Orphan Ch. 09-12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gilroy nodded. "If I can't, I'm sure Mr. Jenkins could carry me, couldn't you, Jenkins?"

"Aye, sir, I could at that. Now, sir, if you'll give me your arm and let me see about getting you out of the carriage?"

A few minutes later Gilroy was comfortable in an armchair, feet up on a footstool, a glass of brandy at hand. Silas Le Tessier sat opposite. Jenkins stood behind the captain's chair, and Roxane was about to excuse herself, when there was a tap at the door.

"Yes?"

Molly came in, and dropped in brief curtsey. "Mrs Trevelyan said to tell you that Andrew has been sent to give the doctor your message. Mr Jenkins?"

"Aye?"

"If you'd come with me, I'll show you to your room. Miss Roxane? Your bath will be ready in five minutes."

"Jenkins?" said Gilroy. "Rest easy. If I need you I'll send for you. Until then, relax. I'm sure Molly can fix you up with a bite to eat?"

"Aye, that I can. If you'll come this way?" She led a somewhat more relaxed Jenkins away.

"If you'll excuse me?" said Roxane. "I must bathe and change." She grimaced, picking at her skirt. "I fear these are for disposal."

"Roxane?" said Gilroy. "As it's my blood spoiling them, I feel honour-bound to buy you replacements."

"I have others, Alex. I confess, I didn't take my best clothes to France."

Gilroy laughed. "A wise girl, your niece, Silas."

Le Tessier smiled. "Aye, she takes after her mother."

"Don't stand, either of you," said Roxane, "but excuse me, please." She was smiling at the laughter behind her as she left the room.

* * * * *

Chapter 10

In her own rooms, the little annex where she bathed was warm, a soft wisp of steam rising from the tub. She began to undress, pausing at a tap on the door.

"Yes? Who is it?"

"Molly, Miss Roxane. May I come in?"

"Of course."

The maid came in, smiling, frowning as she saw Roxane's blood-stained jacket. "Is that Captain Gilroy's blood?"

"Yes, I'm afraid it is."

"However did it get on your clothes, Miss Roxane?"

"When I was helping him to board the fishing boat we stole, and when I took the musket ball from his back." Molly's eyes were round with astonishment and Roxane fought a giggle.

"Goodness me! Whatever next?"

"Would you wash my hair for me, Molly?"

"Aye, Miss Roxane. You just finish undressing and get yourself into the tub. I have towels warming for you in the kitchen. I'll fetch them when we're nigh on done."

Molly busied herself setting out brush and cloth and soap at the bathside, and Roxane lowered herself into the warm water, and sighed.

"Feel better for that, Miss Roxane?"

"Yes, indeed, Molly. Hair first, please, and then my back, and then you can leave the rest to me while you fetch the towels. I'll not linger, even though I want to, as I want to be sure Captain Gilroy is well."

"He's nice, the captain. So's that bosun of his, Jenkins," said Molly. "Really polite, and ever so grateful for the bread and cheese and the mug of tea I got for him."

"Yes, they are nice, both of them."

"Right Miss Roxane. Sit up straight, and let me soap your hair."

Half an hour later Roxane knocked on the parlour door and entered at her uncle's 'come in'. Freshly bathed, her still-damp hair in a roll at the back of her head, and wearing a simple gown that nevertheless flattered her figure.

"Roxane, my dear, you look lovely," said Le Tessier.

"Indeed she does," said Gilroy in easy agreement, smiling as he caught her eye.

"Thank you. I feel so much cleaner after my bath."

"Please, Roxane, do be seated. Andrew tells me that doctor Angus promised to be here within the hour."

"That's good. Perhaps Alex might be able to rest after that."

Gilroy smiled. "Am I not resting now?"

"Not quite what I meant, as I think we both understand."

Any answer he might have made was interrupted by a knock at the door, and Mrs. Trevelyan came in.

"Doctor Angus, sir."

The doctor was tall, thin, angular, and friendly.

"Good day, Silas. You, I presume, must be Captain Gilroy. You, young lady, I do not know."

"Alistair, may I present my niece, Roxane Harrison."

"Your servant, Miss Harrison."

"Doctor Angus."

"You have been shot, Captain, I believe?"

"I have sir, by a musket, while making my escape from France."

"Well, then, I must examine the wound."

"My own surgeon believes it is healing well."

"That's as may be, Captain, but if you are to be under my care while staying with Mr. Le Tessier, I should satisfy myself, no?"

Gilroy gestured easy assent. "Indeed, Doctor Angus."

"Will here do, or should we go to your bedroom?"

"Here, please, where I have made myself comfortable. I need only remove my shirt."

