Out West Ch. 12: Sharpy's Creek

Story Info
The Ladies reach their destination.
4.9k words
4.8
3.5k
5

Part 12 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/13/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Pixiehoff
Pixiehoff
1,322 Followers

As Martha's Journal takes up the account again when we reached our "Promised Land", I shall continue our decent from "Mount Nebo."

Ruth, Evie's foster-sister, had been up and about early, gathering water from the stream and helping Kate prepare a breakfast. She spotted Evie and I as we emerged from my tent.

"No need to ask if you two had a good time," Kate laughed. Ruth joined in, "it's written all over both your faces."

I felt myself blush, but Evie's arm around me made me feel good; she bent and kissed me on the lips.

"She is mine." That was all she said. I was lost - and forever found.

Martha smiled when she came across after scouting out the road ahead as usual.

"Well, glad to see my ladies all hooked up."

It was, I thought, a wistful smile, and there was, in her eyes, a sadness I had seen growing. I was the more conscious of it given my own blissful state.

We breakfasted, loaded up the wagon and the mules and then set off.

I talked a little with Martha, but she was impenetrable, as though armouring herself.

"Now is this blasted place "Sharky's or Sharpy's Creek?" She asked me, in mock exasperation, as though I should know. But Evie had the answer.

"Sharpy's, after Tim Sharp, but the locals nick-named it 'Sharky's' because he gobbles up all the little fish. He owns the place, lock, stock and every barrel."

That, I thought, sounded like my brother.

We went the final miles in silence, each of us with her own hopes and fears. I will let Martha's Journal take up the tale again.

[Martha's Journal]

'So, this is Sharpy's Creek?' Them was my first thoughts, as I tried to take in as much as possible while keeping an eye on my girls and on the wagon.

Missouri never had what you might think of as a boom town, and nothing like the shacks stacked one on another in Gold Country. However, as nasty a place as those were reported to be, Sharpy's Creek was near to civilized. There was no doubt that if there were a brick stacked on another it was in the big building's fireplace and nowhere else; but this was not tent city either.

I led the wagon train into town. No one took much notice of us at all, and given the excitement along the trail, I was happy with that. I found we were on the main street through the town. It ran dead straight pretty much East to West, the road was wide, wide enough for two freight wagons to pass without trouble even with, but also wide enough for horses to be tied. All those things showed for thought but what really got my attention was that the street was and paved with gravel not just a mud dirt track. There were boardwalks running the full length along both sides running in front of one-story stores and businesses as well as the two-story buildings.

I watched people move back and forth, they seemed friendly. It was clear that men seemed polite to the women, as I would expect in the nicest neighborhoods in Saint Louis. Given the rat holes we had seen, Sharpy's Creek was in many ways better organized and run than Pierre or even Sioux Falls maybe even City of Kansas.

I had read about boom towns which were too often flea-infested shacks passed from one desperate wretched soul to another, but this place was as different as night was from day. This place had a feel that it was built for a purpose - and to last.

Most buildings on the main street were one storey with the traditional false fronts painted with garish signs to attract customers, but others were actual two-storey buildings whose signage was more subdued, advertising the services provided in a more sedate manor than I was used to. Plus, they were often right out in the open, not pushed off into some darkened corner of the town where less desirable people often are. The finely painted and unusually subtle script still described in some detail the services offered and their costs. I counted at least three and as many as five brothels in the town.

"Excuse me mister, but where is the livery office, I have to deliver these supplies?" I asked a gentleman who politely made himself available to me by seemingly blindly walking out into the street right in front of my horse at an opportune moment, forcing me to pull Fury up short.

He looked me up and down a bit but decided either he liked what he saw or was too scared not to answer. He glanced back at my train, Pixie and Evie were in the Surrey, he held his tongue about both, behind them was the freight wagon with Kate was riding lead Emma on the buckboard, along with Ruth, and all the other wagons bringing up the rear. You could almost see his wheels turning, given that this fine upstanding gentleman was crossing the street in a bee-line for of the establishments of relaxation I had noted, I think he wondered if they might someday be on the menu. I let him go on thinking.

"Up the road near the big house at the top of the hill, past that is the Mine Office, then the livery."

He started on his way again, when I asked.

