"Mark, you've turned this into a pissing contest."

"No I haven't. The first discussion we had on open marriage ended in an agreement from both of us that we would continue to follow the twelve year old rule and that you would tell me before midnight June 15 if you wanted to keep our vows or change them. Is this not correct?"

"Yes, but you agreed to think about the open marriage idea too."

"I have. I don't want an open marriage. I couldn't remain in that type of marriage. If that's what you want, I won't stand in your way. I cannot and will not be a cuckold. I love you more than life itself. I don't want to lose you."

"But you've threatened me with divorce."

"It isn't a threat, Sandy. If you choose open relationship, it's what I have to do. I'm not a big enough man to share you. If you choose me, I make a single phone call and the divorce petition is gone."

"I still see it as an ultimatum."

"I'm sorry that's how you see it. That wasn't my intent. If you choose open marriage, you'll have your freedom in two days. If you choose me, the divorce is history. It seems to me that making that choice is a real problem for you. That isn't helping me to believe you still love me either."

"I have three weeks. Can I come back to our bed now?"

"I wasn't the one that took you out of it. I'd love for you to choose to come back to bed."

"Then come with me. We're going to make up for some lost lovin'."

They went to their bedroom and made love like they hadn't done in many years. All seemed well but the question still hadn't been answered.

When Sandy went to work on Tuesday she dressed as she had before. No more cleavage and short skirts. They made love again that night. Wednesday was a repeat of Tuesday. On Thursday evening as they sat reading Sandy asked Mark to join her on the couch. He put his book away and sat beside her with his arm around her.

"Mark, my decision about staying monogamous wasn't hard at all. I knew what it would be the night we first talked about it. I want to be your wife forever. I want to make love to only you and I want you to make love to only me. I'll never break the twelve year old rule. I love you more than anything. Now will you please drop the divorce?"

"You're sure? I don't want to go through this again."

"I'm totally sure. We made promises to each other when we married. I want those promises to stay just like we made them."

"I'll call the lawyer first thing in the morning."

"Will you call Julie and James tonight please? And tell them that their foolish mother has come to her senses?" Mark called Julie first. Julie wanted to talk to her mom right then. Both Sandy and Julie cried during the call. The call to James went the same way.

"I'm glad you're back, Sandy. I've missed you."

"I am too, Mark. I didn't really go anywhere. I just had my head up my butt. I quit my job today too."

"I thought you liked your job."

"I did but just being around Joan pissed me off. Since I have tomorrow off, how about I book us a week somewhere for a second honeymoon? Can you take all next week off?"

"Actually, I can. Where do you want to go?"

"Somewhere we've never been that's romantic."

"I'll leave the choice up to you."

"I already knew that. Come and make love to me again."

They went upstairs and experienced the best love making of their entire marriage. Lying in bed, holding each other, Sandy spoke.

"Mark, would you really have divorced me?"

"No, Sandy. If I divorced you I would have had to give you up forever and never see you again. I couldn't imagine living without you. In a divorce you would have gotten half of everything we've worked together for. I would have hated myself for taking the other half away."

"What if I had picked open marriage?"

"I would have ended our marriage."

"But you just said you wouldn't have divorced me."

"That's right."

"You aren't making any sense, Mark."

"In the basement, there's a box under the workbench. Look at it tomorrow."

"Okay. Can I meet you for lunch tomorrow?"

"Sorry, I have a noon appointment with the marriage counsellor."

"Are you going to continue that?"

"For a while. This has really been a rough time for me."

"Okay, kiss me goodnight. You're taking me out to dinner tomorrow."

"I'd love that. Goodnight, sweetheart."

They kissed and fell asleep in each other's arms. Both glad that the trials of the last ten weeks were finally over.

Chapter 04 - Closure

By the time Sandy had gotten up Mark had already called the lawyer and had her withdraw the divorce petition.

When Sandy awoke she went to the kitchen and was enjoying a cup of coffee. She turned on her laptop and booked a full week at a honeymoon resort in the Poconos. They would leave Saturday and return the following Saturday. After booking everything she remembered the box Mark had mentioned the night before.

Sandy went to the basement and picked up the box, setting it on the work bench. When she opened it she began sobbing. Inside the box was a roll of duct tape, handcuffs, an envelope and a heavy rope that had been tied in a noose. She looked up at the ceiling and saw a heavy weight hook had been mounted into the ceiling joist. After composing herself a bit she opened the envelope and read the letter inside.

My darling Sandy,

You are the love of my life. After we talked that night and agreed to the ninety days I knew what I had to do. If you chose the open marriage, as with everything else you ever asked me for I would give it to you. The divorce was a ruse. An open marriage is not something that I could agree to. I love you far too much to share.

A divorce would have cost you half of everything we worked for. I would have had to move away so that I never saw you again. I would have had to give up Julie and James and our precious grandchildren. Losing you and them would have been too much to bear.

Always remember that I loved you with all my heart. You were my best friend, my wife and my lover.

With my solution, you will have the freedom you desire and all our possessions. In time, Julie and James would have made up with you. I doubt they will ever forgive me. I also have life insurance that should leave you fairly well off. You won't be rich but you won't have money problems either.

I lay no blame. I do this out of my love for you. I want you to be happy. May you find whatever you seek and live a long, happy, wonderful life.

Your loving husband

Mark

Sandy cried throughout the letter and then put the rope on the grill in the yard and burned it. She took the tape and than handcuffs and threw them out in the trash bin. The letter, she ran through the shredder in the den. Going back to the basement she stood on a chair and removed the hook from the joist and made a second trip to the trash bin. She even tore up the box and threw it in with it. All evidence had been destroyed.

Sandy took a shower and got ready for the day. She drove to marks office, arriving just before noon. Sandy told his secretary to cancel his plans for the next week. Mark had already done that. The secretary gave her the address of the counsellor that Mark was seeing and she drove there. She was met by the receptionist.

"May I help you?"

"I'm looking for Mark Arnolds."

"He's with the doctor. You can have a seat and wait if you like."

"Thank you." Sandy walked to the door that read office staff only and walked in with a big smile on her face. The doctor sitting behind the desk stood surprised. Mark was sitting on a love seat to her left and also stood. Sandy walked to him smiling. "Hi baby," she said then punched him hard in the face.

Mark's hand went up to his injured face. "Hi Sandy. What was that about?"

"You know what it was about." Sandy pushed him back into his seat, sat next to him and looked at the startled doctor. "Doctor, I'm Sandy. What do I need to do to save my marriage?" Sandy was grinning.

The doctor laughed and sat back down in her chair. "Mark, would you like an ice pack?"

"Probably a good idea. Sandy has a mean right hook."

The doctor left the room and returned quickly with an ice pack. Mark was already swollen and bruised around his left eye.

"Sandy, I'm glad you could join us. Mark was just telling me about your decision last night. Do you really want to keep your marriage intact?"

"More than anything. Mark is my life." Tears filled her eyes. "Mark, I'm sorry I hit you but you deserved it."

"It's fine. I hope you have it out of your system now."

"All gone now. All that's left is the love."

"Mark, Sandy, I'll be very honest. I don't think continuing today's session would accomplish anything. How about you both come in at this time next Friday?"

"Out of the question. We're honeymooning in the Poconos all next week. How about the following week?" Sandy asked.

"That's fine. Mark keep the ice on that shiner." The doctor stood. Mark and Sandy stood and faced each other and kissed for a long time before leaving.

Mark did develop quite a shiner and was asked many times over the next week what had happened. He always answered the same way.

"My wife said she loved me."

12