All Comments on 'Ornaments'

by ThatNewGuy

Sort by:
  • 85 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Moving

I don't like this 750 challenge. It's a silly idea. But this is a genuinely moving if sad piece of writing. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Well written

Thanks. 5 stars

My mum had dementia - its a fucked up disease.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 4 years ago
Lovely sad story

Flash fiction can concentrate the mind to get the message across, and this achieves that quite brilliantly. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Dementia with a loved one

My wife had dementia and later past away from it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Brilliant

Beautiful and so true. THANK YOU! You surely have suffered this in your life to be able to put it so distinctly. Bless you

A_BierceA_Bierceover 4 years ago

If only

it were fantasy. Brilliant, but so painful.

ShadowRosieShadowRosieover 4 years ago
Sees reality in this

We are dealing with the early stages of dementia and my 93 yr old Mom daily. She asks me how I am related to her daily and my name most days and calls me Mommy.We have "school" on current events (very similar to these ornaments) as we work in the kitchen or at sewing. Sorry if I get maudlin, folks. Thank you.

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyabout 4 years ago

Occasionally someone pulls out a story full of emotion that is wonderful to read, even though this one is sad.

Thanks for sharing.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireabout 4 years ago

What a sad but beautifully-presented tale, perfect for the 750-word project. Congrats on an excellent job.

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 4 years ago
Fucking

Unquestionable brilliance

GrimmerGrimmerabout 4 years ago

Very very difficult topic.

Especially for those of us who have born witness.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Perspective

Only someone who has known the deepest and truest love could have written this piece. Kudos!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Sad

Sad but unfortunately true. Good job on a difficult subject.

They don’t always die sometimes they just drift away and don’t come back.

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeabout 4 years ago
Well done.

Effective flash story.

Top ratings from me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
good read

my dad died of alzheimers. It's hell, and oh so sad. Good story about the loss and hopelessness you feel.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
It scares me.

I’ve been diagnosed with dementia/ Alzheimer’s. I’m in the early stages and most people don’t notice anything. My wife of 50 years has pledged her willingness to care for me until my last breath. I have said, that as soon as I get abusive or I can’t recognize her, then it’s time to put me in a rest home. The thought of how this illness will hurt her is heartbreaking to me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Touching

Even in a body with diminished memory the soul and love come through. And, in turn, is loved.

InfiniteCycleInfiniteCycleabout 4 years ago
Incredibly moving.

You have a real, solid grasp on writing.

I especially enjoy that you know how to use the correct form of 'to' as opposed to 'too', as you did in your story "First at Last".

I could not comment on that one immediately after reading, as you had created a tragedy with a dilemma that fuelled the action, but to me, a tragedy no less. I could not see a happy ending there, there will always be an element of separateness between them, even if she took her secret to her grave.

But this story spoke of nothing but love and honour. Another tragedy, and one I have experience of, seeing my father slip away like that.

Even though it's a tragedy, the actors were honourable, and with that, in the end their lives will signify nothing but love and grace.

Your talent is very apparent, and for me, used much better in this story, and in "Art of Deception".

I look forward to reading the one remaining offering.

Though I am just a lowly commentator, and my opinion is subjective at best, this is clearly a 5 star effort.

Thank you.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefabout 4 years ago
Sad but true

We went through this with my mother-in-law and much later I went through it with my wife. Luckily my wife's dementia didn't progress full blown, as in the story, before she passed away. Sometimes life sucks but there are still good parts that bring comfort. Thanks

widowedidiotwidowedidiotabout 4 years ago
Wow,

This is a very compelling story. Dementia runs in my family, since I´m widowed I told my kids that as soon as I didn´t recognize them I wanted to be put away. You should have heard the protest especially from my sonś in law. I don´t want any of my kids to give up their lives to care for me, And since I won´t know who you are, what difference will it make? I have two on my side now I only need to work on two more. But I really do believe that if you don´t know your kids, what difference does it makes where you are?

kmreaderkmreaderabout 4 years ago
😢

Even if fictional these stories are always so hard to read. As anyone who’s ever had to deal with a friend or loved one with dementia knows it is incredibly painful to watch the regression.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
AT THE BITTER END

Its difficult to leave loved ones alone. TK U MLJ LV NV

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooteralmost 4 years ago
I share your feelings

My father displayed signs and symptoms of dimentia to the point where he did not recognize his family. At some point the doctor connected his signs to the aggressive cancer treat he was on. We stopped that and we enjoyed more than one more of clear lucidity. Thank God for that year. He's been gone six years, I miss him every day but I cherish all his memories.