"Is there somewhere with rooms for rent, and a place to get some decent grub, I am tired of beans." I asked again, leaning on my saddle with a smile as wide and friendly as I could make it.

"Just before the big house is Molly McCallion's place, she does both." He took one step.

"Is it fit for women?" I asked.

Judging by the bulge in his trousers I was keeping him from using some poor thing or at least delaying him, which was giving me a bit of fun.

"I have young women with delicate sensibilities that I have to look after, you understand."

Again smiling, he glanced several times at my tools both on my belt and hanging from my saddle.

"That is about all that place is good for, pretty much all women from what I hear. Miner's widows and wives from what I hear. Never been upstairs afore, men ain't allowed as far as I know, so would not know about the accommodations. The food is decent, best in town. Is there anything else you needin' to know?"

He was clearly at the end of his patience. I noticed his 'interest' had waned so.

"No, I am fine," I said, he took a step.

"Oh yes, I forgot to ask, anyone in charge in this here growing metropolis?"

I thought he was going to choke, but he kept his hands away from his belt.

"Sharp, Tim Sharp, he lives in the big house and owns the town."

He went to take a step.

"May I go now Mister?" I nodded and he quick stepped to the other side and through the door, without the givin' me another chance to hinder his errand. I chuckled to myself, I hoped he did not take it out on some poor girl.

I nodded toward Pixie, she was doing all she could to contain herself, and Evie had her arms around her love holding her with all her might. It was sweet, I spurred Fury and we started toward the big house.

"Sharp Family", read the sign across the entrance to the big house, the house was built properly with good quality woodwork and even decent carving; the paint was just like I would have expected in the nicer neighborhoods of Saint Louis. Whoever built it, as well as the rest of the town, wanted to build to last, and be proud of what was left standing.

I had just gotten off Fury, and tied him up, when out of the door came a figure who made an immediate impression. Tall, taller than me, he must have topped six feet three, with shoulders broad enough to have carried the oak tree which he otherwise resembled. His longish blonde hair (quite unlike Pixie's) was collar length, and he sported one of those van Dyke beards which always bespoke a dandy. His clothes matched that, tailor-made suit with a waistcoat and a fine handsome watch chain. He was a fine handsome fellow, that was for sure; had charisma. Unsurprisingly, given the menagerie parking itself outside his front door, he cast us a look as though to say: 'What the Dickens?'

As I stepped up onto the boardwalk, I heard a squeal and was nearly bowled over by a tiny tornedo as I saw blur explode past me.

"Tim! Tim! Tim!" Was all she screamed during the path of destruction she made. I must have been smiling as from ear to ear, I glanced back at a dusty and exhausted Kate, and noticed Emma was trying her best to wash the dust from her face. I suspected she was hopeful of catching Tim's eye. My smile must have dimmed a bit, I glanced back at Kate who must have followed my eyes to Emma. Kate's eyes showed the sympathy she was giving me. My face must have betrayed the mixed feelings I was feeling then, I knew that Emma loved me, I also knew that she wanted a man to marry and give her a family, I would not stand in the way of that, but I just wished there was another way. A way that meant I did not have to watch the woman I loved, work so hard to catch someone else's eye.

"Cyn. Cynthia, what the devil, how in God's name?"

Tim had recognised his sister at once; well, there was only one like that in the whole world. I understood how he could be confused, after all in his mind Cynthia was a little girl living in the lap of luxury in a country clear across the world.

Pixie flung her arms round his neck as she leapt up at him. Clearly long practice and custom had prepared him for her mode of greeting, as he held her, looking into her eyes.

"What are you doing here Squirt?"

"Looking for you, you great big ox!" She replied.

Evie stood next to her. She was nearly the same height as Tim, and she was watching Pixie with adoration in her eyes. I saw Tim's eyes scan her - she got that reaction she did from every man she ever met. Emma might have a problem, it occurred to me.

"But why? I'm not going back, and you can tell Pa that if he's sent you?"

"Mule," Pixie said, descending, with Evie's help, back to street level, where she relaxed into her lover's embrace.

"I was going to find a way of telling you, but this better be it. Papa is no more Tim; you are Lord Sharpton!"

For a moment Tim looked stunned.