"Perhaps Miss Harrison may care to leave us for the moment?"

"It was Miss Harrison who removed the ball, Doctor. I have no objection to her staying, if she so wishes. She has also volunteered to change my bandages when required."

Angus gave Roxane a penetrating look. He nodded. "You removed the ball?"

"I did."

"Using what?"

"The captain's dirk, and this," she said, extending her left little finger.

A fleeting smile twitched the doctor's face. He turned back to Gilroy. "Very well, Captain. If you would care to remove your shirt? I see that it is not tucked into your breeches, which makes things a little easier. Miss Harrison? In my bag, there, you will find scissors. Would you pass them, please?"

She quickly found the scissors and passed them to the doctor, who carefully snipped through the bandages that Collins had applied, to reveal Gilroy's wound. Like Collins, he bent close and sniffed it.

"Clean, at least." He straightened. "Do you keep bandages in the house, Silas?"

"We do."

"Excellent. Miss Harrison, as I understand that you will be changing Captain Gilroy's bandages, you will know where these bandages are kept?"

Roxane smiled. "Not yet, Doctor Angus. But I will in a moment or two. If you'll excuse me?" She went out, laughing inwardly. Damn the man, but he was right.

She found Mrs. Trevelyan in the kitchen. She arched her brows in query as Roxane went in.

"Yes, Miss Roxane?"

"Uncle Silas says we keep bandages in the house, Mrs. Trevelyan. May I be shown where? It seems I am to be responsible for changing the captain's."

"Of course, Miss Roxane. Over there, in the bottom left-hand drawer of the dresser. There, that's right. And those squares of clean linen, for dressings."

"I'll take two of each, please."

"Of course. Help yourself."

Gilroy was sitting with his shirt around his shoulders when Roxane returned. All three men were sipping glasses of Silas's claret. A fourth glass stood on a tray. Le Tessier indicated it.

"For you, Roxane."

"Thank you, Uncle, but not before I have re-bandaged the Captain. Doctor Angus? I have two clean linen squares here for use as dressings. Do I need to apply anything to them?"

"For the wound?" Roxane nodded and Angus shook his head. "No, Miss Harrison. Provided the wound is dry, a dry dressing will be adequate. And Captain Gilroy's wound is dry. We shall pray that it stays so. Please, apply the bandage."

Roxane had watched carefully when Collins had bandaged Gilroy, and she was careful to emulate his technique. Angus nodded when she had finished and smiled at her.

"Not quite how I would have done it, but more than adequate. I suspect your teacher had a military background. Yes?"

"Navy, Doctor Angus. Mr Collins, Captain Gilroy's surgeon."

Angus nodded. "I see."

"Collins was with the Royal North British Dragoons for some years before joining me, Doctor," said Gilroy.

"The Scots Greys, eh? Good soldiers. Miss Harrison, I see no problem in letting you look after Captain Gilroy's wound, with one proviso."

"Yes, Doctor?"

"That you call me immediately if you detect any trace of infection in the wound, particularly so if there is any unpleasant odour. Yes?"

"My word on it, Doctor Angus. A question, though?"

"Yes?"

"If the wound seems to be healing well, would it be a correct notion to consider removing the bandages? Provided, of course, that Captain Gilroy does not over-exert himself, and open the wound."

Angus fixed her with a look. "Only, I repeat, only, if you are certain within yourself that the wound is healing. Do not take chances."

Roxane shook her head. "That, I would never do, Doctor Angus."

"Very well." Angus nodded and turned to Gilroy. "I shall call to see you in one week's time, Captain. Until then, I leave you in Miss Harrison's capable hands."

"Thank you, Doctor Angus," said Gilroy, echoed by Roxane.

"In that case, I bid you good day. Captain Gilroy, Miss Harrison." Angus turned to go and Le Tessier stood.

"I'll see you out, Alistair."

Left together, Roxane and Gilroy turned to each other. "Well, Roxane, I'm in your hands now. Am I safe?"

She smiled. "In what sense, Alex? As your nurse I can safely say, of course you are safe, but as the woman you stole a kiss from this very morning, I do not know. Am I safe?" And I do not know whether I want the answer to that question to be yes or no!

"I turn your question back on you, Roxane. From what? From any hurt I might cause you? Know this. I shall endeavour never to hurt you in any way. This I swear, on my mother's life. From the growing affection I feel for you? Well, there I'm afraid I don't know, for I've never felt so strongly attracted to a woman before."

Nor I to a man, she thought. She smiled at him. "You're here for a week, Alex. perhaps before you rejoin the Pelican we'll know what we feel for each other."

"Does that mean I shall enjoy your company every day?"

She nodded. "Yes, indeed, and for as much of each day as I can manage." The nights? God alone knows the answer to that.

