Orphan Ch. 17-20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When he followed the women, Gilroy found Roxane sitting at the table. She had recovered her composure and gave him a wan smile. Mrs Trevelyan was nowhere in sight, but returned almost at once carrying two glasses of brandy. She put one in front of Roxane and passed the other to Gilroy. She gave him an absent smile.

"I don't think the master will begrudge you this," she said, and turned back to Roxane. "Drink this, my love. It will make you feel better." Roxane took a sip, and then another, and sighed.

"I do beg your pardon, Mrs Trevelyan. I should not have acted like that."

Mrs Trevelyan snorted. "It would take a far stronger stomach than yours to kill someone, aye, even someone as evil as Scrogg, and not feel anything. You need no apology for me, Miss Roxane. Does she, Captain?"

"Most definitely not, Mrs Trevelyan, especially as she saved my life as well as her own. I fear Scrogg needed our silence, for there was no way he could let us live."

"Quite so! Miss Roxane, never be ashamed of what you did."

Roxane gave them both a faint smile. "I'll try. Now, if you'll excuse me, I shall wash and change. I fear this gown must be discarded, for I do not think I could ever wear it again." She went out, and Gilroy turned to Mrs Trevelyan.

"Mrs Trevelyan, is Andrew around?"

"I fear not. With the three of you absent for lunch, the master gave Andrew leave to go to the market as well. Why? What need you of Andrew?"

"I was going to ask him to advise the watch. Scrogg's body must be recovered, and I fear we may have left Roxane's pistol there as well."

"I can drive the gig as well as Andrew, Captain Gilroy. As soon as Miss Roxane returns, and I see you both finally settled to your lunch, then I'll away and inform the watch for you."

"Thank you, Mrs Trevelyan. That would be greatly appreciated. I'll need Roxane to describe the location for you. I fear I was paying much more attention to her than to where we were."

The housekeeper laughed. "And quite understandable too, Captain." She smiled. "What of your lunch?"

"We still have it in the baskets. We thought to take it in the garden."

"A pleasant notion, indeed. Although I think you'll be needing another blanket to sit on?"

"I'm afraid so, Mrs Trevelyan, for the other covers Scrogg's body."

"I'll fetch you one. If you'll excuse me?"

"Of course."

She was back almost immediately, and put a folded blanket on the table. She gestured towards the staircase. "If you'll excuse me for a moment, I'll see if Miss Roxane needs anything."

"Of course. I shall wait here."

She nodded, and was away, and he allowed himself to think about Roxane. That he had asked her to marry him was a decision about which he had no doubt whatsoever, for he had found himself in love with her; almost from their first meeting, he realised. That she had accepted his proposal, and so eagerly, he still found slightly disconcerting, but he was delighted. The glimpses he had had of her beauty made him want her even more, but he acknowledged to himself that he would have proposed anyway.

Steps in the hallway alerted him, and he stood. Mrs Trevelyan came in, followed by Roxane, who came straight across to him, and took his hand.

"I've told Mrs Trevelyan where the watch will find the body."

"And your pistol."

"And my pistol, yes. But surely the need for that has gone?"

"For now, yes. In future? Who knows?"

Roxane laughed. "Indeed. Who knows?"

"I'll be away now, Miss Roxane, Captain. I'll be back as soon as I'm able. The two of you will be here?"

"We'll be here, Mrs Trevelyan. Either eating that food you prepared for us, in the garden, else in the parlour, but we'll be here."

"Very well. Goodbye for now." She went out, and a few moments later they saw the gig turn out of the gate and head towards town.

"Lunch?" said Roxane.

"Please," said Gilroy. "Where are the baskets?"

Roxane's face fell. "Still on the gig, on their way to town, I fear."

Gilroy sighed. "And I was so looking forward to it." He looked beyond Roxane and his face brightened. "I think Mrs Trevelyan has realised, for there she is, come back!"

The gig pulled up in the yard as they went out. Mrs Trevelyan smiled. "I think it best if I leave your lunch with you, rather than taking it to see the watch," she said, her tone teasing.

"Indeed so, Mrs Trevelyan, and your prompt return with it saves us from starvation."

"I doubt that, Captain. Miss Roxane knows where to find things."

"Aye, I do, but I seem to have temporarily misplaced my common sense," said Roxane, laughing.

Mrs Trevelyan sobered. "And no surprise in that, Miss Roxane, after your day. Here, take the baskets, and I'll be off to see the watch. Again!" she added, laughing.

They enjoyed their -- late! - cold lunch. Chicken, fresh bread, some cold sliced beef and ham, some sharp cheese. And a bottle of Silas Le Tessier's second-best claret. They were just finishing their second glasses when Mrs Trevelyan returned. She came out to where they sat on the grass.