"Well, I'll be! Wasn't that damned electrics man, was it?"

"It was," Pixie replied.

"Well, we'll discuss it later Cyn, but who is this charming lady with you, and the beautiful ladies seated with this gentleman?"

"This," she said, looking at Evie with a tenderness that would have melted a heart of iron, "is Evie, my love and my life."

"Lord Tim," Evie said, with a great smile, as though she knew what he had been thinking but wanted to set things on the right course from the start, "pleased to meet you, I am Pixie's partner and love, Evie."

You have to give it to these English aristocrats, that famous stiff upper lip did not quaver for a second. He'd just heard that his sister was a lesbian, was in a relationship with an American Indian and was now going by the name of Pixie, and what did the man do? He inclined his head with a great broad smile.

"Well, Evie, it is my honour to meet you, and I must say," he said, smiling at his little sister who was bursting with pride, "Pixie sure suits you better than Squirt, even if the parson might think Cyn with another spelling was a better name."

With that he gave Evie, and Pixie a huge bear hug.

When they emerged from the hug, Pixie did the honours.

"This is our leader and protector..." Pixie started pointing to me.

"Jack Anders, pleased to meet you..." I stepped forward quickly, I was not willing to give up my persona at least not until I understood the lay of the land.

The look of surprise in his face showed he knew the name. "Jack Anders? I am informed a man by that name cleared out a den of snakes between here and Pierre, and then shot some villains only yesterday... Ruthie! You are safe! Was that you?"

"It was..." I responded, I noticed Kate and Emma tensed.

"My God that was good work man!" My right arm was suddenly grasped with vigor and thrown up and down with gusto. "Good man! Good man!" It was then that I saw Kate and Emma beaming with pride. Evie and Pixie looked slightly askance, but it was best, as I told them later, that Jack Anders took credit for the deaths - it would mean that anyone wanting revenge would be searching for me, not them.

"I see that you brought my Surrey, and a horse for it, the girls will be happy for that."

He looked down the line of wagons.

"Thank God for the much-needed supplies. Do introduce me to your charming companions, dear sister... Pixie!"

He savoured the name and liked it.

As she and Tim had been talking, Emma had been taking the opportunity to fix her hair. She had already put on a most becoming dress - at least Pixie said it was becoming, my own view was that it became her well if she wished to become Tim's bedmate. They would certainly make a fine couple - looking like those Saxon kings and queens I saw in the history texts we used at school.

"This is my friend Kate, who has come with me from New York," Pixie said, helping her down from the wagon, "and you know Ruth, clearly, and this," she said, "last but not least is Emma."

Pixie said it with a flourish, and I saw Tim's eyes appraise her: men! From the glint, he liked what he saw.

"Delighted to meet you, your Lordship," Emma said, curtseying; that woman never ceased to surprise me. Where the heck had she learned to do that? It certainly tickled Tim who gave her his hand.

"Glad to meet a lady in this wilderness. Pixie, why don't you all go in the house, my man will settle you all, then come down for supper?"

Pixie beamed. She was obviously so proud of her brother.

"Of course... your Lordship!"

With that, she shepherded us indoors.

I don't know what Tim and Pixie did, except have a long catch up, but the rest of us were free to bathe and relax. It felt good, at long last to be able to take our ease. For the moment, I thought it best to stay in my "Jack Anders" outfit, but put on new clothes. As we gathered for dinner, I saw the girls had also dolled themselves up.

It was interesting to me to watch as we jostled for position. Little Pixie every inch the English lady now, but with an edge that had not been there when I first met her on that train. Evie was next to her, as she always was; those two were like one. Emma was prettier than any picture I ever saw, and chatted away, never losing sight of Tim. Kate and I were as we always were, but there was a sense of getting closer. Ruthie was not present, I found later she had gone to relatives in town, which seemed sensible.

Dinner was excellent, I watched as all the women around us chatted merrily. I felt left out for the first time in a while, I had been pretendin' to be a man for so long it just seemed natural now, but suddenly there were aspects of my womanhood I missed. Being allowed to gossip, to simply chat about nothing for hours but to build my relationship with the other women by simply being together. It was something I was missing.

"Let's go out on the porch and have a chat, let the women gossip." Lord Tim asked more in the form of a command.

