All Comments on 'Out of the Mist'

by Cromagnonman

Sort by:
  • 31 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Too long winded. Loss track of thread of story.

Comment says it all for me.

ExMonkExMonkover 12 years ago
Exquisite story!!!

This has got to be your best ever, CM!!! I was totally hooked from beginning to end. Quite a masterpiece! And I've read thousands on this site... Waiting for more :)

mallahmallahover 12 years ago
Well...

You have Grantley a lot more forgiving of the masterminds of the breakup than me. Dr. would be facing such a lawsuit, and what happened with Cassie's grandfather? Oh so many questions about the secondary characters. Great Job though!

BelgiumBelgiumover 12 years ago
Great story

Cassie's mother really was one evil bitch and in my opinion she got of light by getting Alzheimer... But Cassie's grandfather was an equally evil character and he got away scott free...

The story ending seemed a bit too rushed though, therefore only 4 stars. But all in all a great story.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
WHAT A WEB WAS WOVEN

by prejudice, hate and bigotry. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

thank you, thank you, thank you! a lovely tale, not perfect, but absolutely lovely.

curioussscuriousssover 12 years ago
CM, this is the first story of yours...

...with which I got a little bored.

Maybe I'm too demanding, but I've really enjoyed every other one of your stories.

I don't think it's the length of the story, it's just that it didn't resonate with me.

Thanks for your undoubted talent and it still gets a '3'.

bruce22bruce22over 12 years ago
Excellent Conception and Execution

There are a couple of tough transitions that could be smoothed out but other than that it is a remarkable piece. Thanks.

AlpineskierAlpineskierover 12 years ago
yes!

Outstanding. Just freakin' outstanding! Thank you.

mtoldman33mtoldman33over 12 years ago
Magnificent!

A lovely story, exceedingly well told. I enjoyed every minute of the two hours it took to read it. I think that this is probably the best of your work that I have read. Thank you!

oldwayneoldwayneover 12 years ago
Just outstanding!

This was one of the finest stories I have found on this site. What an epic struggle! Your writing was just superb. Thank you so much for your story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

The transitions between narrator could have been smoother. But the story itself was fabulous I just wanted to tell Cassandra where he was the whole time. Lol

xtremeddxtremeddover 12 years ago
OH MY! Stopped by company during the read ... kicked them along and returned to

enjoy a most wonderful tale. Truth stranger than fiction, this was a credible telling and almost surreal accounting of a very possible truth.

Written, edited and crafted wonderfully. I could never be bored with a great story.

Thanks for sharing on Lit.

x

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Sooo drrrrrrraaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwn oooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuttttttt!

Please send thus story to Readers Digest and it would be much better. The plot was great, but you couldn't have stretched it our any longer if you tried.

ByronBrandtByronBrandtover 11 years ago
Damn good story!

Definitely not overly long, though a bit too descriptive in places.

The love between Grantly and Cassandra is extremely well-presented, and their reunion very touching.

Keep up the good work!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

You fucker. I'm not supposed to be leaking tears on a site like this.

Frankly, I'm not sure why this wasn't published for money, although I'm thankful I found it here. This was an amazingly well-written story that just ran away with my attention once I got caught up in it. Bravo! A Masterpiece in the truest and original sense of the word.

(My first comment on a story after years of reading here off and on. For those who track the demographics, 52 yo mwm.)

fanfarefanfareabout 10 years ago
critiquing the critics

For those that blamed Cassandra because she failed to return to the United States, need to go back and (slowly) re-read the story. The onepercenter influence of her Mother and Grandfather would have blocked any attempt. She was in GB illegally and they would have her arrested and jailed there. Maybe have enough pull to force an abortion or after the child was born adopt her out.

If Cassandra had returned Stateside and somehow tracked down Grantley, his death would have been easily arranged. Considering the missing nurse and other criminal activities that occurred, from the sanitarium, the agents who arranged Cassandra's transport which would have included State Dept. employees, and all the manipulations that followed.

I would start charging people with violating the RICO Act, conspiracy, intimidating witnesses, murder, kidnapping, etc. True the apex leaders are unavailable for prosecution but onepercenters own the Justice system. They are never penalized for their corrupt and criminal behavior. There would still be out there a network of corrupt officials and criminals to be cleaned out.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Out of this realm

Of possibility. You've tossed together a dis harmonic convergence of spite and conspiracy, silence and obtuesivness, and just plain lack of anything resembling common sense. Good God man, couldn't someone have won the lottery or known an ex-SAS OR Navy Seal? What a bunch of pathetic sheep!