Thank you for this wonderful story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

Both my Mother and Father developed Alzheimer’s and I ended up having a stroke trying to deal with them. I have no siblings and my wife had parents who had life changing illnesses themselves. I am starting to struggle to remember words, dates and history. I’ve been tested several times as I’m so afraid that I will end up like my parents. Not afraid, more like terrified.

IntuitiveJIntuitiveJabout 3 years ago

What a wonderful heartfelt story. Well done. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
Hmm

Wow talk about a poignant 850 words. So sad that life often ends like this.

Danger09Danger09over 2 years ago

Beautiful story🤧🤧

SimepopSimepopover 2 years ago

So very poignant, there must b pollen in here, my eyes are watering.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

THANK YOU!! I I, like so many others, had to deal this this issue. You KNOW what you need to do, but it is just so hard. In my experience, my mother took to her care facility very well. It's a load off my mind to know she is being taken care of properly and has the care she needs.

sempergumby1963sempergumby1963over 2 years ago
2 Deaths...

that you go thru when this happens. The death of the person you have known up till then, & later, the body of that person finally gives up its life.

But on the plus side, I will make new friends every day, & I'll be able to hide my own Easter eggs!

Hey, it's only life & we all get thru it. Some fast, some slow but we all go.

clearcreekclearcreekover 2 years ago

It has been a few years since my dad died.

It was difficult decision to make even when I knew it was past time even with in home help.

I remember him asking "when can I go home". I could only think to reply with a "you are home". He looked around the room and said "it doesn't look like home to me!"

The_OutlanderThe_Outlanderover 2 years ago

Superb!

Short but one of the most powerful stories I have ever had the pleasure to read.

Thank you.

a_reader_from_germanya_reader_from_germanyover 2 years ago

Brilliant! And really hitting close to home, alas...

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Just discovered. Five stars. Bastard.

Captcha

OldGuy1946OldGuy1946over 2 years ago

Heartbreakingly beautiful! Thank you.

CaptFlintCaptFlintabout 2 years ago

Sad, heartbreaking, beautiful. Real. Great writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

So few words to convey such love. Kudos to you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Tears could not help but flow. Very well done 5

energystarenergystarabout 2 years ago

I look at your stories again and saw this one, so I read it. At the end I saw I gave you 5 stars in the past. You are scary good and I thank you for sharing.

JerseyCaptainJerseyCaptainabout 2 years ago

Sad and real. My father died from this and it brings back memories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago
Hmm

Short but very hard hitting. Thank you.

decathlondecathlonabout 2 years ago

Concise, accurate, and a personal snapshot.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Damn you!

It’s soo bitter sweet, so sad, so lovely, god, I‘m… damn

Five stars, don’t do this again.

Captcha

TechumsahTechumsahabout 2 years ago

Sad and beautiful all in one. Great writing.

King_MacAulayKing_MacAulayabout 2 years ago

Woah. Well, that is a beautiful but sad one. Good short story.

BlackJackSteeleBlackJackSteeleabout 2 years ago

Beautiful.

You are a very talented writer.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

This hits too close to home.

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimalmost 2 years ago

Sometimes, when you've finished a story, you just have to stare inwardly at the thoughts and memories that it has provoked. Happy, sad, exciting or dull, the thoughts are always stored away to be brought out when prompted. Sometimes, like now, they're deeply sad.

Thank you.

dgfergiedgfergieover 1 year ago

I always wonder how some families can abandon their parents to an old folks home. My wife got sick and lasted a year in our new usd home we bought together. There was no way I would abandon her. I would have to put her in bed the get her up and into her chair in the living room. Get her on the potty and clean her I never thought not to or even about putting her in a home. They gave her 6 months but she lasted over 8 and passed away in bed next to me. That's the promise you make with the marriage vows. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

my father-in-law. a wonderful man, cared for my MIL, a wonderful woman, cared for her until the end. sooo LOVING but so sad for him. sometimes she knew him sometimes not. Heart wrenching, sad but what a man does for his life long loving WIFE. he taught me how to be a man and take responsibility, even when feeling like you were carrying the world on you shoulders. my wife and still miss them even after almost a quarter century

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Tears!