I found myself outside, Tim handed me a cigar, and there was a bottle of scotch and two glasses, with a note. He picked it up and laughed. "They are from father's study, Cyn, Pixie rather, brought both just for this moment. I think the new name suits the new woman I see."

"Yes, she'll never grow upward, but inside, that girl's done a lifetime of growin' - the USA is good for her - don't send her back." I added the last as a plea.

Tim poured two fingers of the scotch for each of us, handed me mine and offered the cigar, thanked him but said that I never much liked them. He simply shrugged and took one. "They are my father's best..." I shrugged and took one, following his lead as I had no idea how to deal with one. Soon we were smoking and drinking, I tried hard not to cough or vomit. It was close believe me.

"Jack, I have a problem..." Tim started as I was trying to figure out how to dump either the scotch or the cigar, preferably both.

"There are attacks, thefts on my gold shipments. Now that is to be expected but they seem to know, seems like they know before I decide when to send them." His anger was so intense I could feel it.

"I don't like losing the fruits of my men's labours, and I don't like thieves. Those men you killed at the Trading Post, and those you shot at Ruthie's were, I have cause to believe, reinforcements for the gang of robbers."

He was smoking the cigar like a chimney now.

"I have lost two of the last five shipments, I don't intend to lose another."

He went quiet as if he was expecting me to understand and offer a solution, a solution I did not have.

"I can see you have a problem" I started to say, without committing myself, clearly, he had a question he wanted to ask. "I don't see."

"I do. See, Jack. I was going to hire a professional gun to help, but such men tend to be parasites and suck off their host body. As you have begun the work of cleaning these Augean Stables, I'd like you to continue. I want to make you sheriff; I need someone like you to end these thefts."

He made his need clear, as was his ask.

"I am not a lawman, far from it, I killed bastards because I had to."

I wanted him to hear me, my guts were rolling and about to come crawling out of my mouth because I was terrified about what this would mean.

"I came here to be sure your sister got here safe, I done that, now it is time for me and mine, to keep moving on."

I was rather proud of myself, I won the argument decisively, I had managed to avoid a cigar, and out talked the owner of the town and probably brother or sister of Queen Victoria, I was feeling my oats.

I was still feeling full of myself thirty minutes later when Lord Tim and I were bent over a map of the area with marking each robbery, while I wore a shiny new badge on my lapel.

"They don't seem to have any kind of pattern."

Tim showed me the order and locations.

"First here, near the trading post,"

Then Tim marked the spots one by one until all eleven were identified, each in a new spot, located from Sharpy's Creek to a point on the other side of the trading post.

"I had no idea you had lost so many." I mumbled as I looked at the map.

There was something bothering me about what I was seeing, but it took me awhile to see it. There was no pattern in where they did attack, but there was one in where they didn't.

"We are going to send the next shipment by stagecoach, it should be safer than my own freight wagons and maybe they won't figure on it." Tim went on talking.

"Have you noticed they are avoiding this area right here?"

I pointed to the spot on the map, it was rocky like everything else, nondescript from the map, and passed close to the road so why not there?

"Is there anything in that area?"

I asked, the more that spot was blank, the more it bothered me.

"There is nothing much, just a couple false starts we tried before finding this claim. We could ride out and take a look if you want, I can send a couple boys with you."

"Not right yet, I need to ferret out the traitor first."

"Traitor?"

Tim asked, the tone of voice spoke volumes on his shock that such a thing might be possible.

"Of course, a traitor, how do they know what the shipping routes are and where to set up the ambushes?"

I must have looked at him as if he grew two heads.

"You sent them on different routes, different times, they got hit all over the territory? Of course, someone is feeding them information."

I left him, telling him I wanted to have a word with Kate. I knew that men were terrible at keeping secrets when they are between the legs of a woman, so I needed Kate to help me out with the local whores, because Jack Anders with a badge was sure not going to sow trust in the local entertainment.

"What have you got yourself into now?" She asked.

I must have looked like a sight when I got to our rooms. I was looking for Emma, but she wasn't there. Pixie nor Evie either.

"They aren't here they went exploring, and Emma went to see what she could find to pretty herself up some."

Pixiehoff
Pixiehoff
1,322 Followers
12