Gilroy smiled. "Thank you for that, Roxane. And now? I think I hear your Uncle Silas returning. Best we change the subject, I feel."

"Indeed. In France? The agent had been betrayed, yes? Do we know by who?"

"A pertinent question, Roxane, to which I am afraid I have no answer. Your Uncle Silas may know more, as he has acted as our focus."

Le Tessier came in then, smiling. "I think you impressed Doctor Angus, Roxane."

She laughed. "He took care not to show it, then."

"Perhaps. Mrs Trevelyan tells me that a luncheon is prepared for us. Can you make it as far as the dining room, Alex?"

"With a little support, yes."

"Roxane? Can you assist the captain?"

"Of course, Uncle Silas."

"Then I shall tell Mrs Trevelyan we are ready to dine."

Seated at table, after Roxane had said grace at Le Tessier's request, and waiting for Mrs. Trevelyan to serve the soup, it was Gilroy who sowed the seed.

"Silas? Do we have any idea who betrayed our agent? I feel that Roxane and I were very lucky in our escape. I feel guilty now for taking her."

"Hush!" said Roxane. "I knew our presence in France was risky."

Gilroy nodded. "I know, and I am conscious of your nerve and courage, but much better that I was shot than you. So, Silas, anything?"

Le Tessier shook his head. "Nothing certain, no. The message we got was vague, only that our agent in St. Pierre was betrayed. Nothing about by whom, or indeed, how." He shrugged. "Unless and until we receive more intelligence, I fear we shall not be any wiser. But, please! This is no subject for conversation at table! Let us enjoy the meal."

After lunch, though, it was Silas who raised the subject again.

"Alex, you asked to borrow my desk, in order to write your report to be sent by the packet tomorrow. Give me a half hour first in order to write my own report, and then my desk is yours for as long as you need. Roxane, my dear? Will you keep Alex company?"

"Of course."

"I'll have Mrs. Trevelyan bring tea to the parlour for you."

After helping Gilroy to the parlour, although in truth he seemed almost capable of managing by himself, Roxane helped him into an armchair, propped his feet up on a footstool, then sat herself opposite him.

Gilroy smiled, gesturing broadly. "Cosy and domestic, Roxane, the sort of thing a poor sailor thinks about when a gale is crashing about his ears, he's reefed down to bare poles, and on a lee shore. But it all fades on a sunny day, with a fresh breeze and miles of sea-room."

Roxane laughed. "Yes, 'tis more pleasant to be sailing on a fair day, than on a foul one." About to say more, Roxane checked herself when Mrs. Trevelyan came in with the tea tray, laying it on the table nearby.

"Captain?"

"Yes, Mrs. Trevelyan?"

"Mr Jenkins would like a word with you."

"Please ask him to come in."

Jenkins must have been nearby as he came in almost immediately Mrs. Trevelyan left.

"Mr Jenkins. Please, take a seat."

"No need, sir. This will only take a moment. Will you be needin' me for anything this afternoon?"

"I don't think so, Jenkins. In fact, if you want to explore, I don't think I'll need you until after dinner this evening."

"Thank you, sir. That's exactly what I want to do, explore. It's not often I get a bit of shore leave, like."

"After dinner tonight, then. Until then, your time's your own."

"Thank you, sir. I'll bid you good-day then, sir. Miss Roxane." And he was gone.

"He seems a nice man, Alex, your Mr. Jenkins."

"He is, Roxane. And loyal. But don't let his manners suggest to you a man that avoids a fight. He backs down to no-one, when he's in the right. If he's in the wrong, well, he knows when to quit. He's saved my life once or twice, yes, and me, his." Gilroy gave her a rueful smile. "This war has been going on too long, although perhaps we'll see an end to it soon, now that Wellington's army has chased the French from Spain and Portugal."

"We shall pray for victory, then."

"Indeed, but talk of war is not fit conversation for a man and a young woman. We should be talking of balls, and soirees, and parties!"

"And where you will find me only under protest!" Roxane laughed. "I fear it all attracts me not at all."

"No seeking for a husband?" he said, his tone teasing.

"No." Her tone was curt.

"Most humbly do I beg your pardon, Roxane. I have offended you."

She gave him a wry smile. "Not so, but social gatherings of that sort remind me too much of a cattle market, bringing the bulls to the cows for breeding!"

Gilroy laughed. "Ah, dear Roxane! Such a graphic image, to be sure." He sobered. "Yet do I see more than an element of truth in what you say."

"Time for another change of subject, then?"

"Indeed, but what shall we talk about?"

"Gardening? Farming? Sailing?"