Jim

elizalooelizalooover 1 year ago

Heartbreaking and lovely in so few words. 5*s. You are a truly gifted writer. Another reader with tears in her eyes.

kirei8kirei8over 1 year ago

What elizaloo said! I think you have experienced this horrible condition before in your life.

TonyspencerTonyspencerover 1 year ago

Lovely story, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

After more than a year here, I got used to skimming – a necessary habit in order to save precious time on excess unorganized words.

Here I had to read really slowly. Sometimes I paused to read the same sentence again. Sometimes on the third because it rang pleasantly. I whispered the words as I read because I needed to hear them.

Thank you for reminding me what real literature is – where every syllable has meaning and every word has its place.

Helen1899Helen1899over 1 year ago

A story enacted the world over, a proper story, sad but enlightening, 5* every day of the week

chytownchytownover 1 year ago

*****That was a wonderful read. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

so sad to see. a normal happy loving spouse disappears into blank nothingness. all the wonderful memories gone. a life time of experiences just GONE. have family members on both sides of this experience. so Grief ridden so sad. very well written sad but thanks anyway

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

My heart....

Too well done. 5*

someone close to me is in a memory care unit.

Just_GymJust_Gymabout 1 year ago

So sad, but such a fine story.

LastMissionLastMissionabout 1 year ago

My grandfather was an alzheimers patient. It crushed my soul to visit him in the alzheimers unit.

arrowglassarrowglassabout 1 year ago
So poignant...so sad...so many times too true!

A very heartwarming way to remember!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Dementia is absolutely tragic with no hope, just crushing despair for the afflicted's loved ones. Sadly I know from experience.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Very good, sad, but true story. It is terrible to see your parents, slowly succumb to Alzheimer’s .

5 stars.

dgfergiedgfergie11 months ago

Almost tears, I saw my mother once in an adult care home and couldn't take it. She had been so strong, I never remember her ever being sick. I didn't even cry when I'd heard she passed, it was a good thing and a better place went to. Great story.........

WisquejacWisquejac10 months ago

Nicely done. Thanks.

oldguy1oldguy18 months ago

Love the courage it took to write this

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Sad, but realistic look at Alzheimer’s . 5 stars..

SexecclecticSexecclectic8 months ago

A beautifully rendered heartbreaking vignette. I didn’t realize until I finished that it was part of the 750 challenge, and thought “what the hell.” But honestly it was just right, had it been longer the heartache would have just been drawn out. Another fine piece of writing.

nixroxnixrox8 months ago

5 stars - this could be me any day now - either me or my wife - after 56 years together.

I am not looking forward to that day, but if it is me - I won't remember anything.

patilliepatillie7 months ago

Damn brother, you are good! That was succinct but powerful, delivering a body blow to those of us familiar with memory loss loved ones. Wow!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Think of Glen Campbell “ I’m not gonna miss you when I’m gone”.

MarrttyMarrtty5 months ago

You jerk, now I cannot see my screen

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

There, but for the grace of God, go I. Thanks for posting. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

I am saddened to think of what level of autism someone must be suffering to give this story less than 5 stars…(fyi… I’m on the spectrum myself).

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

I wish I hadn’t read that./ I’m so glad I read that.

Now, I’ll remember my mom.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

I just came from reading "Full circle" because I was so impressed with that story. ThatNewGuy has been creating masterpieces for a number of years. I have a huge amount of testosterone running through my system, nothing like rhe cum sucking cuck subjects of such a high percentage of stories on this site. TNG used 750 words to gut me and reduce me to tears. I don't know if I have ever seen the work of such a masterful wordsmith. Tomorrow I take on another of his works.

laptopwriterlaptopwriterabout 1 month ago

My mother had Alzheimer's, I took care of her until the end. This really resonates with me. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Unfortunately it brings back very vivid memories of my girlfriend who passed away in early November from Early Stage Dementia. Sad time, but happy that it wasn’t prolonged with suffering

AnonymousAnonymous6 days ago

Poignant and real. My father passed19 years ago due to dementia. Rest in peace, Dad! Five stars for this one.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userThatNewGuy@ThatNewGuy
March 13, 2024 My first romance story, Full Circle, has been posted. One of the things I enjoy about Literotica is the chance to explore writing in a variety of genres. I had fun writing this story, and I hope you have fun reading it. Thank you for your support and encourag...