"I told Peter Torrens, young Andrew's uncle. He's taking another of the watch, and a cart. He says that he thinks he knows exactly where you were, from your directions, Miss Roxane. He says too that he will call and see you, and sends his apologies for the necessity."

Roxane nodded. "I understand. A man has died, after all."

"Quite so. Now, if you'll excuse me, there is the matter of your evening meal to attend to."

Gilroy lay back, smiling up at Roxane. "I must see your Uncle Silas when he returns. You have agreed to my proposal, my love, but you are yet under age. I must ask his consent to make you my wife."

"Do you want me at your side?"

"In everything else, yes, but this task I undertake alone." He put his hand to his head, where Scrogg's blow had landed, and winced. "I shall not make the best impression with this egg on my head."

"I think that my uncle will be more concerned with your feelings towards me, than that, my dear Alex."

"Think you so? Well, we shall soon see, for I believe that is him coming now."

It was, and after putting up his horse, Le Tessier came out to the garden where Roxane and Gilroy were sitting. His face showed nothing but concern.

"Roxane? Alex? Are you both well. I encountered Peter Torrens along the lane, with a cart containing that loathsome Scrogg's body, and he tells me you shot him, Roxane! Can this be so?"

Roxane gave her uncle a twisted smile. "Indeed, and he has the truth of it. Remember, Uncle, when you gave me the pistol? When you said that you hoped I never needed it, but that if I did, I should not hesitate? Well, I fear that such a moment came today, with poor Alex rendered unconscious and Scrogg attempting again to rape me."

"And he did not, I pray?" Le Tessier's face was anxious.

"He did not, Uncle Silas. He was distracted and I managed to get my hand to the pistol in time."

Le Tessier frowned. "Distracted?"

Roxane flushed. "He had just ripped my gown open."

Le Tessier's flush was deeper. "Ah, quite so, Roxane. My apologies."

She shook her head. "No need for apology, Uncle Silas. He laid no hand on me before he died. And God forgive me, but I can feel no regret for killing him."

Le Tessier nodded. "There you speak truly, my dear." He turned to Gilroy. "And you, Alex? I see you have a head wound to add to your others."

"Indeed, Silas. I'm ashamed to say that I was taken by surprise." Le Tessier nodded in sympathy, and Gilroy went on. "There is, however, something I'd like to ask of you. In private, if we may?"

Le Tessier nodded. "In five minutes, in my study. Mrs Trevelyan mentioned tea."

Gilroy nodded. "Five minutes. Thank you, Silas."

Le Tessier nodded, smiled at Roxane, and made his way back into the house.

Gilroy turned to Roxane. He smiled, a little uncertain. "Five minutes, Roxane. The longest five minutes of my life, I suspect."

She smiled. "Not so, Alex, my love. That will be when you wait at the altar for me, at our wedding."

Gilroy laughed. "I suspect that you have the truth of it, Roxane." He frowned.

"How long must I wait until our wedding?" He laughed. "That is, assuming your uncle gives his consent."

"My mother wed my father six weeks after they met," said Roxane. "Can we match that?"

"If that decision is mine, Roxane, then the answer is yes! I want to make love to you."

"And I to you, my love."

Gilroy took a deep breath. "Time to see your uncle, I fear."

"Go then, Alex, and go with my love."

It was only ten minutes later that Gilroy came back to where Roxane waited. He grimaced. "Silas wishes to speak to you, my dear. I said I would send you straight in."

"Relax, my love, all will be well."

"I hope so, Roxane, I hope so, with all my heart."

"I shall return momentarily."

She made her way to her uncle's study, and knocked. "Come in, Roxane," was the reply. Smiling, she made her way in. Le Tessier was relaxing in an armchair beside the fire. He waved her to the one opposite, smiling as she sat.

"I suspect that you know what Alex asked of me?"

She nodded. "My hand in marriage."

"And how do you feel about that, Roxane. I told you, remember, that I would look on such a marriage favourably, but how do you feel, Roxane? Do you want to be Alex Gilroy's wife?"

She smiled at her uncle, and nodded. "I do, Uncle Silas, with all my heart."

Le Tessier nodded. "I thought as much, having seen the two of you together. I must ask again, Roxane, are you sure?"

"As sure as any maid who has never been married before and believes she has met the man of her dreams, yes."

Le Tessier laughed. "Very well, my dear. Go and fetch him, and we'll put him out of his misery."

Dinner that evening was a happy, joyous occasion. After they had fed, Le Tessier insisted on Mrs Trevelyan -- and her husband -- and Molly and Andrew, and Jenkins, too, joining him in a toast to the newly-betrothed couple.

