Orphan Ch. 09-12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gilroy greeted her with a broad smile. "Ah, Roxane! Have you come to rescue me?"

"I fear not, but Uncle Silas thought you might welcome an interruption about now. Some tea, perhaps?"

"Ah, bless you, Roxane. A dish of tea would be most welcome."

"I'll be back directly."

Mrs. Trevelyan was enjoying a cup of tea herself, and Roxane hastened to stop her when she made to rise. "No, no! I think I know enough now to make some tea myself, now that I know where you keep everything."

"Very well, Miss Roxane. I fancy I'll be busy soon enough, with the evening meal, so I'll welcome the rest."

"Well-earned, I suspect." Roxane busied herself with making a pot of tea, while Mrs. Trevelyan watched her.

"You're the image of your mother, Miss Roxane."

Roxane smiled at the housekeeper. "That is exactly what my Uncle Silas said, just a minute ago."

"It's true. You are." Mrs. Trevelyan laughed. "She used to come in here and insist on making her own tea, too."

"So I take after my mother in more than just looks, do I?"

"Aye, I think that you do. There are biscuits in the crock, there, if you want to take some to Mr. Le Tessier and the captain."

A moment or two later, Roxane stood back. "Have I everything? Teapot, cups and saucers, plate of biscuits, sugar bowl, spoons."

"Milk?"

"Oh, my goodness! Fancy forgetting the milk!"

"There's many a one drinks it without." Mrs. Trevelyan pointed. "In the cool store. The large jug. Fill one of those small ones from it."

She stopped first in the parlour, pouring her uncle a cup. He waved away her offer of biscuits. "Give them to Alex. It will make a change for him from hardtack."

Gilroy welcomed her return with a broad smile. "Roxane! Have you come to save my life?"

"I rather thought to offer you a cup of tea and a biscuit or two."

He sighed theatrically. "I suppose that must do."

"I do not think your life in danger from writing a report, surely?"

"Perhaps, when it is read by my superiors."

"Which will not be for a few days, for the packet must get back to England first, and then your report must be passed to your superiors. Time enough to lift your gloom, perhaps."

"Your presence starts that process, Roxane."

"Thank you, Alex. But I fear the gloom returning, for I must ask, is your report finished?"

"In draft, yes. I shall sip this delicious tea, poured by your own hand - "

"And brewed by me, too."

"Indeed? Then I shall doubly savour it!"

"In draft, you said?"

"Aye, in draft. I must rewrite it in more formal terms. Fifteen or twenty minutes work. One thing I have learned in my time as a Naval officer is to be concise. Their Lordships have no time for flowery language." He gestured with his tea cup. "But for the moment, I drink your delicious tea."

"Very well. When you have finished your tea, and have rewritten your draft in its final form, I think you should have a nap before dinner." She expected a protest but Gilroy nodded, and gave her a rueful smile.

"I think you have the truth of it, Roxane. I am not so recovered as I thought I was. A rest will suit me well."

"Very well. I shall leave you for the moment, while you begin on your report. I'll return in a few minutes with my book, and I shall sit quietly in the corner until you are finished, and then I shall help you to your room."

All levity was gone from Gilroy's gaze. "Thank you, Roxane."

It was nearer thirty-five or forty minutes than Gilroy's estimated fifteen or twenty, but at last he set down his pen. "There," he said. "It is done! As, I fear, am I. May I beg your assistance to my room?"

"Of course," said Roxane, setting down her book and going to him. "Here, lean on me. Rest your arm on my shoulder."

"I fear I must."

It was a slow progress up the stairs, but Roxane was patient, and Gilroy sufficiently honest with himself not to try to hurry, and she helped him to his bed where he lay back with a sigh of relief. Roxane eased off his shoes and flipped a blanket over him.

"Rest for a while, Alex, and then I'll come back to see how you are. If you do not feel able to come down to dinner, I'll ask Mr. Jenkins to help you change, and then I'll bring some dinner for you."

"I suspect I may be upstairs until morning. But, Roxane, please do not put yourself out on my account."

She smiled. "I'm your nursemaid, remember? I'll need to check your bandages in any case. Perhaps change them, although I suspect adjustment will be sufficient."

"Something for me to look forward to, then." He grinned, and rolled his eyes. "And feel your soft hands on my battered sailor's body."

She flushed. "Alex Gilroy! Behave yourself."

"Aye, ma'am!"

She was hiding a smile as she left his room. And, she admitted to herself, she was looking forward to touching him.

* * * * *

Chapter 12

Silas Le Tessier was still in the parlour when she looked in. He glanced up, saw her, and beckoned her in. "How is Alex, my dear?"

"Tired. I helped him upstairs and he rests for now. I said I would check before dinner, to see if he feels able to come down, but I think he will remain upstairs. I said I would ask Mr. Jenkins to help him change, and that I would take some dinner up for him. Aye, and check his bandages, too, since I am his nursemaid in Doctor Angus' absence."