"Of the first two I know nothing! The third, well it has been my life since I was a young midshipman of fourteen. But you are a fair sailor yourself. I remember nothing of that night we fled France after you took the ball from under my ribs, until I was being lifted back on board the Pelican. You had no problems on that trip?"

Roxane smiled. "Apart from preventing you from falling overboard, no. The night was fair, the breeze was fresh, and the boat was sound. Under other circumstances, I could have enjoyed it."

"When I am stronger, we must borrow a boat and have ourselves a little sail for pleasure."

"I shall look forward to that." That was all she said before Le Tessier came back to join them.

"My despatch is ready, Alex. My desk is yours, so that you may write your own report."

"My thanks, Silas. Roxane, may I take your arm again?"

"Of course." She helped Gilroy along the passageway and into Le Tessier's study, easing him into the chair at the desk. Le Tessier had left paper and ink for him, with three or four pens, and sand.

"How long will you need, Alex?"

"I fear it will take me an hour, possibly more. Go, sit with your uncle, read a book, or take a walk."

"You're sure?"

"Of course. I can always use your uncle's bell to summon someone to help me, can't I?"

"Indeed. Very well, I'll leave you for the moment. I'll return in half an hour, or so."

"What, no goodbye kiss?" he said lightly.

She was about to say no and leave, but impulsively bent to kiss his cheek. Whether he meant it or not, she never knew, but as her head came down, so his turned, and she found herself kissing his lips. Her first instinct was to pull back, but her second, stronger, instinct told her to hold the kiss.

They were both breathing heavily when she forced herself to break the kiss, confused by the heat she felt in herself. She stared at him, then smiled, soft, a little shy.

"Roxane, I - " he began, but she put her fingers across his lips, shaking her head.

"No apology, Alex." She smiled, and bent to kiss him again, but this time quick, light. "Never apologise for kissing me like that!"

He grinned, cheeky, like a schoolboy. "Can I do it again?"

She smiled. "Yes, but not now!" She gestured. "Your report. You will want no distractions while you write it."

He laughed, rueful. "I fear you have the truth of it, Roxane. Very well, leave me to my report, poor company that it is compared to you."

"You shall have my company again later, you know so. That report must be ready to go by tomorrow's packet, so please, dear Alex, get on with it!"

He sighed. "Yes, mistress."

* * * * *

Chapter 11

In the parlour, her uncle was seated, reading. He smiled to see her, and signalled her to the chair opposite.

"Alex is settled? Writing his report?"

"He is, Uncle Silas. He thinks about an hour. I said I would go back in a half hour, to check. Perhaps I'll take him some tea."

Le Tessier gave her a crooked smile. "After half an hour wrestling with a report, I suspect a large brandy would be more welcome, but yes, I think the tea more advisable."

"I'll take some along in a little while. For now, I shall read a little."

They sat for a while in contented silence, but a little niggle of curiosity had been troubling Roxane, and she laid her book down.

"Uncle Silas?"

"Yes, my dear?"

"My mother? How long had she known my father when he asked her to marry him?"

Silas smiled. "Roxane, my dear, your mother, my sister Lucille, was a woman of sound mind, and when a course of action appeared to her to be the correct one to take, she took it. Had it been up to your father to propose marriage, my sister might yet be unmarried. She knew he was the one she wanted for a husband, so she presented him with a fait accompli. I think he was pleased not to have to make the decision. I was fond of John Harrison, and I think that in many ways Lucille found him a kindred spirit."

Roxane nodded. "I always thought that they seemed well matched, but you have not answered my question."

Le Tessier smiled. "How long?" Roxane nodded. "It's almost twenty-two years ago now, Roxane, but if I remember correctly they met on a Saturday, and two weeks later everyone was planning their wedding."

"Two weeks? Mama had organised father into marrying her in two weeks?" Roxane sat back, letting out her breath with a whoosh. "Good gracious!"

"Probably less than two weeks, but no other among us knew until those two weeks had passed." Le Tessier's tone was dry. "The wedding itself was six weeks after they met, to give time for the banns to be read in church." He looked away for a moment, and when he looked back at her, Roxane saw tears in his eyes.

"I miss her, Roxane, I miss them both, even though we rarely saw each other."

There were tears in Roxane's own eyes now, and she fumbled for a handkerchief, wiping her eyes, and blowing her nose. "Why, oh why, did they have to die in that accursed fire?"

"Fate is cruel, sometimes, Roxane. I bless the providence that brought you to me, the image of your mother and yet still yourself."

Roxane smiled. "Mama always said I was more stubborn even than she was."

Her uncle laughed. "Then you must be stubborn indeed, Roxane! Go now, and see how Alex is doing. I suspect he'd welcome an interruption about now."