"To Alex and Roxane, to wish them every happiness in their life together."

"To Alex and Roxane," came the enthusiastic response from the others present.

"We shall have to call and see Reverend Collier," said Roxane a little later, "for the banns must be called." She frowned. "But what of your home church?"

Gilroy gave her a sad smile. "We are both orphans, Roxane. My parents died of a fever. My family home was sold, and the proceeds divided between myself and my sister, Alice, who now lives in Canada with her husband. The Navy has been my home these many years, but I can scarce call the Admiralty my home. Nor, much as I love her, the Pelican."

"Alex," said Le Tessier. "You are a Naval officer, yes, but you are marrying my niece, and until the two of you have established a residence of your own, you must consider here as your home, for you will be away on service soon enough and I wish Roxane to live here until your return."

Gilroy nodded. "My heartfelt thanks to you, Silas. There, Roxane, problem solved."

"Indeed. You will attend church with me on Sunday?"

"Of course, but when shall we see Reverend Collier?"

"Perhaps I can assist," said Le Tessier. "Reverend Collier is always at home to parishioners on a Friday morning. There are usually only one or two of them, so you will most probably have only a short wait."

"Tomorrow, then," said Roxane.

Mrs Trevelyan and the others had left them after the toast, but Mrs Trevelyan knocked and came in.

"Sir? Watch officer Torrens is here, sir. He'd like to see the Captain and Miss Roxane."

"Of course," said Le Tessier. Please show Torrens to the parlour and we'll join him in a moment." Mrs Trevelyan went out and Le Tessier turned to the others. "I fear a not very pleasant moment for the two of you. Do you wish me with you?"

Gilroy grimaced. "You were not involved, Silas. I see no need."

"Very well. I shall however greet Mr Torrens as master of this house, and then leave you with him. I shall be in my study if needed."

Torrens was standing in the parlour, twisting his hat in his hands. He nodded to Le Tessier.

"Mr Le Tessier. A sorry business, sir."

"Indeed so, Mr Torrens, but one that could have been so much worse."

"Quite so, sir."

"Do you need me?" said Le Tessier. "If not, I shall be in my study."

"No, sir. I just need a moment with Miss Harrison and Captain Gilroy."

"Very well." Le Tessier went out, and Torrens turned to the others.

"Please, Mr Torrens, be seated. May I offer you some refreshment?" said Roxane.

"Thank you, ma'am, but no. I think we will be but a moment here, and my own chair at home draws me."

Roxane laughed. "I should imagine that is so, Mr Torrens. Now, how can we help you?"

"Please, just tell me what happened?"

"Very well. Captain Gilroy and I had taken the gig out for a wander among the lanes. Mrs Trevelyan had prepared a cold lunch for us and we found what we thought would be an ideal spot. Grazing for the horse, shade from the sun, and the stream to refresh ourselves if needed."

"A lovely place, under other circumstances."

"Indeed. Captain Gilroy and I had sat, a few moments idleness before we lunched. I fear we were paying more attention to each other than to what was around us, for the first thing I knew was the crack when Scrogg's cudgel hit Captain Gilroy's head, a sound which might haunt my dreams for some time." Roxane drew a deep breath before going on. "Scrogg then turned his attentions to me, and made it very clear that his intention was to rape me, and then dispose of myself and Captain Gilroy."

"May I ask, Miss Harrison? The pistol? Where was it?"

"When we learned that Scrogg was at large, my uncle gave me that pistol, and bade me to carry it whenever I was abroad, while Scrogg remained uncaught. I had contrived a pocket in my travelling cloak, and when we sat down. I took the pistol from the cloak pocket, as I intended to roll the cloak up to rest my head. I tucked the pistol under the edge of the blanket on which we sat. Silly of me, I know, but the sight of it seemed able to spoil the moment, and I preferred it out of sight."

"Understandable, Miss Harrison. Please, continue."

"As I said, Scrogg made clear to me his intentions after he felled the Captain. I did not dare try to seize the pistol at first, for he still held the cudgel and I do not doubt it would have been struck from my hand, but he laid the cudgel down and addressed himself to me. He was distracted for a moment, and I seized the moment and grabbed the pistol. I did not take time to aim, but fired it at his head." Roxane took a deep, shuddering breath. "The rest, I think, you know."

"May I ask, Miss Harrison? How was Scrogg distracted?"

Roxane flushed. "He ripped my gown open," she said, her tone flat.

Now it was Torrens' turn to flush. "Ah. Quite so." He turned to Gilroy. "Have you anything to add, Captain?"