Run Felicity run!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
point of view

Overall a good read, would have been great if not for the constant back and forth. Pick a point of view and stick with it.

sdc97230sdc97230over 8 years ago
The one remaining loose end

Cassie's mother needs to be smuggled out of the hospital and into some sort of 18th century Bedlam-style dungeon where she can be properly tortured for whatever years she has left, whether or not she's lucid enough to understand why.

HansTrimbleHansTrimblealmost 8 years ago
I'd like to plead for a little more respect . . .

. . . for the author. This was a very ambitious story for an amateur writer to undertake, and he handled it very well. The suggestions that have been made are, in some cases, constructive. But stop and think this thing through. He has a right to tell his stories as he wants to, and it is only because of his generosity that we are allowed to enjoy them. Remember that nobody forced you to read this story, and if you disliked it, why didn't you put it aside and read something else?

I've read this story twice, and I like it. If I were writing it, there are some things I might do differently, but I didn't write it, and frankly I don't think I could have. So I thank the author for entertaining me with his work, and I admit that I admire his ability to tell a story so well.

For those who didn't like the shifting viewpoints, please remember that the shifts in this story are nearly identical to the ones Charles Dickens used in A Tale of Two Cities and Oliver Twist.

For those who think the witch of a mother got off free, please think about the scene in which Cassandra visits her. It's obvious that the mother's guilt is so intense that it has her terrified, and preoccupies her even though her mind is barely able to grasp any abstract thought or recognize her family. Or didn't you notice?

Did any of you critics understand the way that the gay husband wanted to move to the boonies to help preserve the secret of his sexual orientation, or the comment he made to Cassandra when he found she was getting wrapped up in the life of the little town, or the way she encouraged him to get involved, even though he was inclined to remain aloof to preserve the secret of his homosexuality, or the happiness he felt as the men of the town accepted him at face value and applauded his contribution to their cricket team?

And finally, if the subtleties the author wove into this tale are beyond your comprehension, just who the hell do you think you are to tear into his treatment of a story as complex as this one?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Education

The Problem Hans:- Some folks are less educated than others but we all have to live together... So we must take the good with the bad!

However, looking at the scoring... it is clear that the majority of readers are scoring the story very high & I've just added my 5* worth.

19pvc44

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
If this is your first...

...long(er) story, great job! I often only read fan-works because I already know the characters in the story, but you managed to get me to know them just fine except Huw.

Yeah, there was little to none of the smut I was looking for, and the villain in the story is a little cliché, and excessively cruel, but that didn't detract too much from the overal feel of the separation-reunion storyline. I do think you should have made the ordeal 10 years instead of twenty. Two decades is a really, really long time. And it gives Cassie's mother the last laugh that she has stolen twenty years from their marriage.

9/10.

MainboyMainboyover 2 years ago

Brilliant. Anything but perfect and at times badly confusing because of out of time bits such as the telephone conversation that probably ended the nurse's life. That had me back-paging frantically and I have to admit, I still do not understand why it is where it is or where it was supposed to go. There were others but the complexity of the story must have ben the reason for some wierd moments out of sync.

Great story line. Interesting jab at the British stiff upper lip with which I disagree. Recommendable read that showed considerable research done and added just that needed bit to make a great story.

rayironyrayironyover 2 years ago
Quite good and more than a bit ambitious.

There were some little pissy things that still need attention, some discontinuities and the like.

Metal sculpture ( it's my chosen medium)...Copper is difficult to weld with a torch. TIG is best for that.

Many other metals anneal with heat though most are not so forgiving as copper...And so on. Resisting the impulse to offer TMI here

As a child of strong headed parents who would force their wills on me "For my own good", even as a young adult...I identified strongly .

Very strong for an early piece!...Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

What a horrid story, my god the man was in mental hospitals for most of his adult life after only 2 years with her and he instantly forgives her? What a bunch of bullshit! She goes off and has a nice comfortable life while he suffers in an institution for 10 years, spends another decade being constantly monitored and yet all's well that ends well? Completely and utterly unrealistic nonsense.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This was an enjoyable read. I'll admit though, I wish the mother suffered a different comeuppance. And the ending could have gone further. The heart break of finding out he had a daughter who knew someone else as her daddy for 20 years.

stewartbstewartb7 months ago

One of the great stories I have read on Literotica. A few of the transitions from one character to another needed to be handled clearer. Funny but I did not miss the 2,000 sex scenes as per usual in most romances.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

One small thing - there were several times when characters I thought were American used Brit usage (pear shaped comes to mind). Still this was enjoyable.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCromagnonman@Cromagnonman
I'm a pretty normal average male, chronologically well over 18 but psychologically I'm not so sure. I have been writing as a hobby for many years and now that I have time on my hands I am looking to become more professional at it. I enjoy reading, morning walks along the river...

story TAGS