"But you and I, we will dine together?"

"Uncle Silas, of course!"

"I may be a curmudgeonly old bachelor, Roxane, but I have grown fond of you, and in truth I value your company."

She moved to him, bent, and kissed his cheek. "And I yours, Uncle Silas. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must see Mr. Jenkins."

Jenkins was in the kitchen, chatting to Mrs. Trevelyan and Molly. He smiled to see her, and stood.

"The captain, Miss Harrison? How is he?"

"Tired, Mr Jenkins, and resting. I shall check on him a half hour before dinner to see if he feels able to come down. If he does not, may I prevail on you to help him change?"

Jenkins nodded. "Of course. Just let me know when."

"I shall." Roxane turned to Mrs. Trevelyan, who smiled and held up her hand.

"And if the captain cannot come down, you want a tray for him?"

Roxane smiled. "Mrs. Trevelyan, I could swear that you read my mind!"

The older woman laughed. "It would be a useful talent, if I had it. No, it is just experience of similar times in the past."

Roxane nodded. "I shall not ask! Yes, please. A tray, if it becomes necessary."

"I shall make sure that nothing needs cutting to size, so that a fork, or perhaps spoon, will be all that is needed."

Roxane laughed. "Mrs. Trevelyan! I would never have thought of that!"

Trevelyan sobered. "It was a hard lesson, but once learned, never forgotten." She gave Roxane a half-smile. "Do not ask, Miss Roxane. The memories are painful."

Roxane nodded. "I shall not. And I apologise for prompting the recall, for it is obviously distressing."

"Not your fault, Miss Roxane. Now, if you will excuse me, dinner calls." She turned away and Roxane turned to Jenkins.

"Be ready, Mr. Jenkins, but otherwise, your time is your own."

"Thank you, Miss."

Silas Le Tessier was still in the parlour when Roxane returned. He smiled.

"All organised, my dear?"

"Yes, indeed. Mrs. Trevelyan was most helpful. I would never have thought of cutting everything to bite-size if the captain needs a tray taken up."

"Ah. A lesson Mrs. Trevelyan learned hard. Her nephew, wounded at Trafalgar. She nursed him for a month or more, but her efforts were as naught, for the lad died."

"She said not to ask."

"Respect her wish, Roxane. For my sake if not for hers."

"Uncle Silas, I saw the pain on her face. I have no wish to remind her further than I already have. Aye, and regret that."

"Never refer to it, Roxane."

"I shall not. My word on it!"

When she checked on him, Gilroy was lying with his eyes closed, and she was about to tiptoe away again when he spoke.

"I'm awake, Roxane. Don't go."

"How did you know it was me?" she said, turning back to the bed, warmed by his welcoming smile.

"Your scent is unmistakable."

"But I wear no perfume," she said, surprised.

"I know." He waved his hand airily. "You have a natural fragrance."

She laughed. "I do?"

"Yes, you do. Very pleasant to a man's nose, especially this man. Come, sit on the bed for a moment."

"Very well, but only for a moment. It is not seemly for a single girl to be alone with a man in his bedroom." She managed to keep a straight face, but she was fighting a giggle. She sat on the bed beside him and he took her hand, squeezing it.

"Do you think you will be able to come down to dinner?" she said, turning her hand in his, the better to squeeze back.

He grimaced. "Much as I'd like to, Roxane, I fear not. I tired myself more than I should."

"Well, you did lose rather a lot of blood. Doctor Angus says that your body will make it up again, but that it cannot be an overnight recovery. He hazards a week before you will be well recovered, and even then not fully."

"A week of your ministrations? Almost worth being shot for!"

Roxane laughed. "Behave yourself, Captain Gilroy, else I shall have Jenkins change your dressing."

"No, no! You cannot!" he protested, but the laughter in his eyes gave the lie to his words.

"I can, and I will!" Roxane smiled. "But not tonight. I shall ask Jenkins to help you change, and then I shall bring a tray up for you, with your dinner. Once you have supped, I shall attend to your bandages, and then I shall leave you to your rest."

"What about your own dinner, Roxane? You cannot be in two places at once, and your Uncle Silas will want you to dine with him. Have Jenkins bring my dinner, and see to my bandages after you have dined, and before I sleep."

"A sensible solution. Very well. I shall ask Jenkins directly, but first, how do you feel, apart from being rather tired?"

"Quite well, Roxane. In fact, were it not for being as weak as a toddling babe, I should say very well."

"Good. I shall leave you now, and ask Jenkins to attend to you. I shall see you again after dinner."

He squeezed her fingers. "I shall look forward to it."

* * * * *

And that's part three of this opus done. I hope you enjoyed reading it at least as much as I enjoyed writing it. Feedback and constructive criticism are most welcome. Remember, though, if you ask a question, to give a return address for reply!