"Nothing of value, I fear. Scrogg's blow rendered me senseless, and it was only on Miss Harrison seeking to revive me that I became aware of the situation. By then, of course, it was all over."

"Quite so. Very well, Miss Harrison, Captain Gilroy. What you have told me accords with what I found at the scene. Scrogg was a wanted felon, and no-one will miss him, I feel. So far as the watch is concerned, the affair is concluded."

"Thank you, Mr Torrens," said Roxane. She was about to ask about the pistol when Torrens reached into a pocket and took it out. He bowed, and held it out to her.

"Yours, I believe."

"Thank you, Mr Torrens." Roxane took the pistol and laid it on the table beside her.

"I'll bid you good day, and I apologise for spoiling your evening."

"Nay, Mr Torrens, not so. You had your duty to perform, and no-one will hold that against you, especially not us."

Torrens nodded. "Very well. Good night, Miss Harrison, Captain."

"I'll show you out, Mr Torrens," said Gilroy.

Le Tessier came in. "Well, my dear?"

She smiled. "Mr Torrens assures us that as far as the watch is concerned, the matter is closed."

"Good!"

"Amen to that, dear Uncle."

"Indeed. What do you now, my dear?"

"I think I should like to sit and talk peacefully with my uncle and my betrothed, perhaps sip a glass of wine, and then have an early night. After checking Alex's bandage, of course. In a lot of ways, Uncle Silas, today has been quite tiring."

"A fact I can appreciate, my dear. Ah, Alex returns. Alex, Roxane proposes that we sit in quiet conversation, sip a glass of wine, and perhaps have an early night. What say you?"

Gilroy laughed. "After today's events, a most satisfactory conclusion to the day, I feel." He laughed. "Roxane, my dear, I think you have made another conquest."

"I have? Who, pray?"

"Mr Torrens. He much admired your cool head in an awkward situation."

She made a face. "I think it was desperation, rather. Scrogg had to be removed so that I could tend to you."

"Even so. Mr Torrens approves of you."

"I'm flattered, but I do not wish to think any more of Scrogg or his intentions. I want to think of us, of our future."

Le Tessier stood. "If you two will excuse me, I shall go and ask Mrs Trevelyan to open a bottle of claret, then have a word with Trevelyan. I'll be about ten minutes, I think. Then we can relax." He nodded to them, and went out.

Alex Gilroy had stood as Le Tessier went out, and he turned to Roxane, drawing her to her feet, and into his embrace. He bent and kissed her, warm, a promise. "I realise I have been somewhat remiss, Roxane, my love."

"You have?" she said, smiling up into his eyes.

"I have. I have asked you to marry me, you have accepted, and yet I have not said to you one simple thing."

Roxane's smile broadened. "And that is?"

"This, my dear. I love you."

"And I love you, dear Alex."

Le Tessier made enough noise when he returned to enable them to separate, but they had enjoyed their kisses. They sat with Le Tessier, in easy, relaxed conversation, avoiding any mention of Scrogg, and skirting around Gilroy's naval service. With the war against Bonaparte's France still being waged, he would likely be in action soon enough. Too soon, for Roxane.

At last, she drained her glass, and smiled at the others. "I'm for my bed, I think. Alex, I need to check your bandages, although I think no change should be needed. If the healing has proceeded as well as it was, and you have taken no further hurt from Scrogg's attack, then tomorrow we might consider leaving the bandage off completely, although if there's any doubt the bandage stays."

Gilroy smiled. "If my nurse is for her bed, her patient must at least take his shirt off and be checked."

"Yes, you must," said Roxane. "If you'll excuse me, I shall get some hot water for my toilet. Alex, I'll see you in ten minutes or so."

"Very well, my love. A shirtless Alex Gilroy will await your tender mercies."

* * * * *

Chapter 20

In her room, Roxane stripped naked and washed herself carefully. She reached for her nightdress, but paused, laughed and pulled her robe on over her naked self. If Alex wishes to touch me, I'm ready, she thought. She fought a giggle. Shameless, no doubt, but ready. She came alert as she heard him enter his room next to hers. She gave him a minute or two to remove his shirt, and then went to knock on his door.

"Come in, Roxane."

She went in, and stopped dead. Gilroy had removed his shirt, yes, but he had also removed everything else. Alex Gilroy was standing, waiting for her, naked. He smiled.

"You're a little sooner than I expected, my love. I had thought to be in my bed, decently covered to the waist, at least. But you have seen this battered body of mine in its entirety before, so I do not think you will be too shocked."

Roxane laughed and moved on into the room, closing the door behind her. She moved over and kissed him. "Not shocked, no. Surprised, perhaps, pleasantly surprised, but hold still, Captain Gilroy, while I check your bandages."